HomePortalCalendarGalleryFAQSearchRegisterMemberlistUsergroupsLog in

Niamh ua Duibhne

Go down 
AuthorMessage

Niamh ua Duibhne Empty
PostSubject: Niamh ua Duibhne   Niamh ua Duibhne Icon_minitimeSat Nov 17, 2007 8:56 pm

23 May 1720--a letter arrives by courier from France in the offices of the Highland Confederacy, wrapped in oilcloth and dated several months prior. It is penned in a flowing script, in mixed French and Irish Gaelic, and reads:

Dia diut a dhaoine uaisle,

I am Niamh ua Duibhne, only surviving daughter of Aodh mac Fionn ua Duibhne, daughter of Eire, granddaughter of misfortune. I am this July in my twentieth year, and bear letters of marque and reprisal in the names of King Louis XV of France and James, who by right is king of England, Scotland, and Ireland. I am now gathering my crew, and shall set sail for the Carribbean with the first good winds of the year. I have heard tell of a society of those who keep the Jacobite cause in the New World, and seek word of them.

My father was the only one of three brothers to return again, a decorated officer, from Cath na Boinne and the fall of
Luimneach. He took the wings of the Wild Geese, and sailed with James to France, where he continued to serve with the rightful king and the Irish Brigade until his death at the battle of Blenheim in 1704. My younger brother and sister died of typhoid in 1707. My older brother went as a midshipman in the French navy, and fought as gallantly at sea as my father had on land. He was the fourth officer on a French ship of the line when it was taken in 1718 by the English navy--no word of him ever came home to my mother and I, but one of the men who served with him later told me that when he fell, he was drenched in the blood of his enemies and singing out in Gaelic. When I was young, it was he who taught me to fight, with sticks in the woods, and to sail, on longboats built in the old Eirish way from hides and reeds. When I finally heard of his death, nearly a year after the last letter came, I wept bitterly, and the hatred I bore for the English hardened into steel inside me.

I tried to go in my brother's place to the navy, but they would not have a woman, despite that I could fight with sword or fist as well as any man, or navigate with and without instrument, or sail alone in open waters. So, when a privateer with letters from the French crown took a week of leave in the small harbor of my home town, I went with them. My mother did not argue me, for she was trained by her mother in the old ways and could read the truth in the heart of all she knew. She is a capable woman, and has never yet been troubled by the management of my late father's estate.

I will not write to you of the year that followed, except this: that after a skirmish with pirates in which the ship's navigator was slain (the only man to die from our ship), I took that role. That after we took a rich merchant ship from the English, I took my share of the loot and my father's and brother's pensions, and bought the ship from our captain, who was old and of age to retire. That I sail as soon as I can, for glory and riches . . . and revenge.

In ainm De,

Niamh ua Duibhne
Captain,
Oisin's Return

Also included in the letter is a rough sketch in charcoal and other natural pigments, of a tall woman, her hair roughed in red with ochre, wearing high boots and practical sailor's clothing.

/ic

ooc

Hello, well met. My name is Ben Mudd. I am a student at Washington University in St. Louis, studying anthropology and history. I am Irish by descent through my maternal line--ua Duibne is the ancient form of my grandmother's maiden name, Davin (O'Davin before her family came to America). I am, in my free time, a fighter in the Fianna Cu Ruadh, a company of reenactors and combat sporters (SCA, Belegarth, Dagorhir) based off of an ancient Irish fian. My persona name is Oisin Leathshuileach ua Duibhne, from which I drew my 15 centuries later inspiration for Niamh.

So, I hope my ooc reasons for being interested in the Confederacy are quite clear.

What is RP, then? Very hazy question, but in general, cooperative storytelling with rules. I have been a roleplayer for many a year, and although I would slit the throat of the man or woman who accused me of being a LARPer, I might have tried it once or twice. Currently, I mostly play Exalted in pen and paper, but I am also an anarchist revolutionary roleplayer in EVE online (Star Fraction represent).

Anyway, good to meet you guys, hope to sail with you soon.

Last edited by on Sun Nov 18, 2007 2:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

Niamh ua Duibhne Empty
PostSubject: Re: Niamh ua Duibhne   Niamh ua Duibhne Icon_minitimeSun Nov 18, 2007 6:55 am

Captain ua Duibhne,

We of the Highland Confederacy have received your letter. It is with a curious mixture of feelings as I read your tale of woe and determination. That your family has undergone so many hardships, is of course, saddening. But the feeling that is foremost is pride. Pride that you, clearly a woman of determination and strength for having overcome so much, have chosen to throw your lot in with us in our quest for freedom, glory, riches, and yes, revenge. Fear not. No man here will turn you away for being a woman, and if some fool lout does, he shall answer to me. When arrangements for the transfer of the ship are completed, please make your way for Martinique, where we shall great you at the Albatross.

Wilhelm von Somborn
Proprietor-General
The Highland Confederacy

OOC:
Again, welcome. Always nice to see a serious RP'er with an interest to join. I've never gotten the chance to play Exalted, although it certainly looks interesting. Anyway, I've added you as a new recruit, so feel free to drop by the other forums and post your ideas, or participate in RP in the Albatross.
Back to top Go down

Niamh ua Duibhne Empty
PostSubject: Re: Niamh ua Duibhne   Niamh ua Duibhne Icon_minitimeSun Nov 18, 2007 2:56 pm

Thanks. Good to be on board. Hopefully, eventually.

Exalted is fun, and it satisfies the power gamer urge in all of us, in a system balanced around the main characters being the demigod Princes of the Earth. It's like epic level DnD, done right, using the White Wolf system. I mean, sure, White Wolf has a penchant for getting some mechanics details wrong (the money/resources systems in Exalted is enough to give any storyteller a heart attack), but it's pretty damn good otherwise.

Also, in case anyone can't pick up what any of the Gaelic says (I kept
it light--my first thought was to write the entire letter in Irish and
then attach a translation, but I decided against that), here's a quick glossary:

Dia diut a dhaoine uaisle--Hello ladies and gentlemen (literally God with you)
Niamh--pronounced Nee-av or Neev--a somewhat common girl's name, also the name of a fae princess from mythology.
Aodh mac Fionn--Hugh McFinn, or Hugh son of Finn.
Cath na Boinne--Battle of the Boyne, early July 1690 (the 2nd as it was reckoned at the time, still using the Julian calendar, or the 12th under the Gregorian calendar).
Luimneach--Limerick. Place where the final defeat was dealt in Ireland to the Jacobite forces. Most were pardoned and allowed to leave with James for France, where they incorporated into the French army's Irish Brigade after James dissolved his own army a few years later.
In ainm De--Literally, in the name of God.
Back to top Go down
OxBaker
Privateer Captain
Privateer Captain
OxBaker

Number of posts : 410
Registration date : 2007-09-10

Character sheet
Locations: Grenville
Production: Hemp, Rope, Canvas, Cotton, Sails, Textile Unrest Bundles
Requirements: Tar

Niamh ua Duibhne Empty
PostSubject: Re: Niamh ua Duibhne   Niamh ua Duibhne Icon_minitimeMon Nov 19, 2007 1:19 pm

Dearest Child,

I am most greaved to hear of your loss but am confident that your families deeds have earned them thier place at our Lord's table. But for those of us who may not yet join the banquet, we will indeed continue the fight and exact good measure against our common foes.

Dia diut a dhaoine uaisle

Bishop Aidan McDermott

OOC: Loved your story and look forward to playing with you!
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Niamh ua Duibhne Empty
PostSubject: Re: Niamh ua Duibhne   Niamh ua Duibhne Icon_minitimeMon Nov 19, 2007 2:06 pm

A fine story indeed. Welcome to the Hc Oisin, hope to see you around and have a nice stay (permanent preferred Very Happy)
Back to top Go down

Niamh ua Duibhne Empty
PostSubject: Re: Niamh ua Duibhne   Niamh ua Duibhne Icon_minitimeMon Nov 19, 2007 4:02 pm

Fearadh na failte Niamh ua Duibhne!
Welcome indeed fellow countryman!

Ballymodan Haggertys
Back to top Go down

Niamh ua Duibhne Empty
PostSubject: Re: Niamh ua Duibhne   Niamh ua Duibhne Icon_minitimeMon Nov 19, 2007 5:04 pm

Welcome, you are sure to find like minds here. May your stay be long and your ventures profitable.

Jack
Back to top Go down
Deoiridh
Merchant Captain
Merchant Captain
Deoiridh

Number of posts : 669
Registration date : 2007-05-22

Character sheet
Locations: Belle Isle, New Orleans, Irish Point
Production: Shot, Cannons, Fittings, Powder, Unrest Supplies
Requirements: Saltpeter, Limestone, Doubloons

Niamh ua Duibhne Empty
PostSubject: Re: Niamh ua Duibhne   Niamh ua Duibhne Icon_minitimeWed Nov 21, 2007 8:47 am

A belated welcome! Nice to see another woman character in the confederacy. Would love to hear more about your re-enactment experience some time; Civil War reenactment is a popular past-time in the area where I live and I've found a lot of re-enactor gamers fall into roleplay quite naturally.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Niamh ua Duibhne Empty
PostSubject: Re: Niamh ua Duibhne   Niamh ua Duibhne Icon_minitimeMon Nov 26, 2007 11:00 am

OOC Loved the intro Oisin. Slainte mhath!
Back to top Go down

Niamh ua Duibhne Empty
PostSubject: Re: Niamh ua Duibhne   Niamh ua Duibhne Icon_minitimeMon Nov 26, 2007 12:40 pm

go rabh math agat, everyone!

glad to be in good company.
Back to top Go down

Niamh ua Duibhne Empty
PostSubject: Re: Niamh ua Duibhne   Niamh ua Duibhne Icon_minitimeWed Nov 28, 2007 1:33 pm

Wonderfully written; eloquent.

I have looked in on the SCA myself from time to time, but never managed to join any of them (branches/kingdoms).

I hope you find this group (and I think you will) an enjoyable company to spend time with on the high seas of the 1700s.

From what I've seen I would most assuredly enjoy yours.
Back to top Go down

Niamh ua Duibhne Empty
PostSubject: Re: Niamh ua Duibhne   Niamh ua Duibhne Icon_minitimeThu Jan 03, 2008 9:19 pm

(OOC)

Cool I used to push scuta for Calontir a few years back well met.
Back to top Go down

Niamh ua Duibhne Empty
PostSubject: Re: Niamh ua Duibhne   Niamh ua Duibhne Icon_minitimeFri Jan 04, 2008 5:52 pm

Welcome indeed milady!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Niamh ua Duibhne Empty
PostSubject: Re: Niamh ua Duibhne   Niamh ua Duibhne Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Niamh ua Duibhne
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Archives :: The Old Recruitment Office-
Jump to: