HomePortalCalendarGalleryFAQSearchRegisterMemberlistUsergroupsLog in

Game should have been better

Go down 
AuthorMessage

Game should have been better Empty
PostSubject: Game should have been better   Game should have been better Icon_minitimeMon Dec 24, 2007 11:22 pm

Wow what can I say I think I would rather play WoW than play this game I am very unipressed. For 2 years of work only thing I like was the ships and that is not enough for me to want to pay to play. I plan on continueing with DAOC and EvE hope you all have fun with it take it easy. Soirebit
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Game should have been better   Game should have been better Icon_minitimeTue Dec 25, 2007 1:01 am

Wish you well. Everyone has their own style.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Game should have been better   Game should have been better Icon_minitimeTue Dec 25, 2007 1:02 pm

We shall see, I just loaded the beta yesterday.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Game should have been better   Game should have been better Icon_minitimeTue Jan 01, 2008 1:16 pm

To date, i honestly find Pirates of the Burning Sea the best game made. It has everything i look for in a game. Certainly a few bugs, but they arent anything to worry about.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Game should have been better   Game should have been better Icon_minitimeTue Jan 01, 2008 2:22 pm

I used to play DAoC but moved to LOTRO later. But honestly, I really enjoy Pirates of the Burning Sea, its reall fun and the graphics are astounding! I really must say, I've really enjoyed watching my uncle play it:D!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Game should have been better   Game should have been better Icon_minitimeTue Jan 01, 2008 3:53 pm

I wish I had been able to get into the closed Beta so I would have a better reference point to compare to, but overall, I found the open beta play quite enjoyable. The game still needs a bit of spit-n-polish with regards to avatar combat and I'd like to see the ability to group for quests, but overall I had fun and I think we can all agree that's what is most important in any MMO.

Myself, I'll be chomping at the bit to get home from work this coming Monday and set sail. Wink
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Game should have been better   Game should have been better Icon_minitimeTue Jan 01, 2008 4:04 pm

I had the opportunity to participate in the later stages of closed beta and stuck with it through open beta. Game mechanics and stability have improved steadily over that period of time, and imho it is ready for release.

Having said that I definately agree with the 'few bugs' report by rugworm and the 'bit of spit-n-polish observation of Argyll.

And I'll close with this echo of rugworm "i honestly find Pirates of the Burning Sea the best game made"! Totally agree with you, rugworm.

Jack
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Game should have been better   Game should have been better Icon_minitimeWed Jan 02, 2008 11:52 am

I'm afraid I miss the little things like sitting in a chair, swimming in the water, jumping, can't see a persons ship name, can't search for societies (or I couldn't figure out how to do it), can't adjust eye color, ... the list goes on and on. The details is what I enjoy the most; what really let's me bring out my emersion/role playing.

Also on the last night I played, I spent the whole time just crusing around PvP hot spots looking for a fight and the came kept crashing; and with my spec's there's no way that should be happening:

INTEL C2D E6850 3.00G 1333FSB RETAI
WD 740AD RAPTOR 74GB SATA2 10000RPM
CORSAIR 2X2GB TWIN2X4096-6400C5
24" IDE ROUND CABLE WITH 3 HEADS
C2D ASUS P5W-DH 975 X CROSSFIRE
CL SB X-FI XtremeGamer FATAL1TY RE
-----------Dual Video Cards-------------
ATI RADEON HD 2900XT 1GB DDR3 PCI-E
ATI RADEON HD 2900XT 1GB DDR3 PCI-E
WINDOWS VISTA ULTIMATE 32-BIT
THERMALTAKE MAXORB GAMING CPU FAN
THERMALTAKE TOUGH POWER 850 WATT

However, as I've mentioned in previous posts and with some of you in-game, there's huge potential for this game and the people in this society are ultimately what will bring me into the Caribbean come release.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Game should have been better   Game should have been better Icon_minitimeWed Jan 02, 2008 12:32 pm

The resion your crashing is simple POTBS has a memery leak.
and your sistom is memebery bottel necked becus your useing a 32bit operating sistom. 32 bit can only addreses a max of 4gm of memery.

