Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Easter Ball

Go down 
3 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage

Easter Ball Empty
PostSubject: Easter Ball   Easter Ball Icon_minitimeMon Mar 16, 2009 1:29 pm

I finally went ahead and made a post on the FLS boards about this idea to see if there would be any interest. You can find it here. If you like, you could even reply to it to at least give the impression of interest... Very Happy

Possible Attendees
-Syd Nouvelle Ecosse (France)
-Nine Winds (Pirate Society)
-Ebeneezer Crunch
(Pirate)
-Los Lobos de la Fuego (Spanish Society)

Last edited by Émile deMontfort on Tue Mar 17, 2009 8:51 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down

Easter Ball Empty
PostSubject: Re: Easter Ball   Easter Ball Icon_minitimeMon Mar 16, 2009 2:06 pm

I put some stuff up about the old ball, just for a point of reference. Dunno how many bites we'll get but it's always worth a shot! Though this would mean I'll have to respec to get diplomacy back... Razz
Back to top Go down

Easter Ball Empty
PostSubject: Re: Easter Ball   Easter Ball Icon_minitimeMon Mar 16, 2009 2:21 pm

I think I'm going to file a "suggestion" on the support site later... see if there's any possibility of dev/gm support for this one.
Back to top Go down

Easter Ball Empty
PostSubject: Re: Easter Ball   Easter Ball Icon_minitimeMon Mar 16, 2009 2:35 pm

Did we ever settle on a location? Or, more importantly perhaps, a date?
Back to top Go down

Easter Ball Empty
PostSubject: Re: Easter Ball   Easter Ball Icon_minitimeMon Mar 16, 2009 3:42 pm

I was under the impression that we were going to be using Fort Caroline... as for the date, maybe the Friday before Easter (10 April)? When was Easter in 1720?
Back to top Go down

Easter Ball Empty
PostSubject: Re: Easter Ball   Easter Ball Icon_minitimeMon Mar 16, 2009 4:13 pm

Easter's kind of a complex one to try and figure out... Basically because Rome changed from the Julian calendar to the Gregorian in the 1500's, but the changeover took some time... and England (not being Catholic) didn't get around to changing for a lot longer (1750s)!

However, for the sake of clarity, here's one site that claims to know definitively the dates for our time setting:

http://www.assa.org.au/edm.html#List17

They claim March 31 for 1720, and April 13 for 1721. (I always imagine it must be 1721 now since we launched a year ago in 1720. Razz Your mileage may vary.)

So I wouldn't worry about the actual date of Easter so much, and might just want to go with a date somewhere early to mid April-ish and pick a Friday or Saturday night to work from.

Though if I might suggest, RP-wise, that it'll be best if we claim it's *after* Easter and not just before since partying and revelry during Holy Week really isn't the best idea. Nailing Jesus to the cross and all is rather depressing. We don't even get Hallelujah chorus in church during Lent.
Back to top Go down
Deoiridh
Merchant Captain
Merchant Captain
Deoiridh

Number of posts : 669
Registration date : 2007-05-22

Character sheet
Locations: Belle Isle, New Orleans, Irish Point
Production: Shot, Cannons, Fittings, Powder, Unrest Supplies
Requirements: Saltpeter, Limestone, Doubloons

Easter Ball Empty
PostSubject: Re: Easter Ball   Easter Ball Icon_minitimeTue Mar 17, 2009 8:31 am

This does bring up an interesting issue. How would this work for people who don't have diplomacy? I know a lot of people pick this up and then ditch it because it simply enables you to hear crap in multiple sectors rather than just on your own nation chat. I myself have always thought it a waste of a skill point.

What kind of interaction can you imagine for characters without diplomacy, from an RP point of view? If we were ignorant Brits whose typical response to encountering another language is that "ils parlent l'Anglais le plus fort" (as the wonderful line from the film Orlando has it) we'd be fine, but we represent France and are therefore sophisticated and cultured (and even as Scots/Irish many of us would historically be bilingual if not trilingual).
Back to top Go down

Easter Ball Empty
PostSubject: Re: Easter Ball   Easter Ball Icon_minitimeTue Mar 17, 2009 9:18 am

Actually, back when we held the first ball, it seemed many of us already had diplomacy - especially the Spanish and Pirates, since they often did Rum & Wenches night internationally. But anymore, yeah, I imagine most of us don't have diplomacy anymore.

Those who have established some sort of RP background in multiple languages (or just want to know what's going on, even if they don't act on it) will have to pick up re-specs, run over to Pensacola or PaP to pick up diplo from the general trainer, and run back over there after the party sometime to re-fix our builds.

There were at least one or two that didn't have diplo at the last ball. They didn't stay long, probably because I didn't notice anyone bothering to translate - which I attribute to a functional flaw in the diplomacy ability, that you apparently have a universal ear but can't speak anything but your own language. Shocked
Back to top Go down

Easter Ball Empty
PostSubject: Re: Easter Ball   Easter Ball Icon_minitimeTue Mar 17, 2009 10:10 am

I have always kept diplomacy. Not sure as to why just always have.
Back to top Go down

Easter Ball Empty
PostSubject: Re: Easter Ball   Easter Ball Icon_minitimeTue Mar 17, 2009 10:23 am

Ironically, I just unspecced it on my last attempt to go for a battle-ready FT. *sigh* Ah well. I'll probably leave it on again after this ball, just in case it's needed. Technically Chant should be able to have a pretty decent grasp of Spanish and "patois" anyway, having the background in Latin and being a former 'rat. English, well, not sure about that...
Back to top Go down
Deoiridh
Merchant Captain
Merchant Captain
Deoiridh

Number of posts : 669
Registration date : 2007-05-22

Character sheet
Locations: Belle Isle, New Orleans, Irish Point
Production: Shot, Cannons, Fittings, Powder, Unrest Supplies
Requirements: Saltpeter, Limestone, Doubloons

Easter Ball Empty
PostSubject: Re: Easter Ball   Easter Ball Icon_minitimeTue Mar 17, 2009 10:31 am

Aye, it is true that Chantilly's grasp of English is demonstrably shaky. . .
Back to top Go down

Easter Ball Empty
PostSubject: Re: Easter Ball   Easter Ball Icon_minitimeTue Mar 17, 2009 10:36 am

Deoiridh wrote:
Aye, it is true that Chantilly's grasp of English is demonstrably shaky. . .

Zing!

But what I lack in quality, I make up in volume!
Back to top Go down

Easter Ball Empty
PostSubject: Re: Easter Ball   Easter Ball Icon_minitimeTue Mar 17, 2009 12:12 pm

Chantilly wrote:
There were at least one or two that didn't have diplo at the last ball. They didn't stay long, probably because I didn't notice anyone bothering to translate - which I attribute to a functional flaw in the diplomacy ability, that you apparently have a universal ear but can't speak anything but your own language. Shocked

As I remember, Henri didn't have diplo but stayed the entire time because I and others did, in fact, translate for him.
tongue
Back to top Go down

Easter Ball Empty
PostSubject: Re: Easter Ball   Easter Ball Icon_minitimeTue Mar 17, 2009 12:17 pm

Émile deMontfort wrote:
As I remember, Henri didn't have diplo but stayed the entire time because I and others did, in fact, translate for him. tongue

He didn't? I'd forgotten that. I only remembered a pirate or two. Well aren't you just Translator Hero then. Smile Ah, Henri. Totally miss that guy, he was such a class act.
Back to top Go down
Edwin Stewart

Edwin Stewart

Number of posts : 143
Registration date : 2007-12-08

Character sheet
Locations: Tampa, New Orleans
Production: Ironmongery and Naval Stores (Guns, shot,repair items, keels, frames, planks, mast, spars, sails, rigging, tar, etc Everything but assembly)
Requirements: Ores and logs

Easter Ball Empty
PostSubject: Re: Easter Ball   Easter Ball Icon_minitimeTue Mar 17, 2009 8:05 pm

Émile deMontfort wrote:
I was under the impression that we were going to be using Fort Caroline... as for the date, maybe the Friday before Easter (10 April)? When was Easter in 1720?

The first Sunday on or after the first full moon on or after the vernal equinox, that day being fixed as March 21st. (so March 31, 1720 Gregorian)

And for what it's worth, the French and English calandars are 11 day different in 1720. And for how different countries/churches calculated Easter...Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down

Easter Ball Empty
PostSubject: Re: Easter Ball   Easter Ball Icon_minitimeTue Mar 17, 2009 8:42 pm

I dropped diplomacy as a worthless skill some time ago. If it's in the evening (US times) I won't be able to make it most likely anyway.
Back to top Go down

Easter Ball Empty
PostSubject: Re: Easter Ball   Easter Ball Icon_minitimeTue Mar 17, 2009 8:50 pm

Edwin Stewart wrote:
And for what it's worth, the French and English calandars are 11 day different in 1720. And for how different countries/churches calculated Easter...Rolling Eyes

And when did we suddenly start caring about what the English think?

Seems we have a Spanish Society planning to come now as well, Los Lobos de la Fuego. And that's a shame, Cathern. Since it is going to be on some Friday or another, I should be able to be on early. Perhaps we can start fairly early as well.
Back to top Go down

Easter Ball Empty
PostSubject: Re: Easter Ball   Easter Ball Icon_minitimeThu Mar 19, 2009 10:58 am

Hey, it even looks like some of my poking around the Vanguardia forums has unearthed one of them... We might yet get to pay back at least a few for their prior hospitality. Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down

Easter Ball Empty
PostSubject: Re: Easter Ball   Easter Ball Icon_minitimeSun Mar 22, 2009 12:05 pm

There's a decent amount of buzz among the Vanguardians about returning to Pirates in order to help with the RP movement. Hey guys, we're a movement now! Very Happy

I'm starting to get high hopes for this ball. Smile
Back to top Go down

Easter Ball Empty
PostSubject: Re: Easter Ball   Easter Ball Icon_minitimeSun Mar 22, 2009 11:29 pm

I received an answer to my "soft inquiry," as Chantilly puts it, to FLS today. It would seem that they are willing to help out, and would just like to know what sorts of things we'd like. Beyond the possibility of access to a "ball room" instance, is there anything else we should ask for. Maybe a news post on the community site once we have things hammered out?
Back to top Go down

Easter Ball Empty
PostSubject: Re: Easter Ball   Easter Ball Icon_minitimeMon Mar 23, 2009 3:05 am

Émile deMontfort wrote:
I received an answer to my "soft inquiry," as Chantilly puts it, to FLS today. It would seem that they are willing to help out, and would just like to know what sorts of things we'd like. Beyond the possibility of access to a "ball room" instance, is there anything else we should ask for. Maybe a news post on the community site once we have things hammered out?
Maybe they can provide several appropriate musical selections if they actually provide a ballroom?
Back to top Go down
Namo Larkin
Proprietor-General
Proprietor-General
Namo Larkin

Number of posts : 355
Registration date : 2008-01-11

Character sheet
Locations: Cayo, Tampa
Production: LV, Teak, and Ships
Requirements: Hulls or Parts for Hulls

Easter Ball Empty
PostSubject: Re: Easter Ball   Easter Ball Icon_minitimeMon Mar 23, 2009 6:47 am

It would be nice to be able to check diplomacy at the door but that would be too much to ask. I think its great they are considering a room as possible. On another note we have had a couple of inquires in the game as to attendance and where we RP if there is a location.
Back to top Go down

Easter Ball Empty
PostSubject: Re: Easter Ball   Easter Ball Icon_minitimeMon Mar 23, 2009 7:00 am

I love all the suggestions so far... music, auto-diplomacy inside the instance, and definitely a news posting. Any of those, if possible, would go so far towards making this completely epic.

As for where we RP now... you can always tell them "anywhere" as an answer but I doubt that's what they're looking for. Smile We've had a couple different bases of operations over the past year - Grenville to start, P-a-P during the CdIO months, lately it's been St. Augustine's tavern but that's none too centrally located, and is an ugly, ugly port to boot. Not to mention that when we do RP, it's usually spontaneous.

I suppose this is as good of a call for standardization as any...
Back to top Go down
Namo Larkin
Proprietor-General
Proprietor-General
Namo Larkin

Number of posts : 355
Registration date : 2008-01-11

Character sheet
Locations: Cayo, Tampa
Production: LV, Teak, and Ships
Requirements: Hulls or Parts for Hulls

Easter Ball Empty
PostSubject: Re: Easter Ball   Easter Ball Icon_minitimeMon Mar 23, 2009 7:45 am

I belive I answered the questioner as to where do you all RP was "Where ever I am at the time. ((on Society or Locally when I meet with someone face to face.))
Back to top Go down

Easter Ball Empty
PostSubject: Re: Easter Ball   Easter Ball Icon_minitimeMon Mar 23, 2009 8:10 am

Namo Larkin wrote:
I belive I answered the questioner as to where do you all RP was "Where ever I am at the time. ((on Society or Locally when I meet with someone face to face.))

Accurate, yet probably not what the poor petitioner was looking for. Ah, for a standard RP night into which we could drag curious strangers. I must think on this.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Easter Ball Empty
PostSubject: Re: Easter Ball   Easter Ball Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Easter Ball
Page 1 of 4Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next