HomePortalCalendarGalleryFAQSearchRegisterMemberlistUsergroupsLog in

Merci, mai non.

Go down 
AuthorMessage

Merci, mai non. Empty
PostSubject: Merci, mai non.   Merci, mai non. Icon_minitimeMon Dec 17, 2007 12:25 pm

(see also http://www.burningsea.com/forums/showthread.php?p=688967#post688967)

Adolphe nudged Maurice in the ribs. "Striking one, that, hien?" He
nodded toward the auburn headed mulatto woman dressed in red, top to
toe, leaning against the bar.

Maurice stuck his regal French nose back in his drink. "Stay away from
that one, my friend. She is what we call bad weather, yes? Haven't you
heard of LaRouge?"

Adolphe took a further appraising look. "That there, she is LaRouge?
The woman who has been terrorizing the pirates and various scoundrels
in these parts. The one who makes our rum?" At this last, perhaps his
voice was raised too much in enthusiasm, as the woman turned to meet
Adolphe's eyes. Her look smouldered, not in the way of some of the
fancier wenches. No, this was more like a combination of hellcat, and
the sort of look he'd seen in men who had killed, and found they liked
it.

Adolphe dropped his gaze, and turned back to the table and his grog. "I think she heard me," he whispered.

"Aye, and hope she thought you were appraising her drink and not her dress, my dear old man."

It takes a lot to be a woman managing property in the New World, but a
woman who owned property, fought, and held her own for what passes as
society here! Adolphe thought she must be some goddess. And black too!
Although he'd heard LaRouge's father was French and English (*pah*) or
some such unnatural mix. Perhaps that gave her that hair more like a
Spanish sunset.

He wondered what she was drinking -- her of the fine wines and spirits
-- but in this port tavern, she was drinking coffee. That almost made
him laugh again as he stole another glance in her direction.

===

Talking to the bartender, LaRouge noticed the shy young man
complementing her rum. "None of it to be had here, but it's good to be
recognized," she thought. She considered asking the ensign if he cared
for a drink of the better stuff, but then she'd have a drink, and then
she'd have another. Better to drink coffee -- she and her crew shipped
out shortly, their delivery of hardtack and cheese done here in St.
Augustine. Then it's home to Tampa, and hoping for a proper scrape or
two on the way home.

She had never seen the Old World, but she'd seen how badly its people
adapted here. Her own mother was a black freewoman, partly descended
from the ghost people of Haiti, and her mother's people fared better
here. The Europeans tried to make the place tame, and it wasn't meant
to be tame. Like her father tried to tame her mother...no, let's not
think on that so much...

She took a long pull on the coffee and smiled at the barkeep. "Thanks
for keeping these beans for me," she smiled. "Tastes like home when I'm
here."

She stood, adjusted her sword and parrying blade at her waist, and strode out the door.

===

The barkeep sighed. He'd known LaRouge since before her land, before
her ship, since she was a slip of a thing working cabin boy and
counting clerk on a merchant ship. Every year made her harder, yet
still graceful and gracious. Hard to believe she had killed hundreds --
with her own blades, or her crews and her ships.

He tucked away the canister of coffee until her next delivery day.

===

OOC Section

Player Description: Hi! I'm Shava Nerad. You can look me up in google -- I'm told my name is "very web 2.0."

LaRouge and I are looking for a light to medium/heavy RP society
with people with sense, respect, and humor. Former officer of guilds,
including the first ever, perhaps, tradeskill officer in Everquest.
Falling in love with the crafting, thinking of ditching Eve and closing
my eyes every time SOE comes up on login [SWG vet]. I'm 48, female in
RL, gamer since a kid, and love crafting/economic aspects of games.

Official Forum Name: shava

Profession: Joined open beta last week, have a business in Tampa making provisions, rum, wine, a recruiting office and a master draughtsman available on site. Enjoy killing pirates on the way anywhere.

What is RP to you? Well, the post above should be a bit of it. I like getting out of my head. My last job I often described to folks as an "International human rights LARP" (exec dir at http://tor.eff.org/) I believe that life is all roleplaying, but in RL it's about authenticity, honor, integrity, and being true to your characer. Or is that in games...? Meh, more people should roleplay RL more consistently, most of them are just sleeping through it...

When we were kids, we roleplayed to get to know each other and our friends better, to stretch our ideas of who we were and what kind of adventure we'd love to find in the real world, and what parts were scary. In games we can engage risks we can't embrace in RL, both in terms of the Big Fights (good/evil, life/death,...) and the social bits some of us could never flaunt on this side of the keyboard.

So, what changed? Should it have? Meh. Let's play!

Why would you like to join the Highland Confederacy?

I like what I've read, you sound like an fun group, and I definitely want to play the French in this game (although, there's something to be said to providing the finest rum in Tortuga...!). I'm a bit picky about guilds, and it sounds like you're selective without being rulebound and anal. And my EVE guild has been invaded by goons -- not the faction, just idiots who swear, gay bash, say ugly things about women, and I'm just tired of it. It was never RP, but this is it.

Thinking of selling my Eve accounts and jumping ship, as it were. Got a soft landing place?

Yrs,
Shava/LaRouge
Back to top Go down

Merci, mai non. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Merci, mai non.   Merci, mai non. Icon_minitimeWed Dec 19, 2007 8:06 am

OOC:
First off, I must say, "Nice writing." Your philosophy on life and on RP both sound very appealing, and I think there are many of us here that can appreciate your infestation problems. I can assure you that we do our best to keep the "goons" out. As for a soft place to land, I'm not sure how soft water is when your attempting re-entry without a ship, but as long as you don't go fast enough to catch fire it should be alright. Anyway, I've added you as a recruit. Feel free to make yourself at home.
Back to top Go down
Deoiridh
Merchant Captain
Merchant Captain
Deoiridh

Number of posts : 669
Registration date : 2007-05-22

Character sheet
Locations: Belle Isle, New Orleans, Irish Point
Production: Shot, Cannons, Fittings, Powder, Unrest Supplies
Requirements: Saltpeter, Limestone, Doubloons

Merci, mai non. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Merci, mai non.   Merci, mai non. Icon_minitimeWed Dec 19, 2007 8:42 pm

While she rarely acknolwedged as much even to her sister, Deoiridh's thoughts often circled back to being a woman on her own. While crossing the Atlantic the impropriety of it had sometimes concerned her; now she was here, it was the danger inherent in her isolation that weighed heavily. Caribbean society looked wildly unlike the society she had been used to, even in the diversity to be found from Inverness to Edinburgh to Paris. And maybe for men it was different, a glorious if brutal kind of playground, the same kind of action, but with all the restraints removed. But underneath the differences, for a woman there was much that was depressingly the same. Surely, Deoiridh thought, there had to be some other way, a middle ground between the corseted ghosts, glassed inside the large manor houses, and the hollow-eyed Biloxi dock doxies. Occasionally she heard rumors, of women like La Rouge of Tampa, successful traders, she had heard. Skilled merchants of death also, it was said. A life in commerce she could imagine; the strength to treat the lives of others as currency in a cosmic transaction. . .that she did not think she possessed. But still she wondered. What did it take to be a woman alone in this world. . .and survive?

OOC: Welcome, La Rouge. Sorry to hear about your troubles in Eve, but all that notwithstanding I think you would find a "soft landing" here as you put it. You'll also find more than a few of us are SWG vets, many of whom left for pretty much the reasons you might expect. It's a good group here, and we're starting to accumulate an interesting bunch of characters (we even have a resident priest). And remember, we're only French-affiliated, so there's nothing to stop anyone pursuing. . .other business interests, such as trading rum to the Pirates, to cite a hypothetical example. Trade with the British, however, and there will be more than harsh language involved!
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Merci, mai non. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Merci, mai non.   Merci, mai non. Icon_minitimeFri Dec 21, 2007 7:48 am

Merci! I feel very welcome -- except... I can not find any of you ((on Blackbeard, now -- I had started on another server, but I'm almost back where I was)).

How should I contact an officer to get a proper invitation ((in game)) to your organization?

Yrs,

LaRouge Laveaux
Captain, LaRouge Sang
Back to top Go down
Deoiridh
Merchant Captain
Merchant Captain
Deoiridh

Number of posts : 669
Registration date : 2007-05-22

Character sheet
Locations: Belle Isle, New Orleans, Irish Point
Production: Shot, Cannons, Fittings, Powder, Unrest Supplies
Requirements: Saltpeter, Limestone, Doubloons

Merci, mai non. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Merci, mai non.   Merci, mai non. Icon_minitimeFri Dec 21, 2007 10:09 am

It's all a little bit chaotic now. We've got several people on, but some are playing other nations at the moment (so they don't burn out on the experience before the launch in a couple weeks time) and some, like myself, hardly playing at all (for basically the same reason; I was in Beta pretty heavily for the last couple of months, and never was remotely bored or burned out, but I wanted to approach the whole experience fresh, with the guild as a whole). Several people are also not using the names that they plan to use once the game goes live (and which they are using here). The population caps they have put on the servers have complicated things a bit also (I was unable to log in to one server, for example). I believe both William and Ox at least are active at the moment, as well as several of the recruits, so hopefully they will respond with where they are at: I'll also post a "check in" thread on the General Discussion.

Once they announce the actual server list (still pending) and the shut-down period (still pending) we'll be able to make some more concrete decisions.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Merci, mai non. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Merci, mai non.   Merci, mai non. Icon_minitimeFri Dec 21, 2007 10:48 am

If you haven't already been invited by the time that I log in (in roughly fifteen minutes), I'll go ahead and send one myself. Just be warned that, at present, many of us are not playing in character quite yet...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Merci, mai non. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Merci, mai non.   Merci, mai non. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Merci, mai non.
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Archives :: The Old Recruitment Office-
Jump to: