HomePortalCalendarGalleryFAQSearchRegisterMemberlistUsergroupsLog in

A folded, hastily written letter.

Go down 
AuthorMessage

A folded, hastily written letter. Empty
PostSubject: A folded, hastily written letter.   A folded, hastily written letter. Icon_minitimeThu Mar 26, 2009 4:01 pm

Esteemed captains of the Confederacy,

It is with tremulous hand and great trepidation that I address the…

….bugger it. And blast formality. By no means to I intend to exert vast amounts of energy to impress anyone with tact and etiquette. I tend to be rather blunt in my statements and free with my thoughts. (Both virtue and vice.) I’m not a fighter, nor am I a sailor or privateer. My trade, I assure you, is far less honorable than piracy.

I am a writer.

Among other things, naturally. A man must make a living, and I earn my keep as a printer. A reporter, and a publisher. Nonetheless, the intellect, kindness, and acumen of the Highland Confederation has impressed and
confusticated me in the very best sense of the word.

Think of this letter as less of a plea for recruitment than an introduction. Again, pardon my tactlessness in introducing myself; I tend to speak my mind. If you have need of an orator, a philosopher, an idle scribbler or a senseless dreamer, feel free to visit my apartment in Charlesfort, on the
Avenue De Lys.

The world is changing, and we are on the brink of a new age. Men in my trade thrive off of change. Winds of change are starting to pick up, sweeping the Caribbean. Soon, you too will feel them ruffle your sails. Until then, may the wind be at your back.

Yours sincerely,
Owain Langford
Back to top Go down
Namo Larkin
Proprietor-General
Proprietor-General
Namo Larkin

Number of posts : 355
Registration date : 2008-01-11

Character sheet
Locations: Cayo, Tampa
Production: LV, Teak, and Ships
Requirements: Hulls or Parts for Hulls

PostSubject: Re: A folded, hastily written letter.   A folded, hastily written letter. Icon_minitimeFri Mar 27, 2009 7:08 am

Mr Langford;

First I would like to apologize for the unfortunate incident that occur ed on the docks of Charlesfort the other night with a few of our members. The Laurents are new admissions into our group. I am sure they are more accustomed to a more civilized life back in France and will take some time to grow accustomed to life here in the new world.

That all is irrelevant to this conversation. You say you are not a fighter and I can respect that as I am but a craftsman myself. There does come a time that all of us need to come to arms in defense of our land and homes but I can agree we may not be there yet. I do see the need for someone of your talents however. We can use someone who can rally our forces, inspire us to a direction, and chronicle our efforts in the new world.

I can't speak for all of the Confederacy but I can speak for my family in saying if you have need for protection or travel just let me know and I or one of my sons will come to aid you. There is a place for everyone in this land and you sir have at least earned a spot in the Highland Confederacy if you wish to be. My offer of assistance will remain even if you chose not to join us in our struggle here.

Namo Larkin Officer of the Highland Confederacy
Proprietor of the Larkin Shipyards in Cayo

Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: A folded, hastily written letter.   A folded, hastily written letter. Icon_minitimeFri Mar 27, 2009 1:15 pm

Chantilly laughed out loud when she'd heard about the letter. She was surprised, but not unpleasantly so, that he was even still around; she'd expected a haughty, furious response from some noble's pistol would make short work of him by now. Actually, she was certain he expected the same would happen at some point. But so far, he had survived, which seemed to fall directly at odds with his assertions of being a loudmouthed scholar and nothing more.

Still, his constant ability to attract attention caused a mild anxiety within her. It wasn't as if she and her closer allies didn't attract enough of that from undesirable places, and despite any resolution on her part to keep them all safe, she doubted she could manage it under even normal circumstances. And now, this rabble-rouser appears?

Yet... something about Langford tempered her instinct to swear him off as too much trouble to bother making acquaintance. Something about the way he spoke, perhaps, or the ferocity of his commitment to what was certainly an impossible cause. Or perhaps it was that first night they'd haphazardly met. She'd watched him as he gazed into the hearth in the Charlesfort tavern, and she realized that she could not tell whether it was the fire or his eyes that burned brightest. Curiosity, damnable as she feared it might be, had been the prevailing reaction towards his antics ever since.

Perhaps he'd allow the Confederacy to help him with... well, whatever he really thought he could achieve. Chantilly shrugged. Or perhaps not. Either way, she knew she hadn't seen the last of him.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: A folded, hastily written letter.   A folded, hastily written letter. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

A folded, hastily written letter.
Page 1 of 1