The Black Marquis

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2011-06-01

Character sheet
Locations:
Production:
Requirements:

PostSubject: Application: Lauchlan MacKynnon   Wed Jun 01, 2011 5:38 pm

A messenger from the Packet Ship Lothian arrives to deliver a letter addressed to the "Most esteemed Officers of the Highland Confederacy." A large red wax seal with the impression of a boar's head surmounted upon a fleur-de-lys ensures that the vellum letter's contents remain safe from prying eyes.

Martinmas, 1719

Honoured Sirs and Madams,

It is with great pleasure and humility that I address my fellow servants of his true Britannic Majesty King James. I must apologize for not addressing your esteemed excellencies in person, and do hope to meet with you at your earliest convenience. At present I am en route from Louisbourg, having with great difficulty and risk evaded the patrols of the enemy whilst escaping the aftermath of that most desperate affair at Ghleann Sheile. I pray that our vessel will safely arrive in les Indes Occidentales in time to take part in the festivities of Hogmanay.

By way of introduction I am Lauchlan MacKynnon, vir nobilis, cousin and close relation to Ian Dubh, Chief of the clan. I carry with me a Lettre de Marque from the late King Louis XIV of France, and fully intend to resume my commission upon my return to the Caribbean. My intent is to harry and pursue with fire and sword the followers, allies, and associates of the Hanoverian Pretender, and will not suffer to rest until the the restoration of the true King.

Your success at arms and noble enterprise has encouraged me to apply for membership in your ranks. I yearn to serve with my Jacobite brethren and sistren, and would be most indebted if you would permit me to join your cause. I do not come empty handed beseeching charity, for I bring with me one of the finest crews to ever come from the Western Isles, and I sail on board the frigate The Black Marquis. Like the hempen strands of a rope, the greater we are in number, the stronger we will become. If you will deign to meet with me upon my arrival I believe that we will have much of mutual interest to discuss.

Your most devoted and humble servant,

Lauchlan MacKynnon

Character Description:

Lauchlan is a man who lives in the past, preferring the ideals of an earlier age to the current corrupt decadence that stains his homeland. He is a staunch Jacobite, having fought together with his clan under Bonnie Dundee during his early adolescence, and becoming more embroiled with the cause with every year that passes from that first engagement. Though he wanders throughout the Carribean and North Atlantic, his heart remains in the Hebrides, and hopes to return once his wanderlust has been sated.

While he can be diplomatic when dealing with his Genteel compatriots from the continent, his Gaelic upbringing often puts him culturally at odds with his peers. Although Gaelic society was more egalitarian than mainland europe, it was nonetheless highly stratified, with a great deal of emphasis placed upon lineage, honour, and kinship, and his demeanour will often reflect that reality.

Player Description:

I'm currently a teacher and historian, so I suppose it's probably fairly obvious why this game appeals to me Wink I followed this game for quite some time during its development, but LOTRO came out first, and it is only recently that I've come back to try it out, and am really enjoying the experience.

I've played LOTRO, EVE, WAR, SWG and a few others, so I'm familiar with the MMO environment, and always try to find an RP society that fits with my character.

Profession: Privateer. Currently I have a Large Shipyard and other supporting industries based out of Cayo de Marquis, though methinks the structures will remain a side focus rather than a primary endeavour.

What is RP to you?:

Always a difficult question to answer, in part because my beliefs on the matter are in a state of flux. I enjoy RP because of the immersion factor, and I find that an RP environment helps me enjoy games to a much greater degree. With that in mind I know that it's not just for my immersion but for those around me as well, so I'll usually adapt my RP level to those that I happen to be grouping with. The main thing is that I do it because it's fun, and though I've RPd other settings, the early 1700s is a first for me, so I'm interested to see how it turns out.

Why would you like to join the Highland Confederacy?

My character's Scottish, and based on the society description it seems to be the right fit for my character. Personally I'm looking for a society that likes to RP and have fun, and based on what I've read the Highland Confederacy fits the bill.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Namo Larkin
Proprietor-General
Proprietor-General

Number of posts : 355
Registration date : 2008-01-11

Character sheet
Locations: Cayo, Tampa
Production: LV, Teak, and Ships
Requirements: Hulls or Parts for Hulls

PostSubject: Re: Application: Lauchlan MacKynnon   Thu Jun 02, 2011 1:33 pm

I didn't hear the knock but was awoken by a messanger with a sealed letter in his hand.
As I raised my head from the table I managed to hit the bottle of rum I had been drinking the night before sending to the floor. The messanger droped the letter in front of me and headed to pick up the bottle.
"No need to do that, I assure you it is empty." as I proceded to open and read the letter.

The messanger placed the bottle upon the table and took the few db I had placed there. As he left he almost ran into Danto Larkin my oldest who had just opened the door.

"Well I see your wake at least, I am here to bring word of activity near Port St. Joe." He said.

"Was that news from home?" he asked.

"Well sort of in that it is News from France but not anything you would be interested in hearing about." I told him.

"Another Privateer is on his way here to aid in the cause. And while the Letter may have originated in France it would seem to be written by or on the behalf of a Scottish Captian. But what of Port St. Joe you say there is activity?" I ask.

"Well not that much Sir, there were a group of British Ships in the area we managed to send them packing. Well us and the few Pirates that showed up. They were a bit harder to convince the Port was of little intest to them."

"Ah well I should try to make myself more presentable for our visitor. The letter wasn't specific as to when he will be ariving but he seems to have an interest in shipbuilding so I will inqure around the docks. Maybe someone has already seen him around."

As I headed toward my ship to carry supplies to my shipyard now that the Pirate activity had been brought under control near Cayo I thought to myself if only Deoiridh, Edwin or The Bishop were still around they were far better at this than I am.

OOC

First welcome to the Confederacy. Currently I seem to be the last remaining player around our group but every once in a while one of the others shows up. I would love to meet with you but was uncertain as to the times you play the game.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
The Black Marquis

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2011-06-01

Character sheet
Locations:
Production:
Requirements:

PostSubject: Re: Application: Lauchlan MacKynnon   Sat Jun 04, 2011 9:07 pm

OOC: Thanks for the warm welcome. To be honest I wasn't sure whether to apply or not, considering the dates of some of the most recent posts on this board, but I'm glad that there is some life remaining! Perhaps with the FTP transition some of the old guard will return, and there's always the possibilities of more new folks like me who are just experiencing the game for the first time.

I'm usually on in the evenings EST more or less. Usually I'm flitting about somewhere between Pointe--Pitre and Cayo, generally depends on where the winds decide to take me.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Application: Lauchlan MacKynnon   

Back to top Go down

Application: Lauchlan MacKynnon
Page 1 of 1