Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

EDIT TO BATTLE FOR GRENVILLE

Go down 
AuthorMessage

EDIT TO BATTLE FOR GRENVILLE Empty
PostSubject: EDIT TO BATTLE FOR GRENVILLE   EDIT TO BATTLE FOR GRENVILLE Icon_minitimeMon Apr 07, 2008 7:40 pm

It seems that France as a whole wont fight for Grenville, my heart disagree but, my head tells me it is the right thing to do. In view of this I will go to the battle with a packet-boat fit for speed, only for speed and will lead some of them at least in the longest chase they ever had.
if another Captain in a small civil boat would agree to take the fort we could keep them there for two hours or even more.
A small action, a nonsense action, but a satisfying one, in the context. The system, the permits us to do it so lets do it and as they so much love to say: No crying in the red
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: EDIT TO BATTLE FOR GRENVILLE   EDIT TO BATTLE FOR GRENVILLE Icon_minitimeMon Apr 07, 2008 8:57 pm

Are you serious that Rep/FES/Comp aren't going to field a defense?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: EDIT TO BATTLE FOR GRENVILLE   EDIT TO BATTLE FOR GRENVILLE Icon_minitimeMon Apr 07, 2008 10:30 pm

Trust me, we want to, but the timing is so horrendously bad. The majority of Compagnie players are Eastern time zone... we can't make it. All we'd be doing is fielding a half-team of mid-level ships to get eaten alive. We'd lose Gren and our ships. We still might have a few folks going, but I'm certainly not going to tell anyone to lose sleep over it.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: EDIT TO BATTLE FOR GRENVILLE   EDIT TO BATTLE FOR GRENVILLE Icon_minitimeMon Apr 07, 2008 10:48 pm

I don't know if anyone has read my other posts on Grenville and the frigging Rats.

I can tell you this will not stop until we can muster enough ships to repel them at these bad hours.... They know nations are not likely to show up so THEY PLAN IT THAT WAY.... Sorry for shouting but to be honest I am ready to puke that the French nation is just giving up.

I understand somewhat how the race for a Fort is and what it does, but that is just as the Rats use their invulnerability exploit- this seems almost the same way.

I'd rather take my best ship in and get sunk... least I tried.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: EDIT TO BATTLE FOR GRENVILLE   EDIT TO BATTLE FOR GRENVILLE Icon_minitimeTue Apr 08, 2008 2:04 am

I agree with Nicole on this one. The pirates are now tied with France for second place (212, behind Britain's 215), and if we keep letting them have ports, they'll simply take enough to win. Yes, they keep losing the ports after 96 hours. However, if they manage to take enough of them at one time, they can get the victory. At present, Pirates are making efforts at Grenville, Cayo, and Santiago. If they are unopposed at all three places, they'll be four port battles from victory. Which could be just another night, if they work hard enough.

Captain N. Gaunson
Frigate Penelope, off Grenville
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: EDIT TO BATTLE FOR GRENVILLE   EDIT TO BATTLE FOR GRENVILLE Icon_minitimeTue Apr 08, 2008 3:57 am

What you are describing is not possible. The only method that the rats can win is by getting enough permanent points in addition to their 15 normal points and 3 ports to win. Why?

They can only have 3 ports flipped at a time. Once a port is flipped the battle is scheduled for 46 hours later. They keep a port for 48 hours. To do what you say they would have to flip 3 ports in the same hour, 46 hours later win all 3 ports in under an hour. They then have to flip 3 more ports in under an hour and, 47 hours later, win all three in an hour. Not only that but they would have to time it so they win all of that within an hour of the server checking for a win.

Right now they are averaging 2 hours per port flip on a single port and they are holding a steady pace of 1 port battle a day. They get a net gain of 3 points per winning port battle. So in a given week they make 21 points. If we take 2 national ports we get 20 for a loss of 1 point. A week.

Personally I'd like to see France being a tad more proactive. No reason that Turtling pay should sit at 5k unrest for 2 days straight. It didn't go higher because the Brits had 3 flipped ports. Why we decided to go after 2 targets in Antilles is beyond me. Experienced PvPers might do well in there but it cuts off the lower, inexperienced PvPers. We should be hitting Belize and Peurto Cabezas. Not because they're economically central but because it cuts off the swift Econo-bombing of TB which is significant to their war machine. From there we could get some enterprising people to put up lots to fuel a march Eastward across the Spanish Main (that is what it is down there, right Lisette?) Snapping up Bluefields, Portobelo and Maracaibo. The main reason I think that is a better idea is that there is little red overlap doing that and we can bring the full brunt of the French fleet to bear instead of only the select highest/most experienced members.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: EDIT TO BATTLE FOR GRENVILLE   EDIT TO BATTLE FOR GRENVILLE Icon_minitimeTue Apr 08, 2008 8:52 am

Interesting to note that underneath the "Just let em take it" comments are fiery French, Scots and Irish hearts..... no one wants the Rats to win or anyone else in fact. When a person steps into your home and causes mayhem you get rid of them- anyway you can (hint hint).

I feel that instead of announcing to everyone the ideas of conquest- those be dropped into Members Only section (perhaps a forum called Ready Room).

As to right now- instead of sitting and talking about it- go to bed early, set an alarm clock and rise to the occasion and let's do our best to smash the Rats. What's it going to take? 1 or 2 hours?

I realize how expensive it is to make ships.... Not only in dubloon but game time (the worst is the time). But this is also a wargame/pvp game whether we want to bemoan that or not- so why some don't expect their ships to be sunk or worse.... taken over by the Rats, confuses me. I have lost the best ships I can afford by being ganked so I know the costs.

So load the cannon boys and let's set sail into the "burning" seas and defend land, sea and our King.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: EDIT TO BATTLE FOR GRENVILLE   EDIT TO BATTLE FOR GRENVILLE Icon_minitimeTue Apr 08, 2008 11:25 am

If you all want to set your alarm clocks, by all means, please do, and good luck to you. All I know is that the Compagnie won't be losing any sleep over this game. It's fun to win, but once you start rearranging your life to meet the game's demands, there's a priority conflict in progress, one that I'm not about to start putting on my people.

Best of luck to those who are putting up a defense tonight/tomorrow morning.

((And if you want to move it to private discussion because this was a guild matter, I apologize for my interruptions, though I did feel compelled to respond to Grey's "Are you serious that Rep/FES/Comp aren't going to field a defense?" question.))
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: EDIT TO BATTLE FOR GRENVILLE   EDIT TO BATTLE FOR GRENVILLE Icon_minitimeTue Apr 08, 2008 3:36 pm

I agree. No game is worth massively adjusting your sleep schedule for. I don't go to sleep until 1-2am, pacific, on weekdays anyway.

What my statement was meant as was one part confirmation that his statement was not hyperbole. IE, a some recognizable names are unable to show so that translates into absolutely no action by those societies.

The other part was that if it is no action, why? There is no action and there is the best-we-can-do action. Personally I'd rather show up with as many ships as we can muster and at least fight than do nothing. Even if that means showing up without people who, rightfully so, are occupied cutting some Zs.

I see a decision to actively abstain from a defense of Grenville cutting off one's nose to spite one's face. I agree, it makes perfect economic and tactical sense from a society-per-society basis. But strategically it is unwise as it affection the national morale; especially those outside of the societies. Winning is great. Losing sucks. But letting your main econ and lowbie mission hug go uncontested is worse than losing. That's because if many people who aren't in a society or in smaller ones see the larger societies not bothering then, really, why should they? That depresses turnout and sets up a self fulfilling prophecy.

I say take the stand, lose if we must, then use that to rally people to guard against future attacks. At least we can say we fought and you might just draw a few more people to the ranks.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: EDIT TO BATTLE FOR GRENVILLE   EDIT TO BATTLE FOR GRENVILLE Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

EDIT TO BATTLE FOR GRENVILLE
Page 1 of 1