HomePortalCalendarGalleryFAQSearchRegisterMemberlistUsergroupsLog in

Help for a new roleplayer

Go down 
AuthorMessage

Help for a new roleplayer Empty
PostSubject: Help for a new roleplayer   Help for a new roleplayer Icon_minitimeSun Feb 17, 2008 3:18 pm

Hello everyone,

I'm a new recruit to the HC and I'm also new to role playing. I'd been interested in RP for while, but this is the first game that I've taken the plunge on. I'm finding it a lot harder than I imagined it would be, and I was hoping that some of you might be able to offer some tips. I also had a few questions.

1) Which chat channels should be kept in character, and which are OK for OOC?

2) When is OOC considered appropriate, and is there a way to show that a message is OOC? (For instance I've seen double parentheses around messages that seemed OOC. Is that a standard?)

3) Is it OK to refer to missions by name in otherwise in character chat?

I'm sure I'll think of some others, but that's it for now.

I'm looking forward to meeting more of the society in game. If I seem to be "a man of few words" be patient we me. I'm still trying to get the hang of this. Embarassed

Thanks
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Help for a new roleplayer   Help for a new roleplayer Icon_minitimeSun Feb 17, 2008 4:36 pm

Allo!

First off, let me commend you for asking such questions - they show you are already on the right path towards being a fine role-player. Some quick responses to your question from my perspective. I have been role-playing for over twenty years, having ran my own pen and paper games, as well as been guild leader and what not in a variety of other MMOs over the years, so hopefully some of that experience can help you as you get your feet wet.

1) Which chat channels should be kept in character, and which are OK for OOC?

In general, I try to keep in character on all of the channels I am in. I forget often times when I am replying quickly, as do most people, but thats perfectly normal. That being said, there are a few channels I really try to stay in character on - those being primarily the Local and emote channel. These I perceive as what actually comes out of your characters mouth, and is perceivable as your characters actions. More abstract things like the Society channel or the Nation channel are hard to explain how they would work in 17th century terms anyways, so I tend to be more forgiving with myself if I slip in them.

2) When is OOC considered appropriate, and is
there a way to show that a message is OOC? (For instance I've seen
double parentheses around messages that seemed OOC. Is that a standard?)

For me, OOC is always appropriate unless you are in the midst of a lengthy, enjoyable role-playing dialogue or story with someone else. If we have been in a tavern, in character for a while, interacting as our 17th century alterante selves, it would be distressing to me to see the Naval Officer across from me say, "Oh boy, Seinfeld is on!". Talk about ruining my carefully crafted immersion, hehe. Am I going to get mad at them if they do? Absolutely not. This is just a game, but I would prefer to keep those to a seperate channel perahps.

It is standard practice amongst this Society to put OOC (Out Of Character) comments in double parenthesis. Some people use square brackets, etc, but you get the idea. This is a really nice way of doing it I think, because there is always going to be something you want to comment on thats not strictly in character, and this is an easy mechanism for doing so.

Another aside is that soemtimes I will write an emote like action my character may do to respond to a persons behavior or comments. When I do this I put astrixes around the word to signify it was an action (as emotes dont work on Nation and Society channels). It would look like this:

Madam Baudelaire: *smiles and waves*

Just a thing I do, but I thought it might help to see the range of possibilities out there.

3) Is it OK to refer to missions by name in otherwise in character chat?

Absolutely. In general, don't sweat stuff like this. We refer to missions by their name, we call ships by their name, we talk about upgrades and so on in a very loose RP manner. If I am sailing through the Open Sea and I see a fleet of enemies I tell everyone about them as quickly as possible, and I dont stop to agonize over the perfect RP manner to do so. There are times when communication is more important than role-playing it well (unless you are having a lot of fun playing a character whose communication style is purposefully obtuse, like a Russian with an indecypherable accent, etc etc).

Thank you much for the questions. I hope my rambling answers are useful as well. I look forward to seeing you online, and welcome you to explore the Copper Penny section of this board as well.

Your humble servant,

Signed,
~~M.Baudelaire
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Help for a new roleplayer   Help for a new roleplayer Icon_minitimeSun Feb 17, 2008 4:42 pm

Just wanted to thank the good madam for a reply far superior than anything I could have come up with. Pretty much hit the nail on the head on all counts to my thinking.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Help for a new roleplayer   Help for a new roleplayer Icon_minitimeSun Feb 17, 2008 4:54 pm

Wanted to echo most of Madam's sentiments, but to be specific, this is how I roll.

Almost Always IC: Local, Emote, Society
Sometimes IC: Tells, National
Usually OOC: Group, Trade/Conquest, Battle
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Help for a new roleplayer   Help for a new roleplayer Icon_minitimeSun Feb 17, 2008 8:18 pm

Thanks for the replies, especially you M. Baudelaire. I appreciate your taking the time to put together such a great, informative reply. That was very helpful. Very Happy
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Help for a new roleplayer   Help for a new roleplayer Icon_minitimeSun Feb 17, 2008 9:10 pm

My pleasure!

Im happy they were so well received. Smile Look forward to seeing you soon!

~~M.Baudelaire
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Help for a new roleplayer   Help for a new roleplayer Icon_minitimeSun Feb 17, 2008 11:42 pm

Chantilly wrote:
Wanted to echo most of Madam's sentiments, but to be specific, this is how I roll.

Almost Always IC: Local, Emote, Society
Sometimes IC: Tells, National
Usually OOC: Group, Trade/Conquest, Battle

I usually do the same. One thing to remember is that in towns everyone can hear your local chat and emotes. Sometimes it is better to just form a group and talk there. You can do emotes there just seperate them with hash marks. For example -smiles and waves politely at you-
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Help for a new roleplayer   Help for a new roleplayer Icon_minitimeMon Feb 18, 2008 9:18 am

Hard to improve on Madam's outline. In the past I've played guild channels in character, but it's very difficult to do so in a PvP game and one that also has a very complex economic model.

I try to be in character in Society, and when I go ooc try to remember the (()). Sometimes I go into "lecture mode" though, regarding some aspect of the game and go OOC for quite a while. Smile

I am always and invariably in character in Nation, Trade, Local and Area. I am never IC in /tell or Battle channels.

My pet peeves are any reference to popular culture or references to other games. Anywhere, in any channel. Personal stuff is fine with, as long as it is reserved for special occasions (marriages, births, deaths, new jobs, etc) or when someone is logging out (gotta go feed the kids, etc). But movies, current events, politics, etc really irritates me. I'm in the game to get away from that stuff, after all.

What I really enjoy though, is "hearing" an in-character artist at work. Madam B, Chantilly, Serafie, Argyll Campbell and Whiskey Pete come to mind, off hand, though we are blessed with many in the Society. Watching them "play" their character through words is a joy. (I like Marinus' Polish officer, as another example of a similar art.)

Bog
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Help for a new roleplayer   Help for a new roleplayer Icon_minitimeMon Feb 18, 2008 10:58 am

Good sir, I am not going to add to it, because there is nothing I can say. You have picked the right society I believe, for you will find help in all matters. We have some extremely gifted individuals and you can see some of their writings that demonstrate those abillities. Some of us are a little lacking, but we try and that is enough. No one will say ill word of you in anysense. ((I mean seriously, if you have seen Kevin Costner in Robin Hood, even he didn't know when to go with the accent or not!)) Ok, I will add one thing. Just remember that RP is a chance to let go and be someone else...have fun with it!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Help for a new roleplayer   Help for a new roleplayer Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Help for a new roleplayer
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Highland Confederacy RP Forums :: The Craft of Roleplay-
Jump to: