Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

An Evening within the Albatross

Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage

An Evening within the Albatross Empty
PostSubject: An Evening within the Albatross   An Evening within the Albatross Icon_minitimeSun Jul 29, 2007 11:53 am

The Albatross has closed early for the second time in the last week. Members rejoin following the search for Hamish. It has now been close to 2 days since he was last seen. In addition, Dermid has met a new merchant who is perhaps interested in joining our cause. Due to the suspicion over the incident with the spy and Hamish turning up missing - at least for the moment, the Confederacy has clearly tightened up security in an attempt to regain stability.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: An Evening within the Albatross   An Evening within the Albatross Icon_minitimeSun Jul 29, 2007 12:52 pm

A man gazes off the port of a ship knows as The Dagoth. The sun is setting over the docks and a cool breeze sways the Skuda class merchant ship. The man's green jacket flaps with the breeze due to its light material. The man takes a final pull and tosses the remainder of the cigar into the bay. He walks between the covered boxes to exit the boat off its starboard.

The man approaches an inn known as the Albatross and knocks on the door thrice. When asked his purpose he replies, "My name is Xark. I have business to conduct with Dermid Gavin. I think he is to be expecting me"
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: An Evening within the Albatross   An Evening within the Albatross Icon_minitimeSun Jul 29, 2007 3:04 pm

Sitting at the counter Olaf sights deeply.

"Oh, Its indeed a dark day today. How can I rejoice of my acceptance if there might not be anything to be accepted into!"

Takes a sip from his pint and continues

"With Hamish gone the Confederacy seems to crumble before our own eyes, as if like its lifeblood had been sucked out of it..."

A short but long silence follows the sentence. Then Olaf turns to Dermid and asks in a clear unconfrotable tone.

"Have you or Willem possibly... erh, inspected his... records if he might be.. you know... d..."

Interupted by the knock on the door he stands up and graps his pistol from the counter...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: An Evening within the Albatross   An Evening within the Albatross Icon_minitimeSun Jul 29, 2007 7:05 pm

The door is opened and the newcomer enters. He quickly realizes some of the patrons are rather on edge so he makes sure his hands are visible.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: An Evening within the Albatross   An Evening within the Albatross Icon_minitimeSun Jul 29, 2007 7:37 pm

Dermid quickly stands from his comfortable position at the bar and moves over next to Xark.

"It is ok. I've asked him to come in." Dermid turns to Xark and laughs a bit at the reaction of the others in the tavern. "We're a bit jumpy ye might say. Probably nothing a few ales and tales shouldn't fix. I wish these were happier times and things a bit more settled but this just isn't the case. No worries though..."

With that, Dermid turns to the bar and introduces Xark as a merchant interested in the Confederacy and one who would like to meet other members and make acquantances before saying more.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: An Evening within the Albatross   An Evening within the Albatross Icon_minitimeSun Jul 29, 2007 8:36 pm

Xark nods to the room at large. He then removes a small pouch from his jacket. Pulling a cigar from the pouch he announces, "As a token of good faith and as a, lets say, taster." He then passes the bag to the nearest table.

Turning back to Dermind he says, "Since we are in port I thought I'd put my crew to work. I bought a small portion of leaves from the a local merchant and set tha men to it. It's not quite what the Spanish make, but I plan to acquire a proper shop eventually."
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: An Evening within the Albatross   An Evening within the Albatross Icon_minitimeSun Jul 29, 2007 9:46 pm

Émile, like most of his compatriots, had spent much of the day out searching for some sign of their leader. Despite the fact that Dermid had discovered where Hamish had most likely been abducted the night before, giving them at the very least a lead, they had all returned to the Albatross with little to show for their efforts. It even seemed that some were beginning to despair for both Hamish and the Confederacy as a whole. Émile, however, did not quite count himself among their number.

If the worst had indeed occurred, Émile did not doubt that the blow would be anything less than devastating, but, nevertheless, he was convinced that the Confederacy would live on and even continue to grow. Though it was very possible that they had lost the man forever, his cause (as any such noble endeavor) would not die with him. It simply could not be allowed to do so.

The entrance of a merchant who, evidently, called himself Xark, and Dermid’s announcement of the man’s (benign) interest in the Confederacy, brought Émile from his thoughts to the present. As the man spoke, and began to pass around a pouch of cigars, Émile caught his eye and offered a friendly nod of greeting.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: An Evening within the Albatross   An Evening within the Albatross Icon_minitimeSun Jul 29, 2007 10:48 pm

Xark walks towards the table and begins, "Good evening, as you have just heard, I am known as Xark. Tis not my Christian name, but one that I've been going by for some time now. Dermid was kind enough to tell me a bit about your organization."
The gentelman points to a seat and Xark takes it and continues, "We found we were both merchants with similar goals and needs. I understand this Confederacy to build built partial around just such business. I do not personally share your cause against the English, but as Mr. Dermid and I discuessed, this shouldn't interfere with any arrangements that may be made."
"But enough about me, tell me something about yourself and what your part in this Conferderacy is."
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: An Evening within the Albatross   An Evening within the Albatross Icon_minitimeMon Jul 30, 2007 8:07 am

Olaf puts away his pistol and lits up the cigar, though still remaining alert.

"A fellow merchant. Well mister X, youve certainly chosen a bad time to introduce yourself. Nevertheless, if Dermid decides to place his trust in you, then I quess youre welcome."

Goes a full circle around the newcomer and stops in front of him.

"Well, you seem capable enough. Im Olaf and you could call me a jack of all trades."

Then he turns and walks to his familiar corner table.

(OCC: Welcome Xark, and btw a nice application Smile)
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: An Evening within the Albatross   An Evening within the Albatross Icon_minitimeMon Jul 30, 2007 9:51 am

ooc: thanks Very Happy
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: An Evening within the Albatross   An Evening within the Albatross Icon_minitimeMon Jul 30, 2007 9:56 am

"...if Dermid decides to place his trust in you, then I quess youre welcome." Olaf's words rang in his ear.

To trust someone in such tumultous times could be foolish, but Murphy assured himself Dermid's confidence about the merchant had to be well founded. Murphy stood up from his card game and addressed Xarkun.

"I am a free-trader like yourself. I seek riches as an avenue towards influence, power, and respect... the dream of every other vagabond out here in the caribbean seas. But what we choose to do once we gain those three constitutions, well, thats what sets us apart." Murphy looked up and down Xarkun. "I understand you don't identify with our cause, but I hope that doesn't mean your loyalties lie so easily with the flow of gold. If you choose to join ranks I would hope that the bond of friendship is stronger than the allure of riches."

"Welcome nonetheless. And I think i speak for all of us when I say thanks for the cigars," Murphy finished as he at back down.

Last edited by on Mon Jul 30, 2007 11:11 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: An Evening within the Albatross   An Evening within the Albatross Icon_minitimeMon Jul 30, 2007 11:03 am

Dermid looks around the room and senses the general state of distrust and anxiety. He walks over to the hearth and takes a small step up and speaks in a louder tone, addressing the tavern at large.

"Evening.... Evening. As you all have noticed, I've offered a new face into our gathering. I agree that I wish times were different.... But they are not. As much as my heart tells me to hole up and find safety in the darkness, that is the path to our decay. Our numbers will grow or we will perish. I'd like to think that we can remain nameless and faceless, but that is probably far from reality. The British most certainly know of this place and likely know of each us men. Our chance is to fight for what is ours or we shall be run over like the rebellion at home. Of course there is risk whenever new persons walk through our walls, but let us hope that it is less than what lies before us should our Confederacy fail. So in this time of trouble, let us toast to the Confederacy!"

With that he raises his tin and finishes his ale. Before the tin returns to his side, he begins to gesture to Willem for another round.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: An Evening within the Albatross   An Evening within the Albatross Icon_minitimeMon Jul 30, 2007 1:11 pm

Xark raises his glass with the rest and then, replying to those around him, he says, "I can see how one might assume those in our profession are easily swayed by gold. I for one, am not. I try to remain honest in my trade. Apart from any moral reasons, it's just good for business."
"As I explained to Mr. Gavin last night, my loyalties do not lie with one crown because we are not under any crown on this side o the sea. What I mean by this, is all these local providences can have their flags changed at any given time. To me there are no true nations among these islands, only temporary loyalties. I may not being getting my true meaning across well. I have seen towns taken and then retaken, rebellions throw off all goverment altogether, and some who claim they are loyal turn at the drop of a coin purse. Loyalty, trust, and the like are on an individual basis as far as I concered. Those few who earn my trust can count on me to fulfill any pledge I make." Xark finishes with a few more brief comments on his discussion from the prior night.
"Now onto another topic. I don't mean to pry, but as I feel we might possibly enter into somewhat of a business arrangement, I have a few questions I might ask, the first of which would appear to be an excited subject at the moment, but in brief can someone tell me what has everyone so on edge? Again, I mean not pry, but something that has this much effect on so many would be information any business associate would need know."
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: An Evening within the Albatross   An Evening within the Albatross Icon_minitimeMon Jul 30, 2007 7:03 pm

"Ah yes... Indeed. Let us simply say that the British are forever on our tail. We've long gathered here but I think they are upon us; at least on some level. Few weeks back we were tracked by spies and a number of us were involved. We'd like to keep things a bit closer to the chest. There have been a few strange men wandering this place and there are few that I think we can place full trust in. We've made our arrangements with the French officers of the town so I think all is safe within these walls, but it has us a bit jumpy."

It is immediately clear to everyone except Xark that Dermid has left out perhaps the most important event of Hamish coming up missing. Dermid pulls it off reasonably well although certainly not without fault. He is a man of the streets and his sense of survival is quite keen.

Dermid thinks to himself, the discussion for what action to take regarding Hamish is for closer quarters. This afterall was a gathering so that the prospective merchant could have a drink with other members and recruits of the confederacy.

((Recruits and members are welcomed within the conversation. I would think most, if not all recruits are aware of the Hamish's fate as many were present on the evening of the initiation. From my perspective, go where the story leads - whereever that might be. Have fun!))
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: An Evening within the Albatross   An Evening within the Albatross Icon_minitimeMon Jul 30, 2007 7:14 pm

Xark understands he has been told all the Confederacy feels comfortable telling him at this time so he moves on.

"What can you gents tell me about your current, or past, business ventures? What goods does the confederacy deal most in? Or any of you individually? Which ports are most favorable to your goods" OOC or for that matter on/in which island/port is this place?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: An Evening within the Albatross   An Evening within the Albatross Icon_minitimeMon Jul 30, 2007 10:47 pm

(OOC - At the moment we are on the French controlled island of Martinique)

Murphy had been involved with the Confederacy for such a short time, he had never actually expressed, at length, his future economic plans with any of the members, not even Hamish. In fact, he had never heard much talk at all from any of the members. He was intrigued by Xark's question, but content to sit there and wait for another member to answer.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: An Evening within the Albatross   An Evening within the Albatross Icon_minitimeTue Jul 31, 2007 6:25 pm

During the pause after Xarkun posed his second question there came three knocks on the door.

Willem moved over and opened the slot, "Who's there?"

A muffled voice could be heard from outside but no one could make out the words.

"Ahh yes, the gentlemen from before. Come in, come in. Don't be shy now, here ya have it." Willem shut the slot and pulled the door open. The man who walked through was wearing a dark blue long coat with a 'fleur de lis' on the left lapel. Upon entering he took off his hat, a swashbucklers hat the same color as his coat, then stopped short noticing everyone in the room looking his way.

It was obvious that he had interrupted something and not seeing the MacBane fellow made him realize not only was he out of place, but he knew no one in the room. He did however manage to say "Hello, the names Benoit." before moving off to the side which allowed Willem to close the door and put the cross bar down.

Last edited by on Wed Aug 01, 2007 12:01 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: An Evening within the Albatross   An Evening within the Albatross Icon_minitimeTue Jul 31, 2007 10:52 pm

When the man who called himself Xark had taken a seat at the table and introduced himself to the present members of the Confederacy, Émile was the first to return the favor. Never one to aggrandize himself, he kept it short:

“It is a pleasure to meet you Monsieur Xark,” he began after shaking the man’s hand. “My name is Émile deMontfort, and I am an officer of the Marine Nationale assigned to this ‘Confederacy’ to act as a liaison between its Board of Proprietors and the King’s Amiraux.”

Shortly thereafter, when the others began to introduce themselves to the newcomer, Émile asked their pardon and then excused himself from the table. He intended to speak with Willem about a bottle of wine.

“ Monsieur McDough?”

“Aye?” The man in question appeared from somewhere behind the bar.

After Émile made his request, he was instructed to “‘elp yerself “ to what was stored in the back room. With that, his hopes of finding anything worth drinking vanished into thin air. Never had he found a decent wine that was kept in a back room.

Not more than a few minutes later, Émile returned to the main room with two dusty bottles in hand, somewhat surprised by the quality of their contents. Surprised enough, at least, to overlook the way in which they were stored. But what was infinitely more surprising was the fact that another man had joined their company—a man that Émile recognized.

“Monsieur Bontecou?”
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: An Evening within the Albatross   An Evening within the Albatross Icon_minitimeWed Aug 01, 2007 5:14 am

As the Moon took over the Sky for night to begin, the men at the dock saw 1 last ship pull in over the calm seas into the Port. After 10 minutes a small row boat pulled in and 1 Well dressed French officer Got out. The officer then went over to the Dockmen and Whispered into 1 of thier ears, the dockman relpied by pointing at a Building in the Port Known to the Locals as the Albatross. The man Hurried away but not before he placed 2 coins into the helpful dockmans hand.
The officer then came to a Thick Bolted Wooden door with a slot at the top, the Officer then knocked twice on the door and waited for it to open. but the door did not open the slot at the top thrusted open with a pair of Shifty eyes looking out, The man looking out was Known as Willem, he looked after the Albatross seeing who came in and making sure there was no intruders making trouble. Willem then said to the officer "Monsier Who are you and what is your Business here?", The officer replied "Salut Monsier I am Captain Tolten of Royal Ship Tigre, I have been sent to see a French Naval Officer deMontFort, he should be expecting me." The man the dissappeared for a few moments after closing the Slot, And then the door opened not fully but half way for the 1 man to enter. The man then walked over to the bar and sat down. He signalled over to the bar men and said "Monsier please may you go and fetch Monsier deMontfort and tell him Captain Tolten, sent from France is here." The barmen then poured the man a Pint and Disappeared off. As Tolten looked around he saw that the Albatross was on Edge of any stranger, so he made sure that the locals were eased by his hands remaining aways from his sword and pistol.... So he Started to wait and enjoyed his drink....
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: An Evening within the Albatross   An Evening within the Albatross Icon_minitimeWed Aug 01, 2007 11:14 am

"deMontfort?" Benoit's voice was barely above a whisper so as not to disturb the others. "Wha- what are you doing here? How long has it been?" He was completely surprised by the appearance of his childhood acquaintance, but pleasantly so. "You are a most welcomed familiararity in this sea of..."

There came another knock to the Albatross' door, this time only two knocks, but Willem still made his way over to check it out. The man who entered was well dressed and appeared to be a French officer, he took a seat at the bar and spoke briefly with Willem.

After setting the man up with a drink Willem moved around the bar and came towards Benoit and Emile.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: An Evening within the Albatross   An Evening within the Albatross Icon_minitimeWed Aug 01, 2007 8:16 pm

During the time it took for the latest arrival (another officer, by the look of him) to make his way to the bar and for Willem to pour him a drink, Émile and Benoit moved further towards the side where they could speak with some semblance of privacy. It had, after all, been years since they had last seen each other; and what seemed ages since they had had a proper conversation. Though Benoit did manage to mention some of what he had been up to, it seemed that they would have to wait a bit longer.

“Emile,” the old barman began, standing a polite distance away from them, “the man at the bar, a Cap’n Tolten, says you might be expectin’ ‘im, an’ ‘e’d like to speak with you.”

“Merci, Willem. Please tell Monsieur Tolten that I shall be with him in a moment.” When the man nodded and began to return to the bar, Émile turned back towards Benoit and said, “Forgive me, but we’ll have to cut this short for now… I assume that you’re here about the Confederacy? Our Proprieter-General is… otherwise indisposed at the moment, but I’m sure Monsieur Gavin would be more than happy to speak with you. He’s sitting at the head of that table over there.”

Once he was assured his old friend was situated, Émile begged pardon for the third time that night before making his way to the man at the bar.

“Capitaine Tolten? I was told you wished to speak with me.”
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: An Evening within the Albatross   An Evening within the Albatross Icon_minitimeWed Aug 01, 2007 9:57 pm

The man Emile indicated was somewhat gaunt, but he showed energy. Benoit guessed he was recovering from some illness or worked himself overly hard.

"Mister Gavin?" He asked, holding out his hand as he approached. Benoit's English had improved since the last time he had been to this particular pub, but he still stumbled over some of his words.

Last edited by on Thu Aug 02, 2007 9:56 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: An Evening within the Albatross   An Evening within the Albatross Icon_minitimeThu Aug 02, 2007 9:55 am

Tolten stood to greet Captain Demontfort, "Bonjour Monsier, I have this from france to give to you", Totlen took out a Pachage and Revealed an un open letter.
"As you can see Monsier, I have come from France, our most beautiful country, to join in aiding the Confederecy here in the Carrabain, I was Told you were to expect me, but as far most messages have been inturrpted as myself was attacked by the scum of the English Patroling the seas from Europe." Tolten Stands to attention infront of his new Compaignion. "I am here under your Orders Monsier"
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: An Evening within the Albatross   An Evening within the Albatross Icon_minitimeFri Aug 03, 2007 10:39 am

Dermid rose and met Benoit.

"It is good to finally meet you. You may not have seen me the first night but I was there in the back as you had your brief encounter with Hamish. He spoke well of you and it good to finally meet the man in person."

Slowly he begins to make his way through the gathered patrons of the Albatross. Introductions are performed and all are welcomed.

"So Xarkun... You have asked questions of the Confederacy. If these were the members of such group, what would wish to know?"

With that he gestures to Emile and to the dusty bottles in hand, obviously interested in the contents and hopeful that it would serve to lessen any tension still within the room or at least divert some attention off of Xarkun and allow him to feel more comfortable in these surroundings.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: An Evening within the Albatross   An Evening within the Albatross Icon_minitimeFri Aug 03, 2007 7:12 pm

"Yes, well 'if' this would be the group I have heard of," he says with a wry grin, "I'd like to know a bit more about what areas of trade, production, and business such a group deals in. Also, which ports are receptive to your ships and more importantly which tend to be more profitable. Then again, the proftiable ports may be information kept for another time as any good trader would not quickly give out such information. But I wouldnt think there much harm in know the cargo and its means of protection."
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: An Evening within the Albatross   An Evening within the Albatross Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

An Evening within the Albatross
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next