Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Erasmus de Brouwer

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage

Erasmus de Brouwer - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Erasmus de Brouwer   Erasmus de Brouwer - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 11, 2007 3:25 pm

((Actually its something we talked over for a while, and we decided that its in Martinique.))
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Erasmus de Brouwer   Erasmus de Brouwer - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 11, 2007 4:46 pm

At the invite to sit McBain grabs a nearby stool as everyone shuffles to make room for one more. Sitting down, elbows on tabletop and mug in hand, he nods first to Wilheim.

“Pleasure to make yer acquaintance Herr von Somborn, Ah did indeed expect a Scotsman rather than a Hessian. Methinks there be a tale in why that’s so, is there not?” The smile on McBain’s face made it clear the question was rhetorical and intended as jocular rather than interrogative.

Then, quickly turning his attention to the man who invited him sit down, he said, “An’ me thanks to ye for the offer o’ both seat and drink, Grateful Ah’m to accept. Ah too suffer the malady of a suspicious mind from time to time, but me most recent bout be easing the longer Ah spend at the Albatross.

“If I may speak freely,” he said seriously to both no one in particular and all at the table. Me short time in Martinique tells me perrrhaps suspicion be an epidemic at present. Is all well w’ ye or do ye guard against peril? Ye have me sword if it comes to the latter.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Erasmus de Brouwer   Erasmus de Brouwer - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 11, 2007 7:01 pm

Wilhelm's countenance takes on a serious air as he responds to Jack's question.

"As of late, we have had no major problems, but we have found that it pays to be cautious at all times, especially when welcoming someone into your home. In the past year, we have had several untoward happenings, including the disappearance of our founder, Hamish MacBane. We were still small and lacking in support when it occurred, so there were few available to fill his place. It is my hope that we can find him safely. We have been trying relentlessly to find him, but have had little luck as of yet. There are simply too many possibilities to cover them all in a short period of time. It comes with having an enemy many times bigger than us, I suppose."

Last edited by on Fri Oct 12, 2007 12:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Erasmus de Brouwer   Erasmus de Brouwer - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 11, 2007 9:02 pm

It had been far too long, at least in Émile’s opinion, since he had last sat down with his comrades for a drink in the Albatross. Although as an officer in the Marine Nationale he did have responsibilities and duties other than those directly related to the Confederacy, he knew they hardly qualified as an excuse for having stayed away for so long. In order to make up for it, he had arranged for himself a few hours of free time.

Upon entering said establishment, he was pleased to see that the inn had become a far happier place during his absence. His last visit had been just after Hamish’s disappearance, and the atmosphere then had been a far heavier one. Now there was even music and singing.

After a moment or two spent taking in the benign change, Émile refocused his attention on the bar’s patrons. His eyes passed quickly over most, lingered on a few he recognized, and finally came to rest on three familiar faces. Their three owners sat at a table with two others he didn’t recognize—new recruits, he assumed.

“Pardon me Messieurs,” Émile said as he approached the group, “is there perhaps room for another?”
Back to top Go down
OxBaker
Privateer Captain
Privateer Captain
OxBaker

Number of posts : 410
Registration date : 2007-09-10

Character sheet
Locations: Grenville
Production: Hemp, Rope, Canvas, Cotton, Sails, Textile Unrest Bundles
Requirements: Tar

PostSubject: Re: Erasmus de Brouwer   Erasmus de Brouwer - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 12, 2007 11:23 am

Aidan winces at hearing the name of God used in such a colorful manner while in his presence but mantains a smile as he accepts the seat offered by the stranger. "Say nothing you old man" Aidan thinks to himself, "You know well that there was no offence intended in the remark and while with the Confederacy you are no more in the company of any stuffy clergy but yourself".

And so Aidan exchanges names and plesantries with Erasmus and sits to listen to the rest of the conversation.

"Ah, good friend Emile, do have a seat! The craftsman that you recommended me was more than capable and has crafted the flag I requested to most exacting detail. You will see it flying proudly above the OxBaker the next time you visit the harbour. I dare say the British will learn to fear it in the weeks and months to come."

Then leaning into the group Aidan lowers his voice and says "I fear Wilhelm expresses more truth than he may even know. Part of the reason that the Archbishop felt that the Confederacy would be an excellent candidate for dealing with in our "endevours" is in part due to the grumblings we have heard from British sympathizers to the True Church. They say the British have begun to take note of the Confederacy and the growth that is experienced herein. In truth it scares them immensly and cowards that they are, it's said they would take steps to have us brought down before we can grow to full strength and in turn bring that strength to bear against them. I believe that with the French Crown and Rome itself backing us, for the moment they may not yet move against us en masse but that day may come sooner than we would hope and so we must do what we can to draw all good men and women, be they Irish, Scot or French, to our side as quickly as be possible."
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Erasmus de Brouwer   Erasmus de Brouwer - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 12, 2007 8:21 pm

“Merci beaucoup, your Excellency. The man can be quite daft at times, but I thought he might be able to help.”

As he took the offered seat, Émile nodded a greeting to the others at the table. He had planned to follow it with a quick introduction, but the bishop spoke first. Judging from the nature of his discourse, Émile realized he had not stumbled in upon pleasantries, but business.

OxBaker wrote:
"I fear Wilhelm expresses more truth than he may even know. Part of the reason that the Archbishop felt that the Confederacy would be an excellent candidate for dealing with in our "endevours" is in part due to the grumblings we have heard from British sympathizers to the True Church. They say the British have begun to take note of the Confederacy and the growth that is experienced herein. In truth it scares them immensly and cowards that they are, it's said they would take steps to have us brought down before we can grow to full strength and in turn bring that strength to bear against them. I believe that with the French Crown and Rome itself backing us, for the moment they may not yet move against us en masse but that day may come sooner than we would hope and so we must do what we can to draw all good men and women, be they Irish, Scot or French, to our side as quickly as be possible."

“I too have heard murmurs of the English’s growing ‘interest’ in our little trading company and I also agree that we are still relatively safe from open conflict, but they do have less overt means to cause us harm at their disposal. But perhaps this is not the best time to discuss such matters… There is always a chance that we may be overheard by someone with a less than concurring opinion of our cause.

“That man by the door, for instance, seems at best ill at ease. He may, perhaps, be one of that sort…”
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Erasmus de Brouwer   Erasmus de Brouwer - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Oct 13, 2007 9:15 am

Upon hearing the reports of both the Bishop and Frenchman, Jack slowly lets out a breath he didn’t realize he’d been holding and takes a long swallow of the stout recently provided by Erasmus.

News of its missing founder explained why the Confederacy’s proprietor-general was nae Scots. No one back home ever told him how it was started or who were its leaders. No surprise there, Jack thought, Ah’m lucky Ah was told the right island fer to set course.

“Please to make yer acquaintance, Monsieur”, McBain says looking at the Frenchman just sat down. “Ah be Jack McBain, docked from Scotland this very day with provisions for the Confederacy from Clan Chattan.

Then remembering the man earlier making ready to help with cargo he turns to him, “Belay yer gloves, sir. No need to offload afor mornin’. Me vessel is the sloop Hornet and we’ll warehouse on the morrow. But, thank ye for yur willingness, sir. Ah will need ta know where ye want it put.”

Jack turns his head towards the man standing by the door. He did appear a bit surely, was that a small squeeze box over his shoulder, he mused?

All an' all I'm in a tricky situation, Jack thinks, time to move slow and easy until Ah learn who Ah can trust and who Ah can't.
Back to top Go down
OxBaker
Privateer Captain
Privateer Captain
OxBaker

Number of posts : 410
Registration date : 2007-09-10

Character sheet
Locations: Grenville
Production: Hemp, Rope, Canvas, Cotton, Sails, Textile Unrest Bundles
Requirements: Tar

PostSubject: Re: Erasmus de Brouwer   Erasmus de Brouwer - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 17, 2007 11:47 am

"Ah, fear not Emile, we are well enough removed from the rest of the tables that one would be in need of angel ears to hear our lowered tones. Understandably we should perhaps avoid specifics for the time being but at the least, general strategies for dealing with any British threat which may arise are prudent. And if this means one of us taking the first 'leap of faith' then it may as well be the one with the least years to lose as a result."

Aidan proceeds to pull a half eaten end of bread from his robe and begins to pull off crumbs and arrange them across the table.

"If you will endulge an old mans ramblings I should like to start with some nautical tactics in dealing with the British Naval fleets. I have found that the British rely far to heavily in the strength of thier guns. They pack so many in thier decks and hulls that they manuver no better than ice bergs. Further the number of guns they must maintain usually prevents them from being able to invest in quality workmanship. Rather than using guns of any extended range and accuracy they rely on numbers to quickly bring down thier opponents. Now this may be well and good against other bulky naval fleets but if we make good use of fast, manuverable ships with accurate guns of longer range, we can keep moving and wear them down from a distance while they flounder to try and bring thier guns within range."

Arranging some of the crumbs in a straight line Aidan continues. "As an example, a tactic they favour is variations of line formations. Thus proteccting thier weaker sterns and afts. The weakness in this is at the ends. If we use our speed to keep ourselves at one or both ends of the line and stagger our ships in a curve formation around the end like so.."

( ---

"It will prevent thier end ships from presenting only thier starboard or port to all of us at once and we may thus eat away at the afts and sterns of the foremost vessles in thier line. Further it will cause ships father down the line from us to have to break formation in order to attempt to move within range of our curve of ships. And by keeping some of our larger and stronger ships out at the ends of our curves we may be prevented from having to break formation too quickly ourselves."

"I hope I have explained my thoughts adequitly and would be most interetsted to hear your opinions on them as we all any tactics you have found to be effective against British strength?"

Aidan then sits back to listen while he gnaws on the remaining end of bread.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Erasmus de Brouwer   Erasmus de Brouwer - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 19, 2007 12:14 pm

Jack breaks his concentration on the bread crumb formation. “Ye have a good idea, Bishop” he declares. “The wind would need be blowin’on a broad or stern reach for them and us to leeward of ‘em. I’d rather be windward in a fight, but it could work if we find ‘em like that.”

Continuing to think it through Jack adds, “If they got half a brain it wouldn’t be too long afore their lead ship tries to fall off in order to bring their broadside to bear. I like the curve you give our formation, Bishop. It keeps our broadsides hammering their bow even as they turn. If we successfully take oot their sails afore they complete it they’ll be inna terrible fix.”
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Erasmus de Brouwer   Erasmus de Brouwer - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Oct 20, 2007 5:32 pm

*Jasper perks up from a stuper and has a twenkle in his eye*

"Say Jack, what is the cargo space of the Hornet?"

*Thinking this would brake the stail talk of combat after having bad memories of losing friends to grand combat tactics of his own...*

*Jasper thinking it to dark to see, lets a lone tear escapes his eye and makes it done his face before he comes to relies he might show weakness by doing so and rubes it away and starts mumbling inaudible words*

*Jaspers nose is tickled by something in the air and he sneezes*

"Excuse me."
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Erasmus de Brouwer   Erasmus de Brouwer - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Oct 20, 2007 8:15 pm

“Not near as large as I would like her ta be friend Jasper. Me cousin Will, he sails as Hornet's mate, can fit 30 tons if he has the right cargo and a lot of time fer ta' job. Frankly, it’s our clan’s hope to both restore James’, he pauses and grins, “an' acquire bigger ships!”

He thinks for a moment before continuing and says “It’s getting late and even though Ah told Will to take some time shore-side Ah know he’ll wait ‘til Ah return. If ye have a bit o’ time Jasper, perhaps ye’d accompany me back to the Hornet now? She’s fast, she is. Me an' Will ’d be honored to show ye about her.”

With that Jack raises his mug in salute to Erasmus “Again, Ah thank ‘e Erasmus for ta bitter, ta seat, and ta welcome, sir. May we liberate cargo and sink ta' ships of England ‘til it hurts!”

Jack then stands and turns towards Herr Wilhelm von Somborn. Speaking with all the formality he can muster he says, “Sir, me blade, me ship and me loyalty be yers if ye will have them. Ah ask only you use them to restore James, defeat ta’ English,” with a grin adds, “and make us all rich!”

With that Jack McBain bows deeply before the Proprietor-General of The Highland Confederacy.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Erasmus de Brouwer   Erasmus de Brouwer - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Oct 21, 2007 3:03 am

*Jaspers eye get really big and twinkle*

"O a tour of a ship, just my excuse for getting out into the sun..."

"I would be more then happy to look over the Hornet."

*dusts off his shoulders gets up from his chair and stretchs a little reallining the bones in his body and letting out a groan*

"OK I bid you all a fond farwell and I shale be back (nods to Erasmus, Wilhelm, and the Bishop.)"

*Just as Jasper is about to leave William walks up to him asking for the money for the booze Jasper drank and Jasper starts looking for his bag of coin and finds it and pays the tab, and with a nod he bids William well and heads out for the Hornet with Jack*
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Erasmus de Brouwer   Erasmus de Brouwer - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Oct 21, 2007 6:07 am

Wilhelm lets out a short, good natured laugh as he too stands and faces Jack.

"Three goals we have in common, I assure you. My only objection is to liberating cargo until it hurts. I would much rather liberate cargo until I am old and wealthy. Or until the English see reason, but we can't be expecting that anytime soon."

Straightening up, Wilhelm's face takes on a more serious air."

"Mr. McBain of Dingwall, It is my pleasure as Proprietor-General of the Highland Confederacy to welcome you once again. May your actions be of credit to the Confederacy, to the Clan McBain, and to your king."

With a twinkle in his eye, he continues,
"Now you'd best hurry or Jasper is going to get lost looking for your ship without a guide."
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Erasmus de Brouwer   Erasmus de Brouwer - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Oct 21, 2007 7:11 am

A satisfying sense of purpose and belonging floods into Jack with the Proprietor-General's words. Flashing a grin he returns, "Aye, sir...wealth to us with plenty o' pain to the English."

Nodding in respect to the Bishop he says, "My thanks to thee, Bishop, for leading me to this table. Please let me know when next ye say Mass. Me soul is in need of it".

With that Jack walks first to the bar where he places a few small coins on top and wispers a word to Willam before turning and heading out. The man he saw earlier still stands quietly in the shadows close by the door. "Hmm, that is a squeeze-box he has on his shoulder. Wish he had played us a tune", he thought to himself.

Jack opens the door, steps into the night air and hurries to catch up with Jasper.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Erasmus de Brouwer   Erasmus de Brouwer - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Oct 21, 2007 2:05 pm

A cool wind brings Erasmus back to his senses, and the stare in his eyes suddenly comes to an end as the door of the Albatross is brutally shut. As he looks up and next to the table, he spots the grin on Wilhelm's face.

Erasmus clears his throat.

"Wilhelm, my new friend, it seems you lost me somewhere between the bishop and the clan. Hearing naval tactics being discussed brings back fond memories of my exploits in the North Sea. I hope I will be able to stand by your side when it is needed.

Is there anything else you wish to discuss while we have a last keg? I must be off to my ship, for the quarantine will probably soon be lifted. My men will be eager to visit the albatross too, I believe."
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Erasmus de Brouwer   Erasmus de Brouwer - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 23, 2007 5:23 am

Meanwhile heavy steps are heard from the door and suddenly it swings open.
"Hello there mates! Enjoying the evening?"
It was Olaf, with a cask in his other hand and some salted meat on the other.
"Heres the supplies you asked for Willem."
Descending to the cold basement he shouts to the proprietor.
"I could really use a cold one, you know."
Willem quickly gets the hint. After the hard work he sits next to Wilhelm and Erasmus. He had heard of him but still remained a bit edgy near the newcomer, such is his nature.

"You know Wilhelm, somebodys got to work here too while you and the fellas get drunk, thats all you seem to do nowdays..."

Then he takes a sip and gives a friendly smirk.

"Well did I miss something?"
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Erasmus de Brouwer   Erasmus de Brouwer - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 26, 2007 5:16 pm

"Miss something", Erasmus sneers as he loses all control over the situation and his senses, "pfrt, only the death of my wife and children ... a mere lapse in the games the meaningful play."

As his eyes wander through his empty jug he considers drawing his sword and let others end unfinished business. "Wasn't there a clergyman around? Someone one could turn to in the hour of need? Tell me ... my fierce companions, is there ever a reason to keep to one's ideals ... even if it seals the fate of those you love?"

His eyes search the room but it's all just a fog, then all turns to black as he gently dozes off.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Erasmus de Brouwer   Erasmus de Brouwer - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Oct 27, 2007 3:00 am

Quickly realising the seriousnes of the situation, he draws back.

"I think I owe you an apology there... , I didnt mean to insult you... if I only had known of your demise... I am truly sorry."

Seeing Erasmus doze off, "Well, that wasnt a good start."
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Erasmus de Brouwer   Erasmus de Brouwer - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Oct 27, 2007 6:20 am

Patting Olaf on the shoulder, Wilhelm says,

"Don't let it worry you too much. I think he's been a might on edge due to the quarantine, and trying to keep up with the drinking of a highlander likely didn't help matters. I think perhaps he is used to gentler drinks than we serve here, yes?"

Looking at Erasmus with a slightly concerned expression,

"Now how in the blazes are we going to get him back on his ship before the harbor master comes by in the morning to lift the quarantine? Somehow, I don't think the first mate can afford to say that the captain is sick."
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Erasmus de Brouwer   Erasmus de Brouwer - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Oct 27, 2007 7:32 am

“No… That wouldn’t do at all… ” Émile began, slowly, as the smallest intimation of a smile began to play at his lips. “Perhaps we can smuggle him back aboard his ship in a crate of food? I am sure Willem has one he can spare us.”

Said innkeeper took that moment to appear with an unstoppered, half-full bottle of wine and one of the few examples of stemware in his vast collection of mugs, steins, and other assorted cups. Despite the poor timing, Émile expressing his thanks and then poured himself a small glass.

“Then there is always the route of bribery… though I’m not sure how easily the harbormaster will lend himself to it.”
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Erasmus de Brouwer   Erasmus de Brouwer - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Oct 27, 2007 7:42 am

Wilhelm mirrors Émile's smile with one of his own.

"I don't think anything that elaborate will be necessary. Let him rest for a few hours and then dunk him until he's sober. As long as he heads back before dawn, I would imagine there should be no problem. Any volunteers?"
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Erasmus de Brouwer   Erasmus de Brouwer - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Oct 27, 2007 7:47 am

"Id say we should play it the safe way. And I just might have the right cabbage delivery to do the job..."
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Erasmus de Brouwer   Erasmus de Brouwer - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 30, 2007 5:56 pm

“Cabbage,” Émile said as his smile broadened, “I am sure Monsieur de Brouwer would very much appreciate that. In fact, I can think of no better…”

But Émile did not finish his thought. His attention had been entirely diverted towards The Albatross’s latest arrival. As the man passed through the door into the light, it became evident that was quite young—it was doubtful that had even yet to see his twentieth year. From both his dress and manner, it was clear that he was French. Not another officer, but a freetrader.

“Christophe?” Émile asked, lifting himself from his seat.

“Bonsoir, frâter,” the man replied in a good-natured tone, “J'avais espéré que je vous trouverais ici.”

((Translation: "I had hoped that I would find you here."))
((To be continued in Copper Penny Publishing.))
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Erasmus de Brouwer   Erasmus de Brouwer - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Erasmus de Brouwer
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2