Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

To Help or Not to Help

Go down 
AuthorMessage

To Help or Not to Help Empty
PostSubject: To Help or Not to Help   To Help or Not to Help Icon_minitimeWed Aug 22, 2007 6:50 pm

I was just thinking of the times I went bounding into newbie land in many games. You feel uncertain and quite vulnerable as your make you way from level 1 to a mighty level 5. Razz
Some people offer to get you into a guild and in some instances they decide you need to get power leveled. I see there point but a modest amount of help works better then peeps getting you into a dungeon instance and killing everything to get you exp.
You dare not move to gain aggro because one hit would mean the rezzer needs to step in.
I think the guild might mean well but assistance is on the verge of pestiness.
Is our stance as a guild to lend a helping hand to our new M8's or would they expect us to hand out money and exp upon arrival which I hate.
I will help out some monetarily but don't expect to much. I will help new players but don't expect me to level you. cherry

Just my 2 coppers
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: To Help or Not to Help   To Help or Not to Help Icon_minitimeWed Aug 22, 2007 7:06 pm

As a guild, we haven't discussed this particular question as I recall.

I'd say this: the focus for the current members is more on RP than leveling. So I doubt it would be a big priority for 1) new members and 2) for existing members to offer a ton of straight leveling help.

That said, I think I would easily spend a few session showing less experienced players around gaining very little xp for myself. Again that would be because it doesn't bother me to do that and I'm there mainly for RP.

Money - items - if I'm not using them, I'll pass them to the guild.

That is more my personal style than a moto for the guild but I think most would agree with your post.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: To Help or Not to Help   To Help or Not to Help Icon_minitimeThu Aug 23, 2007 5:20 am

Pretty much what Dermid said. I don't know that I have ever heard of a power-leveling RP group in any game. There probably has been one, but I haven't heard of it. And we aren't about to emulate it here. We are first and foremost here to enjoy the game, not to "win" the game. Sure we want to succeed at the in-game objectives, but not at the cost of having a good time.

As for shiny incentives to get new members, if they are that interested in money/xp then they probably are not who we are looking for anyway. At least thats how I feel about it.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: To Help or Not to Help   To Help or Not to Help Icon_minitimeTue Sep 04, 2007 12:51 pm

I quit a guild in EQ 1 because they were helping me too much. No lie!

Sometimes I just want to make my own accomplishments.

As far as helping others: there is a fine line between a person that 'deserves' help and a person that just wants someone to do 'it' for them.

I quit a guild in WoW because things got to the point where I couldn't log in anymore because it was like going to work where my job was to help everyone do the same quests Iw as able to do by myself; just maybe at a level or two higher.

Anyway, I know it's easier said then done, but I hope we all find a good balanace when it comes to this.

The above is specifically concerned with questing/leveling... when it comes to crafting it's a whole differen't story.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: To Help or Not to Help   To Help or Not to Help Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

To Help or Not to Help
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Highland Confederacy Guest Forums :: The Dockside Inn-
Jump to: