HomePortalGallerySearchRegisterLog in

Preview of PotBS features to come -- article

Go down 
AuthorMessage

Preview of PotBS features to come -- article Empty
PostSubject: Preview of PotBS features to come -- article   Preview of PotBS features to come -- article Icon_minitimeWed Feb 13, 2008 6:09 pm

http://potbsvault.ign.com/View.php?view=Articles.Detail&id=76

Discussion on things such as player politics and personal spaces that will be added to the game later on. This stuff has so much potential for RP it is not even funny. Imagine running our own tavern for real...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Preview of PotBS features to come -- article   Preview of PotBS features to come -- article Icon_minitimeWed Feb 13, 2008 7:56 pm

I propose a toast! Very Happy
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Preview of PotBS features to come -- article   Preview of PotBS features to come -- article Icon_minitimeWed Feb 13, 2008 8:44 pm

Sounds outstanding if they actually implement this stuff.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Preview of PotBS features to come -- article   Preview of PotBS features to come -- article Icon_minitimeWed Feb 13, 2008 9:31 pm

oooh, I soo want to own my own tavern
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Preview of PotBS features to come -- article   Preview of PotBS features to come -- article Icon_minitimeWed Feb 13, 2008 10:08 pm

Thats what I love about the FLS devs.

Quote :
"We can do this without decorating. Decorating adds a month of development time," and he said "We're NOT going to do player social spaces without the ability to decorate, that's crazy!" So I said, "Okay I believe you..."

They know how to do things right. Any other dev team would have just pushed it out but FLS does it right.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Preview of PotBS features to come -- article   Preview of PotBS features to come -- article Icon_minitimeThu Feb 14, 2008 9:12 am

I am very leery of Player Housing. The only two games I've ever seen where this worked were SWG and UO, and that is because the housing was an integral part of the environment.

My guild had a castle on Seige Perilous in UO (the so-called "PvP Shard") and we used to hold all kinds of events, including Capture the Flag type PvP events. It was a lot of fun. The same in SWG where we set up the City of Coventry and had musical acts, parties, etc.

But in all the other games that have instanced housing they merely consume tons of dev time for what amounts to a one week wonder. In most games, housing is extra storage -- nothing more.

Sounds like FLS has got the right mix here, though, at least conceptually -- it not player housing we want so much as it is player social spaces. Nicely put. I just hope they can pull it off in a game that relies so much on instances.

Bog
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Preview of PotBS features to come -- article   Preview of PotBS features to come -- article Icon_minitimeThu Feb 14, 2008 10:23 am

It's not a one week wonder for Role-players. I used my houses all the time in Anarcgy Online. Power gaming types on the other hand.....
Back to top Go down
Deoiridh
Merchant Captain
Merchant Captain
Deoiridh

Number of posts : 669
Registration date : 2007-05-22

Character sheet
Locations: Belle Isle, New Orleans, Irish Point
Production: Shot, Cannons, Fittings, Powder, Unrest Supplies
Requirements: Saltpeter, Limestone, Doubloons

PostSubject: Re: Preview of PotBS features to come -- article   Preview of PotBS features to come -- article Icon_minitimeThu Feb 14, 2008 10:31 am

I had a house in the best location in SWG, on a hill, overlooking Lake Wild, but just outside the city. It was such a beautiful view that I use to stand on my balcony just relaxing, looking at it. Given some of the beautiful views in POTBS I would like that again!

But I agree, the idea of "social space" is really what is key. A house can be one, but there are probably other kinds that need to come first. One thing that surprised me was that there was no mention of what is probably the most important RP and social space that people have asked for in this game: their ship's cabin.

It's clear evidence that the devs have really done what they said they wanted to do, which is studied other MMORPGs and learned from them; they seem to understand core gameplay very well. But I would also point out that they said much of this stuff will be a long way away.

I am really looking forward to the skirmish system, personally. I think it's great for RP guilds, especially. It enables people to have fun with PvP, practice, but in a no-cost way. I think it will build group solidarity, and it will also help to be able to introduce lowbies to combat in a more friendly fashion.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Preview of PotBS features to come -- article   Preview of PotBS features to come -- article Icon_minitimeThu Feb 14, 2008 2:09 pm

Deoiridh wrote:

---snip

I am really looking forward to the skirmish system, personally. I think it's great for RP guilds, especially. It enables people to have fun with PvP, practice, but in a no-cost way. I think it will build group solidarity, and it will also help to be able to introduce lowbies to combat in a more friendly fashion.

Right on. I don't care about ladders at all, I just like a good fight!

Bog
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Preview of PotBS features to come -- article   Preview of PotBS features to come -- article Icon_minitimeThu Feb 14, 2008 5:04 pm

Sounds great, hopefully I'll be able to sit in the chairs if I buy them.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Preview of PotBS features to come -- article   Preview of PotBS features to come -- article Icon_minitimeThu Feb 14, 2008 6:30 pm

Benoit_Bontecou wrote:
Sounds great, hopefully I'll be able to sit in the chairs if I buy them.

I read the link that Chantilly provided and they said they did plan on allowing you to sit in the chairs, also something about the furniture being breakable should a fight break out, which sounds amazing if they can pull it off. I should have bar fight night in my tavern if they do implement it.
Back to top Go down
Deoiridh
Merchant Captain
Merchant Captain
Deoiridh

Number of posts : 669
Registration date : 2007-05-22

Character sheet
Locations: Belle Isle, New Orleans, Irish Point
Production: Shot, Cannons, Fittings, Powder, Unrest Supplies
Requirements: Saltpeter, Limestone, Doubloons

PostSubject: Re: Preview of PotBS features to come -- article   Preview of PotBS features to come -- article Icon_minitimeThu Feb 14, 2008 8:52 pm

I just want better pistol sounds. My flintlock sounds like someone snapping a plank of wood. I've heard real flintlocks as I'm sure most of you have, and they don't sound anything like that!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Preview of PotBS features to come -- article   Preview of PotBS features to come -- article Icon_minitimeFri Feb 15, 2008 9:44 am

It all sounds pretty cool, but the best part is the ineer society PvP where I'll be able to send Emile to the bottom in style. bounce
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Preview of PotBS features to come -- article   Preview of PotBS features to come -- article Icon_minitimeFri Feb 15, 2008 1:31 pm

If you can toggle the PvP status in a building then i'm going to try making a fencing salon. Set up fencing tourneys (no pistols), teach new recruits.
That'd be fantastic.
I dig this game so!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Preview of PotBS features to come -- article   Preview of PotBS features to come -- article Icon_minitimeFri Feb 15, 2008 2:49 pm

Seamus O'Flynn wrote:
If you can toggle the PvP status in a building then i'm going to try making a fencing salon. Set up fencing tourneys (no pistols), teach new recruits.
That'd be fantastic.
I dig this game so!

Son, I'm not sure you're old enough to say "dig". SmileSmileSmileSmile

Bog
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Preview of PotBS features to come -- article   Preview of PotBS features to come -- article Icon_minitimeSat Feb 16, 2008 1:25 am

aimeenaveaux wrote:
I should have bar fight night in my tavern if they do implement it.

And i shall attend them, provided "someone" can provide me with a place to sleep?! Wink
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Preview of PotBS features to come -- article   Preview of PotBS features to come -- article Icon_minitimeSat Feb 16, 2008 10:59 am

You can always sleep on the deck of my ship Henk, would offer a room but they always seem to be full Smile
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Preview of PotBS features to come -- article   Preview of PotBS features to come -- article Icon_minitimeSat Feb 16, 2008 11:18 am

Aye and i shall take ye up on that offer someday amigo, rest assured i shall!

And no worries laddie i understand all too well that cabin part i mean, part 'o the reason i am constantly
in need for a larger ship Wink
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Preview of PotBS features to come -- article   Preview of PotBS features to come -- article Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Preview of PotBS features to come -- article
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Highland Confederacy Guest Forums :: The Dockside Inn-
Jump to: