HomePortalCalendarGalleryFAQSearchRegisterMemberlistUsergroupsLog in

Oya Ashe

Go down 
AuthorMessage

Oya Ashe Empty
PostSubject: Oya Ashe   Oya Ashe Icon_minitimeThu Jan 24, 2008 2:06 pm

The Haitian freewoman in the corner of the Albatross has murder in her eye, swathed in bright silks, and a neck-piece of cowries cascading down over her less than pristine linen blouse. Her dress is more what one might expect of a pirate than a French privateer, but she made a rather dramatic arrival in the harbor in a sleek craft bristling with scum and sporting a French standard.

The drama came with her flogging of her second mate in public on the plaza. In the scraps of thick Haitian creole that came through the hellcat's furious growl in her work, one might expect that there was some insubordination involved.

The place is buzzing like bees with rumor. She's a witch. She's a voudoun priestess. She has ripped a man's throat out with her teeth, as barely a child, when he tried to take advantage of her. She can call the wind and calm a storm. She was born in a hurricane.

She certainly carries the storm with her.

=====================

Oya is LaRouge's privateer alt. Wilhelm will be adding her to the alts group.

Oya, in lore, is the west African orisha (goddess, more or less) of air, chaos, and storm. She is the entity I suspect that the X-Men's "Storm" character was based upon. She's the guardian of the graveyard and the spirits of the dead also. I'm stretching things here because she's syncretized, modern day, to another orisha in authentic Haitian voudoun, but the other Orisha is male, and I wanted Oya to be female

Ashe (pronounced ah-shay, and generally spelled with an acute on the 'e') means "to the power" or "hail" in voudoun, and is used as a cognate to "hail," "amen," or "praise be!"

To say the least, she's a little darker than LaRouge. Just to reassure, LaRouge is much more like me in real life...Smile

Oya Ashe/Shava
Back to top Go down

Oya Ashe Empty
PostSubject: Re: Oya Ashe   Oya Ashe Icon_minitimeThu Jan 24, 2008 2:16 pm

Seamus Murphy, skipper of The Osprey sat in the tavern with some charts spread in front of him.

"I bet a voodoo preist would come in handy," he thought. "We could do all manner of nastiness to The Consortium. And I tink voodoo folks are a flavor of catholic. Have to ask the Bishop about that."
Back to top Go down

Oya Ashe
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Archives :: The Old Recruitment Office-
Jump to: