Number of posts : 669
Registration date : 2007-05-22

Character sheet
Locations: Belle Isle, New Orleans, Irish Point
Production: Shot, Cannons, Fittings, Powder, Unrest Supplies
Requirements: Saltpeter, Limestone, Doubloons

Copper Penny Empty
PostSubject: Copper Penny   Copper Penny Icon_minitimeThu May 31, 2007 7:54 am

Does anyone mind if I repost Deoiridh's story so far to the Copper Penny? I'd like to add some more to her tale, but I wasn't sure if the Copper Penny is reserved for full members or not.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Copper Penny Empty
PostSubject: Re: Copper Penny   Copper Penny Icon_minitimeThu May 31, 2007 8:23 am

Please do.

I started the account on my site yesterday - basically a copy and paste of it with zero changes - just for PR and additional readers who are stopping by for LOTRO and other random musings.
Back to top Go down
Hamish MacBane
Founder
Founder
Hamish MacBane

Number of posts : 456
Registration date : 2007-04-14

Character sheet
Locations:
Production:
Requirements:

Copper Penny Empty
PostSubject: Re: Copper Penny   Copper Penny Icon_minitimeMon Jun 04, 2007 8:48 am

It would be great to repost this there. Could keep your running info there also.

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://highlandconfederacy.forumotion.com
Deoiridh
Merchant Captain
Merchant Captain
Deoiridh

Character sheet

Copper Penny Empty
PostSubject: Re: Copper Penny   Copper Penny Icon_minitimeSun Jun 17, 2007 7:08 pm

Sorry for not continuing the story, but my main computer has suffered a series of catastrophic failures (failing video card, which seems as if it may be due to the power supply crapping out, lost part of my RAM, and so on). I'm in the process of ordering the stuff to build myself a new one. So it's actually pretty lucky this game wasn't ready to go in June!
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Copper Penny Empty
PostSubject: Re: Copper Penny   Copper Penny Icon_minitimeMon Jun 18, 2007 3:47 am

Ouch! Can't blame you for that one then, can I?

I'm planning on building a new computer myself, come August. I guess you don't really have the luxury of waiting for the July 16th/22nd new processors and the subsequent price cuts, but if you could wait, it might be worth doing.

What are you looking to build? I was thinking of with the intel Q6600 quad core after its price drops to $266. Amusingly enough this means I end up entirely skipping dual core. And of course, I will be aiming for DX10 goodness with an Nvidia 8X00 video card (not sure which one yet). And now I feel all geeky so I'm going to stop. tongue
Back to top Go down

Copper Penny Empty
PostSubject: Re: Copper Penny   Copper Penny Icon_minitimeMon Jun 18, 2007 6:35 am

Yea that hurts. Sorry to hear that. I'd offer insight if I had any, but I really don't so I will keep quiet.
Back to top Go down
Deoiridh
Merchant Captain
Merchant Captain
Deoiridh

Character sheet

Copper Penny Empty
PostSubject: Re: Copper Penny   Copper Penny Icon_minitimeMon Jun 18, 2007 7:33 pm

I'm looking to build something relatively cheap at this point (since I'm not rolling in cash) but something I can progressively upgrade. It will still be several steps above what I'm running now, but won't be bleeding edge. I'm going dual core Athlon, probably something like the 3800 or 4200 (these CPUs are dirt cheap at the moment, less than $80, and they are still pretty fast (and there's a nice low wattage version of each). SLI, again, the video cards will be lower spec, but upgradeable later on. I'm putting the money into a good case, extra fans, and a quality power supply (and 2 gigs of RAM).

Going direct to quad core, huh? The multiple core revolution is really taking off. If it keeps on this way there are going to have to be some major case re-designs in the works!

Not tempted at all by Vista at this point. It looks pretty, but I can't see that it offers me much more than that (and speccing equipment for it is a nightmare; Microsoft still doesn't have a good certification program in place, so people are free to make pretty much any claim they like about their equipment being "Vista compatible" when they are no such thing). But, more importantly, there are a whole lot of games that it doesn't run or doesn't run well. A lot of gamers have upgraded (driven by that "gotta have the latest" BS) and are having a lot of problems).

So I'm waiting for the inevitable service pack. . .!
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Copper Penny Empty
PostSubject: Re: Copper Penny   Copper Penny Icon_minitimeTue Jun 19, 2007 3:47 am

Can't say that I blame you for not being too interested in Vista yet. I personally am not too worried about compatibility with older stuff since I'll still have my laptop and my XP box (which is a bit on in years now). Incidentally, I seem to recall service pack 1 being scheduled for somewhere around September.

What case are you planning on using, anyway? I've been debating what to use myself. The Antec P182 looks nice, but cases aren't my area of expertise. As for cooling, the Tuniq Tower 120 looks like I can get a decent overclock even on a quad core so I might just go with that.
Back to top Go down
Deoiridh
Merchant Captain
Merchant Captain
Deoiridh

Character sheet

Copper Penny Empty
PostSubject: Re: Copper Penny   Copper Penny Icon_minitimeTue Jun 19, 2007 6:25 pm

Good cases does seem to be one thing there isn't a lack of. Again, price is important for me so I'm going for this one from NZXT.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811146027

It's well reviewed, has two 120mm fans, and comes with room for a third at the front. As you can see, I'm tired of beige and black! But NZXT makes pretty good cases throughout its line. But Antec is also always a solid bet.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Copper Penny Empty
PostSubject: Re: Copper Penny   Copper Penny Icon_minitimeWed Jun 20, 2007 3:18 am

Now that case has some serious style.

On a side note, I just have to comment on the irony of a thread on roleplay turning into a tech geek discussion. Smile
Back to top Go down
Hamish MacBane
Founder
Founder
Hamish MacBane

Character sheet
Locations:
Production:
Requirements:

Copper Penny Empty
PostSubject: Re: Copper Penny   Copper Penny Icon_minitimeWed Jun 20, 2007 12:19 pm

THREAD GANKERS!!!!

Hehe. Just kidding. Sorry to hear about your PC. This site,

http://www.buyxg.com/

Has excellent stuff and great prices. My bro put a system together here and it cost him abou 1500 without OS and monitor. His system is nearly as top of the line as you can get save processor, which he got the one he did because it was made for overclocking, though he didn't. Would run pretty much anything. The cool think about this site is that you can pick and choose the parts you want, case, cooling system, etc. His system included water cooling which I recommend personally due to how much heat today's systems cause. I'm usually one to build my own system, but with time being a commodity, this site helps alot. Check them out.

Back to top Go down
Deoiridh
Merchant Captain
Merchant Captain
Deoiridh

Character sheet

Copper Penny Empty
PostSubject: Re: Copper Penny   Copper Penny Icon_minitimeWed Jun 20, 2007 6:16 pm

Hey, it's still roleplay! Now I'm just roleplaying someone who knows about computers. Which is actually more of a reach than playing an eighteenth-century scottish refugee.

Water-cooling is a little more than I'm ready for at this point! This system shouldn't start off being that hot, and it's going to have pretty good cooling, I think.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Copper Penny Empty
PostSubject: Re: Copper Penny   Copper Penny Icon_minitimeWed Jun 20, 2007 6:27 pm

I agree. Water cooling is just too much effort for me. I'd rather spend a few minutes cleaning out my fans every few months and not have as much overclock headroom. Regardless, cheap watercooling isn't much better than a good heatsink, and once you get into some of the more expensive water cooling, you could almost upgrade to the next best processor instead.
Back to top Go down
Hamish MacBane
Founder
Founder
Hamish MacBane

Character sheet
Locations:
Production:
Requirements:

Copper Penny Empty
PostSubject: Re: Copper Penny   Copper Penny Icon_minitimeWed Jun 20, 2007 9:13 pm

You don't have to go with water cooling. Smile That is one option. However it's not really a huge deal anymore. You can water cool parts of the whole. Processor, video, etc. Don't have to go the whole route. Though you'd be surprised how much heat you'll find these days with modern processors. However, take a look at the site, he did his system with watercooling and still only paid 1500. Honestly, processor isn't as important as other pieces. My little AMD 2800 is chugging along fine, adding vid, mem, etc has done more than any other componant. Not saying dual proc isn't nice, it is and in my case it'll help alot, but generally proc doesn't raise stats alot by itself. Quad as well, though it depends a lot on the software too for quads. Of course if you are going quad and high end vid, etc then you might want to rethink water cooling (Wilhelm that is), especially with SLI. Smile But again, it's an option. Prices are still good at the site. They go low end to high end gaming. Specs comparable to Alienware but without the crazy high prices. Smile

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Copper Penny Empty
PostSubject: Re: Copper Penny   Copper Penny Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Copper Penny
Page 1 of 1