HomePortalGallerySearchRegisterLog in

Weekly Patrol and/or strategy meeting !

Go down 
AuthorMessage

Weekly Patrol and/or strategy meeting ! Empty
PostSubject: Weekly Patrol and/or strategy meeting !   Weekly Patrol and/or strategy meeting ! Icon_minitimeWed Jan 23, 2008 11:50 am

Any interest in setting an informal time and place each week to meet and RP strategy and maybe do an in-character open sea "Security sweep?"
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Weekly Patrol and/or strategy meeting !   Weekly Patrol and/or strategy meeting ! Icon_minitimeWed Jan 23, 2008 12:28 pm

I suspect that this discussion is already taking place on the inner (secure) boards. As soon as recruits have passed their initiation period, they are granted access to those boards.

Bog
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Weekly Patrol and/or strategy meeting !   Weekly Patrol and/or strategy meeting ! Icon_minitimeWed Jan 23, 2008 1:26 pm

But a weekly guild meeting is still a good idea and I am not aware of the time if we have one.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Weekly Patrol and/or strategy meeting !   Weekly Patrol and/or strategy meeting ! Icon_minitimeWed Jan 23, 2008 4:34 pm

Ldave,

Indeed it is a good idea to get together weekly for some strategy and tactics. And, as Bog has surmised there is a lot of this discussion going on in the more secure parts of this forum.

Just a note of clarification, we have some very experienced players (recruits, members and officers), many of whom have belonged in the past to some guild in some game that due to the lack of attentive security got burned by infiltrator(s).

One of the things that take place to HC recruits before invited to full membership is a focused attempt to determine there are no spies in our midst.

I'll admit that we are not all of one mind about this, but it is something we do to protect The Highland Confederacy.

Jack McBain
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Weekly Patrol and/or strategy meeting !   Weekly Patrol and/or strategy meeting ! Icon_minitimeWed Jan 23, 2008 5:28 pm

This will probably get me booted, but once again I have to admit that I never know when to keep my mouth shut... Smile

If you're worried about spies, why talk about what port to attack in Nation-wide chat? It'd be pretty trivial to set up a 2nd account with a Buddy Key and log in with a character from a different nation to listen in on what the enemy is planning... I was pretty astounded at how freely plans of attack were being discussed in an open channel last night (this isn't directed at the Society in particular, but Society members were participating).

Just curious, is all...

Honestly, I've been wondering about membership too. The game is launched now and folks are establishing relationships and getting settled and I'd like to find a 'home' sooner rather than later. I realize I'm not as hardcore of a player as a lot of you, so if I'm not suited to the Confederacy, I surely understand that. I just would kind of like to know so I could go find another Society to join before I get too much farther down the road.

Honestly with 75 or so players on at a time, it's almost like 1 big society anyway, which is kind of nice...

No offense or disrespect intended towards Society members in this post.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Weekly Patrol and/or strategy meeting !   Weekly Patrol and/or strategy meeting ! Icon_minitimeWed Jan 23, 2008 7:00 pm

Jack McBain wrote:
Just a note of clarification, we have some very experienced players (recruits, members and officers), many of whom have belonged in the past to some guild in some game that due to the lack of attentive security got burned by infiltrator(s).

Wow, seriously? I still have a lot to learn about this game, obviously, for I cannot fathom how one person spying could bring down a whole nation. But that aside, I an assure you I'm not a spy -- just a mom with a full-time job and some weeks that don't leave much time (if any) for gaming. But you can't know that's the truth unless you come visit me, follow me around for a day or two... how on earth would you ever really know if I were a spy or not? And I don't mean this to sound as facetious as it does, I'm just typing fast as I fly out the office door and on to the evening's next challenge -- the commute. (And any fellow Seattleites on the boards know the challenge. Very Happy ) I guess I do find it a little disturbing that there's such a huge trust hurdle to jump before I'm allowed to have fun with you guys. And my WoW guild leader just left the guild with our entire vault of gold and loot... hmmm, was going to make the point that I wasn't worried about trusting folks based on that one bad experience, but now it makes me think us recruits should be checking out you leaders! Wink
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Weekly Patrol and/or strategy meeting !   Weekly Patrol and/or strategy meeting ! Icon_minitimeWed Jan 23, 2008 7:50 pm

Mathias Rhydderch wrote:

Honestly, I've been wondering about membership too. The game is launched now and folks are establishing relationships and getting settled and I'd like to find a 'home' sooner rather than later. I realize I'm not as hardcore of a player as a lot of you, so if I'm not suited to the Confederacy, I surely understand that. I just would kind of like to know so I could go find another Society to join before I get too much farther down the road.

Funny you should mention it. Very Happy
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Weekly Patrol and/or strategy meeting !   Weekly Patrol and/or strategy meeting ! Icon_minitimeThu Jan 24, 2008 1:46 am

OOC speaking...

I have belonged to guilds in many games, including hardcore PvP games (Air Warrior and Shadowbane come to mind), as well as leading a couple guilds in years past.

I have always found that a regular guild gathering time is very helpful for a vast number of reasons.

Allowing "security" concerns to influence when, where and how you hold the meeting was never important in guilds that put RP first. In fact, a little spying often made RP life more lively (Anarchy Online comes to mind). In power-gamer guilds, security could be important. I'm hoping we're still an RP guild, not dedicated power-gamers. If we're supposed to be power-gamers, geesh, I'm in the wrong place!

Unfortunately, due to the fact we're spread between the US West Coast and Continental Europe, there is at least a 9 hour time zone difference to bridge when it comes to finding the best time. There will be no perfect time. In my experience, you just pick a day and time that has the best chance of being accessible, at least periodically, to the most number of people, both present and prospective members.

I knew an RP guild that held their meeting every EIGHT days, alternating between two different times, in an attempt to make at least some meetings available to everyone. This can only be done if your calendar is working well AND you clearly post how to access the calendar to get the info (some people can be remarkably dense).
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Weekly Patrol and/or strategy meeting !   Weekly Patrol and/or strategy meeting ! Icon_minitimeThu Jan 24, 2008 6:13 am

Jack McBain wrote:
Ldave,
One of the things that take place to HC recruits before invited to full membership is a focused attempt to determine there are no spies in our midst.

I'll admit that we are not all of one mind about this, but it is something we do to protect The Highland Confederacy.

This is, of course, harder in this game. To create a spy, one would have to have two accounts, one in Spain, say, and one in France -- since one account can't mix nations on the same server.

At least we must say, if they are paying an additional $50 plus $15 a month to spy -- what devotion to RP! Smile

But yes, in Eve, this is a constant plague, as there is no such restriction on alts/factions.

LaRouge
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Weekly Patrol and/or strategy meeting !   Weekly Patrol and/or strategy meeting ! Icon_minitimeThu Jan 24, 2008 7:18 am

LaRouge wrote:
Jack McBain wrote:
Ldave,

This is, of course, harder in this game. To create a spy, one would have to have two accounts, one in Spain, say, and one in France -- since one account can't mix nations on the same server.

At least we must say, if they are paying an additional $50 plus $15 a month to spy -- what devotion to RP! Smile

But yes, in Eve, this is a constant plague, as there is no such restriction on alts/factions.

LaRouge

I have a second account. Smile

Unfortunately, the DvD is on a UPS vehicle somewhere so it's not active yet. When it is, you'll find the gruff old campaigner, Edeor MacGregor, standing strong with his Highland brothers and sisters against the Sassenach scourge. (Well, he does not stand too close to the Campbells, expecially Bognor Regis, who is a Campbell on his mother's side, whom he resents strongly for some reason that remains unclear.)

Bog
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Weekly Patrol and/or strategy meeting !   Weekly Patrol and/or strategy meeting ! Icon_minitimeThu Jan 24, 2008 7:30 am

Oh, and having been an active PvP'er in UO and DAoC, I perfectly understand the concern over cross-realm spies. I have never been a member of a guild so victimized -- RP guilds were rarely considered worth the time in those two games -- but one of our closely allied guilds on Seige Perilous in UO was infiltrated, and when the spy was outed he made off with a huge chunk of the guild's assets, adding injury to insult.

I don't think we need fear the direct loss of assets, at least until Society warehouses are introduced, but we do need to be a bit wary of spies. There are guilds on Bonny that are very serious about coming out on top. 'nuff said.

(FWIW, Mathias, Gwyn, L'Dave and Shaeli are old friends of mine. I know the latter two in RL -- we work in the same organization.)

Bog
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Weekly Patrol and/or strategy meeting !   Weekly Patrol and/or strategy meeting ! Icon_minitimeThu Jan 24, 2008 2:51 pm

Bognor wrote:

I don't think we need fear the direct loss of assets, at least until Society warehouses are introduced, but we do need to be a bit wary of spies. There are guilds on Bonny that are very serious about coming out on top.

Well, this has lost us one member so far (Mathias), in that various discussions of trust and spies has made him feel like he would never feel that people were trusting or evincing true comaraderie.

I find the presentation pretty off-putting too. I know there are going to be people with two accounts, here and there. But we need to strike some basis between trust and paranoia, with the rememberance that most of us are here to have fun, not have a second job.

Every guild in every game runs the risk that some key member of a guild is going to drop out of school, go broke, get a girlfriend, get "grounded" off the Internet, have a baby, or develop too much RL -- you know, any of those tragedies that can ruin a good gamer. Smile

So I think it's just an assessed risk in general. We don't need to focus on the idea of not trusting one another. We'd be better to hedge our bets on resources and dependencies. That has nothing to do, in *necessity*, with the prospect of spies. It just has to do with the washing over of RL into our community in general.

So, I'd encourage people to use the language of general risk rather than suspicion. I think it's better for our community.

And, every guild-like critter has instability issues. It's how you manage them, and build a good culture that can withstand them, that counts.

Yeah, I know, I have a lot of NSHO...Wink

LaRouge
Back to top Go down
Deoiridh
Merchant Captain
Merchant Captain
Deoiridh

Number of posts : 669
Registration date : 2007-05-22

Character sheet
Locations: Belle Isle, New Orleans, Irish Point
Production: Shot, Cannons, Fittings, Powder, Unrest Supplies
Requirements: Saltpeter, Limestone, Doubloons

PostSubject: Re: Weekly Patrol and/or strategy meeting !   Weekly Patrol and/or strategy meeting ! Icon_minitimeThu Jan 24, 2008 5:38 pm

Gwynvaer wrote:
I guess I do find it a little disturbing that there's such a huge trust hurdle to jump before I'm allowed to have fun with you guys. And my WoW guild leader just left the guild with our entire vault of gold and loot... hmmm, was going to make the point that I wasn't worried about trusting folks based on that one bad experience, but now it makes me think us recruits should be checking out you leaders! Wink

Absolutely! If I ask to borrow your brand new ship of the line at any point "to run a few errands" you should become very, very suspicious!

Seriously, I hope no one has the impression that we're running background checks on everyone. I for one am too busy getting my stern shot to pieces by annoyingly low level pirates in-game to spend any time hiring a corp of private investigators. I think what Jack was getting at was that we had a couple of strange experiences in the early days of the guild, and we all know of other guilds where this has been a problem. As officers we have to worry about lots of things, and ideally we want to be worrying about things so that all of you don't have to and can concentrate, as LaRouge says, on having a great game experience. One thing I've always believed is important if you have any position of responsibility (even if it is an entirely voluntary one in a group dedicated to fun and enjoyment!) is that you look ahead and anticipate what might be coming down the pike. That isn't going to stop you getting hit by a carriage and four at some point, but at least you might be able to get most of your limbs out of the way.

So there is no "trust hurdle" and we're not looking at people with sideways glances as they approach our tent. True, I keep a loaded flintlock hidden neath my skirts, but that's to deal with an entirely different class of people than all of you!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Weekly Patrol and/or strategy meeting !   Weekly Patrol and/or strategy meeting ! Icon_minitimeThu Jan 24, 2008 7:12 pm

Quite simply put, people in guilds from other factions in PotBS have been caught attempting to be recruited into our society. Nothing more and nothing less.

Would they have done much damage? I don't know, but I think the HC leaders would prefer not to have members from other guilds trying to make accounts in our forums and entering our guid. As i am sure you can tell, the leaders of this society happen to be pretty open with their members and that makes it all that easier to gain information.

This is a game where the taking and losing of ports is pretty damn important! Parodn my French Smile

And I'll go ahead and add that I've flirted with the same ideas back when I thought the SGS and the HC were going to be on the same server. I didn't ever plan on getting 2 accounts but, at the time it hadn't been determined for certain that you couldn't cross realm on the same server.

It happens, it has happened to us before, and it will continue to happen. These guys would not be very responsible guild leaders if they didn't at least give the idea of preventing it a single thought.

I doubt it will ever get in the way of fun, true some may misinterrupt the value added to this whole spy thing and picture a gaming future that isn't fun, but I am confident things would never get anywhere close to invasion of privacy or Nazi-esque.

I keep thinking there must be something more to this, something that happened which somebody has failed to mention. I find it hard to believe a single mention of the word 'spy' really set people off? I even got the impression he mentioned it off handedly like it's just one of many possible reasons to be cautious with recruiting. And I bet that's just because it was fresh in his mind from the experience this society went through not too long ago.

I remeber constantly getting blind guild invites in WoW and it was annoying to no end (I think some of you can feel me on that one); so I'm gald that doesn't happen here. Not to mention the type of characters you pick up when doing that.

One last thing I'd like to note, many of you are new to join, but this society is one of the oldest in the PotBS community and does have a history, many thigns have happened, for the sake of RP or not even before closed beta started; just somethign to keep in mind when trying to figure out why these officers do some things.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Weekly Patrol and/or strategy meeting !   Weekly Patrol and/or strategy meeting ! Icon_minitimeThu Jan 24, 2008 7:34 pm

Deoiridh wrote:
Seriously, I hope no one has the impression that we're running background checks on everyone... I think what Jack was getting at was that we had a couple of strange experiences in the early days of the guild, and we all know of other guilds where this has been a problem. As officers we have to worry about lots of things, and ideally we want to be worrying about things so that all of you don't have to... there is no "trust hurdle" and we're not looking at people with sideways glances as they approach our tent.

Thank you Deoiridh for your efforts to put my comments in a positive perspective. You have framed this debate much better then my poor attempt, as did you my good friend Benoit.

Perhaps I should share a couple things that may help those concerned where I was coming from and what kind of society HC really is. In the not so distant past I experienced the destruction of a really good guild in another mmo by infiltration. I know it can happen. In RL I am a IT Security Analyst for a large state agency responsible for keeping the bad guys out and the peoples information safe. Obviously it showed.

I'm sorry my comments have offended. This afternoon in the HC officers thread I tendered my resignation as an officer with this statement: "My comments were out of place and in the wrong forum. I regret the errors and apologize for them."

The Highland Confederacy is one of the best things to happen in a long time. As D. so well put it, we're not looking at people with sideways glances as they approach our tent.

Please don't let my concerns effect HC's future or your association with it.

Jack
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Weekly Patrol and/or strategy meeting !   Weekly Patrol and/or strategy meeting ! Icon_minitimeThu Jan 24, 2008 9:12 pm

Needless to say we didn't accept it. The guillotine rental's deposit had already been paid and we had the media scheduled to attend Jack's execution. Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
OxBaker
Privateer Captain
Privateer Captain
OxBaker

Number of posts : 410
Registration date : 2007-09-10

Character sheet
Locations: Grenville
Production: Hemp, Rope, Canvas, Cotton, Sails, Textile Unrest Bundles
Requirements: Tar

PostSubject: Re: Weekly Patrol and/or strategy meeting !   Weekly Patrol and/or strategy meeting ! Icon_minitimeFri Jan 25, 2008 10:35 am

Wilhelm von Somborn wrote:
Needless to say we didn't accept it. The guillotine rental's deposit had already been paid and we had the media scheduled to attend Jack's execution. Twisted Evil
Dibs on his boots and Jacket! Wink
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Weekly Patrol and/or strategy meeting !   Weekly Patrol and/or strategy meeting ! Icon_minitimeFri Jan 25, 2008 11:09 am

Hey! The Inspector-General didn't accept it. And, what's this about a guillotine?Shocked pale I respectfully request a pardon.
Back to top Go down
Deoiridh
Merchant Captain
Merchant Captain
Deoiridh

Number of posts : 669
Registration date : 2007-05-22

Character sheet
Locations: Belle Isle, New Orleans, Irish Point
Production: Shot, Cannons, Fittings, Powder, Unrest Supplies
Requirements: Saltpeter, Limestone, Doubloons

PostSubject: Re: Weekly Patrol and/or strategy meeting !   Weekly Patrol and/or strategy meeting ! Icon_minitimeFri Jan 25, 2008 11:42 am

Ah, we forgot to mention the Spanish Inquisition? Our bad. . .
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Weekly Patrol and/or strategy meeting !   Weekly Patrol and/or strategy meeting ! Icon_minitimeSun Jan 27, 2008 11:35 am

So I'm confused, I have access to 2 member forums, Ideas and the trade/commerce forum. Are there others I'm not in yet?
Cause I heard there was a post by Commodore Montfort about setting up a time/place for some training sessions in fleet manuever and battle tactics, something I'm definately interested in. Am i just not finding it, or is it somewhere else, and if so, is it somewhere I can see?
thanks
Micum
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Weekly Patrol and/or strategy meeting !   Weekly Patrol and/or strategy meeting ! Icon_minitimeSun Jan 27, 2008 3:21 pm

Hi Micum,

Your current access is what all Recruits receive. There are several additional forums that are open only to full members. (Something you can look forward when you become full members (usually 30 or so days after joining).

Glad to hear of your interest in battle tactics! HC has the potential of becoming a major attack force on the Burning Sea. The General Discussion "Weekly Patrol and/or strategy meeting" was started to get the conversation going, but we then realized that if we got into details of our tactics we stood the chance of passing on what we do to our enemies, this got this thread sidetracked. There is a Privateers forum where a tactics subject is available for discussion, but unfortunately it is currently available only to full members. However, you can engage any of us Privateers in in-game discussions or even group up and start doing PvE and PvP hunts together.

Before going PvP I strongly recommend all recruits interested in the subject check out: https://highlandconfederacy.forumotion.com/ideas-f12/pvp-discussion-t606.htm. It is an excellent discussion and well worth the read. (Please feel free to contribute on this or any thread.) My own experience at this time on the Burning Sea it that the loss of my primary ship is a real set back. We Privateers do not make a lot of dubloons from missions or raids and when I lose my ship it takes a while to get the coin back to buy another.

Please tell me, Emile deMontfort, Henk Owl, Argyll Campbell, Bognor or anyone else on our social chat channel talking about Privateer stuff. You're sure to find an invitation to group up and hunt fat merchants, dastardly pirates or other miscreants found on the Burning Sea. It's in those groups that our tactics are considered, defined, practiced and refined!

Captain Jack McBain
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Weekly Patrol and/or strategy meeting !   Weekly Patrol and/or strategy meeting ! Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Weekly Patrol and/or strategy meeting !
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Highland Confederacy Guest Forums :: The Dockside Inn-
Jump to: