HomePortalGallerySearchRegisterLog in

What will the End Result Be?

Go down 

What are your expectations for the "success" of POTBS
Smashing success - not WoW big but close
What will the End Result Be? Vote_lcap14%What will the End Result Be? Vote_rcap
 14% [ 3 ]
Very successful - on the order of LOTRO with a very wide audience and very good overall reviews
What will the End Result Be? Vote_lcap19%What will the End Result Be? Vote_rcap
 19% [ 4 ]
Successful - A good number of initial sales with scores more in the upper 80's.
What will the End Result Be? Vote_lcap38%What will the End Result Be? Vote_rcap
 38% [ 8 ]
Cultish Classic - Smaller release sales and due to different system approaches, a smaller audience but within that audience a classic - more than a year of enjoyment.
What will the End Result Be? Vote_lcap24%What will the End Result Be? Vote_rcap
 24% [ 5 ]
Cultish Good - Smaller release and very reasonable success with long-term support. Not a classic but very entertaining for many months.
What will the End Result Be? Vote_lcap5%What will the End Result Be? Vote_rcap
 5% [ 1 ]
Cultish Failure - Smaller release and a bit poorer reviews followed by a real lack of successful implementation that leaves most people hanging rather longing for more.
What will the End Result Be? Vote_lcap0%What will the End Result Be? Vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 21

AuthorMessage

What will the End Result Be? Empty
PostSubject: What will the End Result Be?   What will the End Result Be? Icon_minitimeFri Aug 10, 2007 6:05 am

Here is a broad based poll as to where people think this thing will stand up in larger scheme of game success.

Vote for your top 2! Just to spur on more discussion.

Last edited by on Fri Aug 10, 2007 9:58 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Hamish MacBane
Founder
Founder
Hamish MacBane

Number of posts : 456
Registration date : 2007-04-14

Character sheet
Locations:
Production:
Requirements:

PostSubject: Re: What will the End Result Be?   What will the End Result Be? Icon_minitimeFri Aug 10, 2007 9:24 am

While I wouldn't consider LoTRO a success really (man that game needs some major work), I think that this game will be successful, but I worry that it doesn't appeal to the widest base of gamers out there. PvP is a major componant and many will get drawn by that, but it mainly grabs the Eve crowd and that isn't a very big crowd really. The WoW pvpers are waiting for WAR as that will be a major PvP game as well. So we hope for the best of course. I think success is a loose term though. A game can be successful and draw a profit even if the audience isn't huge by WoW standards.

Back to top Go down
https://highlandconfederacy.forumotion.com

PostSubject: Re: What will the End Result Be?   What will the End Result Be? Icon_minitimeFri Aug 10, 2007 10:01 am

Ok... maybe not a perfect example of a second tier game, but I still think it is a good example.

From a revenue standpoint, it has done very well (or so it seems). From a ratings / review standpoint, again it is solid and has gotten overall very good marks. Regardless of whether it IS a very good game or not, any developer would take that level of success and run happily to the bank - no questions asked. It was a very positive release in the mainstream game community - or at least that was my impression.

So the first three are more of a financial outlook and the bottom three are more - how will it perform within its initial concept audience back when development began.
Back to top Go down
Hamish MacBane
Founder
Founder
Hamish MacBane

Character sheet
Locations:
Production:
Requirements:

PostSubject: Re: What will the End Result Be?   What will the End Result Be? Icon_minitimeFri Aug 10, 2007 10:31 am

It probably is the most successful game Turbine has ever had, especially since Asheron's Call, but that isn't saying a lot. D&D Online started off strong but is pretty much rubbish now. I do think LoTRO has potential as it's pretty much a Middle Earth WoW so they took what worked and copied it, their economy is in the toilet and I don't see the influx of people staying as long as the glaring issues stay in place. But that is my assessment after leaving the game. Basically I played the beta and it was a better game in beta than it has been since it went live. To me that is working backwards and leaves a bad taste in my mouth. I never crashed in beta, I crashed constantly in the live version. Prices were more sensible in beta also, the economy worked alot better. So I guess I'm jaded from beta. Smile Anyway, this isn't about LoTRO so I'll stop now. Hehe.

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What will the End Result Be?   What will the End Result Be? Icon_minitimeFri Aug 10, 2007 7:41 pm

I'm guessing successful to highly successful. Whole SOE thing, while driving some people away, will definitely draw in many players who would never have heard of the game otherwise. Furthermore, its getting some pretty good (p)reviews from all of the E3 stuff, etc. Assuming that the basic mechanics work out as well as the devs think they will, I imagine this game will make a name for itself in the industry. It won't hit WoW level, but then again, its not made to appeal to the masses, who we arrogantly consider ourselves to be above.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What will the End Result Be?   What will the End Result Be? Icon_minitimeSat Aug 11, 2007 5:35 pm

I think it will be succsessful i just really hope they keep they deadline this time otherwise i believe alot of people will be turning away from it. let us see if they can make a pre-xmas release!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What will the End Result Be?   What will the End Result Be? Icon_minitimeMon Aug 13, 2007 5:07 pm

Yeah, it kinda depends on the release date too. Publishing it at the same time with the new episode for half life or something similiar would be unwise.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What will the End Result Be?   What will the End Result Be? Icon_minitimeThu Aug 16, 2007 4:14 am

Captain Aldrick Marlo wrote:
I think it will be succsessful i just really hope they keep they deadline this time otherwise i believe alot of people will be turning away from it. let us see if they can make a pre-xmas release!

I tend to agree. I think once the gamers get their grubby lil hands on PotBS I think it will be a very popular MMO. Only time will tell if it has the mass mainstream appeal that WoW has achieved. I tend to look at WoW as the MacDonalds of MMOs. However, I think most true gamers are looking for something with a bit more to savor than WoW offers.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What will the End Result Be?   What will the End Result Be? Icon_minitimeThu Aug 16, 2007 5:56 am

I agree, I just wonder what percentage of the market falls into the "true gamers" category. I'm thinking 5% or so. PS: Overall I think the poll is pretty close to my personal guesses. I wondered if the poll would be much more positive and I think it is good that we have a general collar on expectations and don't expect the world.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What will the End Result Be?   What will the End Result Be? Icon_minitimeThu Aug 16, 2007 6:47 pm

I don't really know, but there is another pirate MMO coming out soon (entering Phase 2 beta in September) that will be some competition and it has a tie-in with a certain pirate movie franchise that should cause some problems.

If the other MMO plays like the game Age of Pirates, PotBS is toast.

Oh, and I voted Cult classic, 1 year since I have many grave concerns about the economy working like it is planned.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What will the End Result Be?   What will the End Result Be? Icon_minitimeThu Aug 16, 2007 6:58 pm

I have to agree the timing of delivery of this game is very crucial to credibility and major profits.
This holiday season buying starts in earnist first of oct. to week after christmas. So as you see the time frame is pushed hard as I write this post.
I feel it has no real competitors on the immediate horizon, but other games expansions can cut into their hoped for revenues. Timing is everything, besides a quality product.

What will the End Result Be? Scots_10

What will the End Result Be? Scots_11
Back to top Go down
Hamish MacBane
Founder
Founder
Hamish MacBane

Character sheet
Locations:
Production:
Requirements:

PostSubject: Re: What will the End Result Be?   What will the End Result Be? Icon_minitimeThu Aug 16, 2007 7:53 pm

avidday wrote:
I don't really know, but there is another pirate MMO coming out soon (entering Phase 2 beta in September) that will be some competition and it has a tie-in with a certain pirate movie franchise that should cause some problems.

If the other MMO plays like the game Age of Pirates, PotBS is toast.

Oh, and I voted Cult classic, 1 year since I have many grave concerns about the economy working like it is planned.

I don't think they'll have any competition to PotBS. Mainly because PotC being made by disney means it'll be aimed at kids. It'll have outside world tie ins (this has already been seen in screenshots) and I don't think serious gamers will take it all that seriously. I don't think it'll hurt our game, though it might take the impatient kids looking mainly for a click and play type MMO that is easy to play and learn and where they can show everyone how leet they are.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What will the End Result Be?   What will the End Result Be? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

What will the End Result Be?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Highland Confederacy Guest Forums :: The Dockside Inn-
Jump to: