HomePortalCalendarGalleryFAQSearchRegisterMemberlistUsergroupsLog in

Free time reading

Go down 
AuthorMessage

Free time reading Empty
PostSubject: Free time reading   Free time reading Icon_minitimeSun Apr 29, 2007 6:42 pm

I'm not a big reader, but I was in Barnes and Noble today and stumbled upon The Republic of Pirates and bought it.

It sounds like a history of the high seas from around 1715-1725 and so it grabbed my interest. Not sure how soon or when I'll get time to get around to it, but it looks decent. Anyone have any other suggestions on interesting books on the time period of the game?
Back to top Go down

Free time reading Empty
PostSubject: Re: Free time reading   Free time reading Icon_minitimeSun Apr 29, 2007 8:34 pm

If you like old material, you could always try Daniel Defoe's (of Robinson Crusoe fame) A General History of Pyrates. It's hugely fascinating, was written in 1724, and is all-around a fun book to tackle. Oh, and you can find it for free online, too.
Back to top Go down

Free time reading Empty
PostSubject: Re: Free time reading   Free time reading Icon_minitimeWed May 23, 2007 1:03 pm

Ok. So I finished up the book in the last week.

First off, I think Hamish did an excellent job picking out a historical event to wrap our guild around - something historical that adds a fun twist to RP opportunities for us. The guild setting really seems perfect from a historical standpoint in that it was a huge influence in those times within the Caribbean sea.

A lot of pirates were pro-Stuart and that was a focus of the book. So the book certainly ties in nicely with not only providing some background on pirates in general but how our guild members might have felt or might have been influenced in that time.

Overall, I enjoyed the book. It added insight and made me particularly excited about the format of our little, but growing, guild.

I'll post a bit more on my site tomorrow, but the main point for here is that it ties in nicely with our guild history and anyone interested, I think, would enjoy it if you like historical novels - like 1776.

PS: Don't have the book here, but they claim that novel to different writer out of England. It is common lore that it was DeFoe but they go through why they think recent evidence points to a different author.

PSS: The real story behind Robinson Crusoe is also covered in the text so once again. On point with the time and the guild discussions.
Back to top Go down
Hamish MacBane
Founder
Founder
Hamish MacBane

Number of posts : 456
Registration date : 2007-04-14

Character sheet
Locations:
Production:
Requirements:

Free time reading Empty
PostSubject: Re: Free time reading   Free time reading Icon_minitimeWed May 23, 2007 2:14 pm

That's neat to know. Might have to go read it. I contemplated trying to take the guild to the pirate side as it seemed to offer more freedom and the chance to perhaps throw up our colors for anyone except the English, but the pirates seem more glutted player wise than the English, so I steered it towards France. I remember we talked about Spain, but they seemed so foreign to me...I don't know why. France just felt better. Still it's nice to know that I inadverdantly hit upon a good theme for potential RP in the game. Gets me a bit more excited. Wish they'd tell us when it was coming out.

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://highlandconfederacy.forumotion.com

Free time reading Empty
PostSubject: Re: Free time reading   Free time reading Icon_minitimeThu May 24, 2007 8:36 am

Here is a link to my entry: Not much I didn't summarize here but here you go.

http://riversidemod.wordpress.com/2007/05/24/the-republic-of-pirates/
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Free time reading Empty
PostSubject: Re: Free time reading   Free time reading Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Free time reading
Page 1 of 1