Number of posts : 410
Registration date : 2007-09-10

Character sheet
Locations: Grenville
Production: Hemp, Rope, Canvas, Cotton, Sails, Textile Unrest Bundles
Requirements: Tar

PostSubject: Bishop Aidan McDermott (Accepted)   Mon Sep 10, 2007 12:21 pm

To the Officers and Charges of the most noble Highland Confederacy,

I must begin by relaying greetings and blessings from The Most Reverend Antonio Claudio Alvarez de Quinones, Archbishop of Santafe en Nueva Granada. His Grace has sanctioned me to speak on his behalf with you regarding matters of mutual concern.

I am Bishop Aidan McDermott, Special Envoy from the Archdiocese in Santo Domingo. His Grace the Archbishop has become gravely concerned with the increasing spread throughout the region of the Godless apostasy known as the Church of England. Their Missions are appearing like festering boils in ports throughout the islands. The Archbishop has charged me with curbing the spread of this false churches influence in the region and has granted me authorities sanctioned directly from Rome herself to use whatever means necessary to see this accomplished.

At this point I will be direct with you. I am a godly man and have no personal taste for actions that will bring direct harm to those misguided souls who toil in service to the Church of England. Their Missions, albeit in err of intentions, house the poor and infirmed and as such, I will not strike at them directly. But as a hand of the true faith, I cannot see their heretical influence increase and so I will primarily focus on their support structure. All ships that carry goods or emissaries to English Missions will be boarded, seized and confiscated in the name of the True Catholic Church.

His Grace the Archbishop feels that it would be best if these efforts were not directly linked back to the Archdiocese in order to avoid any direct retribution from the British and thus he has persuaded me to work through an organization who shares the same ends when it comes to the British but who are not directly linked to the Archdiocese. The Highland Confederacy’s repeated successes against British powers throughout these seas are well know and I strongly believe that partnering with you in this endeavor would prove to be mutually beneficial to us both. Therefore, the Archbishop beseeches you on behalf of the True and Holy Roman Church to assist me in purging the lands of this heretical disease.

The Lords richest blessings upon you and we eagerly await your reply.

Bishop Aidan McDermott
A Humble Servant of Christ

Character Description:

Bishop Aidan McDermott is a pious believer and zealous defender of the Catholic Church. But his zeal is tempered by a basic sense of morality wherein he wants to limit the number of innocent people he harms while working towards his goals. Thus he prefers to board ships rather than sink them when possible. Aidan specializes in ,and prefers the use of, espionage and subversive tactics over direct brutal confrontations. He also enjoys a personal friendship with the Archbishop and as such was able to arrange for a crew who were specifically trained in boarding and capture to be sent from Italy to assist him with his goals. Aidan is fit and in his late 50’s. A better character description will be put together after I have had a chance to play with the games Character Creation system. Aidan sails a few vessels that have been provide by the Archdiocese. His primary ship is simply referred to as “The OxBaker”.

Thanks for considering my application and I believe my character would add a unique flavor to your guild.

Best Regards,

OxBaker

The ox is slow but the earth is patient…
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Bishop Aidan McDermott (Accepted)   Mon Sep 10, 2007 7:25 pm

An seine bisch flichen Gnaden den hochwürdigsten Herrn Aidan McDermott,
((To His Episcopal Grace the most worthy Lord Aidan McDermott))

It was with great pleasure that I received your missive. Truly, in such dark times, having a man of the cloth (and a direct servant of a prince of the church no less!) at our sides is truly welcome. It is my deepest hope that you may find a place for yourself among our community of, shall we say, ruggedly individualistic men. I will admit that I am not, myself, beholden to His Holiness, but I have nothing but the deepest of respect for his servants. That having been said, I know that many among our number are good men of the church and will no doubt welcome your wise council.

As for myself, any enemy of the Church of England is an enemy of the Hanover line, and any enemy of the Hanover line is a friend of mine. I truly look forward to meeting you, and I do hope that you indulge in spirits, for I would love to share a glass when we do.

Eurer bisch flichen Gnaden unterth nigster Diener
((Your Episcopal Grace's most humble servant))
Wilhelm von Somborn

OOC: Ok, I admit I googled the German. So sue me. Anyway, nice to have you with us. I will add you to the recruits list. On a side note, I found while looking for info about Santafe en Nueva Granada that the Archbishop at the time was actually Archbishop Francisco del Rincón. I don't know whether you actually want to incorporate that in or not. I suppose some may consider it disrespectful, although I sincerely doubt anyone would know one way or the other.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Bishop Aidan McDermott (Accepted)   Mon Sep 10, 2007 9:53 pm

Bravo, bravo!

I enjoyed the story; wonderful concept.
Back to top Go down
OxBaker
Privateer Captain
Privateer Captain

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Bishop Aidan McDermott (Accepted)   Mon Sep 10, 2007 9:54 pm

To our newfound friend and ally Wilhelm von Somborn,

I am confident His Grace will be most overjoyed to hear of your positive response to our plea and I would be pleased to offer any spiritual guidance that you or your brethren may seek during my time with you. We face a formitable adversary in the British but I find tremendous assurance in knowing that the true faith upholds our cause.

I hope it is not presumptuous of me to do so but would like to send some of my faithful servants ahead to prepare my lodging at your estates. It is my desire to follow shortly. I must first take care of some administrative arrangements surrounding our newfound alliance. We may then speak further in person regarding the details of our efforts with the peace of knowing that our dialog cannot be intercepted.

Once again you have the most hearfelt appreciation of his Grace the Archbishop Francisco del Rincón and I, his humble servant. I look froward to meeting you and would most gladly share a glass for I know that there is naught which compares to a true Highland ale.

Your friend in Christ,
Aidan McDermott

OOC: Good catch on the proper Archbishop from that timeperiod. I went by the following resource http://www.catholic-hierarchy.org/diocese/dsndo.html but I must have read the dates wrong. And nice touch with the German. I'm glad you included the translation or I would have been lost Wink So thanks for accepting me as a recruit. I'll be sure to post on the guild forums now and then and look forward to playing with you all!
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Bishop Aidan McDermott (Accepted)   Mon Sep 10, 2007 10:18 pm

Benoit_Bontecou wrote:
Bravo, bravo!

I'll certainly second that! Very Happy
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Bishop Aidan McDermott (Accepted)   Tue Sep 11, 2007 5:20 am

OxBaker wrote:
OOC: Good catch on the proper Archbishop from that timeperiod. I went by the following resource http://www.catholic-hierarchy.org/diocese/dsndo.html but I must have read the dates wrong. And nice touch with the German. I'm glad you included the translation or I would have been lost Wink So thanks for accepting me as a recruit. I'll be sure to post on the guild forums now and then and look forward to playing with you all!

Actually, I used the same page, but I used the page on Bogota, which was formerly Santafé en Nueva Granada, http://www.catholic-hierarchy.org/diocese/dbogo.html. Don't give me too much credit; all of that was just creative gooogling. I apparently wasn't paying too much attention since I didn't even notice that you had a real Archbishop listed. It looks like the one you used was Archbishop of Santo Domingo at the time and was appointed to Santafé en Nueva Granada in 1725.

As for posting, a quick hint: The more active you are, the quicker you can be a full member. Wink
Back to top Go down
OxBaker
Privateer Captain
Privateer Captain

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Bishop Aidan McDermott (Accepted)   Tue Sep 11, 2007 9:55 am

Quote :

Benoit_Bontecou wrote:

Bravo, bravo!

I'll certainly second that! Very Happy

Well thank ya kindly for your votes of confidence Wink I'm not Catholic myself so it took a bit of reviewing of the church hierarchy to develop the character but since the church was a such a key player at that time, I thought it would be interesting to play it from that angle since I haven't seen anyone else on the other forums doing so.

Quote :
As for posting, a quick hint: The more active you are, the quicker you can be a full member.
I'll keep that in mind. Since my office firewall doesn't prevent me from getting to this site I should be able to post regularily. The only time in the near future you won't hear from me is next week. I'm heading to sunny Las Vegas to blow some cash! sunny
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Bishop Aidan McDermott (Accepted)   Tue Sep 11, 2007 9:00 pm

Welcome aboard Father, i have many drunken nights to confess to, i cant wait to see you in the carribiean. Death to England!

-Capt Kiel O'Cahan
"Northern Hope"
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Bishop Aidan McDermott (Accepted)   Wed Sep 12, 2007 12:58 pm

"A zeolous catholic... So that it wont come as a suprise to you, I am a protestant. As it seems we are both serving the Highland Confederacy, so I quess just have to cooperate somehow."

Dont mind my char Razz hes from Scandinavia and thus lutherian=protestant
All this might add a nice twist on the Rp Smile Anyways, welcome to the Hc cheers
Back to top Go down
OxBaker
Privateer Captain
Privateer Captain

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Bishop Aidan McDermott (Accepted)   Wed Sep 12, 2007 2:15 pm

Quote :
"A zeolous catholic... So that it wont come as a suprise to you, I am a protestant. As it seems we are both serving the Highland Confederacy, so I quess just have to cooperate somehow."
Well met good Captain. Indeed, I am quite aware of the increasing popularity of Luther's misguided ideas among the European nations. For the sake of the fledgling alliance that the True Church has made with your Confederacy, I will curb my tongue in regards to my thoughts concerning Luther and Zwingli's suspect doctrines.

However, I will not attempt to deny that there are others of my Order in similar positions to my own that are currently dealing with the Protestant "influence" in the region in a much similar fashion to how I plan to deal with the Church of England. Having said that, as a gesture of good will I can offer to you the peace of mind in knowing that while the alliance between the Archdiocese and Confederation exists, I will do all within my power to ensure that any missions, regardless of background, that are in good standing with the Highland Confederation, do not experience the strong arm of the true Catholic Church.

OOC: I don't mind at all. I'm Protestant IRL and agree that a little role-playing tension through situations like this does make it interesting. Thanks for the welcome from both you and Kiel.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Bishop Aidan McDermott (Accepted)   Thu Dec 27, 2007 2:37 pm

Bless me father for we will march to battle soon...
Back to top Go down
OxBaker
Privateer Captain
Privateer Captain

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Bishop Aidan McDermott (Accepted)   Thu Dec 27, 2007 4:45 pm

Owl wrote:
Bless me father for we will march to battle soon...
May Saint Brendan himself guide your steps as we face the oppressors of the True Church. Your deeds and valor will most assuredly be recorded in Our Lamb's Book.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Bishop Aidan McDermott (Accepted)   Thu Dec 27, 2007 4:52 pm

Falls to his knees and bows his head:

Father if only i am worthy i must insist for i am not without sin! Yet i stand before ye and seek solace from what ails me, guidance even for i have lost the path but want, no seek to reclaim it as my own once more!

I am truly honored that you have asked the most holy Saint Brendan to offer me guidance as well as comfort!

As it so happens me boy's second name be Brendan in real life...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Bishop Aidan McDermott (Accepted)   

Back to top Go down

Bishop Aidan McDermott (Accepted)
Page 1 of 1