HomePortalCalendarGalleryFAQSearchRegisterMemberlistUsergroupsLog in

Share | 

A Momentary Distraction

Go down 
AuthorMessage

PostSubject: A Momentary Distraction   Fri Apr 10, 2009 2:41 pm

(At long last, here's the start of the story about that fateful night in Orleans...)

Despite all of his surroundings, Émile deMontfort was still quite sober. Yes, despite the fact that he sat at the bar of his favorite tavern on the whole island, surrounded on all sides by drunkards and wretches with a glass in front of him, barely a drop had touched his lips, and at the rate he was going he doubted if he would even drain it by the end of the night. He hadn’t lost his taste for drink, certainly—God forbid that day ever come—and the drink itself was passably palatable, for he had gone to great lengths to ensure the barman kept at least one good bottle in reserve. But despite it all, he simply could not bring himself to partake.

What was the point of it, after all? Even were he to stupefy himself and join in the revelry, the respite from his thoughts and troubles would only be temporary at best. When the morning came he would be no better off than he was now. Indeed, considering the usual side effects, he might even be worse.
Having made up his mind, Émile reached into an inner coat pocket for a few coins and arranged them into a neat column on the bar. After offering a quick nod to the barman, he began to lift himself from his stool, but stopped at the sound of a woman’s voice in his ear.

“You look lonely, handsome.”

For moment, Émile simply stared at her. She wasn’t the most beautiful creature he had ever laid eyes upon, but she had quite a bit more going for her than most of the other whores that wandered the port at this time of night. She even went so far as to wear makeup and a proper dress.

“Interested, sailor boy?”

This time Émile replied, and with a wolfish smile. It seemed he would be partaking in something that night.

From the tavern, she took Émile by the hand and led him at a lighthearted pace down the cobbled street towards what he knew to be the “better” part of town. In all it was not too far removed the part along the water’s edge. There were just as few of the magistrate’s deputies on patrol and just as many drunken sailors aimlessly shambling through the streets and alleys. But it did have an inn… and he knew that’s where they were headed. Why they were, exactly, he wasn’t entirely sure. He had made it a point, as usual, to dress himself down a few social stations, and he hardly looked, or even felt, like a man who would appreciate a good romp between the sheets more were actual sheets involved or not. Really, he doubted he would have complained if she had simply thrown up her skirts in the middle of the tavern.

His thoughts did not dwell long on such things, however, for just as suddenly as she had taken his hand moments ago, she had slipped away from him and taken off at a run.

“Catch me if you can, sailor boy!” she called back with an infectious laugh.

“Hope that I don’t!” came his reply as he started his chase.

As the two ran, their playful taunts and laughter never stopped. Even as she rounded a corner into an alleyway, the eagerness and impatience that almost defined he sex clearly having gotten the better of her, her laughter echoed back outwards loud enough for the entire port hear.

“I have you now, ma chère!” Émile yelled triumphantly as he skidded to a halt in front of the alley’s entrance.

“Not yet you don’t…” As she spoke the straps of her dress fell from her shoulders and her hair came loose from the ribbon that had held it. And Émile stopped and simply took in the sight, not sure what he had been thinking. She was radiant. “Well, sailor boy, can you catch me or not?” At that, he darted in after her with another boisterous laugh and what was almost a predatory leap. He needed no more convincing…

Under normal circumstances he would have never followed anyone in to a blind alley without an unsheathed sword and upholstered gun. Even on the other side of the Atlantic, where society was at least marginally more civil, they were deathtraps. No, normally he would never have so recklessly charged forward. He would have taken his time and carefully searched out anyone that might have been hiding in the shadows. But as it was, the possibility of danger never even crossed his mind. Never, not until he saw the glimmer of a blade striking out at him through the darkness.

(As usual, comments and critiques are more than welcome... especially for this one. I'm thinking of posting it on the FLS boards.)
Back to top Go down
Deoiridh
Merchant Captain
Merchant Captain

Number of posts : 669
Registration date : 2007-05-22

Character sheet
Locations: Belle Isle, New Orleans, Irish Point
Production: Shot, Cannons, Fittings, Powder, Unrest Supplies
Requirements: Saltpeter, Limestone, Doubloons

PostSubject: Re: A Momentary Distraction   Sat Apr 11, 2009 7:08 pm

[I'm glad you are finally getting to this; inquiring minds have been wondering for some time! It's also really strange to see this impulsive side of Emile; I never think of him having that kind of disposition.]

Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: A Momentary Distraction   Mon Apr 13, 2009 3:29 pm

I'm liking it Emile and i agree that it's an interesting and refreshing change to see Emile in this state.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: A Momentary Distraction   

Back to top Go down

A Momentary Distraction
Page 1 of 1