HomePortalCalendarGalleryFAQSearchRegisterMemberlistUsergroupsLog in

Home Again

Go down 
AuthorMessage

Home Again Empty
PostSubject: Home Again   Home Again Icon_minitimeMon Dec 29, 2008 10:12 pm

How exactly it had happened, he could honestly say he didnít know. Thatís not to say, however, that he didnít have more than a vague idea of what had lead to it, but none of that mattered at the moment. What mattered was that he was in some strange room of what might have once been a respectable hotel (though probably not), no doubt somewhere off of Rue des Moulins, and that his clothes were nowhere in sight. The room did have a cabinet that he supposed had once been intended as a sort of wardrobe, but with only a glance from his place on the floor he knew he wouldnít find them there. Its doors had clearly been prized away some time ago, and it contained only a coating of dust along its bottom. He didnít even consider the bed, or rather, the mattress; it was bare. So too was the floor, save for the sheets that had fallen with him at some point during the night. That left only the small ante-room and the hall beyond it. He was somewhat less than optimistic.

…mile deMontfort slumped back against the wall with a low laugh. The damned whore may have made off with his clothes, and to his marked horror, the wine, but she would get nothing for them. They were worthless. He knew far better than to trust, especially a member of her sex, and so, despite his station, he had dressed as a commoner. And the only money he had been carrying was hers anyway. With another laugh, …mile tried for the first time since he had regained consciousness to raise himself from the floor. He instantly regretted it. With a stifled groan and all amusement lost, he dropped back to the ground. The dull throbbing at his temples had suddenly become a searing blade twisting inside his skull. Perhaps it had been a blessing the she had taken the wineÖ

Slowly, slowly, …mile brought himself to his feet, trying to will away his rather persistent reminder of the previous nightís ďfestivities,Ē but the futility of his attempts quickly became apparent. So, with a resigned sigh and then gritted teeth, he took a tentative step towards the window on the opposite wall. Again a great wave of pain rushed over him and threatened to bring him to his knees, but he assured himself that he had dealt with far worse and took another step, and then another. For a moment or two he proceeded like this, each step bringing him slightly less pain than the last, until he had crossed the great gulf (of only a few feet) between where he had been and where he stood now just in front of the window.

Up until this point …mile has assumed that the glassís near opacity was the result of the proprietorís concern for his patronsí privacy. Perhaps he had spent some of his hard earned profits on frosted pains or, more likely, on a thick layer of paint applied to its exterior. He was surprised, in that instant, to learn that the frosting was in fact a thick coating of grit and cobwebsóa testament to the proprietorís lack of any concern whatsoever. But either way, it stood as an obstacle to his newest and most immediate goal. His first thought was to retrieve the sheet from where he had left it, but he dismissed it almost immediately. He was loath to make another trek across the room so soon after completing his first and, he decided, it would take far more patience than he had at the moment to clear even one small square of its entrustment. His next thought was to simply open the window, but at this too he was hesitant. God only knew how cold it was outside and he was not in any hurry to find outÖ especially with no clothes on. Plus, he noted two nails passing through the frame into the sill. They were rusted and might, with a little effort, pull free, but that notion seemed about as inviting as the first. So for the second time since waking, …mile stood in place as he measured patience against his own personal comfort.

With the violent crack of splintering wood and the whine of straining metal, the window came free, and with another heave was pushed to the top. …mile was forced to wince both against the expected cold and the uninvited brightness of the day. When he was finally able to open his eyes completely without risking a life of blindness, he almost wished he hadnít, for he immediately locked gazes with an all too familiar face.

ďDamn you deMontfort!Ē

(As promised, here is the first chapter of the promised story... or at least a portion of it. I was hit with a bit of writers block around the time …mile felt the dagger in his head which caused me to take longer than I would have liked to get even this far. So I decided to go ahead and post what I had for your perusal. Feel free to make any comments you would like, and I particularly invite critiques. How's my level of detail, am I getting too bogged down?

On another somewhat related note, I'm going to be visiting my mother from Wednesday to Friday for New Years, so I doubt if I'll have access to the game. I will, however, be fairly active here on the forum (so I won't miss the ball
Very Happy ), and with a little luck and a bit more self-discipline, I should have the next installment ready by the time I get back.)
Back to top Go down
Deoiridh
Merchant Captain
Merchant Captain
Deoiridh

Number of posts : 669
Registration date : 2007-05-22

Character sheet
Locations: Belle Isle, New Orleans, Irish Point
Production: Shot, Cannons, Fittings, Powder, Unrest Supplies
Requirements: Saltpeter, Limestone, Doubloons

Home Again Empty
PostSubject: Re: Home Again   Home Again Icon_minitimeTue Dec 30, 2008 11:39 am

[Keep it coming, Emile. I for one don't mind the level of detail, but given my own preference for Tolstoyvian levels of description that perhaps isn't surprising! I like stories that dump you in the middle and you have to figure out what's going on along with the protagonist.]

Back to top Go down
View user profile

Home Again Empty
PostSubject: Re: Home Again   Home Again Icon_minitimeMon Jan 05, 2009 11:59 pm

((I suppose this as a good a place as any to leave this... My laptop died leaving me without the ability to regularly log on... I'll be ordering the parts to a computer I've been planning to build for a while soon, but don't expect to see too much of me until then. Sorry Namo...))
Back to top Go down

Home Again Empty
PostSubject: Re: Home Again   Home Again Icon_minitimeTue Jan 06, 2009 8:58 am

((Sorry to hear about your laptop.))
Back to top Go down
Deoiridh
Merchant Captain
Merchant Captain
Deoiridh

Number of posts : 669
Registration date : 2007-05-22

Character sheet
Locations: Belle Isle, New Orleans, Irish Point
Production: Shot, Cannons, Fittings, Powder, Unrest Supplies
Requirements: Saltpeter, Limestone, Doubloons

Home Again Empty
PostSubject: Re: Home Again   Home Again Icon_minitimeWed Jan 07, 2009 8:39 am

[From personal experience I feel your pain. Building a new rig is always exciting, however.]

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Namo Larkin
Proprietor-General
Proprietor-General
Namo Larkin

Number of posts : 355
Registration date : 2008-01-11

Character sheet
Locations: Cayo, Tampa
Production: LV, Teak, and Ships
Requirements: Hulls or Parts for Hulls

Home Again Empty
PostSubject: Re: Home Again   Home Again Icon_minitimeWed Jan 07, 2009 8:59 am

I hope the rebuild goes well for you. I went through a simular experiance about 4 years ago when I just wanted to add 1 meg of memory.

Just wanted to add that "A Comming of Age" has ben extended until you can make it back. It's not like Namo's background story hasn't been delayed already... I will try to move it along in the mean time since your real envolvement takes place at the end or near the end of the Ball. I am waiting to see what actually happens myself.

Back to top Go down
View user profile

Home Again Empty
PostSubject: Re: Home Again   Home Again Icon_minitimeFri Jan 09, 2009 4:31 pm

((I've hijacked my friend's computer again to give you an update... I should be ordering the parts today or tomorrow, so with any luck I'll be back in a few days.))

((Edit: should have it all on the 20th...))
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Home Again Empty
PostSubject: Re: Home Again   Home Again Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Home Again
Page 1 of 1