Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Captain Uilliam Loman formerly of Dublin

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage

Captain Uilliam Loman formerly of Dublin Empty
PostSubject: Captain Uilliam Loman formerly of Dublin   Captain Uilliam Loman formerly of Dublin Icon_minitimeWed Sep 19, 2007 12:33 pm

My name is Uilliam Loman, Captain now but not always so.

I was born in Dublin to a fairly prosperous family of merchants. My mother died in childbirth so it was just my dad and I. My father owned a small shipping company with two small merchant ships so from the time I could walk, I was on the deck of a ship. I loved those ships but my father hated the sea. He always taught me that being on a ship was for the lesser people and a proper businessman just used his assets accordingly. A proper businessman kept his feet on dry land where he ran the business without having to worry about such things as pirates and weather and the sea. I am not sure I agreed but that was my father and I was never allowed to sail.

On my 17th birthday while out celebrating with my friends I got my chance to be on the deck of a ship, unfortunately it wasn’t the way I anticipated. The last thing I remembered was a sharp pain and the back of my head and then waking up to rough wooden planks. As soon as I woke, I was immediately put to work scrubbing this or hauling that on what I quickly found out to be the British Slope-of-War, Eagle. I also found out that our mission was around Cape Horn, on the other side of the world from home.

We spent five years there, five long year. It was a rough life and I hated the British officers who I came to feel as my kidnapers but I was smart and realized that my life would be easier if I cooperated and quite honestly, as I have mentioned, I have always loved the sea. I would probably have jumped ship if I could but where was I to go half way around the world, so I took every opportunity presented and learned everything I could about sailing and running a warship and this led to what I feel is probably the greatest irony of my life. I was promoted to Midshipman. Me, with my hatred of these British dogs, an officer on their ship. You can’t get more ironic than that.

Well as I said we spent 5 years there before returning to England. Naturally as soon as I could leave the ship I deserted and fled back home to Ireland and my father. This turned out to be the worst part of my life. My father didn’t take my disappearance well. After the loss of my mother apparently I was the only thing he felt he had left. My disappearance had left him with the belief I was dead, he had turned to drink, lost the business and died penniless in an alley. These British dogs had not only taken me, but had taken everything I had ever loved.

It didn’t stop there though. My Captain, the captain of the Eagle apparently took a personal affront to my desertion. Apparently he felt like he had taken me under his wing like a son and I had betrayed him. On thinking about it, I suppose I had. This Captain took vendetta though and placed a reward on my head. Soon enough, I couldn’t even walk the streets of Dublin without fear of the hangman’s noose. I scratched a living for a while at the docks but it wasn’t much of a living. Mostly I was hungry, homeless, penniless and a fugitive from the law. I didn’t really have much going for me to say the least. The funny thing is that about the time when it was the worst for me, this Frenchman approached me. He said he knew of my hatred toward the English and had a proposition for me. Having nothing to really lose at this point, I decide to hear him out.

He expressed to me that he had a problem. Apparently the British had boarded a French ship headed for Dublin and had then taken it as prize, citing that the ship had been smuggling guns and powder to Irish rebels in the countryside. The French obviously denied this claim and the right of the British to claim this ship as prize so they wanted the ship back. Short of open war however they couldn’t really do anything about it and that is where I was to come in. He said he happened to know that the ship in question would be arriving in Dublin in the next few days with only about a dozen prize crewmen on board. He said he had a crew of other Irishmen like myself who hated the British but they needed a Captain. Well of course since I had been an officer on an English warship, why I could easily be a Captain.

Well I scoffed at the idea. Being a wanted man by some small time British ship captain was one thing but being an open pirate hunted by all of England was another. Of course he had an answer to this a well. Out of his pocket he pulled three rolled documents and handed them to me. The first was a letter giving me French citizenship, the second was a Letter of Marquis, giving me the right to seize all ships and properties of enemies of the crown of France in the area of the Caribbean and the third was the deed to the ship we were supposed to take back from the English. Seeing he had my attention, he further outlined the plan at this point. We would overcome the small prize crew then sail the ship and cargo to the Caribbean where I would present my citizenship papers, letter of Marquis and deed to the French Governor. There the French Governor would present me with a purse sufficient to overhaul and re-provision my new ship. The rest would be up to me. I would have complete freedom, my own ship and French citizenship. A completely new start and legal right to pay back the British for what that had done to my life. It didn’t take me long to agree.

So here I am now aboard my new ship, aptly named the Retribution, only a few days out from the Floridas. I am hoping I might see the HMS Eagle one day. I have a Captain I must return the favor of my training too. Return it in the form of a cannonball that is.

OOC

I am and have always been a big fan of Age of Sail games and greatly looking forward to PotBS.

The reason I have chosen to apply for membership with your organization is for several reason.

First I am truely of Irish decent but didn't really want to play for the English. This led me to look for an association that was roleplaying Irish fighting against the English oppression.

Secondly, roleplaying is typically much me fun that running around shouting Pwn you Noobs. Roleplay just allows the game to be more immersive.

