OxBaker

Number of posts : 410
Registration date : 2007-09-10

Character sheet
Locations: Grenville
Production: Hemp, Rope, Canvas, Cotton, Sails, Textile Unrest Bundles
Requirements: Tar

The bargaining table. Empty
PostSubject: The bargaining table.   The bargaining table. Icon_minitimeFri Mar 07, 2008 1:27 pm

Bishop Aidan McDermott sat alone in the Grand Hall of the Diocese in Pointe--Pitre and prayed. A large circular table and chairs had been brought in for this occasion and the ArchDiocese in Santo Domingo had dispatched a guard to ensure the utmost of privacy in the preceedings that were about to take place.

"Great Father give me the words to convey in this most dire of times. The greatest protectorate the French have in these seas has been dealt a crippling blow and as a result the once proud Highland Confederacy has been brought down and broken. If there is any hope of reconciliation, please give me the strength to facilitate it." The old Bishop whispered as he awaited those who were invited. He wondered if any would come.

It only seemed like yesterday that they all stood shoulder to shoulder, united in friendship and purpose at that grand ball... how had things gone so wrong so fast...

But underlying tensions came quickly to the surface after that night and now the guild was divided. Some had united under another banner, some had gone thier own way and some still remained with the Confederacy. But Aidan hoped and prayed that none were too happy with the current state of affairs. Enough was enough, the Bishop had decided. "I shall see that we sit down face to face and either work towards reunification or at the very least take the proper time to say our goodbyes to one another as parting friends should."

So invitations had been sent out to all current and past members requesting thier presence at this holy sactuary and the Bishop temporarily set aside his role as officer of the Highland Confederacy and took up that of mediator.

And so the old man sat and prayed and wondered if any would come...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
OxBaker
Privateer Captain
Privateer Captain
OxBaker

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: The bargaining table.   The bargaining table. Icon_minitimeFri Mar 07, 2008 3:22 pm

Hope it is alright with everyone but I'm going to put a temporary hold on this RPing thread until I have had a chance to form a basis of dialogue with some of the other parties that may be involved in it. I suppose it can't hurt if you really want to post your thoughts and feelings about talks between past and current members that you can have your character walk in, take a seat and maybe give some insights as to what they are thinking about it all but we won't begin any actual discussions for a bit. Thanks!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Deoiridh
Merchant Captain
Merchant Captain
Deoiridh

Number of posts : 669
Registration date : 2007-05-22

Character sheet
Locations: Belle Isle, New Orleans, Irish Point
Production: Shot, Cannons, Fittings, Powder, Unrest Supplies
Requirements: Saltpeter, Limestone, Doubloons

PostSubject: Re: The bargaining table.   The bargaining table. Icon_minitimeSat Mar 08, 2008 12:02 pm

Deoiridh stood in the doorway of the Hall, reluctant to interrupt the good bishop who was deep in prayer. She tried hard to suppress her mingled unease at what appeared to her as a conspicuous display of wealth throughout the Diocesan premises. She tried to remind herself that such fixtures as the Diocese possessed would make it appear secondary to a back country parish in Europe, and it scarcely even rated when compared with the splendour of the houses erected by many of the French aristocrats, including many of the Confederacy's former members.

The former members. That was what it was all about. There was now a distressingly large group of people that bore that title. It was this fact that had forged an unlikely alliance between the Bishop and herself in an effort to right the listing ship of the Confederacy. Individual fortunes and lives, of course, depended on this. But so, she reminded herself did freedom. Freedom from British tyranny, obviously, but also all the many dawning, nebulous freedoms that had assumed a solid cast for her in recent months: freedom to be a woman in public, freedom to associate, freedom to converse on all manner of subjects philosophical, political, scientific, or scurrilous.

She and the bishop did make an unlikely pairing. It was not his Roman faith set against her Protestant upbringing. It was the fact that she no longer had any form of religious belief at all. Her faith had been shattered finally with her leg, her view of Heaven eclipsed by the loss of her eye. Even on this side of the Atlantic, in a war-torn world of thieves and murderers, a profession of atheism would have marked her more effectively than her damaged body.

But maybe an unlikely alliance would prove to be the best model for the Confederacy.

She watched the Bishop getting a little stiffly to his feet. Since the night of the ball she had noticed him wincing occasionally when he moved. She had thought of teasing him gently about an old dancing injury, but then fragments of rumor began to circulate. . .news of the daring rescue of Seamus--another "former" she reminded herself sadly--had spread around the taverns like a dose of the pox, but she had also heard of strange goings on at Madam Baudelaire's residence, goings on that had been quickly hushed up with exactly the kind of discretion for which the Bishop was so well known.

He turned, noticed her, and advanced toward her a broad smile on his face, his hands extended. Stepping toward him she took his hands. "Good evening, my good bishop, I had no wish to interrupt your prayers. Has no one else arrived yet?"
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: The bargaining table.   The bargaining table. Icon_minitimeSat Mar 08, 2008 1:43 pm

Bognor Regis stumped into the Grand Hall. "G'day, mates," he shouted, in his usual form, then noting the startled look of the Bishop proceeded in a quieter tone, quickly removing his hat. "Begging your pardon, Your Grace, Milady," he bowed to each, "I got word of the conference and came as quickly as I could. But a squadron of Sassenach decided to chase me into port and delayed me a bit. Maybe I'm still a bit excited from the occasion."

The Bishop smiled at the impetuous young man. "None of that, my son, we are all old friends here."

Bognor continued, "L'Dave would have been here as well, but he was drunk as Davy's sow in Grenville and his sailing master was afraid to make the trip with him in that condition. But we spent a good hour at the Grenville inn discussing the recent events, and have come to a common understanding." He looked thoughtful a moment, "If we had spent less time there, then perhaps McGraw would have not been so drunk..."

Lady Deoiridh gave Bognor a somewhat impatient look. "Well then," she said, "have you anything of substance to add to the conversation."

Bognor bowed again. "Ach, Milady, we see it this way. Except for the terrible loss of the noble Benoit, all our mates are still here in the western isles, fighting the Sassenach. I've yet to be denied presence on a squadron, nor have any derisive comments been aimed at me. Not only that, my business is doing very well. It's not suffered at all from this schism."

He paused and looked thoughtfully at the Bishop. "If some choose to no longer wear the Confederacy emblem on their sails, that's their choice, eh?" he said, after a moment. "Our place in the New World is established and we still have a sound base of loyal Confederates at our side."

He paused again, and seemed to consider very carefully his next words. "All that being said," he finally continued, "my mates in the Confederacy are special to me. I'll give them my last round of shot or my best sailing gear if they need it. I'll put myself in harm's way to save them, paying the ultimate sacrifice if necessary. I honor and respect all those who sail under French colours, regardless of any current or former relationship, but my mates in the Confederacy always come first."

With that, he paused and looked at the two officers.
Back to top Go down
OxBaker
Privateer Captain
Privateer Captain
OxBaker

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: The bargaining table.   The bargaining table. Icon_minitimeSat Mar 08, 2008 3:59 pm

Aidan listened attentively to Bognor's opinions. He respected the man's views but sorely wished they were different this time. But at this point it did not surprise him. They were views that were expressed to him by every member of the Confederacy that he had spoken with. Choices had been made by those who had gone thier own way and the unity of those who remained was the issue of import, and not a patching of the old ties.

Aidan was about to state his arguments once more when a Diocese Aid swiftly approached and handed him a parchment. As the old Bishop opened and read, a look of resignation settled upon his face. It was from his parted friends and the words seemed to echo Bognor's thoughts. Both those who remained and those who had left had all spoken clearly. Neither side felt it best to consider reuniting. Aidan seemed alone in this belief and it weighed heavily upon him.

But the old Bishop did not regret the attempt. Reconsiliation was at the core of his beliefs. It was almost always the prefered choice... almost... but not this time...

Steeling himself to the finality of it, Aidan turned to his friends and spoke in a resigned tone, "I fear Bognor that your thoughts seem to be supported by all involved. And while I still maintain my beliefs that reunification is the more opportune choice, it seems I am alone in this belief and thus conceed it. Perhaps in time as the sting of recent events fades I may raise the idea again but for now it seems we will only meet with our remaining friends and those that have parted ways with us will remain close allies but nothing more. I can accept this and will not dwell on it. And so in moving forward, this meeting will be limited to those who remain with the Confederacy to discuss how we shall best move forward."

OOC: Well, as stated, both sides have spoken pretty clearly. Those that remain really seem to feel it is best not to try and bring others back after their choices have been made, and those who have left currently do not wish to return so I accept that and won't push the issue further. But I don't regret trying and am glad to hear that we can all still remain allied within the game for the betterment of France. But as far as the discussions about the refomation of the guild that I stated above, I think we should continue it within the privacy of the members area.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: The bargaining table.   The bargaining table. Icon_minitimeSat Mar 08, 2008 6:02 pm

The letter read:

To Bishop Aidan McDermott and the Highland Confederacy,

I hope that this letter find you and yours in decent health and spirits.

Firstly, I wish to extend my sincerest regrets on the death of Benoit Bontecou. The timing of such a loss is most unfortunate, and my thoughts and prayers are with you all.

But it is over a different matter that I must write this letter to you. I regret to inform you that, on behalf of all of La Compagnie des les Occidentales, we respectfully decline your invitation to reform as a singular entity. We do not feel that it is in either of our best interests and do not think that the hearts and minds involved could be reunited in a successful manner.

I do wish to take this opportunity to say that our fifteen members have made their choices with great thought and consideration. Please know that our separation was not made rashly, and that no single event, person, or exchange was responsible for our departure. Each member has his or her own decision for a different set of reasons, personal to themselves, and I would not presume to speak as if I know all those reasons. I do know, however, that we do not carry any ill will towards the Highlanders over what has happened in the past. What is done is done, mistakes were made. Until the dust settles, I encourage everyone to stay calm and resolute, for the time to work towards a better tomorrow is upon both of our societies.

I know that these things have caused some enmity between the Highlanders and La Compagnie, and understandably so. Parting is never an easy decision, not for those who leave nor those who stay behind. We attempted to leave peaceably, but if in our wake we left confusion hurt feelings, please find it in your heart to forgive us and try to understand that we did not do this to hurt Highland, but to build a vision that our members shared together.

Please know that we wish nothing but good times for the Confederacy in the future, and that we consider you all to be dear friends. You are always welcome to join us for a hunting party or a drink in the tavern, and you will always be recieved with open arms.

Yours,

Chantilly Angevin
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The bargaining table.   The bargaining table. Icon_minitimeMon Mar 10, 2008 11:26 pm

Gudrun walks up, holding a reluctant Lisette by the hand. Both sisters sit.

"I'd like to reapply to admission to the Highland Confederacy," Gudrun announces. "I believe Lisette has something to say as well."

Lisette grunts as Gudrun's elbow hits her arm. "Ok, Ok, Gudrun."

"I admit that I departed in protest," Lisette explains, "and out of misguided friendship, which forced the rest of my family and its businesses to support me.

"It's no secret that the former leader of the Confederacy did not impress me. When all the people I knew and respected most departed, and made it plain that I my comments were the trigger, it would have been dishonorable to stay. If I was convinced the Confederacy's leadership was wrong, I needed to have the courage of my convictions.

"Since that day over a week ago, three things have happened that opened my eyes.

"First, the old leadership of the Confederacy is no more. With new leadership can come new beginnings. Second, the membership seemed to view with some favor my thoughts on what the society could and should be. This gives me hope that I really do belong among you. Third, the group who departed to form their own society, those 'favored fifteen,' have demonstrated though their actions that what they desire for a society is nowhere near my thoughts.

"Therefore," Lisette concludes, "I too wish to reapply to membership within the Highland Confederacy."

Lisette looks the Highland Confederates in the eye. "Be it known that I do not apologize for my past words and actions. I spoke honestly, and acted as I felt honor demanded at the time. If you feel it was dishonorabe and demand an apology, I recommend that you not readmit us. If you feel my behavior has been an afront to your honor, my second will be pleased to call on you to set a time and place for mutual satisfaction."

Lisette then stopped speaking. Gudrun looked at her sister with a horror-stricken expression, then whispered to Lisette, "You ninny! You don't invite duels at a bargaining table!"
Back to top Go down
Deoiridh
Merchant Captain
Merchant Captain
Deoiridh

Number of posts : 669
Registration date : 2007-05-22

Character sheet
Locations: Belle Isle, New Orleans, Irish Point
Production: Shot, Cannons, Fittings, Powder, Unrest Supplies
Requirements: Saltpeter, Limestone, Doubloons

PostSubject: Re: The bargaining table.   The bargaining table. Icon_minitimeTue Mar 11, 2008 8:38 pm

She smoothed Chantilly's letter absent-mindedly as she stared at the wax dripping slowly down the side of a nearby candle on the table. Her posture was still, but her hands betrayed the activity of her thoughts, smoothing, shaping, eliminating wrinkles and tiny pits in the paper, making it perfect, fixing it, repairing the damage.

At a polite cough from the Bishop she looked up and saw the Von Klein sisters entering the hall. As she listened, she found that she was having a hard time not smiling. Between the fiery, passionate Lisette and the calm, patient Gudrun, there was a wonderful whole person there! The sisters argued with the kind of intensity that had produced wars between nations. But it was the kind of argument that bespoke the enormous affection between them. Only two people so close to one another could argue so passionately about such trivia. Besides there was a certain irony to this situation: Deoiridh had in fact never removed the sisters from the Confederacy's roster. She had been about to, but something in her heart just wouldn't let her.

At Lisette's final words, however, she felt her face collapsing, all the strain of the last few days dragging it down.

"My dear Miss von Klein" she began. "Lisette. Were you even to desire a deliberate affront to my honor you would have to join a very long line of people waiting to do so. And from that very long line you could probably catch a glimpse of an equally long line of people walking away, congratulating themselves for having just done so. Why, I could tell you. . ."

She felt a slight pressure on her arm. The Bishop's hand, the slightest restraint. She had been about to check herself anyway, aware that she might let things slip that should remain unsaid. That should even remain unthought. But now she looked at him in shock. Did he know? How much? But the Bishop's face was placid, his gaze reassuring. He removed his hand and adjusted his ring. Deoiridh turned back and her gaze met that of Lisette.

"Lisette, my apologies, the last few days. . .you understand. But I can assure you that no one could possibly construe an act of yours as dishonorable." At least, she said to silently to herself, not if they knew what was good for them. "You have gained a justified reputation for your courage, for your leadership, for your unswerving principles. And you, Gudrun, your economic prowess and your. . .er. . .diplomacy"--she couldn't help the way her gaze snapped back to Lisette briefly--have always been assets to the Confederacy. I think I speak for the Bishop as well when I say that for us you have never left."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The bargaining table.   The bargaining table. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The bargaining table.
Page 1 of 1