HomePortalCalendarGalleryFAQSearchRegisterMemberlistUsergroupsLog in

Micheal Caomhanach AKA "Michael Kavanagh"

Go down 
AuthorMessage

Micheal Caomhanach AKA "Michael Kavanagh" Empty
PostSubject: Micheal Caomhanach AKA "Michael Kavanagh"   Micheal Caomhanach AKA "Michael Kavanagh" Icon_minitimeMon Jan 28, 2008 6:50 pm

A drunken wild haired chap staggers into the tavern with a Rum bottle in one hand and a crumpled parchment in the other. He puts the wadded parchment on the table and commands it to "Stay". The parchment resists by gradually expanding trying to resume a less tightly crumpled state. This of course worries the drunk, who slaps at the parchment a couple of times invoking the Lord, Saints, and Apostles to bid this paper to be still, much to the chagrin of any clergy present...

He composes himself and looks to you. With an astonishingly clear voice and dark set about him, as fires of hatred start to stoke behind his eyes, he speaks.

"Dia duit, is mise Micheal Caomhanach.

I bend my knee to no one.
My lands bear the Curse of Cromwell.
My people died by sword or hempen fever.

Few of us left Wexford alive.
Fewer still remember Limerick.
Fewest of all flew amongst wild geese as far as here.

I have been called a Papist, a Heretic, a Jacobite, and worse.
I have been called a Pirate, a Pauper, a Poet, a Prince,
I am a son of Ireland, a Catholic, a Commander, a Privateer!

Caomhanach abu!"

Seeing the mixed reactions of the few that understand Irish Gaelic and the majority that don't, he reaches for the parchment and smooths it out carefully. It appears to be a crude local map of Grenville. He marks the berth of the Xebec "Morrigan", and then hastily scrawls his signature with a piece of charcoal

Michael Kavanagh
Distiller of Fine Spirits

He takes a long deep pull from the bottle and wipes his mouth on his jacket sleeve. "Here, have a snort o' this," he says, proffering the bottle . "Its me best batch yet!"

Out of Character Section

Player Description: Call me Mike Smile

Official Forum Name: Yarrrdarrrm
Profession: Irish Privateer under French letter of Marque. Fully operational Rum operation based in Grenville (32 units per day capacity)

What is RP to you? To simplify it, its "Lets Pretend" except grown ups get to do it too. A catharsis? An expression of some inner "what if?" Or just a laugh?

Why would you like to join the Highland Confederacy?
People need people, and a bunch of really pissed off varieties of Celts fit my characters backstory, which I had established before I discovered THC moved to Bonny post beta.

Besides, seems Mike got himself in trouble with the local Teutonic Talent already affraid

See you in game and thanks for the consideration.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Micheal Caomhanach AKA "Michael Kavanagh"   Micheal Caomhanach AKA "Michael Kavanagh" Icon_minitimeMon Jan 28, 2008 7:59 pm

Wilhelm looks at the raving drunk in bemusement before whispering, "Jack, I'm going to leave this one to you. I'm afraid he might mistake me for a Hanover," before he slips back to a corner to watch the madman from a safe distance.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Micheal Caomhanach AKA "Michael Kavanagh"   Micheal Caomhanach AKA "Michael Kavanagh" Icon_minitimeTue Jan 29, 2008 6:09 am

Whiskey raises his mug to Mr Kavanagh and says 'sláinte duine a ól' and death to all the Cromwellian bastages! Sorry, your speech got me worked up. Cromwell might be gone, but I suffer his curse too! As the son of Barbados sugar slaves, I share your disdain. Welcome to the Confederacy, you will fine a helpful lot here, so do not be hesitant to ask for anything you need. Welcome to the fight sir.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Micheal Caomhanach AKA "Michael Kavanagh"   Micheal Caomhanach AKA "Michael Kavanagh" Icon_minitimeTue Jan 29, 2008 1:31 pm

Jack watched quietly from his usual corner table as the slow fuse burned next to him and Wilhelm. There was a great deal of sadness and empathy for the drunken chap. It was a while since McBain heard the voice of ancient Ireland’s, so foreign yet familiar to his own auld Scottish tongue. He felt more than sorry for the gent. He felt the kinship of a shared national disaster. The Celts of both Ireland and Scotland had suffered greatly under the religious intolerance called the Curse of Cromwell.

“Aye, Herr von Somborn, he’d probably not recognize a Patriot of James who speaks with a German accent. No sense giving him more to think about in his present state.” Jack rose from his chair as he added, “I’ll let him know he’s in good company”.

As he moved the short distance between them he saw his friend Whiskey Pete raise his glass to the newcomer and give him welcome. He sat down, “Aye, sir, Let me echo me friends words, Welcome to ye, welcome to the Burning Sea. Ye may not know it just yet sir, but ye’ve found safe harbor in ta middle of a confederacy of men and women who have felt the pain of Cromwell and more. And we intend to return double to the English in any way we can.”

Glancing over at Whiskey, Jack made clear Pete was welcomed to join them.....

((Good to have you Mike! Michael Kavanagh has spoken for all our discontent, heartache and rage! The Highland Confederacy is proud to add ye as recruit. If Wilhelm has not already done so, I will add the name of Michael Kavanagh to the roster. Make yourself at home. Peruse the forums; contribute where you feel drawn.

In game any of our members will answer questions and offer help but you’re particularly welcomed to give a tell to Henk Owl (a rascal of a Dutchman), Benoit Bontecou the Frenchman, Scotsman Argyll Campbell, William MacNeil and myself, and of course your fellow Irishman, Whisky Pete, who has already given his welcome to you here. There be several other Irishmen within our ranks but I’ll leave the privilege of those introductions to them. We be HC’s official welcoming committee and will answer any question or offer any assistance you might require.))
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Micheal Caomhanach AKA "Michael Kavanagh"   Micheal Caomhanach AKA "Michael Kavanagh" Icon_minitimeTue Jan 29, 2008 3:01 pm

Mike looked up from his mug, smiling. The rum having doused the fires in his eyes, carefully regarding the welcoming faces around him, he straddles a seat.

"If ye intend to add interest to the English investment o blood, powder, n steel, I got me own flotilla to add into the bargain for delivery thereof. As soon as me jack 'n th' dust is done movin provisions, I'll be goin out to pay out some of that investment meself."

Michael hoists his mug. "Here's to debt and those who know its sting, matched only by the joy of repayment! Slainte!"
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Micheal Caomhanach AKA "Michael Kavanagh"   Micheal Caomhanach AKA "Michael Kavanagh" Icon_minitimeTue Jan 29, 2008 3:46 pm

((Time to flesh out the OOC bits:
I have been following PotBS since its announcement way back when. I didn't get into closed beta I think since the specs they were looking for did not match the "Frankenputer" I was running at the time. That problem has been corrected (hooray Xmas sales!) I did play in Beta on Blackbeard to test the waters (sorry Henk, I distinctly remember shooting at you around Belize) and I am very hopeful and optomistic for the game, the style of play it promotes, and the community it is trying to foster. So unlike any other MMOs I have played (which are legion) THIS is one I plan to stay with til the servers go down.

I loved Sea Dogs, the Pirates! series, and the Patrician games. Wooden ships and Iron men and all that rot.

About me:
My name is in fact Michael Kavanagh, and although the character is fictional, the events are quite real in my Clan history. Now as a modern 21st century man, I bear no ill will against the English. In fact, I rather am fond of the Blokes, being that they gave birth to the country I live in today, and even the English would agree today that Cromwell was a prick. But at that time, when 90% of my Clan was exterminated, the wounds that drive the character would be fresh and festering. So the subtext of my character comes from a real place. So this character is an avatar character, a "what if" of had I been around for that debacle, how would I feel, what would I try to do.

I have been playing RPGs since 1978. You name it, I have probably played it tabletop, and chances are still have the books. My transition to MMOs came with EQ1 and I have been an avid hobbyist in the MMO genre since. Playing a game in real time with or against live people from all over the world is a marvel I do not want to miss, and its cheaper per month than going to the movies. I find it a preferable active entertainment where I influence my own story, instead of passive entertainment like TV or Movies where the story is being told to me.

Before this, my primary MMO obsession was DAoC as a Hibernian on Nimue since the server launched (I thought I smelled an alb and a middie around here somewhere, STAY THE HELL OUT OF EMAIN!) My characters there were Ernathe Saltuarius, Ranger (back before they were GODS) and Mauer Aus Pilzen, Animist (2nd 50 Ani on Nimue after Myko, he beat me by 3 kills) and both were Retribution. Yes I know how to PvP, and I don't cry while doing it, win or lose. And to those who wonder, yes, Jander was a prick :p but he was OUR prick Smile And Syphy NEVER radared. I know, I saw his rig. He was just that damned good and had good lagdar. I left Nimue shortly after Trials of Agony went live, disgusted with the game. I returned to the Classic Servers when they launched but the "salad days" were gone. I knew they games days were numbered and around that time PotBS was announced... and here I am.

I love the age of sail for its history, its tradition. I am a veteran of the US Coast Guard, and am fascinated with when scurvy killed more men than action. I tend to approach PvP games with a martial mindset, and have found to my delight that despite its abstractions, most Naval tactics do in fact work well in PotBS, the only one not working is stealing the wind out fo the enemys sail by pulling up on the windward side. But lines of ships, crossing Ts, etc all work rather well indeed, and I look forward to fighting with friends.

I chose a privateer for launch, even though I was a FT in open beta. Although I do miss some of the ships and the "world view" of the market, I get more kicks out of making things go boom, and love the speed and handling of Privateers. They require a lot more maneuvering than NO ships in order to shine.

Caomhanach abu!
Mike))
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Micheal Caomhanach AKA "Michael Kavanagh"   Micheal Caomhanach AKA "Michael Kavanagh" Icon_minitimeTue Jan 29, 2008 4:34 pm

Michael Kavanagh wrote:
...the only [naval tactic] not working is stealing the wind out fo the enemys sail by pulling up on the windward side. But lines of ships, crossing Ts, etc all work rather well indeed, and I look forward to fighting with friends.

I quite agree with your assessment of naval tactics on the Burning Sea. At regular intervals I post my concerns on the potbs forums regarding ships making way directly into the wind and the inability for the windward vessel to steal wind from the leeward vessel. Perhaps in time potbs will bring those elements into better accuracy.

Once again let me welcome you into HC!

Jack
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Micheal Caomhanach AKA "Michael Kavanagh"   Micheal Caomhanach AKA "Michael Kavanagh" Icon_minitimeWed Jan 30, 2008 2:07 pm

Michael Kavanagh wrote:
sorry Henk, I distinctly remember shooting at you around Belize

Ah well i can't say for sure but if ye have such a vast memory 'o events now long in the past there must be
some truth to that! Suspect

Do not worry though for those that know me know me as a somewhat gentle man and i hold no grudges
to any that sail under a similar flag! Besides i am not missin' any limbs 'o interest so i dare say, sir ye are a loosy shot! Wink

Still a warm welcome to ye hope to sail with you someday and have a few drinks at some point, we can even recall tales
'o the past if ye like!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Micheal Caomhanach AKA "Michael Kavanagh"   Micheal Caomhanach AKA "Michael Kavanagh" Icon_minitimeWed Jan 30, 2008 2:44 pm

Owl wrote:
sir ye are a loosy shot! Wink
Razz
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Micheal Caomhanach AKA "Michael Kavanagh"   Micheal Caomhanach AKA "Michael Kavanagh" Icon_minitimeWed Jan 30, 2008 3:36 pm

Edeor MacGregor, Phoenix Knight Armsman, Legendary Armorer and Guildmaster of the Royal Order of Knights, Albion, Nimue.

I quit after ToA came out, as I don't much like group PvE -- though PotBS is very palatable in that regard. I remember Retribution well. Usually saw them best from flat on my back.

Edeor only fought Hibernians when he had to. He loathed the Norse, and fought them at every opportunity. He did, however participate in Albion's first relic attempt on Hibernia at lvl 27. Though we failed, the event is memorable.

The best, though, was when we (The Royal Order) took and claimed Bledmeer Faste on Memorial Day Saturday morning, 2003. We held it until Monday afternoon, fighting off all attempts to retake.

Bog
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Micheal Caomhanach AKA "Michael Kavanagh"   Micheal Caomhanach AKA "Michael Kavanagh" Icon_minitimeMon Mar 16, 2009 11:54 am

Amended:

Chaplain Michael, FT
Micheal had gone on an examination of conscience and was found wanting. He sailed north into Quebec to attend a Jesuit Seminary, and has returned as a Priest serving as a chaplain ministering to French merchant vessels.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Micheal Caomhanach AKA "Michael Kavanagh"   Micheal Caomhanach AKA "Michael Kavanagh" Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Micheal Caomhanach AKA "Michael Kavanagh"
Page 1 of 1