Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

BATTLE FOR GRENVILLE

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage

BATTLE FOR GRENVILLE Empty
PostSubject: BATTLE FOR GRENVILLE   BATTLE FOR GRENVILLE Icon_minitimeMon Apr 07, 2008 7:10 am

The battle for the defense of Grenville will take place Tuesday 11:00 pm PDT, which is 02:00 Wednesday EDT.
I have been asked to survey how many captains from HC will report for duty. I do not have to stress the importance of this battle for France.

For those who will be there and ready to accept the invite, please state your Career, your Level and the ship you will take into the battle (possibly an alternate ship also if you're uncertain as to which one would be the best to take into the defense of our main hub.

Réjean Lemay, privateer lvl 49 ( i will be by then) Triton, alternate Defiant

It seems that France as a whole wont fight for Grenville, my heart disagree but, my head tells me it is the right thing to do. In view of this I will go to the battle with a packet-boat fit for speed, only for speed and will lead some of them at least in the longest chase they ever had.
if another Captain in a small civil boat would agree to take the fort we could keep them there for two hours or even more.
A small action, a nonsense action, but a satisfying one, in the context. The system, the permits us to do it so lets do it and as they so much love to say: No crying in the red

Last edited by Maitre Rej on Mon Apr 07, 2008 7:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: BATTLE FOR GRENVILLE   BATTLE FOR GRENVILLE Icon_minitimeMon Apr 07, 2008 8:15 am

What????

Who attacked Grenville?

Bog
Back to top Go down
Namo Larkin
Proprietor-General
Proprietor-General
Namo Larkin

Number of posts : 355
Registration date : 2008-01-11

Character sheet
Locations: Cayo, Tampa
Production: LV, Teak, and Ships
Requirements: Hulls or Parts for Hulls

PostSubject: Re: BATTLE FOR GRENVILLE   BATTLE FOR GRENVILLE Icon_minitimeMon Apr 07, 2008 9:03 am

The rats of course they know the fighting french will let them have it for 3 days.......

OOC

Ok so Namo is not suprised about it. With the degradation of contention turned off it is pretty easy now to put any port into contention. So far the word is around that there is no reason to fight PB againest the rats as it is seen as not really effecting victory status. The rats went for Cayo we let them have it. They went for PdP, IP, Leg, and we had less than 10 show up for PB. Then when we put turpitude into PvP there were some in Conquest that weren't happy about that not sure why. I know there are some that will say why did they do it at such a bad time. Well cause that is when they did it. It wasn't done then to keep us from a PB we don't seem to need a reason other than its the Rats.... Make any excuse you want we as a Nation brought this upon our selfs.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: BATTLE FOR GRENVILLE   BATTLE FOR GRENVILLE Icon_minitimeMon Apr 07, 2008 3:01 pm

Far as I am concerned the Rats are nothing but a bunch of yellow backed, arse sniffing, toenail biting lubbers. Not a one o them can sail a ship without beaching it.... so count me in.

Nicole la Souris,
40th Naval Officer
Either my Falcon (1 dur left) or my Defiant (slow as hell but armored up)

What I gotta do to qualify to get into this battle?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: BATTLE FOR GRENVILLE   BATTLE FOR GRENVILLE Icon_minitimeMon Apr 07, 2008 3:08 pm

/hijack on

((OOC)) Rumor has it that Pirates have a couple abilities that when used properly makes it so they cannot be sunk.... Far as I see it- this is an exploit (although not against rules). I hope people that have seen this occur have reported it LOUD and clear....

2 things- One some in Nation channel are upset about this and figure if we are even a little undermanned in a PB = we'd lose due to this exploit so if the port isn't seriously important, they refuse the invite.

Secondly it was rumored and I can believe - that the Rats got their act together... took note of when the French as a whole are not on= put a port in contention and time that to coincide to when we are fewest. Far as I am concerned- this concept is just good strategy.... *wonders what Brit told the Rats how to do that? lol*

/hijack off
Back to top Go down
Edwin Stewart

Edwin Stewart

Number of posts : 143
Registration date : 2007-12-08

Character sheet
Locations: Tampa, New Orleans
Production: Ironmongery and Naval Stores (Guns, shot,repair items, keels, frames, planks, mast, spars, sails, rigging, tar, etc Everything but assembly)
Requirements: Ores and logs

PostSubject: Re: BATTLE FOR GRENVILLE   BATTLE FOR GRENVILLE Icon_minitimeMon Apr 07, 2008 3:52 pm

Using Sacrifice For Speed, To Mean To Die, Qahwa Cannister, Grappling Cannon, Improved Vicious Thrust/Grenade, and Take Command as a boarding tactic is not an exploit per-sae, It is a poorly considered effect of the possible skill builds available to the 'rats. Right now, because of the gun range/patching interaction it is possible for a grappling equiped ship to close and disable any opponet, especially any low acceleration/sluggish ship (i.e. a lineship in line). It is a not exactly an "I win" button, but it is close.

To defeat the 'rats so equiped you need a mobile, tough, freeform groups that can quickly overcome patching/overhaul ability availabile to the rats without allowing the grapple and still be able to finish them off before the skill cooldowns refresh. However, as the 'rats have been bringing 5+ lvl 50 players, and a defensive port battle limits the ability to maneuver, it may be impractical to effectively stop them.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: BATTLE FOR GRENVILLE   BATTLE FOR GRENVILLE Icon_minitimeMon Apr 07, 2008 4:13 pm

First off... Kristn will be there in either a Stral or MC Stral. It all depends on when I take delivery of my MC.

Secondly, as I posted on the official boards the rats don't have as much choice on this as people think. Remember they play by the same rules we do and our actions as a nation impact how they do things.

In this case remember that we didn't show for Santiago/Leogane (I forget which) but did have a few French captains in there trying to delay them. Reason being that rats in a PB are rats not in the red.

Second thing is that until that PB was resolved they didn't have a circle to put up. Like it or not the Leogane battle was in prime time and we chose, rightfully, to ignore it.

Finally the reason why we ignore it is simple. The cost of the ships we'd lose, even if we won the port battle, far outstrip any economic losses incurred by them sacking the port. We don't lose labor. While the labor is taxed we can just store up to 3 days and they only keep it 2 days. Sneak in and burn the labor down to under 1 day stored prior to the port battle and you lose no labor. Meanwhile if they lost their entire fleet they would be back up and running within a few hours, a day tops, thanks to Take Command. However I think they found the one exception, Grenville. The economic hit we'd take from losing trade into and out of Grenville for 96 hours might just exceed that of the ships lost.

The worst thing anyone can do in combat is underestimate the enemy. Underestimate them and you're only lying to yourself and putting yourself at a disadvantage. Be fair in your assessment and you're better prepared.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: BATTLE FOR GRENVILLE   BATTLE FOR GRENVILLE Icon_minitimeTue Apr 08, 2008 12:49 am

Lisette von Klein is a privateer captain, 32, and shipd for this fight are either a Mastercraft Locust outfitted for speed and firepower, or a Mastercraft Mediator Cutter, outfitted in similar fashion.

I should warn you that I have zero experience in port battles, and my relatively low level and small ship is likely to make me into little more than cannon fodder. I will happily step down in favor of anyone with a better ship and more experience, since I regard the defense of Grenville as critical.

If France puts up a stout fight for Grenville and blows the pirates back to Tortuga, and they keep attacking again and again, then losing again and again, it will almost certain give France victory in the war. French victories at Grenville will encourage the scum of the sea to seek easier pickings elsewhere.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: BATTLE FOR GRENVILLE   BATTLE FOR GRENVILLE Icon_minitimeTue Apr 08, 2008 1:58 am

The ever-industrious pirates have put not only Grenville into contention, but also Cayo de Marquis and Santiago. We shy from battle from them at our peril. I am guessing that they are trying to win now, and they are tied with us for second place (score of 212, vs. the British score of 215). If I am able to fight at Grenville, I will likely take my MC Straslund. Of all my ships, it is probably best in the line. Same goes for Cayo and Santiago.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: BATTLE FOR GRENVILLE   BATTLE FOR GRENVILLE Icon_minitimeTue Apr 08, 2008 9:01 am

Just a short note....

If the Rats or anyone else takes Grenville, and Cayo together, even for 3 days... that's gonna put one hell of a damper on both our economy and our shipbuilding.

Go stand near the Auctioneer in Gren and Cayo and count how many people come in and out in an hour and you will see the damage even 3 days will do.

Ship building..... I don't even have to say anything about that except Cayo = BIG ship construction and if its taken then Cayo = no Big ship construction
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: BATTLE FOR GRENVILLE   BATTLE FOR GRENVILLE Icon_minitimeTue Apr 08, 2008 9:46 am

Partially true. Cayo being taken means a blip in huge shop production. We also have Leogane, Turtling Bay, Santo Domingo, St. John's and Fort-de-France. That leaves Ruddy Cove, Matthew Town and Havana as the only Deep Harbours not under French control. Of those one we will not take as it is Spanish and the other two are not worth taking as we can't hold them.

However I agree about Grenville.

This is also why I am grumpy about TB sitting so high for so long. The British right now have no deep harbours. They're either purchasing them from outside the nation or they are being hit by 20-50% taxes.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: We tried, we died, we kept our honor   BATTLE FOR GRENVILLE Icon_minitimeWed Apr 09, 2008 12:56 am

The battle for Grenville went as planned. There were six French ships that showed and none were SoL and barely leveled enough to participate in a PB.

As it was- no one knew really what to do so I stepped in and tried to lead...

Rejean, FRED, Lisette, me, and 2 others (grrr cannot remember names), were there to fight, laugh and die.

Rejean took off to drag them throughout the zone, the rest of us headed for the port and lined up alongside the land. FRED and I headed a ways out to take on whomever was scouting (Dicta was their scout) He was sunk but not before FRED and I went under. They had many ships = at least 3 groups maybe 4. And quite a few were SoLs.

The PB lasted about 20 minutes and that was due to Rejean leading them on a wild goose chase. He sank mostly due to the location being so tiny... never saw a map with so many land masses. They trapped him but not before he sent one or two to the bottom.

They, (us) fought as well as we could- we went down honorably. Hopefully the next French/Rat tangle will be in our favor.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: BATTLE FOR GRENVILLE   BATTLE FOR GRENVILLE Icon_minitimeWed Apr 09, 2008 8:21 am

You know what -- this sounds like it was a lot of fun!!!

I am proud to be associated with you. *bows to Nicole, Rejean and Lisette -- while keeping a careful eye on Lisette's swordhand*

(Kristn did not make it?)

Bog
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: BATTLE FOR GRENVILLE   BATTLE FOR GRENVILLE Icon_minitimeWed Apr 09, 2008 9:11 am

Nicole humphs to herself as she eyes monsieur Bognor. "Hmmph. While I do thank you monsieur Bognor, I do indeed- but it be my sword hand you should watch for." Nicole chuckles and hugs Bognor and Lisette. "It was a fine battle even with my nerves all a-screaming."

Nicole chucks her cabinboy under the chin and tells him not to fret the battle.... there will be many more to enjoy. The cabinboy throws an emploring look to Bognor and Lisette and chases after Nicole, his face showing he dreads the next fight.
===========================================
Question Santiago went early this morning - not sure how it went.

Shocked Cayo is coming up fast.... real fast

and I know of a couple more but can't remember port names.Embarassed

=====================================

Everyone please check:

Look at your local map / PvP and check contention locations (French ports) and the times that battles will take place. Also see if you have contention points... right at bottom of the box containing port information- I always miss it for some reason. If there is nothing showing-you have no contention points.... if possible grab some.

Remember - cp (con points) will do you no good unless it matches the other nation that is contesting the port be they defenders or offenders (giggles). Somehow or another we will try and pick a couple most important and do what we must. There is a Captain's Council that is supposed to gather to determine such things.

For those who have not participated in a Port Battle... scary going in affraid , crazy while it happens What a Face, and fun fun afterwards jocolor when you can sit around and talk about it. If you are new- someone will help guide you. Ask one of us (not like I really know what I am doing in one) and we can advise on setting up your ship with upgrades and suggest cannon shot to stock up on. It truely is fun. Just don't bring a ship with one durability unless you plan on getting it scuttled Crying or Very sad .... Pirates especially = they get to keep your ship if they can board it and win Mad .

Anyway- this info was for those not sure of what Port Battles are, not for you old farts (glances at Bognor) who spend all their time fighting PvP. I love you
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: BATTLE FOR GRENVILLE   BATTLE FOR GRENVILLE Icon_minitimeWed Apr 09, 2008 12:37 pm

Bognor wrote:
You know what -- this sounds like it was a lot of fun!!!

I am proud to be associated with you. *bows to Nicole, Rejean, Kristn and Lisette -- while keeping a careful eye on Lisette's swordhand*

(Kristn did not make it?)

Bog

Edit: I see Kristn did make it. This means we were 75% of the defending force.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: BATTLE FOR GRENVILLE   BATTLE FOR GRENVILLE Icon_minitimeWed Apr 09, 2008 12:47 pm

Oh merde! Krystn I am sooooo sorry... I forgot you were there too. Please forgive me madmoiselle!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: BATTLE FOR GRENVILLE   BATTLE FOR GRENVILLE Icon_minitimeWed Apr 09, 2008 4:29 pm

Quite alright. We were indeed 75% of the defending force at Grenville. We were 100% at Santiago; Myself and Firmus. I did what I had declared I would do at Grenville but was compelled to do otherwise.

As the pirate line rounded the head of the island with the fort on it they found a lone French ship heading straight for them at full sails. I split their line lengthwise. The Olethros carried me down 2/3rds of their line and delivered broadsides to almost half of the pirate ships that showed up.

Futile? Yes.

Folly? More than likely.

But they did not chase me. They turned away from my charge. They saw one French capitane that decided to carry the fight to them. I don't dare trick myself into thinking that I had instilled fear into them. I only hope that as I show I am willing to fight and lose in spite of the odds that those other capitanes who would give up without showing up, much less without firing a shot, will be shamed by their cowardice and join the lines to redeem themselves.

((Not that I am disparaging anyone who cannot attend at those hours for whatever reason. That's fine. But imagnie how steamed I was when I got killed in Santiago, sailed off to PdP to see if that would be their next target and passed a level 49 from FES. Their entire line was not made up of 50s or even high 40s. There were a good number of 30s in there as well. I can understand and respect, even defend, people choosing to sleep or whatever outside the game. But to then inform their societies, and the French nation at large, that we would not defend means those who are online and may be entirely capable of mustering a defense are signaled not to even try. That's not a way to grow a larger PB force to cover more hours. That's a way to ensure it never grows.

And you all know I do not include HC in that statement. We were 75% of the force defending Grenville and 100% of Santiago. What is more telling is that I think everyone who was capable of attending both did.))
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: BATTLE FOR GRENVILLE   BATTLE FOR GRENVILLE Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

BATTLE FOR GRENVILLE
Page 1 of 1