Third, Roleplayers in general just look at the game in a lighter more fun fashion. There goal typicially isn't to be the biggest guild but rather to go out and just enjoy the game.

Your organization sounds like it meets all three of those things I desire.

Roleplaying to me is kind of light to be honest. I really don't stay in character 100% of the time but I never completely lose track of the fact I am suppose to be a Captain of a ship in the 1700s so no really long discussions about spaceships and Wizards. That being said, falling into character at times can be the best of fun and I do very much enjoy those times when it comes up.

As far as for myself, I have tons of MMO experience and have been an officer in several guilds, one of which was setting around 60 or so members at one time. I have partisipate in guilds family sized to over a 100 members and know how to work as a team. I usually perfer a small group of friends to large group of people I don't know and while wanting advance in a game, don't want to do it at the expense of having to take it so seriously I can't have a life or take a few minute to just enjoy the game for what it is.

My PotBS name is ntwolf13 and I am sure many of you have seen some of my post. I like to provoke thought and discussion there so some of my posts, opinion and speculations might get a little debate now and again.

Anyway, I look forward to hearing back from you all.

N.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Captain Uilliam Loman formerly of Dublin   Captain Uilliam Loman formerly of Dublin Icon_minitimeWed Sep 19, 2007 2:08 pm

Captain,

We of the Confederacy have received your letter. I believe that you are just the sort of man we are looking for to put our mutual enemies to the bottom of the sea. I will send you a letter with our current location shortly, but for now, welcome.

OOC:
Hey, I know you! You're that loudmouth guy in the SoL discussion! Ok, ok, just kidding.

Anyway, welcome to the group. I've added you as a recruit, so feel free to look around the boards, post ideas stories, or whatever. Good way to kill the time while we wait for a new announcement from Rusty and crew. And finally, since it is the 19th, YAR!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Captain Uilliam Loman formerly of Dublin   Captain Uilliam Loman formerly of Dublin Icon_minitimeWed Sep 19, 2007 3:44 pm

Yep, thats me. pirat

I have to admit, I love a good debate....as long as it is constructive. Personally I doubt the picture I paint regarding SoLs in PotBS is going to be as bad as all that but it is a good thread with lots of different opinions and ideas and it definatly got me thinking about things in new way.

Can't wait to get out on the open seas.....Yo Ho Ho and a bottle of Rum!!

N.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Captain Uilliam Loman formerly of Dublin   Captain Uilliam Loman formerly of Dublin Icon_minitimeThu Sep 20, 2007 12:32 am

Impressive Smile

Indeed!!

(OOC) Yarrrrrrrrrrrrr

Irish Spring fresh he is Razz

Nice to meet ya

I am Jasper, The local smart *, nice to meet a man of the sea such as yourself Smile

Welcome to the Boards Smile
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Captain Uilliam Loman formerly of Dublin   Captain Uilliam Loman formerly of Dublin Icon_minitimeThu Sep 20, 2007 9:05 am

Well met; I too enjoy a good debate. Just remember: in the end all is forgiven.

Upon your arrival to St. Martinique perhaps we can sit down and have a few drinks.

Last edited by on Thu Sep 20, 2007 10:07 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Captain Uilliam Loman formerly of Dublin   Captain Uilliam Loman formerly of Dublin Icon_minitimeThu Sep 20, 2007 9:40 am

Indeed (In a voice imitating Tealc Razz)

I am one of the older members around here, well not that old like dermid and Wilhelm but sorta old.

Anyways, welcome to the boards!
Back to top Go down
Deoiridh
Merchant Captain
Merchant Captain
Deoiridh

Number of posts : 669
Registration date : 2007-05-22

Character sheet
Locations: Belle Isle, New Orleans, Irish Point
Production: Shot, Cannons, Fittings, Powder, Unrest Supplies
Requirements: Saltpeter, Limestone, Doubloons

PostSubject: Re: Captain Uilliam Loman formerly of Dublin   Captain Uilliam Loman formerly of Dublin Icon_minitimeFri Sep 21, 2007 9:23 am

Oh this is too funny. I hardly every write anything in the POTBS forums, then I respond to one and reference a post by Ntwolf, then I come back here and find you've applied for membership! Ah, the forces of destiny.

Welcome aboard, I think you'll enjoy it here.
Back to top Go down
OxBaker
Privateer Captain
Privateer Captain
OxBaker

Number of posts : 410
Registration date : 2007-09-10

Character sheet
Locations: Grenville
Production: Hemp, Rope, Canvas, Cotton, Sails, Textile Unrest Bundles
Requirements: Tar

PostSubject: Re: Captain Uilliam Loman formerly of Dublin   Captain Uilliam Loman formerly of Dublin Icon_minitimeMon Sep 24, 2007 10:33 am

Truely a woeful tale, yet so typical of the godless manner in which the English conduct themselves. May Saint Bendan the Navigator guide your sails to the adversary you seek.

OOC:
Welcome aboard. I like the thought you've put into your story.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Captain Uilliam Loman formerly of Dublin   Captain Uilliam Loman formerly of Dublin Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Captain Uilliam Loman formerly of Dublin
Page 1 of 1