HomePortalCalendarGalleryFAQSearchRegisterMemberlistUsergroupsLog in

fodder for a story line

Go down 
AuthorMessage

fodder for a story line Empty
PostSubject: fodder for a story line   fodder for a story line Icon_minitimeSat Jan 12, 2008 3:25 pm

My character is a minor aristocrat from a border estate that has been English as often as it has Scottish. The family considers themselves Scots, but the Highlanders would probably argue the point -- at best they are considered the lowest of Scots Lowlanders. Therefore it is possible that some Society members do not trust him, and in fact he has fairly high standing with the British trade union. (An in-game RP device I plan to acquire, if that is possible.)

Sorcha (who is playing Irish, I think) and I have collaborated in the past on RP stories, the best being The Witch and the Paladin (from WOW) which is preserved on this board:

http://www.guildportal.com/Guild.aspx?ForumID=805329&GuildID=5215&TabID=39833

The McGraw story on the same board is Sorcha's, and the McGraw of the story was played in game by our own L'Dave McGraw.

We would wecome the help of an officer to be suspicious of Bognor as a point of tension in the story.

(Note: I have not consulted with Sorcha on this at all but I assume she's willing to contribute. I did not even think she was going to play.)

Bog
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: fodder for a story line   fodder for a story line Icon_minitimeSat Jan 12, 2008 3:45 pm

If its paranoia you need...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: fodder for a story line   fodder for a story line Icon_minitimeSat Jan 12, 2008 3:56 pm

Wilhelm von Somborn wrote:

Ask a Hessian, really any will do! Rolling Eyes

Like the idear though Bog!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: fodder for a story line   fodder for a story line Icon_minitimeSat Jan 12, 2008 4:04 pm

Owl wrote:
Wilhelm von Somborn wrote:

Ask a Hessian, really any will do! Rolling Eyes

Like the idear though Bog!

Oh sure, remind me of our dear departed Jon. Sad
Back to top Go down
Deoiridh
Merchant Captain
Merchant Captain
Deoiridh

Number of posts : 669
Registration date : 2007-05-22

Character sheet
Locations: Belle Isle, New Orleans, Irish Point
Production: Shot, Cannons, Fittings, Powder, Unrest Supplies
Requirements: Saltpeter, Limestone, Doubloons

PostSubject: Re: fodder for a story line   fodder for a story line Icon_minitimeSat Jan 12, 2008 6:40 pm

Bognor, I really like this idea. Firstly, it gives you some interesting territory to explore in game. Secondly, I think it really opens up a host of interesting RP/gameplay options not just for you but for the society. I think a lot of us have been working our characters based on a few assumptions: a) a united loathing for Britain, b) a relatively homogenous scottish identity, and c) unity in our cause. This isn't in any way a criticism. As I've said elsewhere, the diversity of characters I'm seeing, and the creative ways they are being developed is inspiring. But your character's situation reminds us of a couple of things. Borders are things only drawn on maps, and historically there was a lot of interaction in the border areas between Scotland and England. And there was a lot of distrust from time to time between lowlanders and highlanders. And it's not like there wasn't some suspicion between the Irish, Welsh and Scots. . .

So I can see interesting RP possibilities down the track especially, when maybe the Confederacy doesn't find it so easy to maintain a unified front.

You might talk to Benoit and Jack about what they have planned with the thread concerning the burning of the Hornet. Some suspicion fell my way in the "Have a Pint with Me" thread, so maybe some could be directed your way as well. . .
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: fodder for a story line   fodder for a story line Icon_minitimeSat Jan 12, 2008 7:41 pm

Bogner,

I'm certainly open for some distrust in the situation as Deoiridh suggests. Benoit and I are on our way to his ship, the Sea Sprite, to interrogate a captive his men found in suspect circumstances. You could play the role of the suspect if you would like to.

One of the exciting things about rp interaction between several players for me is the exciting twists and turns taken by the participants as the dialogue develops. (D. certianly found herself in unexpected circumstances when Benoit suddenly suspects her for the fire.)

If you jump in with us, how do you want our suspicion to resolve? My two doubloons worth of suggestion is that after a sharp interrogation Benoit and I reluctantly accept your story (whatever it is) that it was 'coincidence' and that you were a mere innocent passer by in the wrong place at the wrong time and had nothing to do with the sinking of me ship. That would set in process the element of doubt with your character that we can continue with in game.

This is a great thread, d. Thanks for it.

Jack
Back to top Go down
Deoiridh
Merchant Captain
Merchant Captain
Deoiridh

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: fodder for a story line   fodder for a story line Icon_minitimeSat Jan 12, 2008 8:15 pm

Great suggestion, Jack. By the way, while we're commenting on the that "suspicion" thread, kudos to both you and Benoit for the way you developed the burning of the Hornet. I think it's a great example of how a good piece of RP can start to show up different aspects of the characters. Jack had this kind of bravado prior to this, and this allowed us to see how something affected him really deeply, but how he was thinking clearly under pressure (I liked the detail of having him organize to warp the ship out into the harbour to stop the fire from spreading). And when Benoit confronted me at gunpoint, it really showed a man driven to act against his better nature by the pressure of events, and then regretting it. All of it very human. Really enjoyed being part of that, and I can't wait to see what comes out of the destruction of the ship.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: fodder for a story line   fodder for a story line Icon_minitimeMon Jan 14, 2008 3:39 am

The one difficulty I have with serial stories is that my time is often limited for several days in a row. Tonight, for instance, we have some airline people coming in from Hong Kong and I will be going out to dinner with them after several hours of meeting. Since I have been away for the last week, I suspect a lot of stuff has piled up for me and the week ahead is going to be ugly. I'll be lucky to get a couple hours of play time each day, much less time for participation in a serial drama.

That being said, I will read through the piece again and see if I can interject my presence into the story.

Bog
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: fodder for a story line   fodder for a story line Icon_minitimeMon Jan 14, 2008 6:10 am

Since the jet lag is keeping me awake, and the servers are down, I went ahead and made a contribution to the story. The Society may feel free to apprehend Mr. Regis at their leisure. Smile

Bog
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: fodder for a story line   fodder for a story line Icon_minitimeMon Jan 14, 2008 7:26 am

Bognor wrote:
The one difficulty I have with serial stories is that my time is often limited for several days in a row. Bog

I have found that lag really doesn't interfere with the story here on the HC forum. We all have that same 'time' thing happening. If the serial goes without a response for several days because someone can't find the time to make the next contribution it is no big deal to me at any rate. Sometimes it takes several days for the 'muse' to provide my next contribution anyway. Cool

Thanks for your kind words, Deoiridh. I've really never had the opportunity to role play like we do here on the HC forums. It's a new experience for me. It is like years ago when I played in the Oregon Youth Philharmonic, the quality of the musicians around me lifted my own performance. I'm really pretty amazed by the twists this story is taking. We have Owl to thank for getting this thread started.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: fodder for a story line   fodder for a story line Icon_minitimeMon Jan 14, 2008 6:37 pm

Coming to this thread belatedly, but I'm in! Sorcha has a very limited and not very colorful past for the moment, as she's a completely new creation (where other previous characters I've created may have had some previous life in a different game and been morphed to fit the current, that didn't prove to be the case with Sorcha) I have much to learn about what makes her tick. So far, she's awfully friendly! And she has an immediate affinity for her fellow Irish, immediately feeling familial-type affection for those she meets in the Society, and she'll treat them like she's known them all her life even at first meeting (which I think has confuzzled Seamus, heh).

In terms of her dealings, I think she's fairly honest, maybe to a fault. Dunno for sure yet, she may have a dark side that emerges. In terms of history with Bognor (and I haven't read the other thread referenced here, so maybe already this idea won't work) but maybe he's had past dealings with my husband's business, before said husband was lost at sea? Of course, we only had ransomed crew members telling us that was the case, mayhaps something else befell our beloved husbands (Ciara and myself).

Anyway, quick thoughts while I steal a minute away from work. Bottom line is I'm happy to add a brazen raven-haired somewhat vain girl's perspective to the mix! Smile
Back to top Go down
Deoiridh
Merchant Captain
Merchant Captain
Deoiridh

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: fodder for a story line   fodder for a story line Icon_minitimeMon Jan 14, 2008 7:12 pm

Just a quick note here. Bognor, if you are pressed for time, a) it's not usually a problem, as Jack said, but b) a really simple thing you can do is simply PM the other people who are active in the thread and say "Hey, I'd really like to jump in here, but I can't do it right at the moment, can you hold off on this for a spell?" Benoit and I were doing something similar just prior to the launch, letting one another know what we were intending, in broad terms, to do with the next contribution. After all, we all have other things we could be doing than writing. . . Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: fodder for a story line   fodder for a story line Icon_minitimeMon Jan 14, 2008 7:14 pm

Deoiridh wrote:

---snip

After all, we all have other things we could be doing than writing. . . Very Happy

But few of them more fun! Especially at my age...

Bog
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: fodder for a story line   fodder for a story line Icon_minitimeMon Jan 14, 2008 7:17 pm

Oh yeah; in the imortal words of one of my best friends: "It's -on like Donkey kong."

Benoit makes a living off of not only being suspecious but acting on those suspecions... and you've just opened the flood gates.

School, work, family, workouts, and game time may take precidence on any given day but, I will try to set aside time, sooner rather than later, to compose a letter to an old friend in le'Regents office to see what we can find out about our 'friend' here.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: fodder for a story line   fodder for a story line Icon_minitimeTue Jan 15, 2008 12:48 pm

I finally tracked down the web of interlinked threads and I realize that the Deoirith story is essentially the same story I was working on. That one's been told, so I'll think of another angle. It looks like Jack is fairly busy this week, so that gives me some time to compose another plot.

The essentials:

Jack has run into Bognor in competing for a olive oil bid in Syracuse in the summer of 1718. Jack lost the bid to Bognor, but won four others on which they had been competing.

Jack and Bognor have never met, though they have been in the same (crowded) room a couple of times. Bognor can recognize Jack on sight, but has no idea if Jack even remembers him, and if he does, is entirely unsure of Jack's reaction to the trade that Bognor won from him.

Bognor has heard rumors of a Scottish society in the West Indies, and longs to be part of it, but fears that his background will make him at the very best a second class associate of the society. He assumes that McBain is part of the society and hopes that their previous brief acquaintance will help him become established in the society.

(Apologies to Sorcha -- I did not read your bio carefully enough and have implied some sort of limited romantic liaison in the summer of 1718 between Bognor and Sorcha. As near as I can tell Sorcha was married at the time. That is not the story I meant to tell.)

Bog
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: fodder for a story line   fodder for a story line Icon_minitimeTue Jan 15, 2008 1:49 pm

Thanks for the summary, Bog...when I'm done testing and back involved I will certainly pick up on those threads. (Although, I'm still visiting the forums regularly and can contribute anytime here... more on that below.

Your reference to "the web of interlinked threads" is well taken. I've been trying to think of a way to frame particular aspect of this thread we are all working on. I'm afraid all this jumping around was of my own doing.

I was, in fact, about to write something about it. I'm pretty much learning as I go and I may have complicated it all this unnecessary thread jump as I learn.

What do you all think if I do some editing and get the thread all in one place? Since I'm the one that made it more complex than it needs to be I'll be happy to try and undo the confusion.

On a related note, Jack has just left the Albatross with Benoit. They are walking toward the wharf and I'm waiting on Ben to jump back into the conversation.
Back to top Go down
Deoiridh
Merchant Captain
Merchant Captain
Deoiridh

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: fodder for a story line   fodder for a story line Icon_minitimeThu Jan 17, 2008 10:59 am

Jack, I have no objection to you giving this a go, if others don't. I think it would be interesting to see a) if it could be done, and b) what it would look like.

One of the things I've liked about the RP on these boards is the way the threads interweave, and you get pickups and echoes across different stories. However I think that you are right; there may come a time where we have a story that is particularly important for some reason (and the burning of a Confederacy ship at the wharf is obviously an event of singular importance) and we may have to reorganize that in an accessible form to allow new people a way in.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: fodder for a story line   fodder for a story line Icon_minitimeThu Jan 17, 2008 11:14 am

Go for it Jack, but I'd be ok with just keeping it in one thread from now on and leaving the past cross thread action just the way it is; I feel the same as D in that regard.

I've made another WAAAAAy too long of a post in the thread so feel free to take your time and move it along as you see fit, I'm sort of just going with the flow at this point.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: fodder for a story line   fodder for a story line Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

fodder for a story line
Page 1 of 1