Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

James Lamont

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage

James Lamont Empty
PostSubject: James Lamont   James Lamont Icon_minitimeWed Oct 03, 2007 5:36 am

Gentlemen Officers of
the Confederacy,

Please accept this short missive by way of introduction to my credentials and hopefully successful acceptance. I heard of the formation of your Confederacy and felt compelled to seek you.

I was born in the county of Angus, son of fisherman Alan Lamont. He fought with Bonnie Dundee at Killiecrankie and lost his life at Sheriffmuir 26 years later still fighting for the Jacobite cause. He would not let me join him as insurance in order that I be able to continue to provide for my mother and younger siblings if the worst should occur. He instilled his values in me and hopefully I may have one fraction of his courage.

I left my home some four years ago now to seek honour and adventure. I made my way through working service aboard 2 ships the first a simple passage to Virginia and then on a French buccaneer sailing throughout the Caribbean. I gained much experience from my captain and shipmates. We plundered the trade of the groaning British shipping and raided the taxation of fat King George. My father always said that Scottish blood would gladly be spilled for noble justice but the English will only be defeated when the veins of their trade are severed. I mean to continue to slash at those veins till my own run dry.

I arrive to you with my share of booty and a ship of my own. I humbly submit myself for your consideration.

Yours faithfully,
James Graham Lamont
-------

Hi folks. I'm Jim a 30 something gamer from Edinburgh, Scotland. I've played all types of games over the years, enjoying those most which involve teamwork and have a good clan/guild ethos. As far as MMOs are concerned most recently I played WoW with which, like so many, I became wholly disillusioned. Other MMO games I've played include Eve and Guildwars. PotBS has been on my radar for some time and it's (hopefully!) imminent release sent me back to the FlyingLabs forums (name: Stramash) where I noticed your Guild. How could I not apply with the back story you've presented?!

FL have made sure that RP is well catered for in this game and as I feel joining a guild with a good RP element can greatly enhance the enjoyment I hope I'll be able to get from it. I'm hoping the RP can be immersive without drowning out the fun!

As far as character choice is concerned I would very much like to be considered as part of your naval detatchment as a first choice, however, if this isn't possible I'm willing to be flexible!

Slainte.

[edit: damn those linebreaks from Word!]
Back to top Go down

James Lamont Empty
PostSubject: Re: James Lamont   James Lamont Icon_minitimeWed Oct 03, 2007 6:26 am

Well hello there Stramash. Glad to see your intrested in the HC. Feel free to browse around and hope to see you around too. Welcome!
Back to top Go down

James Lamont Empty
PostSubject: Re: James Lamont   James Lamont Icon_minitimeWed Oct 03, 2007 5:40 pm

Olaf Susiluoto wrote:
Well hello there Stramash. Glad to see your intrested in the HC. Feel free to browse around and hope to see you around too. Welcome!

Ditto Smile
Back to top Go down

James Lamont Empty
PostSubject: Re: James Lamont   James Lamont Icon_minitimeThu Oct 04, 2007 5:30 am

Mr. Lamont,

I believe we have much in the way of common interests. The Confederacy would be glad of your assistance. Please come to our base of operations at the Albatross at your earliest convenience so that we may discuss specifics.

Wilhelm von Somborn
Proprietor-General

OOC:
Welcome aboard. I'll add you as a recruit immediately. You sound like just the kind of guy we want aboard. As for being in the "Naval Attachment" I'm not really sure how you figure on that. First off, its not an actual separate branch, so much as it is an RP excuse for our few French naval officers. Now you are more than welcome in our privateer branch, but I just don't see how any non-French character (RP-wise) would be a naval officer. Now if you want to take the naval officer class and RP it as a privateer, I have no problem with that, although I'm not sure how that fits your story.
Back to top Go down

James Lamont Empty
PostSubject: Re: James Lamont   James Lamont Icon_minitimeFri Oct 05, 2007 6:52 pm

Oh man, I hate those line-breaks with a PASSION!

It was good to see you research and think out your story; please feel welcomed to our little corner of the universe.

See you in the Albatross.
Back to top Go down

James Lamont Empty
PostSubject: Re: James Lamont   James Lamont Icon_minitimeTue Oct 09, 2007 1:07 pm

Captain Proprietor-General,

Although I endeavour to avoid intoxication when discussing business, it would be rude not to partake of some light refreshment. Therefore I shall take up your kind invitation and hope to make the acquaintance of you and your confederates in The Albatross. It is heartening that you believe we have "common interests" and I very much look forward to discussing them.

Yours faithfully

James Graham Lamont

OOC
Wilhelm von Somborn wrote:

OOC:
Welcome aboard. I'll add you as a recruit immediately. You sound like just the kind of guy we want aboard. As for being in the "Naval Attachment" I'm not really sure how you figure on that. First off, its not an actual separate branch, so much as it is an RP excuse for our few French naval officers. Now you are more than welcome in our privateer branch, but I just don't see how any non-French character (RP-wise) would be a naval officer. Now if you want to take the naval officer class and RP it as a privateer, I have no problem with that, although I'm not sure how that fits your story.
Understood. I suppose I was tentatively suggesting my back story may be tweaked to include a secondment into La Royale but I'm sure I can more than fulfil my bloodlust as a privateer!
Back to top Go down

James Lamont Empty
PostSubject: Re: James Lamont   James Lamont Icon_minitimeTue Oct 09, 2007 3:47 pm

Lamont as in Clan Lamont or its old Gaelic Root name Mac Laomain.

This Clan is an offshoot of some of the original Irish conquerors/settlers to sail from Ireland to Scottland and are direct decendants of the 13th King of Ireland. The Irish decendants of this family line go under the surname Loman and are from around the Dublin area. If I recall correctly the clan holding in Scottland were around the area of Loch Lomond (various spellings including Loch Loman and old Gaelic Loch Laomainn) and Ben Lomond (Loman) is on the eastern shore. It is 3,195 ft (974 metres) in height and is the most southerly of the Scottish Munro peaks.

My ingame character name is Uilliam Loman so we are distant cousins in game at the very lest and if you have any real affiliation with Clan Lamont in real life, we may be distant cousins there are well although I am from the Irish side.

Oh and welcome to the recruites. Everyone here is great.

N.
Back to top Go down

James Lamont Empty
PostSubject: Re: James Lamont   James Lamont Icon_minitimeWed Oct 10, 2007 1:29 am

ntwolf13 wrote:
Lamont as in Clan Lamont or its old Gaelic Root name Mac Laomain.

This Clan is an offshoot of some of the original Irish conquerors/settlers to sail from Ireland to Scottland and are direct decendants of the 13th King of Ireland. The Irish decendants of this family line go under the surname Loman and are from around the Dublin area. If I recall correctly the clan holding in Scottland were around the area of Loch Lomond (various spellings including Loch Loman and old Gaelic Loch Laomainn) and Ben Lomond (Loman) is on the eastern shore. It is 3,195 ft (974 metres) in height and is the most southerly of the Scottish Munro peaks.

My ingame character name is Uilliam Loman so we are distant cousins in game at the very lest and if you have any real affiliation with Clan Lamont in real life, we may be distant cousins there are well although I am from the Irish side.

Oh and welcome to the recruites. Everyone here is great.

N.

There are many septs associated with Lamont. Personally I only have a very distant RL affiliation with this particular clan, but of course my character could well be a relative - albeit a bit down the line! In game, my branch of Lamonts fled East after the Dunoon Massacre which galvanised them against the enemies of the Stewarts.
Back to top Go down

James Lamont Empty
PostSubject: Re: James Lamont   James Lamont Icon_minitimeWed Oct 10, 2007 9:14 am

Yeah when you go back that far, the whole thing gets so convoluted all you can do is guess hehe.

My character is based off of my distant RL family history which springs from either the Irish Lomans or the Scottish Lamonts. Of course other than knowing my family migrated from Ireland to America, I have no clue how many times they may have crosses the water between Ireland and Scottland especially with Loch Loman and Ben Loman in Scotland (again depending on the spelling you decide to use.) Other variations on the name are Lemond and Lohmond so even more convolution there hehe.

Still in all, if your character is of the Clan Lamonts, then it is likely my character has at least some very distant relation although that relation may be lost in antiquity.

You know that is the cool thing about a game being based on a real historical time. It actually allows you to tie in some of your own real family history into your character.

N.
Back to top Go down
OxBaker
Privateer Captain
Privateer Captain
OxBaker

Number of posts : 410
Registration date : 2007-09-10

Character sheet
Locations: Grenville
Production: Hemp, Rope, Canvas, Cotton, Sails, Textile Unrest Bundles
Requirements: Tar

James Lamont Empty
PostSubject: Re: James Lamont   James Lamont Icon_minitimeWed Oct 10, 2007 10:16 am

Quote :
You know that is the cool thing about a game being based on a real historical time. It actually allows you to tie in some of your own real family history into your character.
It also makes games like this that much tougher to play well cause you have to spend at least some time reviewing the history of the region, timeperiod, nations, etc or else you'll get people correcting you on your in game story and dialogue Wink

But nice looking character and story Stramash! Welcome aboard!
Back to top Go down

James Lamont Empty
PostSubject: Re: James Lamont   James Lamont Icon_minitimeWed Oct 10, 2007 10:21 am

Sweetness:

wolf and Stramash giving lessons; If I haven't already said so I enjoy history a great deal and Europe is one of my least knowledgeable areas...

Only in the HC can two strangers meet up and find that they may been distantly related.

cheers
Back to top Go down

James Lamont Empty
PostSubject: Re: James Lamont   James Lamont Icon_minitimeWed Oct 10, 2007 3:04 pm

OOC: There's much to come from the troubled character that is James Lamont! Question
Back to top Go down

James Lamont Empty
PostSubject: Re: James Lamont   James Lamont Icon_minitimeWed Oct 24, 2007 1:58 am

OOC

Hi All. Just dropping by to say that I'm going to be away for possibly a few more weeks relocating. pale

Looking forward to getting back into the swing of things asap.
Back to top Go down

James Lamont Empty
PostSubject: Re: James Lamont   James Lamont Icon_minitimeWed Oct 24, 2007 9:15 am

Thanks for the update, I hope things go well Smile
Back to top Go down

James Lamont Empty
PostSubject: Re: James Lamont   James Lamont Icon_minitimeSun Oct 28, 2007 8:05 pm

Take your time, I know moving can be a pain. I'll keep a seat for you at the Albatross.
Back to top Go down

James Lamont Empty
PostSubject: Re: James Lamont   James Lamont Icon_minitimeFri Nov 16, 2007 1:53 pm

Benoit_Bontecou wrote:
Take your time, I know moving can be a pain. I'll keep a seat for you at the Albatross.

OOC Hi all. Hope everyone's on an even keel. "a pain" - understatement but I'm almost done! Neutral

I'm officially taking a "few" hours off this weekend to watch Scotland vs Italy (what a crunch game) passion vs world champions and to do some stress testing! cheers
Back to top Go down

James Lamont Empty
PostSubject: Re: James Lamont   James Lamont Icon_minitimeFri Nov 16, 2007 3:59 pm

Good to hear from you, Stammish! Glad the moves almost over. Is your stress test name James Lamont? Cool

Jack
Back to top Go down

James Lamont Empty
PostSubject: Re: James Lamont   James Lamont Icon_minitimeFri Nov 16, 2007 4:32 pm

Jack McBain wrote:
Good to hear from you, Stammish! Glad the moves almost over. Is your stress test name James Lamont? Cool

