HomePortalCalendarGalleryFAQSearchRegisterMemberlistUsergroupsLog in

What are your ideas for ship names?

Go down 
AuthorMessage

What are your ideas for ship names? Empty
PostSubject: What are your ideas for ship names?   What are your ideas for ship names? Icon_minitimeWed Dec 05, 2007 1:28 pm

Just curious as to what my fellow Captain's are thinking of for ship names.
Here's a few of my favorites.
Le Maudit(French for "The Accursed") this is the one i'm starting with so it's taken but fell free to steal any of the following ones if they strike your fancy"
Ard Righ(Gaelic for High King)
Mhuir Righ(Gaelic for Sea King)
Mallaithe(Gaelic for Damned)
Mear Gaoth(Gaelic for Swift Wind)
Those are just a few of mine,What do you guys have?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What are your ideas for ship names?   What are your ideas for ship names? Icon_minitimeWed Dec 05, 2007 2:18 pm

My starter ship will be Littel man
My main cargo ship will be named based on my bussness.
My main combat ship will be Gwrthryfel (welsh for rebelion)

English to welsh translater can be found hear
http://www.tranexp.com:2000/InterTran?url=http%3A%2F%2F&type=text&text=Rebellion+&from=eng&to=wel
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What are your ideas for ship names?   What are your ideas for ship names? Icon_minitimeTue Dec 11, 2007 4:15 pm

Short story long: I played D&D when I was a wee lad and enjoyed reading the stories and history that evolved around the Faerun setting. I eventually ended up reading the Dridzzt (sp) stories as so many do and in one of the novels he finds himself sailing along the Sword Coast as a member of crew aboard a pirate hunter called the Sea Sprite. I liked the name and translated it into French (as best I could) and that's the history behind the naming of the Luron de mer.

Other ships will likely follow that pattern, i.e. the Sea Lion, Sea Dragon, etc...

geek

Last edited by on Tue Dec 11, 2007 5:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What are your ideas for ship names?   What are your ideas for ship names? Icon_minitimeTue Dec 11, 2007 5:17 pm

Since I'm roleplaying a Portugese sailor, I figured "The Lady of Lisbon" was appropriate enough for the 'home sick' feeling.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What are your ideas for ship names?   What are your ideas for ship names? Icon_minitimeTue Dec 11, 2007 7:14 pm

The Wolf will be my schooner (starting)
The Aurora is a small or medium frigate
and Later I may name one of my ships the Phoenix, I have a few other ideas, but still working them out.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What are your ideas for ship names?   What are your ideas for ship names? Icon_minitimeWed Dec 12, 2007 8:17 am

Oostendsche Furie.

Erasmus lost his parents and brother in Ostend when the English bombed the town in 1706. When the Austrians took over and killed his wife and children he left. This trauma will surface every now and then as Erasmus speaks. The name softens him as he thinks of his lost kin, next minute it enrages him and fills him with hatred. That's when the gentile merchant turns into a merciless privateer.

Ostend fury (or Ostend Hellcat) in English, but you might have figured that out already.

Last edited by on Fri Dec 14, 2007 5:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What are your ideas for ship names?   What are your ideas for ship names? Icon_minitimeWed Dec 12, 2007 9:55 am

Erasmus de Brouwer wrote:
Oostendsche Furie.

...Ostend fury (or Ostend Hellcat) in English, but you might have figured that out already.

What an excellent name for your ship, Erasmus.

I've no idea what Jack's ship will be named.

Jack
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What are your ideas for ship names?   What are your ideas for ship names? Icon_minitimeThu Dec 27, 2007 7:00 am

First let me say that many of the names you lads have conjured up, drunk or not are truly excellent indeed!

Me bein' a pirate and ships 'o old age *ahum* days enthusiast, have always either thought about or thought up ship names.

The one i will be sticking to as it has been in me mind for ages is not as inspirational as the ones ye all have come up with, but at least i seem to be steadfast about something in my life after all hehe!

The Adventure...

Not as some if not many will think, inspired by Mr. Teach though!

Did someone utter the words Portugese, or was it the bottle talking i wonder?!

O Escorpião a name inspired by my lady, from the city 'o the Januari river a former Portugese colony...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What are your ideas for ship names?   What are your ideas for ship names? Icon_minitimeTue Jan 01, 2008 12:10 pm

Bognor's mother was a wayward Campell lass who took up with a lowland borderer. But his father retained a sense of heritage and aristocracy so that the highlanders eventually warmed to him as, if not family, at least an acceptable presence. Young Bognor spent much of his boyhood climbing about the peak of Cruachan and it is with that fond memory he names his ship.

Bog
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What are your ideas for ship names?   What are your ideas for ship names? Icon_minitimeTue Jan 01, 2008 12:51 pm

My Main ship will always be the Scottish Ship Bute or SS Bute for short, named after my island of birth. And my surname.

My main trader will probably be just called "Trader" or "TheTub" or other similar.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What are your ideas for ship names?   What are your ideas for ship names? Icon_minitimeWed Jan 02, 2008 1:18 am

Well, Hmm.... good question.

I have one name in mind, but I'll probably wait until I get a better ship to give her such a name. At some point, though, I'll have to use

"Iolar na Mara" (Gaelic - Eagle of the Sea)

Incidentally, I think that ship names should be displayed in game. I don't know why they don't show up, but I'd like to see that (minor) change made. Adds a lot of character.

-A.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What are your ideas for ship names?   What are your ideas for ship names? Icon_minitimeWed Jan 02, 2008 10:37 am

True, it is a good question...me, I think my ship's name will be the Bantry Dancer, considering my roleplayer's personal heritage...
I try to put things like that into account:D
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What are your ideas for ship names?   What are your ideas for ship names? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

What are your ideas for ship names?
Page 1 of 1