HomePortalCalendarGalleryFAQSearchRegisterMemberlistUsergroupsLog in

Your Grace....

Go down 
AuthorMessage

Your Grace.... Empty
PostSubject: Your Grace....   Your Grace.... Icon_minitimeWed Apr 23, 2008 4:30 pm

If you feel up to a little challenge, could dove tail off these guys and try to do a RP mass. Might be an interesting exercise for you.

http://www.burningsea.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13772
Back to top Go down

Your Grace.... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Your Grace....   Your Grace.... Icon_minitimeWed Apr 23, 2008 8:01 pm

(( This smacks of someone using PotBS to expound their religious beliefs on others ie real life. I will withdraw from this religious "rp" scenerio, with respect.))
Back to top Go down

Your Grace.... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Your Grace....   Your Grace.... Icon_minitimeWed Apr 23, 2008 8:10 pm

Hew the devout Catholic would love this.

( me the Asatru would think it would be a hoot)
Back to top Go down

Your Grace.... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Your Grace....   Your Grace.... Icon_minitimeWed Apr 23, 2008 9:17 pm

"Oh, hear us when we cry to Thee, for those in peril on the sea.."

- Mariner's Hymn

I think this would be an interesting RP activity for Catholic/Christian themed characters.
Back to top Go down
OxBaker
Privateer Captain
Privateer Captain
OxBaker

Number of posts : 410
Registration date : 2007-09-10

Character sheet
Locations: Grenville
Production: Hemp, Rope, Canvas, Cotton, Sails, Textile Unrest Bundles
Requirements: Tar

Your Grace.... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Your Grace....   Your Grace.... Icon_minitimeThu Apr 24, 2008 9:46 am

Well, I won't be able to read the thread until I get home (corporate firewall) but I'd be willing if players are interested. I've always tied to refrain from really pushing my beliefs on anyone but if it's being requested I won't refuse. Only problem is that I've never even been to a Mass before in RL. But how hard can it be! I'll do a little research and see what I can offer.

And attendance by all guild members is mandatory!!!!

Or you can just leave a bottle of wine by the church doorpost. Either is fine Wink

Bishop Aidan McDermott
Back to top Go down
View user profile
OxBaker
Privateer Captain
Privateer Captain
OxBaker

Character sheet

Your Grace.... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Your Grace....   Your Grace.... Icon_minitimeThu Apr 24, 2008 10:02 am

It looks like I'll have to take some creative merit if I do this. If I follow the traditional format I'll have to type the liturgy out in latin Suspect . I'll see what I can come up with.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Your Grace.... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Your Grace....   Your Grace.... Icon_minitimeThu Apr 24, 2008 10:10 am

we used to sing nobis domini in calontir while marching. if that helps
Back to top Go down

Your Grace.... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Your Grace....   Your Grace.... Icon_minitimeThu Apr 24, 2008 10:53 am

Bishop i do have and old Breviary in Latin ( old by present standards) i could scan pertinent pages and send them to you if you don't have or can't find the infos you need.
Back to top Go down
OxBaker
Privateer Captain
Privateer Captain
OxBaker

Character sheet

Your Grace.... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Your Grace....   Your Grace.... Icon_minitimeThu Apr 24, 2008 12:05 pm

Thanks Rejean but don't worry about it as there's actually a copy of Missale Romanum online at http://www.musicasacra.com/pdf/romanmissal_classical.pdf

I hear that is what they used to use for the liturgy... but all in latin so I don't think I'll use much of it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Your Grace.... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Your Grace....   Your Grace.... Icon_minitimeThu Apr 24, 2008 12:49 pm

OxBaker wrote:
Thanks Rejean but don't worry about it as there's actually a copy of Missale Romanum online at http://www.musicasacra.com/pdf/romanmissal_classical.pdf

I hear that is what they used to use for the liturgy... but all in latin so I don't think I'll use much of it.

That covers the whole year, Bishop, and also covers special ceremonies like weddings and funerals. Only a small part would be used in any particular service.

You could use the Anglican Book of Common prayer, though it has some subtle (to me, anyway) differences from the Roman liturgy.

