Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Look forward to most?

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Hamish MacBane
Founder
Founder
Hamish MacBane

Number of posts : 456
Registration date : 2007-04-14

Character sheet
Locations:
Production:
Requirements:

Look forward to most? Empty
PostSubject: Look forward to most?   Look forward to most? Icon_minitimeTue Apr 17, 2007 8:28 am

So what part of Pirates are you looking forward to most?

For me its the clear background we have to RP in. I think FLS is giving us an awesome stage, one of the better ones I have seen in a while. Only time will tell of course, but then RP in an MMO has always been about taking the stage you were given and making of it what you will.

The detail of this game so far, the free market and the need for player cooperation are really exciting to me. It seems to bring people together like I haven't seen in a game in a while. It might not be as great as I think, but it sure seems to be loaded with potential.

I hope they add they ability to duel within your own faction though. Duelling was something I never really liked in MMOs because it just seemed pointless and somehow didn't fit a fantasy setting. I don't know why I felt that way, I guess it was just because of the abuse. However in a time and place where duels were common between two slighted parties it seems perfectly fitting in this game. Imagine sitting in a bar when a naval officer insults you for some reason. You can challenge him to a duel in RP fashion for the slight to your honor and it would end up being a ton of fun because of the RP potential.

Heh...as you can tell, RP is my love in these game.

Anyway, those are a few things. There is so much that excites me about this game, it's hard to pick. I had almost given up on MMOs, so to be this excited is something I wasn't expecting from any game.
Back to top Go down
https://highlandconfederacy.forumotion.com

PostSubject: Re: Look forward to most?   Look forward to most? Icon_minitimeTue Apr 17, 2007 8:47 am

The economy, the economy, and...the economy.

I really, really love the prospects for the economy...they seem to have taken a real-life approach to things, which no other MMO really has, to the best of my knowledge, and instead of a money-sink to keep down inflation, they've chosen to limit production based on time which is, hey, just like real life!

While I have no expectation that the economy will work flawlessly, I feel that by the virtue of the freedom of the system, players themselves can correct the flaws, just as real people in real life correct wrinkles in the economy. In a normal MMO, the flaws would be a direct result of the system and largely unfixable...but in PotBS, the way I see it, if prices in something shoot up, any intrepid merchant is going to take advantage of that and thus force prices down. After all, there's a whole merchant class! People who's focus is correcting the economy. It's literally an army of people keeping the economy in check, in addition to non-merchant classes who will do that anyway. Naturally, myself being a big libertarian, I love free markets.

Awesome, oh-so awesome. And oh yeah, RPing is much better in a semi-realistic setting Wink.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Look forward to most?   Look forward to most? Icon_minitimeWed Apr 18, 2007 1:15 am

Now I know they said it wont be implemented at the release but they said that its a possibility that down the road they'll install player housing. When I played SWG, for the short time i did before sony took over, I loved how there were a few player communities that were actually larger than the NPC cities. This ties in with the economy also, which im rediculously excited about also Ophelie, because in order to create a large community you have to have a reason for people to want to come and even stay. Which creates player ran markets and skilled artisanship.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Look forward to most?   Look forward to most? Icon_minitimeWed Apr 18, 2007 7:31 am

I guess I'd say the entire concept.

The twist on going from an individual with items to a ship and character with upgrades and skills. The historical aspect of the game. The various factions and how that sets the stage for PvP battles. The economy which is then tied into those aspects.

All in all, I think it is different and has an opportunity to be a very unique game.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Look forward to most?   Look forward to most? Icon_minitimeWed Apr 18, 2007 8:22 am

Player housing could be very interesting...If anyone has played A Tale in the Desert, the vibrancy and absolute necessity of its player housing was great. There are no pre-made cities, just player-made cities.
Back to top Go down
Hamish MacBane
Founder
Founder
Hamish MacBane

Character sheet
Locations:
Production:
Requirements:

PostSubject: Re: Look forward to most?   Look forward to most? Icon_minitimeWed Apr 18, 2007 8:43 am

From an RP aspect I'd love to see player housing..or at least a captain quarters on your ship. An easy place to store stuff. Though it would be nice to be able to create your own port or little hidey hole. Of course it'd have to be something that could come into contention once it reached a certain size. I doubt they'll offer anything large scale though, so as to not mess up the need for regular ports.

I too like how the economy and RvR are interwoven. It just gives it a feel I haven't seen in any other MMOs. I mean RvR is important because you either need a certain resource (or a better source of it) or because you have to defend yours. There are real consequences for losing also. That makes it all have a more realistic feel, without taking the fun away. The Navies and RvR types will rely heavily on merchants and the like to keep a vibrant economy and vice versa. After all if all your goods got continually sent to the briney deep, what good would that be? Like I said..it seems to force a sense of teamwork without kicking you in the teeth with it.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Look forward to most?   Look forward to most? Icon_minitimeWed Apr 18, 2007 8:50 am

If all your good keep getting sent to the deep, one hopes you'd figure out a way to keep that from happening!
Back to top Go down
Hamish MacBane
Founder
Founder
Hamish MacBane

Character sheet
Locations:
Production:
Requirements:

PostSubject: Re: Look forward to most?   Look forward to most? Icon_minitimeWed Apr 18, 2007 1:07 pm

Yep, hire menacing ships with guns filled with steely eyed sailors to guard your ass..ets. Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Look forward to most?   Look forward to most? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Look forward to most?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Highland Confederacy Guest Forums :: The Dockside Inn-
Jump to: