Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Returning to an earlier time in my life

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Namo Larkin
Proprietor-General
Proprietor-General
Namo Larkin

Number of posts : 355
Registration date : 2008-01-11

Character sheet
Locations: Cayo, Tampa
Production: LV, Teak, and Ships
Requirements: Hulls or Parts for Hulls

Returning to an earlier time in my life Empty
PostSubject: Returning to an earlier time in my life   Returning to an earlier time in my life Icon_minitimeFri Feb 22, 2008 3:58 am

I had just pulled into dock at Leogane. I had been sent there by Edmond Parisea to meet one Desiree Damesteuil. The mission seemed easy enough the only difficulty was the Merryman Pirates I ran into passing through the small opening to the port. As I headed up the dock to Desiree's office I spotted a couple of familiar faces. "Good Morning Captains" I said as I passed Emile deMontfort and Marie Honor. I know Marie had just setup her Shipyard here and was busy at the time so I hurried on my way.

After meeting with Desiree and the first of her contacts one Benjamin a gentleman whos intrest was for some goods he said he needed but my suspicion was he just wanted to find out how resoursefull I was. I booked a room in the local tavern for the night since it was late and the long voyage had made me drowsy. I awoke with a feeling of encloser so I headed to the window to get some air. I looked out and could tell by the stars that the night was still early and I needed to get some rest so I laid back down. It took me a while to fall asleep and the more I laid there thoughts returned to my home town of Marseille.

The earliest I could remember was as a boy about to reach 10 years of age. It was 1688 I had gone to my fathers shop by the Docks. I guess I was getting in his way so he told me to go outside but stay out of trouble. He was busy with another customer as usuall but I didn't mind it gave me a chance to meet up with my friends at the shipyard. Jaque was one I loved to go watch work. He was a carpenter and spent his days whittling out block mainly but from time to time he would find a small piece of wood and make some little animel out of it. I still have the whale figure he gave me back then and I carry it with me always. I also loved to here his stories about his journey's even the one that had cost him both of his leggs. I reached down and felt my own stump now and felt a kinship with old Jaque.

Then there was Sven he was a quiet man spent his day shaping the hulls of the large ships in the dock. He was quiet because he couldn't talk. Old Jaque disagreed and said "Just look at his ships boy. The man speeks volumns just not with words." I do know he always had time to stop and play a little catch with me from time to time. I didn't like the way he rubbed my head but after awhile it started to grow on me.

Lastly was Ralph he was only 13 but to me he seemed much older. He lead a group of homeless boys that spent thier day stealing from the visitors that came into port. I remember this day because while I was with Ralph I heard the call "Namo Francis Larkin" my dad yelled. I knew I was introuble whenever I heard the middle name. I hurried back to his shop and instincly put my hands over my bottom as I went inside cause I knew what was comming. (Wham) His hand struck me so hard I went right into the stack of boxes just inside the door. "How many times must I tell you to not hang out with the local riff raft!!!" my father continued. "We have a certain standing in this community and it doesn't speak well of our family if you continue to hang out with the lower class."

"I have some news for you young man. I have made arrangements for you to attend one of the finest schools in Paris. You leave tommorow and will be traveling with Amber Dupree the Majestraits daughter. It is high time you learn your station in life as well as to get to know your future wife. No child of Danniel Francis Larkin is going to turn out a lowlife." my father stated. I always knew it was real important to him when he refered to himself that way.

It wasn't until 1719 when I last saw my father that I felt he really cared about me. It was his last words to me altho I didn't know that at the time. "Remember son keep a low profile and avoid the British. Theres a price on you head now." How that came to be is another story but there is a whole life in between you should hear first.

Last edited by Namo Larkin on Tue Dec 30, 2008 1:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Namo Larkin
Proprietor-General
Proprietor-General
Namo Larkin

Character sheet

PostSubject: School Dazes Part 1   Returning to an earlier time in my life Icon_minitimeThu Mar 27, 2008 10:04 am

It had been about a week since I had completed the search and fetch mission I had been given by Benjamin . He had given me a name of the next contact I was to impress with my talents. His location was somewhere in the city of Tortuga. Upon arrival in the City, which I would have described as more a collection of shacks scattered around the caves, I got the services of a Pete Pegleggs. Pete had a small carriage he used to transport anyone that might not know there way around the City. I asked him what his fee for such a service would be and he said “2 db each way”. I reached into my pocket and pulled out 10 db and said. “For your services today, and 40 more if you keep a watch out for any British Privateers.” Then I added, “If business takes longer I will compensate you accordingly.”

I climbed into the carriage giving Pete the directions I had been given to the man I wished to see. He assured me he know of the location and to settle back as it was a long ride there. We proceeded through a series of what looked more like back allies than streets, but the longer we road I began to get the feeling all the passages were like this. My mind once more wandered back to my youth and my first long carriage ride.

It was late summer and I had been told it was time to head to Paris for school. My father had made arrangements with Anrae de Lafette, a local transporter to take me and Amber Dupree all the way there. Also going with us was Bridget Beouni, one of the local teachers to act as a chaperon for Amber. It just wouldn’t be proper for children to be traveling alone. We arrived at the Dupree residence and awaited for the ladies to come out. It was the first time I saw Amber and I would add at that time not that thrilled. I noticed her say something to Bridget but couldn’t hear what she had to say. Bridget came up to me sitting in the carriage and said, “Pardon me Messier, but would you mind letting Amber and I have the back seat? I am afraid to admit that traveling backwards makes me a bit ill.” I moved to the other half of the carriage sitting with my back toward the front, while the servants were loading the 4 large luggage on top. I still don’t know why women feel the need to carry as much as they do.

The first half of the trip was without much conversation as Bridget was reading one of her books, Amber and I spent our times watching the landscape go by. From time to time Amber would whisper something to Bridget who would answer her back but because of the noise outside I could never really make out what they were saying. “So Namo, if it is ok for me to call you that? Where are you going to be attending your schooling?” Bridget asked. My Reply “Jean Dupon’s is to be my instructor in Business While I attend school.”
I don’t recall much of the other details as the mind of a 10 year old wonders so much.

Not a whole lot I member that first year other than having to spend the weekends with Amber an Idea my father had for us to get to know each other. It wasn’t too bad after a while I found we both liked to stole through the market place but for different reasons. I liked to watch the merchants barter not only with the people buying their products but with each other as well. Where Amber seemed to be more interested in the sounds the barkers made I remember her saying how it was almost musical in nature. I am guessing that comes from the schooling she was getting at the institute for the performing arts. She even told me her father felt it would help her when dealing with gatherings and being civil with everyone even those you might not care for. I certainly hoped that wasn’t me at the time.
“Were here Captain Larkin.” Pete called out.

I got out of the carriage and greeted the man I was sent to meet. “Well Captain Larkin I won’t be sending you on any scavenger hunt like Benjamin did. I have more a need for a negotiator you might say. There is a gentleman I had dealings with that wasn’t too happy after the fact, but a deal is a deal I told him. Lately he keeps telling other how badly I screwed him in the deal. Well needless to say it isn’t helping my present dealings. I would like for you to go talk to the man can convince him in what ever manor you wish to desist with his comments.” I agreed with him and said I would talk to him but told him I really didn’t believe in violence as being an acceptable deterrent. “I don’t care as long as he stops talking is that clear?” he said.
“Certainly is clear to me anyway.” I said and once again got in Pete’s carriage. “To the tavern!”

((To be continued))

Last edited by Namo Larkin on Mon Dec 22, 2008 3:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Namo Larkin
Proprietor-General
Proprietor-General
Namo Larkin

Character sheet

PostSubject: School Dazes Part 2   Returning to an earlier time in my life Icon_minitimeTue Jun 17, 2008 12:24 pm

The carrage proceded down a winding reveine until it dissapeared inside a cave enterence. The surroundings were what looked like the inside of a volcano. You could still feel the heat coming from a few of the pits and there were a few enterprising arms makers using the natural furnce to forge there wares. Pete stoped the carrage in front of a staircase and turned to me, “It’s a lot closer for you to proced from here on foot. You really can’t miss it just follow the path ahead and listen for the noise that is sure to be coming from the tavern.”

I headed up the stairs and across the bridge to the opening it was connected. As I steped through I could see a couple of rows of buildings on either side of the cavern, I was still inside the mountain here. As I walked along I remembered of a time I was walking along one the streets in Paris. It was late and I was tring to find the home of a fellow student I had meet at school. We had hit it off almost from the start and he had invited me to come spend the night with him. The thought of spending a weekend with someone other than Amber was something I was looking forward to having. Not that there was anything wrong with Amber but I was only 12 at the time and well she was a girl. I turned around the corner and saw a group of boys in a circle. As I looked toward the group I heard my friends voice, “I don’t want any trouble just let me go.”

“I will half breed once you crawl over here and lick my boots.” I heard said from within the circle. I didn’t have to see who it was the voice was all too familer to me. As I pushed my way into the circle my eyes confirmed what my ears had heard, “Emile deMontfort” I said drawing the attention of the bully in the circle. “Must you always hunt your targets 6 on 1?” Emile was a couple of years younger than me but at least a head taller but one thing Ralph always told me, ‘When your taking on a pack of wolves your best bet for surviving is to figure out which one is the leader and take him out first. The rest will run.’ There was only one part of that I hadn’t yet mastered it was the part where I am supose to take out the leader. That was the first thing I remember after I came around and the only ones there was me and my friend. “Well we are both still alive my friend.” Emanual said when he saw I was coming around.

I spent the rest of the next week trying to avoid running into Emile but on Thursday was unable to keep it up. As I opened the door to the “Arena” there stood Emile and his 5 cohorts. “I heard you were looking for a rematch Namo.” Emile said. “You heard wrong. I don’t need you to show me I am no match for you and your friends.” I told him. "I don't need my friends for the likes of you but they like to watch." He said. Then out of the corner of my eye I say something fly by and land at Emile’s feet. I turned to see Emanual standing behind me. As Emile started to bend over to pick up the Glove a voice from behind come, “Mr deMontfort I would not advise accepting a challenge from someone you have never seen use a sword.” We all turned to see a man we had never seen in the school before. “Excuse me I have been traveling and have just arived. Let me introduce myself I am Pierre Renard your new Sword Instructer.”

There was a long pause then Emile scoped up the glove saying, “I have had dealing with Emanual before and would welcome the chance to teach him a leason.” “Well Mr deMontfort, If I were a betting man I would say the odds are good you will be learning the leason today. Standard rules of gentleman combat will apply challanger will get choice of weapons, and first one to 5 points with a lead of 2 will be declaired the winner. No fatal attacks are premitted remember this is a friendly contest. Agreed Mr. deMontfort? “ Emile nodded “and you Mr Renard?” “ of course Father.” Emanual said.
“Emanual is your Son?” Emile said “ Yes he is and I might add one of my more gifted students.” I won’t go into the point by point but needless to say it was Emile that left with his tail between his leggs as the score reached 5 – 0.

The next day I was told to go to the headmasters office. As I was about to enter I saw Emile coming out. “I’ll get even with you someday.” He wispered to me as he passed. Once inside the office I looked around and saw my Father, Mr Renard, and another man I didn’t know besides the Headmaster. “I think it is for the best, give the boys a chance to cool off.” I heard my Father say. “We can pick up Emanual this evening if you think that is enough time to get ready for the voyage Mr. Renard?” “I am sure I can have him ready but I still don’t think running from problems has ever solved anything.” Mr. Renard stated. “Then it is all settled, Emile will finish the term and I will see that he is entered into the Naval Academy as planed for next year.” The other man said. My Father grasped my arm with some force and said, “Come on I think you’ve embaresed me enough for one day. We need to get you and Emanual packed, your coming with me to Spain. I have some business there and it will give Emanual a chance to see his Grandmother. You really need to learn to get along with our future Naval Officers I am certain Emile will one day command a large fleet. Having a good relatitionship with him could be the difference in getting a shipment of supplies into port. “

To be continued

Last edited by Namo Larkin on Tue Dec 30, 2008 1:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Namo Larkin
Proprietor-General
Proprietor-General
Namo Larkin

Character sheet

PostSubject: At Last   Returning to an earlier time in my life Icon_minitimeTue Dec 23, 2008 9:17 am

As I looked ahead I saw the hanging sign that looked like a large mug with the words the Empty Giblet above and below the mug. I could hear the occasional lafter comming from inside and proceded toward the door. Before I could reach it suddenly it sprang open and a gentleman came flying out with the assistance of a pair of more unsavery men. "And don't bother comming back Mr Fancy Pants if you know whats good for you." one of them said just before they went back inside. I reached out and helped the man to his feet along with dusting off some of the dirt he had on his coat. "Unless you have a death wish I wouldn't go in there alone if I were you." he said as he hurried off from there, but I had made a bargin and my word had been given so I headed inside.

The bar went silent as I stepped into the room. I headed over to the bar tender and asked, "Is there a Joseph Smith here I would like a word with him." "Well mister I don't make it a habit of giving out information to total strangers, and neither does most of the clientale. They kind of like that." The bartender stated. "Now what will you have?" "Well if you have any fine wine I would be interested in a glass." I said. I could hear the snickers from elsewhere around the room and begain to get the feeling I had just ordered the wrong thing. "Well looks like we have another dandy boys." I heard then the movement of a couple of chairs. From over head came another voice "Well comrades before you start something you might regrate let me introduce you. This here is a very good friend of mine. Barkeep fetch a bottle of some of that stash I gave you last night along with a couple of glasses and give them to Captain Larkin here." The voice sounded very familier as I turned and looked at the man leaning over the railing from above. "Hows it going Barnical?" "Ralph it has been a while." I said and heard a few snickers when I said Ralph. "Never you mind them just get the bottle and come up here we have alot to catch up on. I will get back to the few that can't control themselfs later. Mr. Smith will be happy to wait on you, right barkeep? Let him know Captain Larkin will need to see him when we get done." "Yes Captain LaFoot I will let him know right away." The bartender said as he handed me the bottle and glasses. I allmost didn't have time to get a grip on them as he turned to hurry out the back door.

I got to the top of the stairs and sat at the table with Ralph and proceded to pour the wine into the glasses. "Sorry to hear about your father Barnical. He was a good man." Ralph said. "You wouldn't say that if you had heard what he thought of you." I told him. "You were the rifraf of the docs. Someone I wasn't supose to be around. Your kind would only get me in trouble. That is what he told me over and over." I continued.

"Well sounds like he had me pegged alright. I can't deny that any of that isn't true. It is one of the reasons I liked dealing with him. He would never lie to you and delt fairly in all matters. But if you think for one moment he didn't care what happend to you your very wrong Barnical." Ralph said. "How would you know Ralph. You didn't have to live with his rules." I told him. "And that is where your wrong Barnical. Rules and requirements are all very much a part of a contract. Even if it wasn't down on paper. If you expected to recieve compensation to agreed upon terms you had to live up to your side of things." He said. "Frankly Ralph I don't have a clue as to what your babbleing about. It sounds like you had a business arangement with my father? " I questioned. "Aye I did. A very finacally profitable one for me I would say. It started out as a simple stay out of his ships and warehouse to making sure you didn't get into any trouble."

I sat there not certain of what to say. "So your telling me my father paid you to like me?" I asked. "Don't be stupid Barnical. He paid me to protect you and keep you out of trouble. Calling you my friend you will have to blame on yourself. It's one thing to do a job your paid to do but when you figure out you really like the job it makes it alot easier to do." He said with a wink. He then picked up the glass and said "To your father. A Fair Business partner and good man, And the best Father I wish I had had when I was growing up."

We must have continued to talk for 4 hours I don't recall. Mostly about stories of when we were kids and did foolish things. I still couldn't belive the reason me and Manny came out of our little deallings with Emile was due to Ralph and his gangs timely arival. I vaguly recall the rest of the night and my talk with Joseph Smith. I seem to recall reaching some conclusion but can't recall the details. When I awoke the next day it was almost noon. I checked out of the Inn not even remembering how I got there and was given a note. It read, "Only last job in remeberace of your father but mosly to show my friendship with you. Ralph." He didn't go into any details and I am not sure what job he was refering to, but when I meet with the represenitive I got some idea.

"Well Captain Larkin I must say you have a very conclusive way of seeing to it your agreements are meet. If you had told me you knew Captain LaFoot in the first place we could have skipped the whole test." The man said. "What are you talking about man. Why would I need to tell you about Captain LaFoot I mean sure I knew him when we were young but what has that got to do with now?" I asked. "Oh kay I got you. You don't have to worry about me. If anyone askes me you never mentioned LaFoot, in fact I have never heard of Captain LaFoot." He said with a wink. "Here is your next contact Captain Larkin. You'll find him over at Porte de Pair just across the chanel. I have already sent word your comming. It shouldn't be more than a formality." He said.

I was on my way to meet the man when the storm picked up. It was only across the channel but with the winds and rocks about the trip was a bit stressing.

((more to come as I get to it))
Back to top Go down
Namo Larkin
Proprietor-General
Proprietor-General
Namo Larkin

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Returning to an earlier time in my life   Returning to an earlier time in my life Icon_minitimeSun Dec 28, 2008 6:19 am

We arrived at the port without incident. It was getting later in the day so I went to the local Inn to secure a room. When I arived at the Inn the attendent there gave me a note right after I told him who I was. I opened the note and read.
"Captain Larkin,

Sorry I have been called away unexpectantly. I still wish to meet up with you in the mornng. It is more a formallity really but you have traveled a long way and I do wish to meet you face to face.

Jean Paite.

P.S. The room is already taken care of pleasent dreams."

After a pleasent meal I headed up to my room for the night. It was a very nice room with a good view of the port. After my tiring day it wasn't long before I feel into a deep sleep.

"Come on we are running behind." my father said as he pulled once more on my arm. As we approached a coach I saw Ralph standing next to it. I was about to speak when my father pushed me toward the coach. "Get inside Namo this won't take me long." he said as he turned toward Ralph "I thought I told you I never want to be seen with you again."
"Well there is a matter I needed to tell you about." Ralph said as they walked a bit from the coach.

They were too far away for me to hear but what I saw was shocking. It looked from where I sat that Ralph grabbed a small bag that was hanging from my fathers belt and turned to run. "Thief" my father yeld and then came back to the coach. "Well I hope you have seen your friends true colors son." he said as he steped inside. "We need to get on our way. i will deal with Mr. LaFoot when I return." And we were off.

The next thing I remember was Manny and me playing outside the house where his Grandmother was staying. It was a service house of a Nobelman located just outside the city of Barcolona. We had plans to spend a year there visiting Manny's Grandmother so my father made arrangments for a tutor for us. About a month before we were going to leave Manny's Grandmother got very sick so we stayed a bit longer. In the end she died. I remember a few nights later when I asked Manny how he was doing he said. "I am all alone now. She was the only family I had left."
"What about your father?" I asked. "He isn't my real father but your right I do have him." I motioned for him to follow me as we headed out to the stables. "Here give me your hand." As he held it out I took the knife from my belt and cut his palm then made a cut in mine and clasped his in mine.
"Our friendship has united us and now our blood bonds us as brothers. If you every need me I will be there. Ask and I will do what I can." I told him. Manny then spoke "In danger you were there. In my sorry you have conforted me. From here on I am your bother. Your friends are my friends your enemy is my enemy. Call and i will come."

The morning light awoke me from my dream. I finished my business and headed back to Tampa. On the trip back I began to remember the last time I had seen Manny. It was so long ago. As I recall it was at the New Years Ball that was held at the Louvre since Louis XIV had moved the Royal Family to the Palace of Versaillers. It was by inventation only.

((That concludes the earlier time in my life. A Comming of Age is next and it starts with the Ball. Keep in mind the year is 1697 if you want to be true to your character. Every member is welcome to attend and play your charactor of someone else. You will understand at the start of the Thread on, you guessed it New Years Eve. see you then.))
Back to top Go down
Namo Larkin
Proprietor-General
Proprietor-General
Namo Larkin

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Returning to an earlier time in my life   Returning to an earlier time in my life Icon_minitimeTue Dec 30, 2008 2:14 pm

OOC;

Ok after some consideration I realized I was making Emile to be older than he was so to fix or adjust the time frame I have altered my time line a bit.
I did change the dates in my story and have changed the Ball to now be held at the end of 1696
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Returning to an earlier time in my life   Returning to an earlier time in my life Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Returning to an earlier time in my life
Page 1 of 1