Bog
Back to top Go down

Your Grace.... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Your Grace....   Your Grace.... Icon_minitimeThu Apr 24, 2008 1:31 pm

While sharing some thoughts with Mam about this "Mass" and expressing that some people might be "hurt" by this, she pointed out to me Nicole's post ( sorry Nicole i hadn't seen your post).
That was sufficient for me to offer you my thoughts.
At first i found the idea interesting but, after more reflexion and considering how much people could be sensitive in matter of religion, even I who considered myself un-religious (( i wouldn't say Atheist because that means having no faith and I do have faith, faith in life, in love, in friendship..) (although I spent many years in a seminary and came close to be a Jesuit)), even I, as i was saying, am uncertain of the "-propos" of it, even in the context of a RP situation in a RP game
Back to top Go down
OxBaker
Privateer Captain
Privateer Captain
OxBaker

Character sheet

Your Grace.... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Your Grace....   Your Grace.... Icon_minitimeThu Apr 24, 2008 2:39 pm

Quote :
At first i found the idea interesting but, after more reflexion and considering how much people could be sensitive in matter of religion, even I who considered myself un-religious (( i wouldn't say Atheist because that means having no faith and I do have faith, faith in life, in love, in friendship..) (although I spent many years in a seminary and came close to be a Jesuit)), even I, as i was saying, am uncertain of the "-propos" of it, even in the context of a RP situation in a RP game.

I guess I understand where you are coming from to a degree. So as not to make people unneccissarily uncomfortable, I tend to downplay the Bishops spiritual role in the game a fair bit. I think the most "excessive" things that I've done probably involves jokes about purgatorial stays and leaving bottles of wine on the church doorstep and thats only because I'm easy going with my own faith. I'd probably even desist with those kinds of jokes if I was told RL Catholics were really being offended by them. However, that kind of horseplay would probably offend Catholics more than actually delivering a spiritual message but so far I've never received any negative feedback about my RPing in that regard.

And so I'd even go so far as to say that if I was tastefull with how I approached an in game Mass I doubt I'd get much push back from RL Catholics because as Nicole said "This smacks of someone using PotBS to expound their religious beliefs on others ie real life" and I'll come right out on the record and say that would be a HUGE reason for me to do an RP Mass if there was enough interest. Fulfilling the Great Commission of taking the Gospel to all nations is a huge part of the Christian faith and I'm not ashamed of the fact. And thats why other Catholics probably wouldn't mind either so long as it was done with taste.

But in the same way as I would probably be free to hold a Mass in game, all other players would be free not to attend if they don't want to hear a person expound thier religious beliefs. But if there were those that did choose to listen and were influenced by what I said, bonus in my books! Because while I wouldn't want to offend anyone in doing so, I've just never been a big proponent of people having to keep thier mouths shut just because the topic is religion. Especially when the message would be delivered behind the closed doors of a Church as opposed to broadcast over Nation chat.

Just my two cents pirat
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Your Grace.... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Your Grace....   Your Grace.... Icon_minitimeThu Apr 24, 2008 2:56 pm

Maitre Rej wrote:
At first i found the idea interesting but, after more reflexion and considering how much people could be sensitive in matter of religion, even I who considered myself un-religious (( i wouldn't say Atheist because that means having no faith and I do have faith, faith in life, in love, in friendship..)

I do not see why you would need to make that destinction. Atheist has a very specific meaning. One can be an Atheist or a Theist. A Theist believes in a god. An Atheist does not. Unless you mean to say that your life, love and friendship are gods stating one is an Atheist has no bearing on those topics. Quite simply it is mixing meanings of the word faith.

Greyed - One who has faith in life, faith in love, faith in friendship but absolutely no faith in religion. Atheist.
Back to top Go down
OxBaker
Privateer Captain
Privateer Captain
OxBaker

Character sheet

Your Grace.... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Your Grace....   Your Grace.... Icon_minitimeThu Apr 24, 2008 3:10 pm

I know I'm nit-picking but to expand a bit, you can be an Atheist, a Theist, A Deist or an Agnostic. A Theist is someone who believes in a personal God(s) who is actively involved in His creation. A Deist believes in an impersonal God; Some non personal force that started and/or maintains the universe but is not directly involved in specific affairs. And an Agnostic is just someone who doesn't claim to know if such a thing as "God" exists.

You can break down the catagories further but those are the main ones.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Your Grace.... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Your Grace....   Your Grace.... Icon_minitimeThu Apr 24, 2008 3:19 pm

No, no, Please Bishop don't change a thing in your ingame role, it is fun and enjoyed by most if not all those that have seen you (I'll put back my ex-seminarist hat here, we, the students, in a Seminary, 40 years ago, have done much much worst than going around Blessings every one and everything and inviting people to leave a bottle of wine on our doorstep and the first to laugh were the Fathers).

Greyed/Kristn, I should probably have used the capital F on the words Faith, but i sense a difference in interpretation that could relate to language and cultural back-ground
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Your Grace.... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Your Grace....   Your Grace.... Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Your Grace....
Page 1 of 1