HomePortalCalendarGalleryFAQSearchRegisterMemberlistUsergroupsLog in

Share | 

Confederate Spring Fling

Go down 
AuthorMessage

PostSubject: Confederate Spring Fling   Wed Mar 26, 2008 2:09 pm

*A silver envelope arrives by messenger for you*

My Dear Confederates,

This is a formal invitation to a Spring Party and Ball occuring on the feast of St. Hugh, April 1st in the year of our lord 1720. In Tampico New Spain at the estate of Hew McDraig of McDraig.

Acttivites will include A daily bullfight provided by the magistrate of Tampico to honor the help members provided on Easter. Carriages will be provided for transportation.

There will be a dance every evening folowing dinner. Ceilidh and continental dances will be performed. RSVP so my staff may ready your guest rooms.

Carriages will await you at the wharf in Tampico present this to the footman for travel.

(( this is another opportunity for RP here on the boards. Please feel free to post any and all responses here. Oh, have some fun! ))
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Confederate Spring Fling   Fri Mar 28, 2008 10:24 am

Hew awaited the reply to his message. Cathern was worried about news from France. He hoped he could cheer her up. When the reply came the answer was "blue". Hew readied to go to the Tailor in Pitre, to replace the suit he had lost last week. the ball was fast approaching and needed new formal wear. Perhaps new boots as well.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Confederate Spring Fling   Sat Mar 29, 2008 11:16 pm

Cathern spun this way and that looking at herself in the large mirror. “Why did I say blue?” The tailor stood with his hands clasped together a look of concern on his face. “Does it not please you Madame?” Cathern looked over at Jazelle. The slave examined her owner and played a bit with the fabric. “I…I don’t think it suits you Mistress.” Cathern spun around again then shook her head. “No, this won’t do; not at all. You’ll have to do better, and let’s try it in green this time. I think blue isn’t a good color for me no matter how much I wish it to be.” The tailor nodded his head inwardly cringing at the extra work on short notice. “And…this dress? I’ll still receive payment yes?” Cathern looked again at herself in the mirror then over to Jazelle. “Fit the dress for my slave. She needs a new outfit anyway.” Jazelle beamed at the gift. “Thank you, oh thank you so much Mistress.” Cathern smiled. “Think nothing of it my dear. You were due for some new clothes and you have certainly earned it. Very clever of you girl, to stitch up Mr. McDraig’s wounds so that the scar would be in the shape of a C”. The slave looked a bit embarrassed. “No need to deny it. Intentional or not Mr. McDraig seems to like it.” The tailor coughed a bit. “Umm, the money Madame?” Cathern flashed a look of irritation. “Calm yourself you greedy man. Do I look like some street urchin about to run off with your dress?” The tailor sputtered a bit, worried about future sales disappearing before his eyes. “I...I am sorry Madame. It is my fault and stupidity entirely. Of course you are no thief. My sincere apologies! Since this dress displeased you I will give it to you at a 25% discount. Yes! That will make up for my impertinence?” Cathern waved her hand imperiously. The tailor scrunched his face up and said “How about…40% off?” Cathern looked the man in the eyes, “Very well, and the next dress had better be to my liking or I’ll go elsewhere.” The tailor nodded emphatically and promised his best work. “Jazelle, see that Mr. McDraig is informed of the change in colors.” The slave smiled, still very pleased at the dress she was about to get. “Of course Mistress. As you wish.”
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Confederate Spring Fling   Mon Mar 31, 2008 10:26 am

The courier hurried down the gangplank to the quay. He asked directions from the harbor master to the location of a livery. After acquiring a fine steed, the young man galloped down the road in the direction of the McDraig estate. The ride reminded the clansman of how much he missed a good horse. Since he fled from his beloved highlands, the sea has been home.

Arriving at the McDraig villa, he dismounted. After straightening his blue cap adorned with a white cockade he dusted off his hunting kilt. He strode to the door where he was greeted by one of the McDraig servants.

"I bring this message from me kinsman to Cap'tn McDraig."

The servant accepted the letter and hurried inside.

After inspecting the seal on the letter, Hew broke it and read:

"On behalf of his kinsmen, Captain MacTamhais is most honored to accept your gracious invitation to celebrate the Feast of St. Hugh with the MacDraig clan. Please make appropriate arrangements for the transport of Lady MacTamhais, her two nieces and the servants to their accommodations. Anne and Katherine have been practicing all the latest dances & pray the young men will find them attractive. They will be arriving on the 'Redhawk' with the tide at Tampico on the evening of March 31. I shall arrive on the morn of the first with the 'cruach mor'."

Your Humble & Obedient Servant,
Ruiseart of MacTamhais
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Confederate Spring Fling   Tue Apr 01, 2008 8:52 am

On a Wednesday afternoon, while I was caring the roses in the garden, Patricia, our nanny, came to see me holding a silver letter. “Hum.. these flowers are beautiful. Mam, a messenger just brought this for you and maître Réjean”. My hands all dirty with mud, I asked her to place the letter on the table in the veranda. My hands washed I sit at the table, pour fresh water in a glass and open the envelope. At first sight I thought it was a hoax for Fool’s Day, a dance in Tampico!!! On April 1st!! Well, this letter is from a member of the Highland Confederacy, they are trustworthy people but...

Upon my request, Patricia asked one of the shipyard’s lad if any of our Confederate friends was about to visit the shipyard. Our good Bishop had in fact just come in to see how his new ship's construction was going. I went there and asked him if he’d heard anything about a spring fling for St-Huge. It was true! And as usual, Réjean was out of town... and neither have I a dress to wear nor Réjean a decent garment for such an occasion... and the children... and a response must be sent.. “Patricia, I will urgently need your help” “Yes Mam, what can I do for you?” “Patricia I want you to... and after...and don’t forget.... make sure that...and finally ..." I then sent a messenger to the wharf where my husband was due in, asking him to come home immediately.

After a short conversation, Réjean and I decided we would go to Tampico and that the children would accompany us.

I rushed to the store to get fabrics and request the presence of a seamstress and her aides to come with us on the ship, money no longer had any meaning. We would have to sew all the proper garments while sailing to our destination. Meanwhile, Réjean was supervising the preparation of one of our ships to accommodate so many people.

Dear Captain MacDraig of the MacDraig clan.

It is our pleasure and honour to accept your gracious invitation to the Feast of St.Hugh.
Our three younger kids, Gabriel and his twin sisters Rébecca and Delphine will accompany us, along with our usual retinue.
Sadly our two eldest sons are held back by their obligations, the eldest a Navy Officer is in a mission with his squadron
while the other one is still in Kebec over-seeing some of our operations there.
We shall arrive with the morning tide, on April 1st on board l’Aigle des Mers.

Your humble servants

Capitaines Fantastik Mam and Réjean Lemay
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Confederate Spring Fling   Tue Apr 01, 2008 12:58 pm

Hew woke up early as the day was full of activity. The new green clothes were very nice. Immmediately Hew was set upon by his servant Camilla.
"Good morning Senor Hew, What a great day it is. Capitane Flowers is coming and so many children. Oh the house will be full of life." Hew smiled " Yes Camilla it will be nice with so many children about. I often... Camilla the floral arrangements." The two of them ran down stairs. Attacking each floral arrangement. "What do we have around the house whatever that isnt poisonus from the green house" Hew was panting. "Umm what did Cathern say what ever is in season." Hew barked to everyone in range get the pink flowers down and the purple ones up. Hew wanted to avoid any drama after Easter and wanted it all to be peaceful and fun. " The rose petals Camilla Dont forget those."
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Confederate Spring Fling   Wed Apr 02, 2008 8:29 pm

The bull fight was a pageant unto its self. The locals dressed in white. There were ladies selling food from stalls. Tamales and roasted meat. The confederate entourage took seats ushered to them near the magistrate. He stood and thanked us all, especially Cathern and I for providing aid when the British attacked. My Spanish is not all that good, so we al smiled and waved. We had a server who ran and fetched what ever we wanted. So the men and some of the ladies had ales brought to us. There was a small parade as the "matadores" each with their own job there were lancers, swordsmen and what appeared to be a dashing fellow with nothing but a cape. The show was spectacular the men seemed to respect the animal in some way. The bull was lanced and worn down some then the lead fellow goaded him to attack time and time again. Very dextrous must be a fantastic fencer. It was a dance of bravery finally the bull was killed with a sword blow. We all cheered for the fighters and the bull who met his end with bravery. There were several more fights as the day wore on we climbed in our carriages and headed to the house to clean up for the nights feast.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Confederate Spring Fling   Thu Apr 03, 2008 1:46 am

Cathern had applauded and smiled at the spectacle of the bull fight. It was the first she had ever seen. She was impressed by the courage of both man and beast. Cathern and Hew had stolen glances, smiles and touches with each other during the fights, but all very low key. It was an exciting day and more excitement was to come. After the fights carriages and wagons came to pick up the party guests and sailors who attended the fights. The bumpy ride ended soon enough and everyone piled out. It was warm but the oppressive heat of summer hadn’t taken hold yet. The Scots and Cathern’s crew were getting on famously which pleased her. Those that had not gone to the fights were engaged in their own contests of skill and singing bawdy Highland and sailor songs. Camilla and the house staff were there to greet the guests with welcoming smiles of good cheer.

Camilla informed the party guests that tubs of water had been placed in each of the guest quarters to freshen up with and that they could all take a nap. The staff would wake up the guests in plenty of time for them to dress for the dance. Camilla seemed to give extra attention to her but Cathern couldn’t be sure. Cathern and Jazelle found their way to their quarters, right next to Hew’s of course. Cathern and the slave chatted about the bull fights as Cathern disrobed to wash up. She squatted in the large tub of water and splashed water over her body while Jazelle scooped up water and poured it over her owner’s head. The cool water felt good and in no time the day’s dust was washed clean. After the refreshing bath Cathern felt very relaxed and didn’t even bother getting dressed again. It might have been scandalous but she slept into the bed nude and was asleep in no time. Jazelle got Cathern’s clothes ready for the dance then slipped into the tub herself. There was a Scot that fancied her and she had the new dress. Cathern was allowing her to attend the dance and she planned on making the most of the opportunity. After all, Jazelle was promised her freedom in a couple years. After taking care of her duties and cleaning up, Jazelle put on her sleep clothes and slipped into the bed beside her owner. Soon Jazelle was sleeping too, thoughts of the young Scot dancing through her mind.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Confederate Spring Fling   Sun Apr 06, 2008 5:36 pm

Camilla had really Out did herself. She and the other cooks had brought together produced a masterful feast. Spicy lamb and goat dishes with tortillas. Paella and lobster etouffee and fried smelt were the seafood dishes. Most importantly the haggis was piped in by MacTamhais . Cathern tried it and smiled although she may have done so just to please me. I found it fantastic nearly as good as my dear departed mothers. I tried to sell the Lemay’s that the haggis was like a boudin but not sure how well it went over. Dessert was to follow some dancing as it was just being made.
The sword dance was performed by the MacTamhais girls. They even knew the bualidh mi u an sa chean from my native Skye.. When I told the Lemay’s it was the "I will break your head" dance. I am afraid it may have damaged the matches being discussed. Cathern thought the whole situation was funny and giggled over the situation.

The waltzes were first Cathern and I danced everyone. We held each other close and she would often kiss my cheek or whisper in my ear. She seemed very happy tonight. " Thank you so much darling this is so fun." She said. " All for you my dear, Im glad your happy." I replied

The glace was served shortly there after in both cacao and vanilla flavors. It was very much a hit as many of the young ladies had never had any.
Cathern walked over to window and I followed. "This is so nice Hew everything my mother wanted for me." She said as she held me close and put her head on my shoulder." Its all yours dear just say so." She held me tight and kissed my cheek.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Confederate Spring Fling   Mon Apr 07, 2008 1:59 am

“What?” Jazelle just continued her smiling. Cathern repeated her question “What?!” Jazelle giggled while helping her owner get undressed. “It’s nothing Mistress. Just, you are glowing. I don’t recall ever seeing you so flushed with happiness.” Cathern shimmied out of her ball dress then helped Jazelle out of hers. “Well, it was a most enjoyable time girl. I seen you were having quite the time yourself with one of the Scots again, the same one you fancied last time we visited. You also look like you are a bit drunk!” Jazelle giggled once again and nodded. “I am feeling very good Mistress. And yes, one of the Scots had taken quite the fancy to me. Andrew was very nice to me and he is so handsome. He had never seen a dark skinned slave like me dressed up in finery before.” The slave continued talking about Andrew, practically gushing with praises for the young Scottish fisherman and the wonderful time she had.

