HomePortalCalendarGalleryFAQSearchRegisterMemberlistUsergroupsLog in

1/3/08 revised server list etc.

Go down 
AuthorMessage

1/3/08 revised server list etc. Empty
PostSubject: 1/3/08 revised server list etc.   1/3/08 revised server list etc. Icon_minitimeThu Jan 03, 2008 2:30 pm

http://www.burningsea.com/page/news/article&article_id=10533

Answers such mysterious questions as: "How did you decide on so many servers?" and "Why are the EU servers located in Seattle?"

new list for those only interested in that:

US

• Blackbeard

• Rackham

• Morgan

• Kidd

• Antigua

• Guadeloupe

• Bonny

EU

• Roberts

• Bellamy

• Hornigold

• Bonnet
Salut!
LaRouge
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 1/3/08 revised server list etc.   1/3/08 revised server list etc. Icon_minitimeThu Jan 03, 2008 3:04 pm

From Gray Noten in that thread:

Quote :
Some additional answers...

My devlog should be considered somewhat authoritative, for those of you
who are confused. Rusty and Aether both reviewed it before I posted it 1/3/08 revised server list etc. Wink

Australian details really are coming soon. Rusty gave the department
heads an update yesterday, and hopefully will post more details soon.

We partner with two different companies to provide GM support. One for
US, one for EU. The EU partner requested the historical and per
language breakdown of the original list. I suspect they will do the
same for this list, and that will get announced one way or another soon.

I should clarify though. If you buy the game and run it in German,
everything is in german except for the chat. Since we don't limit who
can connect to what EU and US server, that is inevitable. The 'This is
a German Server' tag is ONLY for ingame events run by GMs. What it
means is that any ingame event will only be run in German on that
server. But you can play a fully localized version of the game on any
server, so you could end up with german quests and whatnot while
playing on a US server.

We decided against doing time zone designations on the US servers. So no Pacific/Mountain/Central/Eastern designations.

Just more info.
Back to top Go down
OxBaker
Privateer Captain
Privateer Captain
OxBaker

Number of posts : 410
Registration date : 2007-09-10

Character sheet
Locations: Grenville
Production: Hemp, Rope, Canvas, Cotton, Sails, Textile Unrest Bundles
Requirements: Tar

PostSubject: Re: 1/3/08 revised server list etc.   1/3/08 revised server list etc. Icon_minitimeThu Jan 03, 2008 4:34 pm

Glad Bonny made the cut as that seems to be what the PotBS community is leaning towards as the unofficial RP server.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: 1/3/08 revised server list etc.   1/3/08 revised server list etc. Icon_minitimeThu Jan 03, 2008 4:37 pm

I do wonder if FLS just did not have enoughf funds left to buy there arignely intended 10 servers
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 1/3/08 revised server list etc.   1/3/08 revised server list etc. Icon_minitimeThu Jan 03, 2008 5:49 pm

There is probably no way of really knowing that I am aware of...the scuttlebutt around the Pacific Northwest developer community (FLS is Seattle based) has always been that they are very well healed and I haven't heard a change in that perception recently. But, who really knows.Question
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 1/3/08 revised server list etc.   1/3/08 revised server list etc. Icon_minitimeThu Jan 03, 2008 7:26 pm

Jack McBain wrote:
There is probably no way of really knowing that I am aware of...the scuttlebutt around the Pacific Northwest developer community (FLS is Seattle based) has always been that they are very well healed and I haven't heard a change in that perception recently. But, who really knows.Question

Well, there was endless concern being expressed on the forums that the original number of servers was too large and there would be empty servers, etc. so they may just have decided to add new servers as needed.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 1/3/08 revised server list etc.   1/3/08 revised server list etc. Icon_minitimeThu Jan 03, 2008 9:12 pm

Well with the change of Roberts to an English EU server, as well as the fact that the servers are in Seattle should give you folks a better reason for coming to Roberts. Wink Oh and did I forget to mention your arch-nemesis will be there? Razz
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 1/3/08 revised server list etc.   1/3/08 revised server list etc. Icon_minitimeThu Jan 03, 2008 9:42 pm

Horatio is correct:

Quote :
Ok, Ok, I get it. But wheres the new server list?

Heres the server list for preboarding based on our current plans:

US
Blackbeard
Rackham
Morgan
Kidd
Antigua
Guadeloupe
Bonny

EU
Roberts (EU English Speaking)
Bellamy (EU Spanish Speaking)
Hornigold (EU French Speaking)
Bonnet (EU German Speaking)

http://www.burningsea.com/page/news/article&article_id=10533

So, Roberts is looking good, eh? Smile

Last edited by on Thu Jan 03, 2008 9:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 1/3/08 revised server list etc.   1/3/08 revised server list etc. Icon_minitimeThu Jan 03, 2008 9:42 pm

Horatio Hawke wrote:
Well with the change of Roberts to an English EU server, as well as the fact that the servers are in Seattle should give you folks a better reason for coming to Roberts. Wink Oh and did I forget to mention your arch-nemesis will be there? Razz

When I have played games that had EU-specific servers (UO and SWG) I've always enjoyed the playstyle on those servers. It was at once more rough in terms of PvP and yet much more "roleplay-ish" than US servers.

Since my character is a borderer, he's "sort of British" and having an "arch nemesis" who is British may play well into his story. I think much of the Society may harbor a bit of suspicion towards him -- perhaps with some very small but nevertheless real cause... (In an RP sense only!)

But I will go wherever the Confederacy chooses to go.

Bog
Back to top Go down
Deoiridh
Merchant Captain
Merchant Captain
Deoiridh

Number of posts : 669
Registration date : 2007-05-22

Character sheet
Locations: Belle Isle, New Orleans, Irish Point
Production: Shot, Cannons, Fittings, Powder, Unrest Supplies
Requirements: Saltpeter, Limestone, Doubloons

PostSubject: Re: 1/3/08 revised server list etc.   1/3/08 revised server list etc. Icon_minitimeFri Jan 04, 2008 8:22 am

Horatio Hawke wrote:

Bah, we create nemeses wherever we go!

BTW, at the risk of pointing out the obvious, where the server is located is immaterial. It could be located in Timbuktu. The real consideration is play times. Even if the server is located in Seattle, Euro players will still be connecting during their peak time. Whether or not that is an issue for us I don't know. Last I heard we were going with Bonny as the unofficial RP server. Has that changed?
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: 1/3/08 revised server list etc.   1/3/08 revised server list etc. Icon_minitimeFri Jan 04, 2008 8:44 am

Horatio Hawke wrote:

Horatio, you like live a half hour away from me...What are your game time hours going to be in a day on Roberts? How is your society going to deal with the time issue?

Jack
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 1/3/08 revised server list etc.   1/3/08 revised server list etc. Icon_minitimeFri Jan 04, 2008 4:11 pm

Jack McBain wrote:
Horatio Hawke wrote:

Horatio, you like live a half hour away from me...What are your game time hours going to be in a day on Roberts? How is your society going to deal with the time issue?

Jack

/hijack

Bloody 'ell, Hawke lives in Western Wa as well? Sounds like a conspiracy in the making!!! Wink

Bog
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 1/3/08 revised server list etc.   1/3/08 revised server list etc. Icon_minitimeFri Jan 04, 2008 5:48 pm

Enough of the time issue, whats your latency going to be to a server based in EU? Or are they definate about them being all based in the usa?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 1/3/08 revised server list etc.   1/3/08 revised server list etc. Icon_minitimeFri Jan 04, 2008 5:54 pm

Latency really isn't any issue anymore with EU based servers. Played on several EU based servers in other games before, not too different.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 1/3/08 revised server list etc.   1/3/08 revised server list etc. Icon_minitimeFri Jan 04, 2008 7:42 pm

From the article;

Where are the servers located?
We have a data center in Seattle where all of our servers are currently located. We had originally planned on launching with our EU servers already located in Europe. Without going into details, we decided that it would be better for a smooth launch to start off with the servers here. While there have been a few performance related glitches, the lions share of our European beta testers have reported smooth performance ingame. We sit on several high speed backbones so that certainly helps!

Our plan is to build out a second data center shortly after launch and migrate the EU servers there. Our technical design makes that a VERY smooth process, and we will be able to do it with minimal downtime. I personally expect that we can migrate those servers during a normal patching downtime period.

Right now were leaning strongly towards locating the second data center in the Virginia area of the United States. We actually think that most of you in Europe will have better performance there than if we were to locate everything in Europe somewhere. The reasons for that are somewhat complicated, but weve found that as cross Atlantic bandwidth improves congestion related problems for traffic between the EU and the US have largely gone away. Connectivity across the Atlantic used to be atrociously oversubscribed and had many loss and latency problems but at this point business demands have resulted in backhaul that is for the most part loss free and limited by the speed of light as opposed to congestion induced latency or slow pipes.

I don't know how this will affect our choice, but we do need one soon!

Whiskey Pete
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 1/3/08 revised server list etc.   1/3/08 revised server list etc. Icon_minitimeFri Jan 04, 2008 7:48 pm

Olaf posted under the announcements thread that the server we will be on is Bonny.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 1/3/08 revised server list etc.   1/3/08 revised server list etc. Icon_minitimeFri Jan 04, 2008 8:49 pm

Not to be confuzzled with Bonnet ;P
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 1/3/08 revised server list etc.   1/3/08 revised server list etc. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

1/3/08 revised server list etc.
Page 1 of 1