That incueds all memery.
Your ram, your dive cash, your cpu cash, both of your vido cards Vram.
your sound cuards ram. In fact all the outhere memery gets addesed before your sitom ram. so of that 4 gigs of ram you got only 1.5g is being used. and then vista is useing around 1 gig. that leves you with about 500mb of ram for the game.

Has a longe term fix I wood recemnd upgradeing to a 64bit os.
for a tempary fix disabel one of your vido cards when you play Potbs.
That will free up a extra gig of ram
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Game should have been better   Game should have been better Icon_minitimeWed Jan 02, 2008 2:39 pm

I didn't know the 32 bit processor was limited in that way, however the Video cards have their own memory and should be using very little memory resources from the processor itself. No?
Back to top Go down
OxBaker
Privateer Captain
Privateer Captain
OxBaker

Number of posts : 410
Registration date : 2007-09-10

Character sheet
Locations: Grenville
Production: Hemp, Rope, Canvas, Cotton, Sails, Textile Unrest Bundles
Requirements: Tar

PostSubject: Re: Game should have been better   Game should have been better Icon_minitimeWed Jan 02, 2008 2:48 pm

Benoit_Bontecou wrote:
I'm afraid I miss the little things like sitting in a chair, swimming in the water, jumping, can't see a persons ship name, can't search for societies (or I couldn't figure out how to do it), can't adjust eye color, ... the list goes on and on. The details is what I enjoy the most; what really let's me bring out my emersion/role playing.

Also on the last night I played, I spent the whole time just crusing around PvP hot spots looking for a fight and the came kept crashing; and with my spec's there's no way that should be happening:

However, as I've mentioned in previous posts and with some of you in-game, there's huge potential for this game and the people in this society are ultimately what will bring me into the Caribbean come release.
I gotta agree that the potential is what will keep me around. If they can fix the lag, flush out the whole avatar system some more and add explorable landmasses, a political system and some of the other bells and whistles they have talked about, I think this will be a killer game. But for now, at least for me, it definetly has it's pro's and con's. At least there are enough pro's that it will keep me around for a while to see what becomes of the other areas Wink

And BTW, Happy New Year!
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Game should have been better   Game should have been better Icon_minitimeWed Jan 02, 2008 3:30 pm

bit of memery has to be given a adderes by the os.
disabpinly one vido card does not make it use less ram.
it just frees up a amount of memery addeses equel to the vram wich will then go to your sistom ram allowing it to be used.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Game should have been better   Game should have been better Icon_minitimeThu Jan 03, 2008 3:40 pm

Nafren Crezen wrote:
bit of memery has to be given a adderes by the os.
disabpinly one vido card does not make it use less ram.
it just frees up a amount of memery addeses equel to the vram wich will then go to your sistom ram allowing it to be used.

Although Vista 64 can read 4 gig’s of memory there’s much debate as to whether or not it can use it all. But that's irrelevent, most video cards now have built in processors; mine do. And with pci-express fsb is not an issue. The only thing that should be using up my RAM is the OS. PotBS should not have to leave my video cards where memory is concerned.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Game should have been better   Game should have been better Icon_minitimeThu Jan 03, 2008 4:07 pm

Any 64 bit siston can use 8 gigs of memery be it vista lenex mac or the varoius servers OS most folks never heard of.
The 32 os limits is not a hardwere limit what prossres you have what your FSB you have is irrellevent. any 32 bit OS only has 4 gig totel of memery addesses to give out. Every thing that needs a memebryu adddres be CPU cash, flash drives, sistom ram or vido ram all take from the same pool of addresses. when you have more memery then addesses the sitom has to priotize. and the lowist piroity is sistom ram.

So if you disabel unnedded or redundent memery. you free up a numbber of addeses equiel to the amount of memery you just disabeled. Unless it was not being used in the first place.
Back to top Go down
OxBaker
Privateer Captain
Privateer Captain
OxBaker

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Game should have been better   Game should have been better Icon_minitimeThu Jan 03, 2008 4:23 pm

Nafren Crezen wrote:
Any 64 bit siston can use 8 gigs of memery be it vista lenex mac or the varoius servers OS most folks never heard of.
The 32 os limits is not a hardwere limit what prossres you have what your FSB you have is irrellevent. any 32 bit OS only has 4 gig totel of memery addesses to give out. Every thing that needs a memebryu adddres be CPU cash, flash drives, sistom ram or vido ram all take from the same pool of addresses. when you have more memery then addesses the sitom has to priotize. and the lowist piroity is sistom ram.

So if you disabel unnedded or redundent memery. you free up a numbber of addeses equiel to the amount of memery you just disabeled. Unless it was not being used in the first place.

I understand your reasoning and while it is true that the maximum size of an address in a program in a 32 bit processor is usually 32 bits, it's none the less possible for the processor to extend the address using other means to enable it to access a larger physical memory. Some members of the 32 bit Intel IA32 family of processors (Pentiums) can access 2^36 bytes (64GB) of physical memory using the ESMA (Extended Server Memory Architecure). A virtual address is still limited to 32 bits but 4 extra bits can be tacked onto it during translation to a physical address. This means that each process can only access at most 4GB at once transparently though a pointer but the system as a whole can use more and the process can keep more data in memory with the help of the OS....

Just my 2 cents Wink
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Game should have been better   Game should have been better Icon_minitimeThu Jan 03, 2008 4:30 pm

Very educational, I'm learning a lot from you guys.

EDIT:
It just dawned on me... It could be my dual processor, for NWN2 and the expansion I would get crashes and the game was not able to handle dual core so I had to go in and set my affinity, or rather uncheck one of my CPU's in the affinity... this feels very similar to that.

When the game comes out I'll try that and see if it helps.
Back to top Go down
OxBaker
Privateer Captain
Privateer Captain
OxBaker

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Game should have been better   Game should have been better Icon_minitimeFri Jan 04, 2008 1:46 pm

Benoit_Bontecou wrote:
Very educational, I'm learning a lot from you guys.

EDIT:
It just dawned on me... It could be my dual processor, for NWN2 and the expansion I would get crashes and the game was not able to handle dual core so I had to go in and set my affinity, or rather uncheck one of my CPU's in the affinity... this feels very similar to that.

When the game comes out I'll try that and see if it helps.
Glad you mentioned this because I have dual core and am just staring the NWN2 campaign online with a couple friends so I'll have to try your suggestion if I have the same problem.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Game should have been better   Game should have been better Icon_minitimeMon Jan 07, 2008 1:12 am

Benoit,

I don't think system memory space is the problem. I'm running with 2 GB RAM in Windows XP (SP2) and it took the memory leak about 4 hours to crash my client during the open beta. It was a pretty reliable crash too - about 90% of the time, I'd get a hard lockup around the 4 hour mark, or some other totally insane thing would happen. Depending on programming practices, insidious memory leaks that are deeply buried can take months to find. I figure I'll be closing and restarting the program about every three hours, at least for a while.

I think many of the suggestions here are interesting ones, iif only in an attempt to isolate what's causing you to crash so quickly.

I don't think dual core is the problem. My machine is dual core, and doesn't have the problems you do (although it's an intel Pentium D dual core, each core running at 3.2 GHz).

Disabling one of the graphic cards is an experiment that really shouldn't hurt you. I could run the game with everything maxed (except the visible crew on ships in naval battles) on a single 8800 GTS with 640 MB VRAM. One of your ATI cards "should" do just a well.

I'm sure you've updated your ATI video drivers. That's usually the first step anyone does when confronted with inexplidable crashes.

If you have an old nvidia video card, consider swapping out the ATIs for the nvidia as a wild experiment - just to see if it's the ATI drivers and hardware. FLS has had some major problems supporting ATI video.

Do you have a USB headset? Many of the better ones bypass the sound card, and thus the sound drivers that go with it. I know it sounds insane, but malfunctioning sound hardware and/or cruddy sound drivers can play havoc in all sorts of unexpected places.

Finally, I hate to say it and Microsoft tries to downplay it, but lots of software today has compatibility problems with Vista. I know it's a bit late now to talk about it, but have you considered reinstalling to create a dual boot machine (XP and Vista), with a Windows XP partition of sufficient size to support all your existing games (including PotBS)? Yes, I know, a full reinstall is a huge core. I guess it depends on how badly you want to play. Personally, I will do it when I'm finally forced to adopt Vista, simply to make sure all my existing games continue to run properly.

((yes, techy females exist too))
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Game should have been better   Game should have been better Icon_minitimeMon Jan 07, 2008 7:21 am

von Klein wrote:
Benoit...I hate to say it and Microsoft tries to downplay it, but lots of software today has compatibility problems with Vista. I know it's a bit late now to talk about it, but have you considered reinstalling to create a dual boot machine (XP and Vista), with a Windows XP partition of sufficient size to support all your existing games (including PotBS)? Yes, I know, a full reinstall is a huge core. I guess it depends on how badly you want to play. Personally, I will do it when I'm finally forced to adopt Vista, simply to make sure all my existing games continue to run properly.

((yes, techy females exist too))

((I love it when wemen talk like that!))

Benoit, This is an excellent technical post. I can add only one other suggestion; create a dxdiag.txt file and include it with a trouble ticket to PotBS technical support. Take 'PrintScreen's of any error message this problem is generating and include them as well. Also, check the official tech forums for other similar problems. Good luck, Ben...see you in game.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Game should have been better   Game should have been better Icon_minitimeMon Jan 07, 2008 7:55 am

There was a memory leak in Potbs, i reported it as well. On initial game load the execute file ran at 400k usage which is about average. After a few hours the execute file was using about 1,180kb and at about 1,200kb it would crash to desktop at it runs out of space at 1,500 kb. Which is the max cach of my cpus. cpu memory will only support a max number of programs initial memory usage, once that memory is gone it will dump the largest program, or more usually the program will dump itself.

More specifically, the cpu usually has about 540kb of reserved memory, to allow programs to start. So the max on a 2mb cache would be about 1460kb i guess. So soon as all the active programs combined hit this mark. Boom goes the pc.

As for the full install, you don't need to do this, if you burn a direct backup to dvds, you can just drag drop paste the orginal back onto the hard drive after dual installing. And then just run the game executable and it will reconfigure its cfg to use whatever active os you have. ie potbs will run fine.

To clarify, theres 2 types of memory leak. cpu cache memory and main bank memory. A main bank memory leak is difficult to locate, as every working part of the program needs to be checked. This isn't actually that hard. Nor is finding a memory leak in a cpu cache. The problem is the age old problem. People who get paid too much are lazy and coders hate doing what is actually a part of thier job. If coders did thier job properly, there would never be any memory leaks. As testing the code is part and parcel of coding.

It's all well and good to say "but theres 2 million line of code to check" but most code is copy/paste and even if theres 2 million lines it can still be checked page by page using a program. So the reason just becomes an excuse and excuses aren't excusable.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Game should have been better   Game should have been better Icon_minitimeMon Jan 07, 2008 2:58 pm

I shut some things off in msconfig and will done down my setting if the crash continues, I'll take further actions. You were right in that I don't wish to set up a dual boot. I'll do my best to work with what I have before it comes to that.
I believe most, if not all, o fyou were spot in in that Vista is a major cause of such problems and I've had sound card and drivers probelms before as well (gosh what a nightmare that was) and why I spent the extra cash this time around for a decent sound card; we all know that's not always the answer but, it's somethign I wanted to try based on previous headaches.

Thanks everyone.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Game should have been better   Game should have been better Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Game should have been better
Page 1 of 1