Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Release 1 Player Structures

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage

Release 1 Player Structures Empty
PostSubject: Release 1 Player Structures   Release 1 Player Structures Icon_minitimeFri Jul 13, 2007 8:26 pm

From what I know.. players will be able to own personal establishments like Taverns and Plantations. Now.. with taverns.. what will be going on in terms of plans like The Albatross? Is the society leader going to own that and make it a meeting area? Also, what port are we thinking of making the society's home port (apparently French owned.. at the time)

These are simply fun things to think about at the eve of the beta expansion.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Release 1 Player Structures   Release 1 Player Structures Icon_minitimeFri Jul 13, 2007 8:55 pm

Really? I was under the impression that player owned buildings that could be used a guild HQs, homes, etc. are planned for a later releaseā€¦
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Release 1 Player Structures   Release 1 Player Structures Icon_minitimeFri Jul 13, 2007 8:55 pm

I'm afraid you're quite thoroughly misunderstanding the current state of player ownership. At the moment, player owned facilities exist only in menu form according to the devs. So you go up to some NPC in port and open up a menu and order your workers to produce X units of Y product. They don't have any physical presence. I'm pretty sure there are no player owned taverns at this time either. As for what port we will be making home, there has been some discussion of making it in the Lesser Antilles, but its not finalized yet.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Release 1 Player Structures   Release 1 Player Structures Icon_minitimeFri Jul 13, 2007 9:03 pm

Ah ok.. that seems odd though. Player owned taverns is misleading if it's not an actual physical place to go to. I understand plantations and the production basics, but it's the taverns that confused me. Sorry about that.

As for the Lesser Antilles, I couldn't have picked a better spot. Somewhere like Guadalope or Montserrat, eh?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Release 1 Player Structures   Release 1 Player Structures Icon_minitimeFri Jul 13, 2007 9:08 pm

To be honest, I can't even recall ever seeing anything about player owned taverns. I'm pretty sure R1 only includes player ownership of production structures.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Release 1 Player Structures   Release 1 Player Structures Icon_minitimeFri Jul 13, 2007 10:53 pm

The lead designer, Isildur, has made some remarks on the topic of player housing. On the something awful forums he posted some Q&A's and one of the things he spoke about was player owned building.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2462407&userid=28970#post327572008

If you follow that link it will take you to his post. The fourth question in that post deals with plans for player owned buildings.

For those of you too lazy to go and check it out, the question is

Quote :
This question is kinda dumb since you own your own ship, but is there any 'player housing', and personalising furniture and inviting fellow pirates over for a game of pirate poker?

with the answer from Isildur being...

Quote :
Not for release, although we have already designed the feature for immediate post-release. Not just housing, either, because housing is stupid in a game where you don't need to sleep. Taverns, estates, theaters...

I think player housing is a super hard feature to pull off well. If not, its a money sink, as well as a waste of developers time.
Back to top Go down
Deoiridh
Merchant Captain
Merchant Captain
Deoiridh

Number of posts : 669
Registration date : 2007-05-22

Character sheet
Locations: Belle Isle, New Orleans, Irish Point
Production: Shot, Cannons, Fittings, Powder, Unrest Supplies
Requirements: Saltpeter, Limestone, Doubloons

PostSubject: Re: Release 1 Player Structures   Release 1 Player Structures Icon_minitimeSat Jul 14, 2007 4:15 pm

Yes, player housing can be a challenge, and its chief function, very often, is simply to provide you a place to store all your crap. However it also provides players with a sense of place in the game world, and the ability to customize that world (in the form not only of your own individual space, but in terms of creating neighbourhoods, etc.).

However one of the big things the devs have repeatedly said they are interested in is creating some kind of interior for your ships (in the form of a captain's cabin, for example). That I think will be particularly hard challenge, but one they are likely to take on because it can really help set the game apart from others.

One of the coolest things about SWG was the luxury yacht that many acquired which you could decorate like a house, but somehow the fact that it was mobile gave it a function as well. I'm anticipating that the ships will eventually function the same way.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Release 1 Player Structures   Release 1 Player Structures Icon_minitimeFri Jul 20, 2007 11:06 am

I am crossing my fingers for a cabin in the ships, even if only for some of the bigger, more expensive ships.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Release 1 Player Structures   Release 1 Player Structures Icon_minitimeFri Jul 20, 2007 12:20 pm

Benoit_Bontecou wrote:
I am crossing my fingers for a cabin in the ships, even if only for some of the bigger, more expensive ships.

Yea I have to agree that I think that would be a great feature and probably a realistic place to put hopes.
Back to top Go down
Hamish MacBane
Founder
Founder
Hamish MacBane

Number of posts : 456
Registration date : 2007-04-14

Character sheet
Locations:
Production:
Requirements:

PostSubject: Re: Release 1 Player Structures   Release 1 Player Structures Icon_minitimeFri Jul 20, 2007 12:23 pm

Wow, I haven't weighed in no this thread...strange. Yeah I want cabins too, but I'd love to own my own tavern also. Will be neat when that stuff is allowed. And if so, then yes the Albatross will be very much in business. Regardless of player run or not, I want to find an in game place to say, this is the Albatross.
Back to top Go down
https://highlandconfederacy.forumotion.com

PostSubject: Re: Release 1 Player Structures   Release 1 Player Structures Icon_minitimeFri Jul 20, 2007 1:09 pm

cheers
Hamish MacBane wrote:
Wow, I haven't weighed in no this thread...strange. Yeah I want cabins too, but I'd love to own my own tavern also. Will be neat when that stuff is allowed. And if so, then yes the Albatross will be very much in business. Regardless of player run or not, I want to find an in game place to say, this is the Albatross.

And when he says 'a place to say this is the Albatross' he really means a place to sit around drinking until he passes out.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Release 1 Player Structures   Release 1 Player Structures Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Release 1 Player Structures
Page 1 of 1