Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

A girl named "Barry"

Go down 
AuthorMessage

A girl named "Barry" Empty
PostSubject: A girl named "Barry"   A girl named "Barry" Icon_minitimeTue Jan 01, 2008 12:12 pm

To be read with an Irish brogue
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Finbar's father came from a long, proud line of men named Fionnbhárr or some variant of it. You can imagine that made family reunions somewhat of a confusing affair. In any case, our Finbar made the unfortunate mistake of being born Fionnbarr's (as the man was called, or simply "Barra" to his mates) first child. She made the additional mistake of being Barra's only child, after the wee lass's mother died in childbirth.

Therefore, despite several unimportant personages' strong urgings to the contrary, Barra named the child Finbar, irrespective of the fact that the child was a girl. The man was a bit of a booze madra but I'm sure that had nothing to do with his decision.

In an attempt to feminize the lass, and correct the wrong that had been done to her by her father, the aforementioned female personages collectively decided to bestow upon her the additional name of Elisa. They introduced her as such whenever possible -- and the lass's father wasn't around much to see his daughter grow up, so it was possible often -- but the name never quite stuck.

It probably didn't help that people -- especially young lads -- derisively called her "Barry" behind her back, when they thought she wasn't listening. A few unsavory souls called her it to her front, as well. Indeed, Finbar's true name was public knowledge and even a local joke. Only out-of-towners could be fooled by the exasperated old ladies called out "Elisa!"

And they did call her that often, especially when she ran away from her chores, responsibilities, and her once-a-month bath. Finbar's family had lived in servitude for almost as long as there had been servants in Ireland, so it came as quite a surprise to most when she acted "wild" and did everything short of outright rebellion against her masters. After the first beating, she knew better than to try that again (or, in her own mind, wait until it was truly worth it). She did loathe them, though, each and every one of them, especially the British. All but save for one...

Rosalind Quinn. A prim and proper English lady, even at the age of 12. It's true that it was a series of unfortunate events that led to Rosie being in Ireland, but it would ultimately lead to a great friendship that was good for both lasses. For Rosie, it improved the confidence, independent spirit, and forward thinking tendancies she'd already had but hardly nurtured. For Barry, it curbed some of her more wild and troublesome ways -- she even willingly took baths when asked to! Although the two were the same age, with Rosie just a few months' Barry's senior, most agreed that Rosie had the discipline and deportment of one far beyond her years. These traits did not rub off onto Barry.

Oh, I'm sorry, you were looking for a tale of how that pirating lass of no more than 16 years of age, going by the name of Finbar or more infamously known as Barry, got her start in that disreputable business? You should have been more specific! That, my mate, will cost you another five of those pretty gold coins I saw peeking out of your money purse.

((OOC: Character Note: Rosie will be my British Privateer, hopefully on the same server as my Highland Confederacy character if at all possible. As a pirate, her nickname will be Roz rather than Rosie. She'll become a Privateer because she wants to clear her once-noble family's debts, but also because she's secretly a thrillseeker and is trying to avoid being married off at her mother's earliest convenience. "Rosalind" subject to spelling change, depending on what I can set for my character name.))

((OOC: Due to insurmountable "error 5001" installation difficulties and my own changing real life situation, I won't get to play these characters anytime in the near future, but who knows, maybe some day? I hope you accept this post as the sum of my dreaming during the time that I thought I'd be able to get the god-forsaken thing to work.))
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: A girl named "Barry"   A girl named "Barry" Icon_minitimeTue Jan 01, 2008 4:29 pm

Five gold coins for the sharing of your musings be a bargain, Lass. Indeed, with anticipation I await to see more of Barry and Rosie weaving their mischief in and out of the various threads found here. How and why did Barry slide into piracy? What possessed her friend Rosie to become an English privateer? Did the two of them ever meet in battle on the burning sea?

Tis a pleasure to have ye aboard, IrishLass

Cap'n Jack McBain
Highland Confederacy
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: A girl named "Barry"   A girl named "Barry" Icon_minitimeThu Jan 03, 2008 8:29 pm

I will set aside my 5db for the day of your return. Please be well.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: A girl named "Barry"   A girl named "Barry" Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

A girl named "Barry"
Page 1 of 1