Cathern poured some water into the basin then splashed the water on her face while listening to Jazelle. Cathern was feeling very relaxed and pleased with how things were going. Jazelle finally paused her chatter then turned down the bed. Cathern looked at her slave. “Jazelle, would you like to stay here in Tampico? Win that lad’s heart? Become a mother and housewife?” Jazelle looked a bit stunned, unsure what to say. “Everything you learned to date would become virtually useless. There would be no ship of your own in your future. No more lessons in languages, navigation and the like. It would be a life of poverty, hard labor, and little adventure.” Jazelle blinked then sat on the bed. “Are you…..offering me my freedom Mistress?” Cathern sat beside her slave. “I wouldn’t offer to free you and just leave you to the wolves so to speak. You can stay with me, do my bidding and please my every whim. I’ll continue to see to your education and keep my promise to free you in a few years. Or I can leave you here at Hew’s house. You can help with the staff here still as my property. You can try and win young Andrew’s heart and I’ll free you if he consents to marrying you. You don’t need to decide now girl.”

Jazelle stared at the floor, her mind awash with thoughts of freedom. “You have been very good to me Mistress and only once have you really been…harsh to me.” Jazelle paused remembering the horrible night of gang rape forced upon her for disobedience. Jazelle had thought to kill Cathern while she slept and then herself. Cathern’s kindness and tenderness after the event stayed her hand and eventually Jazelle came to accept that she was still a slave but had the promise of freedom and education from this woman. “I need time to think Mistress. I long to be free, but I want to be more than a common wife. You have shown me that a woman can be more than wife, a menial servant, or a whore. Thank you so much Mistress for the opportunity to decide.” Cathern lay down in the bed and guided Jazelle to lie next to her. Cathern turned and gave Jazelle a kiss on the forehead. “Rest now girl you can decide tomorrow after speaking with Andrew.” The two lay in silence, and eventually fell asleep while spooned, Cathern on the outside, arm holding her slave close. Several hundred yards away in a small shack he shared with his parents, brothers and sisters, a young Scot was making love to Jazelle in his dreams.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Confederate Spring Fling   Tue Apr 08, 2008 11:09 pm

Dawn broke and the morning sun filtered into the room. Cathern yawned, opened her eyes and smelled coffee. Jazelle was already up with some coffee waiting. “Good morning Mistress. I hope you slept well.” Cathern sat up and stretched. “Yes, well enough and you girl? No hangover?” Jazelle held her head and gave a strained laugh. “I have felt better but it isn’t too bad. It was worth it though to have such a fine time.” Cathern slipped out of the bed, lifted her night dress then squatted over the chamber pot. Finishing her business Cathern stood then splashed some water on her face. Cathern helped herself to the coffee while Jazelle started the usual packing. “Have you thought about what I said last night girl?” Jazelle stuffed a dress into the sea trunk and nodded.

“Yes Mistress. As much as I like Andrew I enjoy the future that staying with you holds. I can be a housewife any time. But I have only this one shot to be something more than your slave, something more than just a wife and mother. If I learn all you can teach me, and someday have my own boat, I will have achieved more than most men. If the sea life ends up not appealing to me, I can still get wed and be a mother. No, I will loyally serve you Mistress. I have a confession to make though. It has weighed on me for some time.” Cathern sipped her coffee and listened to the slave turned cabin girl.

Jazelle fidgeted a bit and played with her dress then continued. “I hated you when you first bought me as I hated all who owned slaves. Just another white person ordering me around and I had no choice in it. I hated you when you made me…please you at night and I swore to murder you after you punished me for resisting it. What the crew did to me...” Jazelle had tears trickle down her face, the mental scars of that night still painful. “Yes, I was going to kill you and then myself. But after that night you were always tender to me and you began teaching me things I never dreamed I would learn. Eventually I figured out as long as I was obedient, you would treat me as you would a sister or daughter instead of just a slave. I AM a slave but I know with you that I won’t always be so and I will have a real future. You have given me the hope of a life that few slaves could ever achieve. “

Cathern stood and wiped the slave’s tears away and gave her a squeeze. The slave returned the hug. It had been decided. For better or worse, Jazelle would stay on the ship. The two got dressed and Jazelle finished the packing. Camilla and the staff had prepared a hearty breakfast for all. In a few hours, the good byes were said and Cathern set sail, Jazelle at her side. Young Andrew stood on the dock waving good bye, looking forward to the next visit of the dark beauty.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Confederate Spring Fling   

Back to top Go down

Confederate Spring Fling
Page 1 of 1