HomePortalCalendarGalleryFAQSearchRegisterMemberlistUsergroupsLog in

OOC: the FLS Twitter rumor mill

Go down 
AuthorMessage

OOC: the FLS Twitter rumor mill Empty
PostSubject: OOC: the FLS Twitter rumor mill   OOC: the FLS Twitter rumor mill Icon_minitimeWed Feb 18, 2009 3:12 pm

I follow the FLS crew on Twitter rather than the official forums nowadays so that I don't have to wade through the muck that place is and continues to become... Anyway, interesting little message popped up a few days ago and didn't know if there's been any news about it or what.

Quote :
From FLS_Rusty: Conference call
with Rhaegar on big new social feature for Pirates. We'll be the first
in the industry to do this if everything goes well.

"Social feature", eh? "First in the industry", even. I suppose it'd all be useless speculation to suppose what that might be, but sometimes that could be fun...

Anyone got an ear to the ground better than me that has any ideas, or wants to play the guessing (wishing game)... Razz
Back to top Go down
Namo Larkin
Proprietor-General
Proprietor-General
Namo Larkin

Number of posts : 355
Registration date : 2008-01-11

Character sheet
Locations: Cayo, Tampa
Production: LV, Teak, and Ships
Requirements: Hulls or Parts for Hulls

PostSubject: Re: OOC: the FLS Twitter rumor mill   OOC: the FLS Twitter rumor mill Icon_minitimeThu Feb 19, 2009 7:27 am

Well social lets guess the obvious would be Port Govereness. Some could argue that SWG had that with the player Citys so that wouldn't be a first. Don't think they are going to let us actually hang someone altho a couple of players come to my mind. Maybe add voice to the game as an option.

Now my head hurts..will have to think on it some more.

Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: OOC: the FLS Twitter rumor mill   OOC: the FLS Twitter rumor mill Icon_minitimeThu Feb 19, 2009 7:36 am

Anarchy Online had guild controled cities too along with personal apartments so that can't be it.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: OOC: the FLS Twitter rumor mill   OOC: the FLS Twitter rumor mill Icon_minitimeThu Feb 19, 2009 9:35 am

Yeah, my first thought went to the port governance system too, but as has been said, player-controlled city/bases has been done before, as has personal spaces. If that's what they're up to, the "novel" part will have to be implementation instead of the actual accomplishment. Hopefully it will be something that would be a boon to the more economic and non-combatant among us, which I think would really balance this game out by providing a wider appeal.
Back to top Go down
Deoiridh
Merchant Captain
Merchant Captain
Deoiridh

Number of posts : 669
Registration date : 2007-05-22

Character sheet
Locations: Belle Isle, New Orleans, Irish Point
Production: Shot, Cannons, Fittings, Powder, Unrest Supplies
Requirements: Saltpeter, Limestone, Doubloons

PostSubject: Re: OOC: the FLS Twitter rumor mill   OOC: the FLS Twitter rumor mill Icon_minitimeThu Feb 19, 2009 9:36 am

My first thought was multiple-player crewed ships, but then SWG had that also.

I would guess that it is the player-run towns, and although Cathern's dead on when she says that in and of itself this has been done before, I would guess they have some trick up their sleeve for exactly how it will be implemented. My guess (and this is based on re-reading a couple of the dev logs where they introduced these ideas) is that it will involve full-municipal governance that will be inextricably bound to both the economy and the PvP elements. They have always referred to player-owned towns as the "third leg" of the stool (with the economy and PvP). So if I had to guess I would say they are thinking well beyond the SWG model which was really nothing more than a voting and voluntary tithing mechanism. If you remember, the city administration had virtually no influence on the organization or operation of the city itself. Their vision may include taxation and zoning provisions for example which would shape the economic activity of any particular town. Such towns would also be able to be captured, giving players an incentive to fight for them, but also having a major impact on the war (potentially, depending on what the town was producing). In SWG there wasn't any of this, and all the player cities remained oddly unaffected by the Galactic Civil War raging around them and you could basically set up any kind of business you liked within the town boundaries. So if this is what they are referring to (and one thing we know about FLS is that they are relatively methodical in terms of new features they introduce; there really hasn't been anything else that they have even hinted at) the "industry first" would be this kind of tight integration between governance, economy, and war.

Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: OOC: the FLS Twitter rumor mill   OOC: the FLS Twitter rumor mill Icon_minitimeThu Feb 19, 2009 10:15 am

Deoiridh wrote:
My guess (and this is based on re-reading a couple of the dev logs where they introduced these ideas) is that it will involve full-municipal governance that will be inextricably bound to both the economy and the PvP elements. They have always referred to player-owned towns as the "third leg" of the stool (with the economy and PvP).

Ah, I'd completely forgotten about that "third leg" comment. In that case it probably is what they're talking about. It will be interesting to see how they manage this. If it's done well, it'll give people a new way for individuals to specialize their characters and make a small impact on the global war, in a similar way to red-circle PvP, port battle participation, and economic activities. If it's done poorly, I have a fear that this may end up as yet another mechanism to force people towards large guilds, who will be the only ones with the resources to really do such things - sort of the way they order people around now with port battles and keep their produced goods in their internal economies.

I guess we'll see. Hopefully it will create more atmosphere and RP opportunity at the least.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: OOC: the FLS Twitter rumor mill   OOC: the FLS Twitter rumor mill Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

OOC: the FLS Twitter rumor mill
Page 1 of 1