HomePortalGallerySearchRegisterLog in

Farewell

Go down 
AuthorMessage

Farewell Empty
PostSubject: Farewell   Farewell Icon_minitimeSun Apr 06, 2008 9:35 am

I'm not going to take the time to post an RP goodbye as I'm simply not in the mood for it. Friday evening, I finally finished grinding my way to 50...the way I've pretty much done all along...solo. When Jack, Wilhelm and the Commodore were here, at least they made an effort to form groups; whether they were successful or not is beside the point. I can't count the times I've offered to lead a hunting group and the few times any of you have accepted, it lasted about 30-45 minutes...which is barely enough time to get to an area and sink 2-3 ships.

No, I'm not much of a leader and I don't talk all that much, of that I won't dispute, but I am a team player. I supported our ship builders with deeds and goods in the hope that the Society would benefit...and perhaps it has, I hope so anyway. But invariably, I always seemed to wind up out there grinding away by myself.

Now I see discussion taking place and game patches coming in that will drive all but the PvP players away from the game...namely a discussion in which an officer of HC, Bognor, actually advocates giving a percentage of warehouse goods up as "booty" in the event of a lost PB. I also see it advocated whereby those who choose to PvP and bypass the economy all together want to have the ability to gain high end ships simply by turning in MoV's. This coming Tuesdays patch is the first step as I see it toward that eventuality.

((IC)) Bognor, if ye be mi' cousin, ahn wish tae remain so, ah'd hope ye donnae favor tha as well. ((IC))

This also makes it alarmingly clear as to why you can't go anywhere on Bonny without running into a red zone or a gank squad. So, what is without a doubt the most wonderfully intricate and complex economic model of any MMO that I've ever played will ultimately be undone by those who would advocate forcing others to engage in PvP. And in their eyes, and probably some of yours as well, I'm a coward or a carebear because I refuse to go out and join in the gank-fest that passes for PvP in this game.

Anyway, I have decided that I'll simply find what enjoyment I can until it becomes impossible to do so. You all are fine group of people but at present, the Society as a whole is too fractured in my opinion. And with that, I wish you all adieu and farewell.
Back to top Go down

Farewell Empty
PostSubject: Re: Farewell   Farewell Icon_minitimeSun Apr 06, 2008 11:15 am

(OOC) What a bummer Argyll. We didn't group alot but we seemed to have fun in chat. I hope that if you are around (and haven't gone pirate or something...) you will not avoid me. It's hard when leaving a society to keep in touch.

Anyway- I think you have some valid points throughout your discourse- I won't take up anything regarding our society here, it's not the place for it BUT I will say I see problems arising for those of us who would rather mission than PvP. Honestly- pvp freaks my peace of mind, and getting ganked by a pack of 50s when you're alone sucks. It boils down to how fast is your ship and which direction you're facing when you get sucked in.

I wasn't here for the initial PotBS- but my understanding and frustration is when PotBS started it had no missions- they were an after-program to draw people in.... pvp only wasn't working. People could play other pvp games that were infinitely better then PotBS. So enough said- I hope SOE and FLS will reconsider jamming more pvp stuff into here but I am one of the small minority voices and usually don't get listened to.
Back to top Go down

Farewell Empty
PostSubject: Re: Farewell   Farewell Icon_minitimeSun Apr 06, 2008 12:14 pm

OOC Argyll I hadn't read your post when we said our goodbyes earlier today.
If i had, I would have tell you that i couldn't agree more than i do to your vision of what this game may become and, I too, if future prove you right, I will leave this game but, with deep sorrow cause I will have to leave the finest group of players I have been part of in those long years that I have played.
In every game i played I have always spoke loud against ganging and often was I considered a coward but, at the same time, very few accepted a challenge and fewer survived.
The last game I played, not a true MMORPG but close enough was Runescape and, out of 1 million members and 4 millions players on Free to Play, I was ranked 1211, none dare challenge me to a fair fight, but I had long cease to count the number of times I was assaulted by groups sometimes up to 15, I quit.
But if you read posts on the forums you will notice that we aren't the only ones to think that way and, contrary to most other games the people at FLS are listening and acting, not always as fast or exactly in the direction we would prefer but they are acting.

Don't quit this game too early and don't stop expressing your opinion on forums, I have read you many times as i am sure the GM have. It is always easier to change things from the inside.

Fare well, fair winds and hope to see you often in this game and read you as often.
Back to top Go down
OxBaker
Privateer Captain
Privateer Captain
OxBaker

Number of posts : 410
Registration date : 2007-09-10

Character sheet
Locations: Grenville
Production: Hemp, Rope, Canvas, Cotton, Sails, Textile Unrest Bundles
Requirements: Tar

Farewell Empty
PostSubject: Re: Farewell   Farewell Icon_minitimeMon Apr 07, 2008 7:18 pm

Blessings and Fairwell Argyll,

I am truely sorry to hear of the issues you have been facing and your decision to move on. If I had known you were having issues around grouping I honestly would have tried to see what could be done. But in that area I guess it is a difficult situation to regulate. Different Captains sail at different times and everyone has thier own personal feelings about how often they like to group so there may be no easy answer.

But I hope you will still keep in touch with us and if it is alright I will add you as an Ally in our books. You will always get a blessing from me when I see you sail past! Take care!

Your Brother in Christ,

Bishop Aidan McDermott
Back to top Go down

Farewell Empty
PostSubject: Re: Farewell   Farewell Icon_minitimeMon Apr 07, 2008 11:02 pm

Fair winds to you.
Back to top Go down

Farewell Empty
PostSubject: Re: Farewell   Farewell Icon_minitimeTue Apr 08, 2008 12:27 am

Alas, Argyll, our gaming times almost never overlap. If they had, I think we would have sailed together a good bit. I think everybody knows that I continually push for more grouping, since what I enjoy most is working as part of a team in PvE battles. Needless to say, I'd be the last person to advocate game design changes that encourage more PvP and make PvE virtually unnecessary.

On the other hand, the potential beauty of an organization like HC is that it can encompass people of very different philosophies. Ideally each can pursue their own favorite play style, while experimenting with those of others. It is very regretable that we don't seem to be grouping more. It's perplexing because the XP and loot benefits for teaming exceed those of solo missions, especially for low-levels grouping with higher levels. PotBS is one of the few games that actively encourages power-levelling.

Should you be sailing at 11pm-1am Pacific time, or thereabouts, put me on your friends list and let me know whenever you're looking for someone to sail with. We'll invite you into whatever team we have going, and if none are happening, I'll always be delighted to sail with an old comrade-in-arms.

~Lisette von Klein
Back to top Go down

Farewell Empty
PostSubject: Re: Farewell   Farewell Icon_minitimeTue Apr 08, 2008 7:51 am

von Klein wrote:

---snip

I think everybody knows that I continually push for more grouping, since what I enjoy most is working as part of a team in PvE battles.

---snip
~Lisette von Klein

Along the lines of the span of different playstyles in a guild: I generally dislike PvE groups and love PvP groups. I don't mind one or two teammates in PvE once in a while (Nora and Edeor sank a lot of Brits at Turtling Bay Sunday, for instance) but as a rule I prefer solo PvE and group PvP.

That is why the bracket system they are introducing does not appeal to me at all...

Bog
Back to top Go down

Farewell Empty
PostSubject: Re: Farewell   Farewell Icon_minitimeWed Apr 09, 2008 12:41 pm

Farewell Argyll, it has been nice sailing with you. I very much appreciated your leadership in the early days, I am sad that we will no longer benefit from your guidance in group combat. I will be drinking to you tonight my friend. drunken

OOC: Something I would like to point out, perhaps Bognor already mentioned it. This is just my personal view of the situation. When the game first started, everyone was roughly the same level and had the same equipment. There was much more group activity, it was fun and exciting. Over time, some players advanced more quickly than others. The playing field became much less even. Now I am pretty certain that if I adventure into the PvP areas, as a lvl 39 FT with a slow ship, I am going to be swimming to shore. Where is the fun in that? And so I have tended to avoid those activities. It's not that I don't want to participate, but why bother? A group is not needed to do quests in NO or hunt pirates off the cuban coast. So I often don't bother joining or forming one. I need to level right now, and continue to grow my FT business, and these are the things I have been spending my time doing.

I believe as the players all reach the same maximum cap, and everyone has access to the same level of equipment, that group PvP will have a resurgance. Hopefully then we will have more group activity. I would expect regular groups to form at regular times, I honestly believe this will happen. And I plan to be a member of one of our regular HC PvP groups.

What I am most proud of our Society for currently, is the way we work together in the Economy. In this area we are performing exceptionally. As long as we continue to work together and help each other in this area, I have no doubts that we will continue to grow. There will still be people who feel they are not a good fit, but I think there will be many others we attract too us.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Farewell Empty
PostSubject: Re: Farewell   Farewell Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Farewell
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Highland Confederacy Guest Forums :: The Dockside Inn-
Jump to: