Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Petition of Liam O'Connell

Go down 
AuthorMessage

Petition of Liam O'Connell Empty
PostSubject: Petition of Liam O'Connell   Petition of Liam O'Connell Icon_minitimeThu Dec 27, 2007 4:00 pm

Gentlemen,

I set quill to paper this day in order that I might petition for admission to the Highland Confederacy. It is my earnest desire to obtain the good company, support, mutual trust of those of my fellows whom, like myself, desire nothing more than to see our countries free of the oppressive tyranny of the English Crown.

Indeed, an unfortunate series of events, set in motion by a pernicious English lordling, led me to abandon my study of the law in order to support my widowed mother and my sisters. However, due to those same events, regular employment was not something I could aspire to. It was at that time I made the acquaintance of men who had fought in the Cogadh an Dá Rí or The War of the Two Kings and were therefore required to supplement their meager fortunes at the expense of our English landlords. As you may imagine, I moved about Eire a great deal in those days, as one must in such a profession. I was perhaps too successful in my newly chosen career, eventually fleeing the country after having been betrayed by a false hearted traitor seeking the reward for my person offered by the Mayor of Cashiell.

I fled to France, where I became involved in the coasting trade, actively involved in the circumvention of oppressive and illegitimate English taxation, as well as transporting French and Spanish arms covertly to Alba. However, after the active participation of some of my men and I in the disaster of Glen Shiel, my escape from the aftermath of which is too lengthy a tale to recount here, I determined to remove myself to sunnier climes. Thus, I find myself in the Carib.

I have been informed, by those I consider worthy of trust and belief, that your organization may be able to assist me in acquiring a Letter of Marque from France, to enable me, with some legality, to continue my active opposition to the perfidious English.

My ship is presently being careened after the long voyage from Europe and will not likely see much service prior to being relaunched the week after next. However, I hope that this petition meets with your approval and look forward to your reply with anticipation.

Your obedient servant,

Liam O’Connell, Capt.
Rapparee

OOC Stuff:

When I first tried PotBS I had already decided to play on the French side due to the unbalanced nature of the server populations. Then, when I read the HC society post I was extremely impressed. It is not often that I run into gamers, especially in an MMORG, who even know what a Jacobite is.

I have been an avid role player for over 25 years (arrg that makes me feel old!). I am also a big history buff and the Age of Sail is one of my favorite historical periods. Anyway, you people look like a great group with a strong and unique background and I’d very much like to join. I intend to primarily play a privateer, but I can also see myself doing a free trader alt in the future.

My FLS forum name is agorfein but I don’t believe I’ve ever posted there, mostly I’ve been lurking.

Last edited by on Fri Dec 28, 2007 2:53 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Petition of Liam O'Connell   Petition of Liam O'Connell Icon_minitimeThu Dec 27, 2007 4:26 pm

Let me be the first to extend my hand as a warm welcome Mr. O'Connell!

Your history is unique as are most personal accounts i have read in these past days, and indeed i fully agree that this gatherin' is a rare find if not an emerald in the making or better shaping! Hopefully after the festivities 'o Christmas and the passing of the old year we shall meet many others who have somehow joined or are willing to join this cause...

Dashin' eh?!

Yours,

Henk Owl
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Petition of Liam O'Connell   Petition of Liam O'Connell Icon_minitimeFri Dec 28, 2007 2:47 pm

Owl wrote:
Dashin' eh?!

Of course dashing! You wouldn't expect me to play a merely ordinary privateer would you?!? Smile

Thanks for the welcome!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Petition of Liam O'Connell   Petition of Liam O'Connell Icon_minitimeFri Dec 28, 2007 3:04 pm

By the way, my background and ship name were inspired by a song by Tommy Makem, the lyrics to which can be found here:

http://www.makem.com/discography/recordings/lyricpage/rapparee.html
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Petition of Liam O'Connell   Petition of Liam O'Connell Icon_minitimeFri Dec 28, 2007 4:13 pm

A man of your experience would be a welcome asset among the confederacy, I assure you. Pull up at chair, let us talk for a bit.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Petition of Liam O'Connell   Petition of Liam O'Connell Icon_minitimeFri Dec 28, 2007 4:56 pm

Tis a pleasure to offer you warm welcome to the Highland Confederacy. You'll find us a loyal gathering of Lads and Lasses, all sharing the common goal of bleeding the English until they depart the shores of both Erin and Scotland.

Captain Jack McBain

((Thanks for posting a link those lyrics. They're a pleasure to read. Enjoy our forums, post as you have inclination. We look forward to getting to know you better))
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Petition of Liam O'Connell   Petition of Liam O'Connell Icon_minitimeSat Dec 29, 2007 11:14 am

Benoit_Bontecou wrote:
A man of your experience would be a welcome asset among the confederacy, I assure you. Pull up at chair, let us talk for a bit.

'Tis a fine, handsome welcome I've received here and I'd not be adverse tae swappin' tales over a pint.

Nae sir! You've provided the chair, the least I can dae is stand the first round! Is there a particular topic on which you'd ha' me expound? Like any gaed captain I caud talk 'o the virtues of my ship fer hours, perhaps days, eh? Or perhaps you'd like me tae address the perfidities an' infirmaties of the anglish? That'd be a subject for a week o' steady drinkin', but tomorrow bein' a Sunday I might be a bit late fer mass. So what's yer pleasure sir?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Petition of Liam O'Connell   Petition of Liam O'Connell Icon_minitimeSat Dec 29, 2007 2:50 pm

"Happy I am, for the pint and any word you might have brought with you on the happenings of Europe."

"As barter I offer you any knowledge I have of the happens here in West Indies. For starters the weather has killed more here than the English and Pirates put together. So before you go out hunting or preparing your ship for battle, I encourch you to study the charts and learn the currents and the weather patterns."

"I was lucky enough to get that same advice when I first arrived and it's saved my ship a time or two, no doubt about it."

'La nature da mere a son oeil sur monsieur dec ces eaux.' You'll hear that phrase often in here, it means mother nature watches these waters with ill content. ... or something like that, my English has a long way to go."

~Gives a smile and takes a drink.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Petition of Liam O'Connell   Petition of Liam O'Connell Icon_minitimeMon Dec 31, 2007 1:36 pm

Aye, wind and tide are all to a sailor. I’ve heard tell of the great storms of the Carib, these hurricanes. I’m curious, how dae they compare to the winter storms of the north sea? Captains ha’ told me that nae ship can survive one an’ tha’ a ship’s canvas can be stripped in an instant by winds of unsurpassed power. God willin’ I’ll n’ere be caught in one.

As fer news from Europe, the biggest news when I left was that a bunch of Anglish toff’s ha’ lost their pretty shirts in bad investments. Seems the South Seas tradin’ company ran hard aground an’ is sinkin’ fast. What’s more, the company owns a big piece of the Anglish crown debt. The director’s ha’ traded company shares fer Anglish bonds. Now it looks as if the whole bloody thing may go tae pieces, an’ I’ll drink a toast tae that!

(Sorry for the delayed reply, I was away for the weekend)
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Petition of Liam O'Connell   Petition of Liam O'Connell Icon_minitimeMon Dec 31, 2007 3:36 pm

"And a fine toast it is; salute."
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Petition of Liam O'Connell   Petition of Liam O'Connell Icon_minitimeMon Dec 31, 2007 5:06 pm

I hope you don't mind, I took the liberty of moving this over to the albatross under the post "Please be seated and have a drink..."

Link here
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Petition of Liam O'Connell   Petition of Liam O'Connell Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Petition of Liam O'Connell
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Archives :: The Old Recruitment Office-
Jump to: