Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Chantilly Angevin and the Hemp Canvas

Go down 
AuthorMessage

Chantilly Angevin and the Hemp Canvas Empty
PostSubject: Chantilly Angevin and the Hemp Canvas   Chantilly Angevin and the Hemp Canvas Icon_minitimeThu Feb 07, 2008 8:13 am

January 4, 1720 - Pirate hideout near New Orleans

Célestine cursed loudly as her pen slipped, making yet another blemish on the messy page of her journal. There were many things that she had mastered over the past month on Captain Redcross' ship, but keeping a steady pen-stroke on rough seas was not one of them. At the moment, she would have traded any number of her lessons on swordplay for calm waters, but the wind would not have it her way.

Sighing, she hurriedly scribbled a short ending to her journal entry and began to read over it a final time:

Lately I find myself missing Marseilles more than usual. We came across the wreckage of a Atlas Bark near Biloxi earlier this week, and in it we found several crates of imported wines that were in excellent condition. Captain is keeping most for himself and for trade, but he was in a surprisingly pleasant mood and passed along enough bottles to the crew for everyone to have a small drink. The last time I had wine, it was with Armand, one of those many nights that I smuggled myself out of the convent. It was the same night that he told me that he was coming to these God-forsaken seas; the last time we held each other as lovers.

I will hold on to that memory for as long as I breathe. Perhaps Armand was not a good man - I did know him to be dishonest, attached to money and power at the hip - but love is blind to such things. That wondeful feeling is one I will likely never savor again, seeing as the men on this ship lack any amount of tenderness and gentility.

To be truthful, the same affliction strikes pirate and national alike, as any port we visit seems to be full of men, being so caught up in their business and plunder, who seek only an easy wench to leave at morning's light. The only one I have met who seems to have any discernment at all is the Captain himself, who has sought me since I agreed to sail with him, but he is far too brutal and moody for my tastes. Still, his favor allows me small boons, like the privacy and time to write in this journal, while his rank and file crewman are treated worse than the animals. I do not know how long he will tolerate my rebuff, however, and I may yet find myself among said ranks.

Still, for a criminal, I suppose I cannot complain. God may have damned me to this place, in which I will never again find true companionship or happiness, but it is a punishment that I brought upon myself. I am still alive, thin but fed enough, and growing stronger and more capable by the day. And I must be thankful for that.

In the name of Our Father, who Strengthens and Preserves us.

Last edited by on Thu Feb 07, 2008 8:23 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Chantilly Angevin and the Hemp Canvas   Chantilly Angevin and the Hemp Canvas Icon_minitimeThu Feb 07, 2008 8:18 am

No sooner had Célestine ceased writing, she heard a commotion outside of Captain Redcross' cabin. She made her way outside to find a circle of her fellow crewmates, alond with the Captain, with drawn cutlasses, threatening them at a bound man sitting on the deck. Her eyes focused on the prisoner, and she was shocked to see the man was wearing priest's vestments. His mouth moved methodically and rhythmically, speaking from memory. Célestine recognized them, as she was known to say them herself when the ship was in a rough firefight: Ave, Maria, grátia plena, Dóminus tecum. Benedícta tu in muliéribus, et benedíctus fructus ventris tui, Iesus. Sancta María, Mater Dei, ora pro nobis peccatóribus, nunc et in hora mortis nostræ. Amen.

She had been thinking the words in her mind, but her subconcious translated them to her mouth as well, so that at the end she was speaking them aloud in unison with the captured priest. This drew the attention of Captain Redcross, who grinned at her arrival. "Célestine, come meet Father Basset," Redcross beckoned her. "I thought th' crew might be in need o' a wee bit o' spiritual guidance, an' th' good Father agreed."

Célestine naively brightened a for a moment at the thought, but the reality of the poor man sitting bound on the deck and praying as though his life were over squashed any hopes that Captain Redcross was telling anything close to the truth. The Captain had always been most hostile to her religious rituals. One time, soon after she had first come aboard, the Captain had caught her praying and had smacked her, violently, and forbid that she do it on his ship. Since then she had become more careful to hide it, and her prayers had become more and more infrequent out of fear. She looked again at the priest, and again at Redcross, and back again at the priest. What was he playing at?

"What, no thank you?" Redcross laughed. "You don't want th' priest then? Guess I`ll be havin' t' throw th' man overboard.." He motioned to the crewmen, who reluctantly went for the helpless priest and slowly began to lift him to their shoulders.

"No! Please!" Célestine could not help but cry aloud.

The Captain smiled and held up his hand, halting the work of the crewman. "You want th' man to live, Célestine?" he asked, slyly, knowing the answer.

Célestine nodded desperately. "Please. I'll do anything," she begged.

"Then ye will share me bunk tonight," Redcross commanded. He turned to the crewmen, who looked mildly relieved to not have to kill the priest. "Take th' priest below deck, an' keep th' man bound. I won`t be havin' him runnin' about." Turning back to Célestine, he ordered, "Go t' me quarters an' stay there until sundown. Think beautiful thoughts, so ye be more beautiful when I arrive."
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Chantilly Angevin and the Hemp Canvas   Chantilly Angevin and the Hemp Canvas Icon_minitimeThu Feb 07, 2008 8:20 am

Two crewmen grabbed hold of Célestine. She struggled, thrashing about, but they tightened their grip and forced her back into the cabin. One of them whispered quietly as he left, "You had to know this was coming, miss. Did you think the Captain was going to take care of you for nothing? You have to pull your weight somehow."

Célestine did not respond. Her mind raced. She could not let him kill the priest - she had too much blood on her hands already - but she could not imagine letting that man touch her as was planning to do. She began to shake, shuddering at the mere thought. For the past few months, she had been as stoic as possible. The lifestyle here had required it, being harsh, physically demanding, and dangerous, and there had been no time to truly mourn for her situation. She had forced herself to think that things were acceptable, but this moment had finally jarred her, and the overdue tears came forcefully to her eyes. She cried for her father, lost at sea. She cried for her convent, which was no doubt struggling because of her thievery. She cried for Armand, whom she had killed in anger and passion. Finally, she cried for herself, and all that she had lost in this woe-begotten venture.

When there was nothing left in the world to cry for, she began to pray. She closed her eyes, and the words flowed through her. Ave, Maria, grátia plena, Dóminus tecum... When the sun set, the Captain arrived and growled to see her in prayer, but she did not cease nor open her eyes for a moment. Benedícta tu in muliéribus, et benedíctus fructus ventris tui, Iesus... He smacked her, threw her to the bed, but she would not stop even as he had his own way. She continued to pray, over and over again. Sancta María, Mater Dei, ora pro nobis peccatóribus, nunc et in hora mortis nostræ...

And when it was over, he tossed her naked body outside the cabin door, and left her there in disgust. The crewman who had whispered to her before came then, and wrapped a piece of spare canvas around her. He then carried her down below deck, gently laying her next to the prisoner priest. The stench of blood filled her nostrils, and as she finally ended her prayers and opened her eyes, she could see his slashed throat. He had been dead for hours.

Amen.

Last edited by Chantilly on Fri Mar 27, 2009 10:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Chantilly Angevin and the Hemp Canvas   Chantilly Angevin and the Hemp Canvas Icon_minitimeThu Feb 07, 2008 8:21 am

((Yeah, that was dark. Sorry. But I thought it pertinent, for RP purposes, to explain why Chantilly, who was/is a pirate, hates pirates so very, very much.

For those who aren't big dorks, the Latin prayer is the Hail Mary, which is: Hail Mary, full of grace, the Lord is with thee; blessed art thou among women, and blessed is the fruit of thy womb, Jesus. Holy Mary, Mother of God, pray for us sinners, now and at the hour of our death. Amen.

This is the last section in the "before you knew her" Chantilly Angevin series. After the events in this story, she is marooned on an island and left for dead, but is fortunate enough to be picked up by a passenger ship headed to Charlesfort. Once there, she changes her name, becomes a merchant, changes her appearance drastically (it was never mentioned, but she had beautiful long hair and wore extremely modest clothing before anyone from the HC knew her) and tries to make a new life for herself.

And now you know the whole story.))

Last edited by Chantilly on Fri Mar 27, 2009 10:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Chantilly Angevin and the Hemp Canvas   Chantilly Angevin and the Hemp Canvas Icon_minitimeThu Feb 07, 2008 8:49 am

Milady i must break my vow to thee for ne'er speakin' to ye no more, for once more you have brought tears
to these 'ol eyes!

OOC: On a serious sidenote know this to be true, i am someone who has always been very sensitive in many ways as is my character who is in fact me!

You have a way with words and a golden tonque no doubt for now i truly understand why you detest my ways and have always been reserved in our dealings together, finally i understand that your feelings as such were not addressed to me in person but have to do with your dreadfull ordeal which took place aboard that accursed ship! Do please believe me as i solemnly swear on the good Lord himself that i would never take advantage 'o anyone in any way and a man who commits such attrocities while servin' me will die by my sword or worse!

I am truly sorry as well as shocked that you whom i have always respected has had such a most trying life...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Chantilly Angevin and the Hemp Canvas   Chantilly Angevin and the Hemp Canvas Icon_minitimeThu Feb 07, 2008 9:39 am

((It'd be pretty difficult for most characters to hear about the events that happened in this and other threads, but those with a pirate background might be an exception. Many crew of Redcross' ship were likely killed during the blaze of the ship, but undoubtedly some escaped, and the story of Célestine the unlikely pirate is out there being told at some shady pub over some rum.

It would not take a genius to figure out that Célestine and Chantilly had a connection of some sort, after realizing that a nun is not likely to be adept at sailing and swordplay without some serious previous experience. The connecting link is knowing that Chantilly freely admits to being from Marseilles, just like the wanted poster for Célestine.

At some point I expect other people's characters to start confronting Chantilly about her past, so given several months and a rumor mill, this stuff might become common knowledge. ))
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Chantilly Angevin and the Hemp Canvas   Chantilly Angevin and the Hemp Canvas Icon_minitimeThu Feb 07, 2008 1:20 pm

Very nicely done, in all points! ((my wife has published 5 novels so I have some credibility as a reader and editor))

You have more diligence than I -- I am still working on Bognor's story and barely have set down any words at all. Unlike yours, Bognor's story is not nearly so tragic, though it has its moments. Edeor's story, on the other hand, is a series of one tragedy after another.

I hope that Bognor, Edeor and the rest of HC cross paths in interesting ways over the coming months!

Bog
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Chantilly Angevin and the Hemp Canvas   Chantilly Angevin and the Hemp Canvas Icon_minitimeMon Feb 11, 2008 1:32 am

This is a very interesting story, your backstory has me wanting to learn more. I enjoy our RP as well. Seraphie will try not to be too much of a *itch Razz
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Chantilly Angevin and the Hemp Canvas   Chantilly Angevin and the Hemp Canvas Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Chantilly Angevin and the Hemp Canvas
Page 1 of 1