Jack

On Rackam server as James Lamont. See you in Charlesfort sir!
Back to top Go down

James Lamont Empty
PostSubject: Re: James Lamont   James Lamont Icon_minitimeFri Nov 16, 2007 9:19 pm

I'm pulling for Scotland, and I'm praying Russia looses tomorrow... See you guys on Rackham
Back to top Go down
Deoiridh
Merchant Captain
Merchant Captain
Deoiridh

Number of posts : 669
Registration date : 2007-05-22

Character sheet
Locations: Belle Isle, New Orleans, Irish Point
Production: Shot, Cannons, Fittings, Powder, Unrest Supplies
Requirements: Saltpeter, Limestone, Doubloons

James Lamont Empty
PostSubject: Re: James Lamont   James Lamont Icon_minitimeWed Nov 21, 2007 8:53 am

Hey, Stramash, in your original app you said that you'd played WoW but became disillusioned with it. I'd be interested in hearing more about what turned you away. I've been thinking a lot recently about what pulls players into MMOs and what pushes them away (and thinking about how all that might apply to POTBS). I fell out of SWG pretty quickly after the NGE, and that seems to have been a common story for a lot of players. But I've heard so many different reasons why people have turned away from Wow.
Back to top Go down

James Lamont Empty
PostSubject: Re: James Lamont   James Lamont Icon_minitimeWed Nov 21, 2007 9:13 am

Deoiridh wrote:
...I fell out of SWG pretty quickly after the NGE, and that seems to have been a common story for a lot of players. But I've heard so many different reasons why people have turned away from Wow.

Me too, Deoiridh. I really liked the skill system pre NGE; it allowed a player the ability to create a really unique character. I also loved the game play integration between 'Entertainers' and the other skills. There were some awesome bands and great dancers in SWG pre NGE. Imo SoE really screwed up with the changes they made in the NGE.

Jack
Back to top Go down
Deoiridh
Merchant Captain
Merchant Captain
Deoiridh

Number of posts : 669
Registration date : 2007-05-22

Character sheet
Locations: Belle Isle, New Orleans, Irish Point
Production: Shot, Cannons, Fittings, Powder, Unrest Supplies
Requirements: Saltpeter, Limestone, Doubloons

James Lamont Empty
PostSubject: Re: James Lamont   James Lamont Icon_minitimeWed Nov 21, 2007 3:22 pm

Yep Jack, that's exactly the way I found it. I still think it's the most creative attempt to provide a more realistic "life skills" type approach to character building that an MMO game has tried.

I gave up after they killed the third career that I had tried (there was bioengineer, then creature handler, then ranger. . .all killed). I played a spy for a while and then that completely changed. . . it just got really old. It was getting to be so that I wasn't sure if I'd still be in the same career when I logged on. The biggest thing that got me about the NGE was that they absolutely shafted crafters. They effectively said, well, we've put an economy class in there, but we don't really know what we're going to do with it, so wait and see. Completely killed what had been the most amazing economy, the urban sprawl, the huge fields of harvesters. . .everything that I had grown to love. I'll never forget visiting Coronet on Corellia and finding it completely deserted, when prior to the NGE it used to be a vast open-air market (and, OK, complete lagfest).

I don't know about you, but I do miss the space combat though. I used to love pimping my ride, shopping for equipment that was marginally better than what I had, and many of the missions were great, and really challenging.

Tragic, really. And an object lesson of what happens when you try to go for the mass market (and therefore listen to the vocal whining minority) instead of helping your game carve out its niche.

I was just wondering if, from what I've heard, WoW is now going through a similar thing. There seem to be a lot of defections (Eve is picking up quite a few, so is Tabula Rasa, from what I've heard).
Back to top Go down

James Lamont Empty
PostSubject: Re: James Lamont   James Lamont Icon_minitimeTue Jan 01, 2008 12:34 pm

Was reading the above regarding what causes people to leave or stay in mmos.

For me, i've taken part in probably every single mmo ever released. Name it and i've probably been in the beta or played it in release.

My favourite games are Civilization, Colonization, Simcity, Railroad Tycoon and games which incorporate building and manufacturing, world wide god games.

In mmos, my favourites were Asherons Call for a unique edge, a world that changed every year, snow fell and the landscape changed, cities were destroyed. Everquest for the unique crafting system which followed into Eq2, the crafting was extremely complicated but equally interesting. But my most enjoyable and move loved mmo and the one i am most upset with was horizons. It should have been the GOD of all Mmos. It had the capability to beat world of warcraft in every way possible. But like many games of early production it lacked the support of companies the size of soe or microsoft or electronic arts. And the lack of finance eventually ruined it. But the game allowed you to be a dragon, growing from a hatchling to finally a flying monster. You could build houses and it wasn't just collect x,y,z you built the walls, the roof, the tiles, you built outbuildings and storage silos. You mined ore and smelted it, collected gem stones and cut them.

I've been in Eve and built the greatest of ships and in Ultima Online and played the most evil of rogues assisting in bring down the greatest of houses.

Ultimately, it all leads to boredom. After playing wow to level 60, through Paladin, Warrior, Mage, Warlock, Hunter, Priest and Shaman. Several times on different characters and started to take hunter to 70...i just got bored.

I think Boredom will eventually kill Potbs, for everyone. If Voyage Century had the gamestyle and graphics of Potbs, everyone would be playing that and noone in potbs. VC is massive. And by comparison Potbs is tiny. Even with 85 ports. It is tiny. In VC it can take 3-4 hours to make a journey in potbs it takes only 30-45 mins on avg.

What keeps people together? Friend ship. Pure and simple. Get everyone to know each other, esp via voice coms and people become friends for life or at least a very long time. If a guild/society ignores voice coms, people will leave. The only reason i continue to work where i do is because all my friends work there as well. The only reason i remained in wow for so long was my friends were there. But when they decided to leave i did as well. The game itself had become boring a long time before.

The secret of a great society is communication. Communication leads to friendships. Which in turn leads to Societies. Once you have that, the game itself becomes only a meeting ground, a glorified chat forum. The difference here is that with potbs we will have something in common and goals to achieve. Like Planetside...rvr has real gains. And since most of you know that as the French Side we will be the weakest player group. Which means by stint of your wanting to join this community you must already be aware of the most likely outcome and be prepared to overcome it.

In that then, shall we become friends, comrades and partners. And strive shall we to an end which is probably a pipe dream...but one we will share as friends.

And thats all that really matters.
Back to top Go down

James Lamont Empty
PostSubject: Re: James Lamont   James Lamont Icon_minitimeWed Jan 02, 2008 11:23 am

Makes perfect sense Rugworm; if i buy and play PotBS it will be for the resons you stated, I'm not entirely impressed with PotBS in it's current form, but I have enjoyed the time spent with the society members.

You mentioned Railroad Tycoon and I picked that up over the weekend; seems to be pretty fun; I have a really problem with trying to make everythign look neat but, the other guys keep building ugly looking lines all around and over MY stuff. Smile

D, I played wow for 3 years including Beta time. I didn't have a group of friends playing and was sort of a drifter, which if you think about says a lot about the quality of the game to be able to keep me envolved for so long. In the end the one thing that drove me off was I started noticing suble changes in the mechanics of the game which were geared towards keeping a person tied down for longer periods of time. For instance the knokdown percentages went up for creatures making it easier for them to knock you off your mount which in turn made you have to stop and fight useless battles more often [Read: a Time Sink]. I understand wanting to keep players in the game long enough for you to develope more content and while I feel for their cause I found myself less of an adventurer and more of a 9 to 5'er doing another days work! confused
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

James Lamont Empty
PostSubject: Re: James Lamont   James Lamont Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

James Lamont
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Archives :: The Old Recruitment Office-
Jump to: