Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Not long to go now *twitch*

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage

Not long to go now *twitch* - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Not long to go now *twitch*   Not long to go now *twitch* - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 04, 2008 10:11 pm

My debts are mostly ficticious. Companies chasing me for interest payments that never needed to be paid, trying to get me to pay them because the company that i paid the loan to went bust. And they can't get it from them. Others are debts that should have been paid by insurances but they found a loop hole not to pay out... its all racketeering, companies trying to use the law to steal money have absolutely no right to. And they know it. So i stopped paying about 5 years ago and no I am just waiting for court time to finally lay them all to rest.

All the debts i feel i actually owed i have paid off and the only one remaining is my hire purchase of the car. Over its lifetime i feel it is worth the money i am paying for it. If i hired the same vehicle, at the end of the 3 years it wouldn't be mine and it would cost me nearly 3 times more to hire it. So overall i am feeling good about it. Also whilst i continue to honour the payments, my credit rating improves. Bankruptcy will just finally clear everything to zero and give me a date i can finally see light at the end of the tunnel.

Theres people where i live in far worse debt, losing thier homes, cars, computers...if i lost my pc i'd go insane. Or.. more insane perhaps Wink
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Not long to go now *twitch*   Not long to go now *twitch* - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 04, 2008 11:12 pm

I ordered the pre-order box some days ago, but alas... It's backordered, and it'll take 1-2 weeks. And I finally got a new computer too, so goodbye to my horrible loading times.

Capt. N. Gaunson
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Not long to go now *twitch*   Not long to go now *twitch* - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 04, 2008 11:20 pm

Congratulations, it's always nice getting a new computer.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Not long to go now *twitch*   Not long to go now *twitch* - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 04, 2008 11:34 pm

Do you get "female" captains?

Captainess?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Not long to go now *twitch*   Not long to go now *twitch* - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 05, 2008 12:13 am

So you're getting BLIZZARDS in Scotland..down ere' where I live, the ground doesn't even freeze!! Much less snow! We haven't had a blizzard in I don't know how long!! I mean, it's scary! Its about 50-60 degrees in winter here usually, sometimes it gets colder..the coldest night we had was last night, when the waterpipes froze up for the first time. Oh, by the way, I forgot to tell you all in my introductory letter in the recruitment office, Argyll Campbell (his forum name here) is my uncle! So if you ever want to tell him something, tell me, if you want to tell me something and ye can't, tell him, its good about having an uncle who has the same interests. But yeah, the snow is very few down here...the deepest we had this year, was mebbe...roughly 2 inches mebbe, I don't know, but i'm amazed that you guys have BLIZZARDS! I've never seen one before, can ye tell me what one's like Ruggy?Question
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Not long to go now *twitch*   Not long to go now *twitch* - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 05, 2008 2:06 am

Close your eyes just before you step into a cold shower. That's what it feels like.

Oh wait...all scottish weather is like that.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Not long to go now *twitch*   Not long to go now *twitch* - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 05, 2008 7:36 am

Ruggy wrote:
Do you get "female" captains?

Captainess?

Anyone know if the french spelling for 'Captain' is gender specific? Like Capitain for masculine and Captaine for feminine? (Man, I wish I had taken French in high school.)

Jack
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Not long to go now *twitch*   Not long to go now *twitch* - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 05, 2008 8:33 am

I don't know about that with the French, but I do about the Spanish, such as those ending in an 'O' are masculiane and those ending in an 'A' are feminine. Also in Spanish those words that are feminine often have at 'la' in front of them to state 'the', but to state the same thing Spanish have an 'el' in front of masculine words. I say this because some of the French language is closely related to the French, if that helps you though.....of course, it may not help much, but if it does, I was gald to help!tongue I take Spanish class in my middle school, so if you have any questions about it, i'd be glad to answer, if I know what the answer is!Very Happy
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Not long to go now *twitch*   Not long to go now *twitch* - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 05, 2008 12:23 pm

Of course back then there were no Female officers; none that I have heard of anyway. Currently the list of French military ranks titles include only one pronouciation, i.e.

(Army terms)
Commandant: also called chef de bataillon in the infantry, chef d'escadrons in the cavalry and chef d'escadron in the artillery.

A Capitaine is in command of a company (infantry), a squadron (cavalry) or a battery (artillery)

One IMPORTANT thing I would like to point out is:

Naval Commanding officers have titles of capitaine, but are called commandant (in the army, both capitaine and commandant are ranks, which tends to stir some confusion among the public).

From wikipedia.

EDIT:
So the title Capitane was NEVER used verbally to refer to someone in command of a vessel or any other rank aboard a ship.

Last edited by on Sun Jan 06, 2008 4:58 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Not long to go now *twitch*   Not long to go now *twitch* - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 05, 2008 4:21 pm

Thanks for the kind words ye all i will manage somehow, but rest assured i will meet you all ingame at some point just do not write me off just yet if ye please!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Not long to go now *twitch*   Not long to go now *twitch* - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 05, 2008 9:45 pm

To my knowledge, though there were female pirates, there were no female pirate captains, or female captains of any kind. Thankfully PotBS doesn't seem to care about that!

Capt. N. Gaunson
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Not long to go now *twitch*   Not long to go now *twitch* - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 06, 2008 1:49 am

You are very correct on that subject lady, and eventhough there were only a few female pirates they remained in the dark so to speak, since they had to dress like men for the most part!

Having a woman on board did in fact mean: bad luck!

But fortunately the game does allow women to command their own ships and even persuit naval or privateer carreers...

Yours,

Henk Owl

Last edited by on Sun Jan 06, 2008 2:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Not long to go now *twitch*   Not long to go now *twitch* - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 06, 2008 7:46 am

Owl wrote:
... But fortunately the game does allow women to command their own ships and even persuit naval or privateer carreers...

I concur, Henk, it is a very good thing to suspend belief that with very few exception a woman never commanded a privateer or navy vessel in 1720.

However, imho it can be ok rp the superstitions seamen had at the time as Jasper deGroot did when he met Captain Tomasine Ros, Captain of the "Vitrenard" in the "Out and About" thread a ways back. That made for some great rp. Ileutiegr's reaction was priceless I thought. Hope she gets back involved with HC now that the caucus is over in Iowa.

Jack
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Not long to go now *twitch*   Not long to go now *twitch* - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 06, 2008 12:13 pm

Finally we enter the last 24 hours before pre-release...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Not long to go now *twitch*   Not long to go now *twitch* - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 06, 2008 2:41 pm

Indeed Jack sounds great indeed, and since i most rarely fall out 'o character, if ever i am looking forward to roleplaying the adventure!

One last things remains for me to say, to those that begin this grand venture tomorrow i wish ye all the best! Sorry i will not be joining you for some time but rest assured i will someday soon, so keep a weather eye on yonder horizon gents and especially ladies!

Have fun, succes and may the winds be ever at yer backs!

Henk...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: La Capitaine   Not long to go now *twitch* - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 06, 2008 3:56 pm

"La capitaine" is the proper modern usage.

"Madame la capitaine" traditionally refers to the Captain's lady, though, so specific usage is important. You would refer to a woman as "Capitaine Laveaux" or "ma capitaine" (my captain) or la capitaine (the captain) or une capitaine (a [female] captain).

Although there were no historical French officers of the period who were women, I'll note that this is St. Joan's Day, and there was a controversial anecdote or two of women leading the military, which included Joan d'Arc, and the less known Eleanor of Aquitaine, who was scandalous on the crusades.

Some sources of interest might be:

Female Tars: Women Aboard Ship in the Age of Sail
a pre-"Age of Sail" Irish woman pirate who might be known to the HC Scots

And this article on Bonny herself has a whole set of links to women pirates at the bottom.

Yrs,
LaRouge
Back to top Go down
Deoiridh
Merchant Captain
Merchant Captain
Deoiridh

Number of posts : 669
Registration date : 2007-05-22

Character sheet
Locations: Belle Isle, New Orleans, Irish Point
Production: Shot, Cannons, Fittings, Powder, Unrest Supplies
Requirements: Saltpeter, Limestone, Doubloons

PostSubject: Re: Not long to go now *twitch*   Not long to go now *twitch* - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 06, 2008 5:19 pm

Maybe Ox could say a short prayer for calm and patience on all our parts tomorrow?

Hopefully everything will go well and I'll see you all in-game very soon. But remember that this is the launch of what will is at this point a moderately popular title. And if you were in Beta you know that SOE's authentication system has had its problems, as has the POTBS patcher. So if things don't go well tomorrow, return here and commiserate amongst friends and then renew the assault!

I'm planning to make my first attempt a couple of hours after launch, which should give time for the servers to die and be reborn a couple of times!

Good luck and fair winds to all.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Not long to go now *twitch*   Not long to go now *twitch* - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 06, 2008 5:56 pm

Too bad i won't be joining tomorrow!

But i was reading up on the official forums and came accross this list...

We are still headin' for Bonny? Looks like the "big fish" go elsewhere!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Not long to go now *twitch*   Not long to go now *twitch* - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 06, 2008 9:01 pm

I couldn't quite put my finger on it. But now i realise. Bontecou sounds so much like Bandicoot...Crash Bandicoot...the strange little creature in my sons' xbox game.

This has finally laid to rest the "something on the tip of my tongue but i can't quite place it" feeling i've had since i joined HC.

Now finally i can get on with my life!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Not long to go now *twitch*   Not long to go now *twitch* - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 06, 2008 10:19 pm

affraid
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Not long to go now *twitch*   Not long to go now *twitch* - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 07, 2008 12:15 am

just 12 hours left
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Not long to go now *twitch*   Not long to go now *twitch* - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 07, 2008 1:31 am

I hope to see as many of you as possible at about 6:30-7 PST when I get off work (and depending on how long it takes to update the client...Rolling Eyes)
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Not long to go now *twitch*   Not long to go now *twitch* - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 07, 2008 4:11 am

Well chunder in a bucket! I couldn't stand it and being as I have 5 weeks of vacation at my disposal, I figured, "whats an 8 measly hours?". Sooooo...I'm currently at home waiting with great anticipation...and coffee........affraid
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Not long to go now *twitch*   Not long to go now *twitch* - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 07, 2008 8:04 am

3 hours 57 minutes.
3 hours 56 minutes...
2 hours 45 mins... getting the shakes!!

Last edited by on Mon Jan 07, 2008 9:15 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Not long to go now *twitch*   Not long to go now *twitch* - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 07, 2008 8:31 am

Aye, A few to go and I be wait'n at da dock......
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Not long to go now *twitch*   Not long to go now *twitch* - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Not long to go now *twitch*
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next