HomePortalCalendarGalleryFAQSearchRegisterMemberlistUsergroupsLog in

Out and about....

Go down 
AuthorMessage

Out and about.... Empty
PostSubject: Out and about....   Out and about.... Icon_minitimeSun Oct 21, 2007 9:18 am

((This is the start of an open rp for whoever wants to join in. We'll start with Jack as he leaves the Albatross and head through town and toward the dock. Use messaging if you've got something in mind that you want to lay out or simply improvise and we'll see where we end up.

Remember, all are welcomed!))

Last edited by on Tue Oct 23, 2007 7:04 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

Out and about.... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Out and about....   Out and about.... Icon_minitimeSun Oct 21, 2007 9:25 am

The air is refreshingly cool as Jack closes the door of the Albatross and squints into the night for a glimpse of Jasper. "Interesting group of patriots", he thinks to himself."

Unable to spot his new acquaintance Jack makes his way past the well and ambles down the dirt road that passes through town and ends at the dock where Hornet is tied. People are still about enjoying the cool night air, walking and talking in the melodic nasal intonation of casual French conversation; entering or leaving buildings along the way. "Looks like a nice place to lay to for a while" he muses.
Back to top Go down

Out and about.... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Out and about....   Out and about.... Icon_minitimeTue Oct 23, 2007 1:37 pm

*Ponders as where Jack is and looks around for a moment and spots Jack coming up the Dock*

"Jack, lad, over here!!"

*Waves over Jack"

"Come on lad, you really do move slow for a Young man don't ya?"

*Jasper Chuckles*

"Lets find your ship Jack..."
Back to top Go down

Out and about.... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Out and about....   Out and about.... Icon_minitimeWed Oct 24, 2007 4:10 pm

A distinctly Welsh female voice, amongst all the gentle French in the air, can be heard from a small merchant ship docked nearby, flying a dark-colored fox.

"And then I say - ye caught me, we hid it all outside the ship, hung over the railing! And the Brit leans over -" a pause, and then roar of laughter from aboard the vessel follows, and when it subsides the voice can be heard again, this time indistictly - though a phrase carries it to the confederates' ears. "...our Highland fellows here. The rest of you seek me out in the Albatross, aye?" A round of "Aye aye"'s respond as the crew begins to disembark.

A compact female figure strides off the ship, with a wide-brimmed hat and patches on her skirt and longcoat, worn like a peddler king. One of her crew salutes her as she leaves; "Captain Ros!" she nods and waves in return, then turns and heads down the pier. As she approaches, she looks up and smiles at Jasper and Jack.
Back to top Go down

Out and about.... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Out and about....   Out and about.... Icon_minitimeThu Oct 25, 2007 8:08 am

*shivers with fear*

" A lady captian... "

*Whispers to Jack*

"I am wondering what type of sailor would be brave enough to sail with a female, let alone with one that is a cap'n..."

*waves at the lady with patch work clouthing*

*speaking directly to the lady*

" Forgive me if I don't reach out my hand to greet you... "

"I tend to have rather bad luck at sea if I touch a women's hand you see..."

"I do hope you do not hold this against me..."
Back to top Go down

Out and about.... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Out and about....   Out and about.... Icon_minitimeThu Oct 25, 2007 9:02 am

Jack and Jasper are stopped in their tracks, their attention fixed on the petite woman before them. Both the crew’s actions toward her and her bearing tell McBain she is either owner, captain, or both of the small merchant ship beside them bearing the name Vitrenard.

“Me friend Jasper be a bit superstitious from time ta time, but ain’t we all…” Jack trails off sounding somewhat discomboomerated as he returns her smile. “Did I hear ‘Albatross’ just now? We be just returning ourselves from there.

“Oh, where's me manners, Jack McBain, Master of Hornet, at yer service,” he offers with a slight bow as he vaguely points in the general direction of where his schooner is tied but without taking his eyes off the woman looking up at him. His smile widens as he begins to get his bearings of the situation.

Admiring the Vitrenard he asks “She be yers?”
Back to top Go down

Out and about.... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Out and about....   Out and about.... Icon_minitimeFri Oct 26, 2007 4:35 pm

She stops and looks michieviously at Jasper. "Well, ye're half right -" she leans a little towards him - "I can be awful bad luck to my enemies." she laughs and leans back. "An it ain't nothing to me if ye don't like to touch women, takes all kinds to sail the sea, after all."

She smiles at Jack and returns the slight bow. "Pleasure Master McBain. Tomasine Ros. Aye, that's mine, though she's not much to look at - need to get her patched up after a right narrow escape, might be staying here for a time." She puts a hand to her chin and looks sideways at Jack for a moment.

"Ye say ye've just come from the Albatross? Do I judge right by yer accents that you're - highland gentlemen?"
Back to top Go down

Out and about.... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Out and about....   Out and about.... Icon_minitimeFri Oct 26, 2007 4:44 pm

* pokes Jack with his elbow *

" aye, that we are..."

*points in the Direction of the Albatross*

"she be that way lass..."

Last edited by on Sat Oct 27, 2007 11:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

Out and about.... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Out and about....   Out and about.... Icon_minitimeFri Oct 26, 2007 7:10 pm

McBain tries but fails miserably to stifle a broad grin at the woman's retort. "Obviously she's had to deal with this point of view before", he chuckles to himself.

"Pleased ta make yur acquaintance, Cap'n Roos. Aye, indeed we be, ah...highlanders...at least Ah make that boast. Clan McBain be a highland sept o' Clan Chattan" he grins with a wink an' flick o' his index finger to the tip of his nose. The smile softens as he says, "I'll not speak of Jasper's voyage. He's his own story ta tell."

Taking his cue from de Groot he adds, "Jasper has charted yer course ta the Albatross, Cap'n. Keep yur heading dead ahead through town and watch for a well ta larboard on the far side. The Albatross be just beyond it, innkeeper's a Scotsman by name o' Willem McDough who can connect ye with who ye need."

Jasper's eyes dart back and forth toward Hornet and Jack adds, "If ye will excuse us, Cap'n, Me mate's on watch and needs be relieved".

Pulling himself up to his full six foot two frame he says politely, "A genuine pleasure to meet ye, Cap'n Roos. It may well be we share a similar destination in these waters which begins at the Albatross. Success to ye!"

Last edited by on Fri Nov 30, 2007 8:56 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

Out and about.... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Out and about....   Out and about.... Icon_minitimeSun Nov 04, 2007 12:36 pm

*Jasper tips his hat to the lady and turns to Jack*

"Nice meeting ya las, but Jack here was just about to show me his ship so we will take or leave of you and leave you to your short travel."

"Lets be Off to your beauty Jack!"

*with out any haist Jasper spots the New ship and starts walking abreast with Jack to meet a new Ally in the harbor*
Back to top Go down

Out and about.... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Out and about....   Out and about.... Icon_minitimeSun Nov 04, 2007 3:03 pm

Turning his attention to his friend they continue walking down the wharf as McBain muses, “Ah’v saw other women who for whatever reason live their lives ta’ sea. Not many mind you, and none as comely as the good Cap’n Roos.” “What do ye think if we….” Before he can finish his thought a jumble of curses and thunks are heard ahead. Following his ears McBain looks up to realize it is coming from his schooner. ‘Just what Ah don’t need’, he thinks, ‘some sort of trouble aboard Hornet’. Both men step up their pace to close the distance.

“Ye know better than try ta’ splice hawse line afore ye sober up, Jamie!” snaps Will from the deck of Hornet. “Lord man, yur a seasoned hand. Chances are ye’ll lose that finger an’ end up half the use ye was.”

As they come up the gangway they find Will down on one knee wrapping a dirty rag around the man’s bleeding finger. “We be drinkin’ with a sawbones, we have, Cap’n”, says another fellow looking on. “Ah can take Jamie back to him and get that finger sewed up like nothin’ ever happen.” McBain takes a close look at the wound and doubts a drunken chirurgeon can fix this mess. The marlin spike had run up the fleshy inside of Jamie's middle finger on his right hand, flaying flesh from bone. True the piece of meat was still attached by a thread; maybe it could be done.

Aye, take Jamie to ‘em”, says Jack with a sigh. “Let me know when ye get back aboard”. Looking at the wounded man he drops his voice, “Jamie me lad, ye be a true heart an' sorry Ah’m to see ye hurt by yur own doin', man. Tis the last time I’m tellin’ ya…don’t work when yur drunk. By Saint Andrew’s beard ta’ next time Ah’ll send ye home, Ah will.

As the wounded man is helped down the plank and off into town McBain wipes his hands on his pants and turns to his mate, “Will, this here’s a fellow highlander of sorts. Nae by birth ye understand, but by association. Meet Jasper de Groot. “Jasper, this be me mate, Will McBean.”

"Me pleasure, Mr. de Groot, Welcome aboard"...
Back to top Go down

Out and about.... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Out and about....   Out and about.... Icon_minitimeSat Nov 10, 2007 12:34 pm

Turning to his cousin he quietly requests, “Rouse Hammie an’ ask him ta' fix some victuals for a late snack, will ye? Then join us in ta aft cabin. Ah’m going to show Jasper ‘round Hornet."

The moon is full in the clear night sky, stars shimmering in their grand cosmic dance as Jack and Jasper walk slowly forward Hornet’s deck. With obvious pride he begins, "The schooner Hornet is eighty feet long at ta' water line, Jasper. She has a twenty two foot beam and best o' all she draws only 9 foot o' water, which makes for shallow navigatin’ when Ah needs ta avoid a crowd. That draft helps her speed as well", he adds with satisfaction.

They stop at Hornet’s uncovered fore hatch for a moment before continuing toward the bow. Barrels and crates are tightly packed into the hold. "Wish she had more cargo space. Carefully packed she carries only 30 tons. That's her biggest drawback", Jack laments as they start again to slowly make their way forward.

“But, all things considered, at 130 ton dead weight, fore and aft rigging, shallow draft, and good point into to the wind, she’s the fastest ship I’ve ever sailed! Can you believe it?” Jack asks.

Gesturing towards Hornet’s larboard rail he adds, "Right now she's lightly armed with only 4 three pounder cannons and 2 half pound swivels but Will and me think she can be modified to carry up to 14 three pounder and 14 half pound swivels. She’d be a formidable threat then." With a gesture that invites Jasper to turn back aft Jack eyes twinkle with his smile, “Jasper, me new found friend, may Ah offer ye a wee tot or two of 18 year old Glenmoragie? Tis the finest single malt Scotch whiskey made in a hundred mile radius of Inverness.”

Last edited by on Fri Nov 30, 2007 1:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

Out and about.... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Out and about....   Out and about.... Icon_minitimeThu Nov 15, 2007 4:20 pm

Jack McBain wrote:
Turning to his cousin he quietly requests, “Rouse Hammie an’ ask him ta' fix some victuals for a late snack, will ye? Then join us in ta aft cabin. Ah’m going to show Jasper ‘round Hornet."

Jasper says "Its ok, you already made a good impression from my observations in the Albatross, so no need to waste supplies on an old buzzerd like myself. However, if you have some nice cheese I would be more then happy to libirate some of that from you as I do love a good cheese from time to time after all, I am dutch."

The moon is full in the clear night sky, stars shimmering in their grand cosmic dance as Jack and Jasper walk slowly forward Hornet’s deck. With obvious pride he begins, "The schooner Hornet is eighty feet long at ta' water line, Jasper. She has a twenty two foot beam and best o' all she draws only 9 foot o' water, which makes for shallow navigatin’ when Ah needs ta avoid a crowd. That draft helps her speed as well", he adds with satisfaction.

They stop at Hornet’s uncovered fore hatch for a moment before continuing toward the bow. Barrels and crates are tightly packed into the hold. "Wish she had more cargo space. Carefully packed she carries only 30 tons. That's her biggest drawback", Jack laments as they start again to slowly make their way forward.

“But, all things considered, at 130 ton dead weight, fore and aft rigging, shallow draft, and 90 degree point into to the wind, she’s the fastest ship I’ve ever sailed! Can you believe it?” Jack asks.

Gesturing towards Hornet’s larboard rail he adds, "Right now she's lightly armed with only 4 three pounder cannons and 2 half pound swivels but Will and me think she can be modified to carry up to 14 three pounder and 14 half pound swivels. She’d be a formidable threat then." With a gesture that invites Jasper to turn back aft Jack eyes twinkle with his smile, “Jasper, me new found friend, may Ah offer ye a wee tot or two of 18 year old Glenmoragie? Tis the finest single malt Scotch whiskey made in a hundred mile radius of Inverness.”

"Every Angel requires there due, let us sit and enjoy this great liqure." *jasper gives a broad smile*

(( I will add more later but I am a little rushed for time so I hope this is ok Smile ))
Back to top Go down

Out and about.... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Out and about....   Out and about.... Icon_minitimeFri Nov 30, 2007 8:53 am

Morning came early, considering all the food, drink and tales shared by Jasper, Will and Jack the night before. Will had wandered off soon after the midnight repast prepared by the ship's cook was consumed and the bottle of Glenmoragie two thirds gone. Jack and Jasper dug around Hamie's restricted food locker and found a nice fat wheel of gouda direct from Holland which made Jasper a happy Dutchman. They nursed another couple of hours out of the last of the scotch and spent the time talking mostly about the work of the Highland Confederacy, Jack's burning desire to see James in his rightful place on the thrones of both Scotland and England, the women of the Carib, and the paths taken by each of them to reach Martinique.

It was the morning ruckus of the first watch that forced Jack's eyes open and a thundering pounding in his head made it impossible to close them again.

Looking around Hornet's cabin Jack finds no sign of Jasper save his empty glass on the table. Must have taken his leave and on his way, he thinks. Of all the interesting and varied people he met at the Albatross yesterday, Jasper intrigued him most. He seemed to Jack a man with some untold reason to keep large parts of his life secret, a complex person keeping a painful past close to his breast. One thing last night convinced Jack of, Jasper was a man he could trust with his life.

A quiet tap on his cabin door brings Jack's thoughts back to the present. "Enter", is all he can manage to get out. A heaping platter of steaming food in the large hands of Hamie comes through the door. "Ah though ye might want a bit o' fresh bacon 'e eggs to start ye off, Cap'n", is all he says, but the twinkle in his eyes and the smile on his face makes it immediately clear that he knows Jack is in some hurt this morning. "Ah've found me some strong coffee grown hereabout. an excellent potion of hot sauce and ye gotta try 'em both, Cap'n." he says putting the food down on the small table and gathering up the glasses, bottle and plates from the night's revelry.

"How's Jamie getting on?" Jack asked as his stomach fought down it's own nausea at the sight of all the food. "Much better than he's got any right ta be, if ye as' me", comes the reply. "Still got his finger, but now with 35 stitches. The sawbones says he may not loose it neither...if he dips it in some rum twice a day fur ta next two weeks that is. Oh, an' he's gotta change the bandage twice a day after each dipin."

"One more thing", Hamie offers as he makes his way out of the cabin. "Some fellow from HC stopped by at first light. He gave Will a location for the cargo. From the sounds of it, we can move it directly from here. All that racket you're a hearin' is Will getting the crew set to offload. He says it should be done by noon or so. Ah'll leave ya now". With that Hamie closes the door.

His stomach begins settling down as the aroma of strong black coffee starts to work its medicinal magic. "The burning sea, that's what Jasper calls the Carib. Got a feeling Ah'm going to find out why soon." He begins picking at the food.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Out and about.... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Out and about....   Out and about.... Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Out and about....
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Highland Confederacy RP Forums :: Copper Penny Publishing-
Jump to: