Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Erasmus de Brouwer

Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage

Erasmus de Brouwer Empty
PostSubject: Erasmus de Brouwer   Erasmus de Brouwer Icon_minitimeSun Sep 30, 2007 2:59 pm

Parley at The Albatross

‘Right’, Erasmus thought as the board he trod on squeaked underneath his foot. ‘Nothing new there, I guess.’ How convenient that one’s first step on land is made on something that resembles a ship’s deck. No better way to spare seamen the shock of muddy ground.

Although quarantine was soon to be lifted, Erasmus could not be made to spend another night in his cabin. The prospect of fresh beer and the always abundantly present turmoil of a harbour town was reason enough to walk the plank. Furthermore, an unofficial scouting of the Albatross before he officially landed was, to his mind, the best thing to do.

Contacting this … Highland Confederacy had been a wild stab in the dark. These people haven’t a clue who Erasmus de Brouwer is, and maybe that’s for the best. What do past credentials mean in a political world that is forever changing? If he looks like the run-of-the-mill sailor as he pulls up his collar and enters the Inn, that’s probably what he is or what he should be from now on. That doesn’t mean however that he has to be as stupid. That thought quickly sounded ridiculous as he realised, when he entered the Inn, that he knew very little about them either.

When he shut the door, he quickly moved to a vacant stool at a table occupied by empty jugs and a sleeping drunk. There were no suspicious looks nor were there any welcoming nods. Everyone just seemed to go on with their business, which was noisy, gluttonous and promiscuous … much to his amusement. So he waited, drank … and observed.

Last edited by on Tue Oct 02, 2007 4:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

Erasmus de Brouwer Empty
PostSubject: Re: Erasmus de Brouwer   Erasmus de Brouwer Icon_minitimeMon Oct 01, 2007 4:53 pm

Wilhelm opens the door to the Albatross, and, as he steps inside, he looks to Willem at the counter. Expecting a brief smile and a nod to indicate that all is normal, Wilhelm is surprised when Willem's eyes dart surreptitiously towards a stranger sitting alone at a table. Greeting some of the Albatrosses regulars with a smile, Wilhelm takes a seat and engages them in lively conversation... all the while giving no clue that he is watching the newcomer.

While conversing, Wilhelm thinks. This is the Albatross, one of the seats of his power. Whatever his enemies might be willing to try on the streets, they would not be so foolish to try anything here, and his enemies are not the type to accept certain death merely to kill him. Coming to a decision, Wilhelm excuses himself from the conversation and stands. The newcomer bears a striking resemblance to the description given by his contacts in the port's guard. Perhaps this is the elusive "Erasmus de Brouwer"?

Walking over to the man's table, Wilhelm says,

"Excuse me, I couldn't help but notice you, drinking here alone. I don't suppose you would care for some company?"

((My appologies if I railroaded things too much here, since I don't know if you wanted to do anything when I came into the Albatross.))
Back to top Go down

Erasmus de Brouwer Empty
PostSubject: Re: Erasmus de Brouwer   Erasmus de Brouwer Icon_minitimeMon Oct 01, 2007 6:15 pm

*starts snoring*

*drools on the table a little and wakes up choaking*

*Jasper excalms*

"Pan Cakes! must have Pan Cakes..."

*looks around with a wondering eye and notices a new person that sits next to him*

"Excuse me. O Wilhelm *hiccup* Excuse me. Who is this?"

"O and Good *peers out the Window* *pauses and relieses the time* Morning to you Wilhelm."

*looks over at the new guy sitting next to him*

"and you too..."
Back to top Go down

Erasmus de Brouwer Empty
PostSubject: Re: Erasmus de Brouwer   Erasmus de Brouwer Icon_minitimeTue Oct 02, 2007 4:47 pm

The dancing flame of a candle can hardly camouflage the contented smile Erasmus is trying to suppress as his gaze moves from the sleepy drunk to the newcomer. "Wilhelm eh,..." he thinks.

"By all means, room for a few more I'd say ... our friend here doesn't seem to mind."

As the man sits down, Erasmus casually lifts his jug and while emptying it he has a quick look at a cluster of men by the bar, nervously throwing a glance at every movement at his table. Willem the innkeeper however notices the telltale character of the scene and quickly offers the men another drink. When Erasmus puts down the empty jug and looks at the man who's sitting in front of him, he finds himself staring into the searching eyes of a man on the brink of making an important decision. It is clear that the gloves are off. They aren't going to waste a lot of time with small talk.

((No problem, I'm not writing a structured novel here, just playing an action-reaction game, wherever it leads us. What the experiences do to Erasmus, you can read in his logbook whenever he returns to his ship. That's an approach that's an experiment for me too but something I would like to continue when the game starts as well, if possible.))
Back to top Go down

Erasmus de Brouwer Empty
PostSubject: Re: Erasmus de Brouwer   Erasmus de Brouwer Icon_minitimeWed Oct 03, 2007 5:39 pm

Wilhelm lets a resigned smile play across his face as he turns his gaze from Jasper to the man across the table.

"As Jasper has just been so kind to inform you, I am called Wilhelm. Please excuse my abruptness, but I have been in contact with a man matching your description. Are you perhaps that man?"

((looks like a good half of the verbal sparring I was planning on went down the drain. I was wondering how you learned my name IC until I looked above and realized that Jasper edited his post. *sigh*))
Back to top Go down

Erasmus de Brouwer Empty
PostSubject: Re: Erasmus de Brouwer   Erasmus de Brouwer Icon_minitimeWed Oct 03, 2007 5:49 pm

"O I am guessing this is a New Member then"

*Jasper looks over at Erasmus*

"Well met, good man"

*extends his hand to give him a hearty handshake*

Back to top Go down

Erasmus de Brouwer Empty
PostSubject: Re: Erasmus de Brouwer   Erasmus de Brouwer Icon_minitimeThu Oct 04, 2007 9:05 am

Erasmus ignores the held out hand and kindly nods at Jasper. It's best to have both hands free until you know the coast is clear.

Then he returns his gaze to Wilhelm.

"If I were that man and you are who you claim to be, how would I greet you?"

Back to top Go down

Erasmus de Brouwer Empty
PostSubject: Re: Erasmus de Brouwer   Erasmus de Brouwer Icon_minitimeThu Oct 04, 2007 9:17 am

"I suppose you would greet me by telling me your name, since you have the advantage of me there. And while I think we both know the answer, you could tell me where you've been recently and why. It could help to establish a few things, yes?"
Back to top Go down

Erasmus de Brouwer Empty
PostSubject: Re: Erasmus de Brouwer   Erasmus de Brouwer Icon_minitimeThu Oct 04, 2007 10:30 am

Erasmus shakes his head. "This isn't going to be easy", he thinks, "he's as suspicious as I am."

"You say you were contacted, letters possibly? How were you greeted, what was the address used in those letters? You'd better answer now or I'll be on my way."

Back to top Go down

Erasmus de Brouwer Empty
PostSubject: Re: Erasmus de Brouwer   Erasmus de Brouwer Icon_minitimeThu Oct 04, 2007 11:18 am

"Address? I'm afraid the letter gave no address. Something about being unable to be contacted for reasons unspecified. Fortunately, the gentleman's has recently entered port and I received another letter. Unfortunately he seems to have had some trouble in attaining permission to disembark."

Pausing for a moment, Wilhelm thinks to himself before continuing.

"Still, there is no harm in hiding who the letters were addressed to. If the name means anything to you, then you have already figured it out. The Highland Confederacy."
Back to top Go down

Erasmus de Brouwer Empty
PostSubject: Re: Erasmus de Brouwer   Erasmus de Brouwer Icon_minitimeThu Oct 04, 2007 12:57 pm

"Oh well, good enough I guess", Erasmus thinks as he rises, takes off his hat and bows before Wilhelm and his drinking companion.

"Then, HEEREN, I must inform you of the presence of Erasmus de Brouwer, officially still on his ship suffering quarantine. A beer would lighten my distress considerably."

Back to top Go down

Erasmus de Brouwer Empty
PostSubject: Re: Erasmus de Brouwer   Erasmus de Brouwer Icon_minitimeThu Oct 04, 2007 2:42 pm

"Well, I think we can arrange that much. You will excuse me if I don't shake hands until your ship has been "officially" cleared, yes?"

Wilhelm lets out a sigh.

"But in all seriousness, my good man, do your really expect me to remember something that specific? While I have high hopes for our future together, you will excuse me if I don't carry your letters always close to my heart."

Signaling to Willem he says,

"Willem, a beer for our new acquaintance."
Back to top Go down

Erasmus de Brouwer Empty
PostSubject: Re: Erasmus de Brouwer   Erasmus de Brouwer Icon_minitimeFri Oct 05, 2007 11:21 am

"Not to worry, most honourable Wilhelm. I am but a humble prawn in your net ... I'm well aware of that."

Erasmus downs the jug of beer hastily.

Last edited by on Wed Oct 10, 2007 5:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

Erasmus de Brouwer Empty
PostSubject: Re: Erasmus de Brouwer   Erasmus de Brouwer Icon_minitimeFri Oct 05, 2007 8:33 pm

*Listens intently and lowers his hand from sight*

*showing no emotion or resentment towards the Stanger*

*Thinks* "Well, this went better then the last few times."

*Speaks* "Willem, a beer please, to Nurse this Hangover."
Back to top Go down

Erasmus de Brouwer Empty
PostSubject: Re: Erasmus de Brouwer   Erasmus de Brouwer Icon_minitimeSat Oct 06, 2007 6:50 pm

A burst of sunlight shoots through the room as the door opens, the man at the entrance pauses for a moment to take in the pained expressions of those that are trying to shade their eyes; throwing curses at the new comer for his lack of consideration towards their hangovers.

Finally, after a pewter mug crashed against the wall far off to his left, he closed the door and gave a soft chuckle, “Zor’ry my friends, it is not my fault zat the sun chose to shine so brightly this morning.”

Once the lighting in the room had returned to normal, it was plain to see the man was of French origin, he wore a dark blue long coat with the fleur de lis pinned on his left lapel. His swash buckler’s hat was the same color blue with a white feather sticking out of the right side. He had his coat unbuttoned down to the waist and a thick black belt sheathing a dirk on his right hip and a saber on his left.

He nodded slightly at Wilhelm before approaching the bar, whispering something to Willem and taking a stool; carefully pushing his coat and weapons out behind him before sitting. He then handed the inn keep an envelope and in return, received an uncorked wine bottle of which he took a healthy swig before wiping his mouth and giving a soft grunt of thanks.
Back to top Go down

Erasmus de Brouwer Empty
PostSubject: Re: Erasmus de Brouwer   Erasmus de Brouwer Icon_minitimeSun Oct 07, 2007 1:08 am

*Willem send over the worst beer in the house because well any better would be too good for Jasper*

*Whispers to Wilhelm*

"Beware of those who hold back Gracious manners of the hand, They could be holding a Card up there sleave."

*becomes blinded by the light let in by Benoit"

*throughs his pewter mug at the door way in hope of hitting the person who would open it to expose Jaspers ever so blood shot eyes to the fresh rays of the sun"

"Close the Bloody DOOR!!"
Back to top Go down

Erasmus de Brouwer Empty
PostSubject: Re: Erasmus de Brouwer   Erasmus de Brouwer Icon_minitimeWed Oct 10, 2007 5:10 pm

"Well, Master Wilhelm, it seems you have things quite organised here, although I wonder whether it was the sunlight, the mug or the Frenchman that was commanded by you. Surely you cannot command all?"

Erasmus waves his jug at Willem.

Back to top Go down

Erasmus de Brouwer Empty
PostSubject: Re: Erasmus de Brouwer   Erasmus de Brouwer Icon_minitimeWed Oct 10, 2007 5:32 pm

Striking an exaggeratedly thoughtful pose Wilhelm says,

"Hmm. An excellent question. Mugs are too mundane for my taste, so it couldn't have been that. I've been known to command the French, but this ones coming was not anticipated. I suppose that leaves the sunlight. I'm rather surprised myself. I hadn't known until now that I have taken on Apollonian traits. Perhaps henceforth my enemies will be blinded as they seek to fire upon me."

Wilhelm lets out a heavy sigh.

"No, I suppose its not to be. I shall have to settle for using my mighty powers to smite imprudent drunkards."

"Returning the conversation to a more serious matter, I would like to say that I do not think of you as a humble "prawn" nor do I plan to snare you within my net. There was a time where I might have, but such things are in the past. I now sincerely hope that we may be of mutual benefit to each other, although I can understand if you find it difficult to believe me entirely."
Back to top Go down
OxBaker
Privateer Captain
Privateer Captain
OxBaker

Number of posts : 410
Registration date : 2007-09-10

Character sheet
Locations: Grenville
Production: Hemp, Rope, Canvas, Cotton, Sails, Textile Unrest Bundles
Requirements: Tar

Erasmus de Brouwer Empty
PostSubject: Re: Erasmus de Brouwer   Erasmus de Brouwer Icon_minitimeWed Oct 10, 2007 10:55 pm

Aidan approaches those seated at the table followed closely by a young man. "Good gentlemen, I pray you will forgive my intrusion with such a trivial matter but this young fellow... Was it Jack McBain?... has some deliveries for the Confederacy and I thought perchance one of you may be better suited to assist him?"

OOC: Hope it's ok but Jack was looking for a way into the conversation in order to introduce his character to the HC so I'm bridging his other post with this one, so long as people don't feel it's getting too crowded. You can read the other thread for some background.
Back to top Go down

Erasmus de Brouwer Empty
PostSubject: Re: Erasmus de Brouwer   Erasmus de Brouwer Icon_minitimeThu Oct 11, 2007 5:59 am

*Jasper pulls out some old gloves to put on his hands*

*looks over at Wilhelm*

"I guess I should be heading to the docks to unload some supplies then, it is already late in the day and I do believe that we have much needed supplies that have just come in to port Wilhelm. If my services are needed no longer here, might I help this young man with getting his delivery off his ship so that we may resupply the HC?"
Back to top Go down

Erasmus de Brouwer Empty
PostSubject: Re: Erasmus de Brouwer   Erasmus de Brouwer Icon_minitimeThu Oct 11, 2007 9:21 am

Looking up from his conversation with Erasmus, Wilhelm says,

"Jack, you say?" Your father would be Gillies, perhaps? Your family has an interesting history, or so I've heard. Perhaps you would care to teach us a little of it?"

With that, Wilhelm gives Jack a gaze, filled with meaning.
Back to top Go down

Erasmus de Brouwer Empty
PostSubject: Re: Erasmus de Brouwer   Erasmus de Brouwer Icon_minitimeThu Oct 11, 2007 11:53 am

Jack quietly breathes a sigh of relief upon hearing the words of the man sitting in front of him. Turning to the Bishop at his side and dipping his head in a nod of respect he says, “Thank ye, yur Eminence. Yuv led me to who Ah seek.”

The distinguished gentleman’s use of Jack’s name and his knowledge of his clan’s background could only mean the letter arrived ahead as he hoped.

Turning back Jack sees the man's eyes still fixed on him. “Aye, me Da be Gilles McBain, chief of Clan McBain and head of our small trading company. Ahv just arrived from Scotland with a cargo of victuals and spirits”…<his eyes dart around the room to be sure he is not overheard. Lowering his voice he continues… “an’ 30 barrels o’ black powder for The Highland Confederacy as token of good faith an’ support from Clan Chattan. But, ye and yur friends have me at disadvantage, sir; ye know of me an’ me family, but Ah know none of ye, by name or otherwise. May Ah sit down?”

Last edited by on Thu Oct 11, 2007 4:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

Erasmus de Brouwer Empty
PostSubject: Re: Erasmus de Brouwer   Erasmus de Brouwer Icon_minitimeThu Oct 11, 2007 12:37 pm

Wilhelm lets out a brief sigh and turns to Erasmus to a second with a wane smile before turning back to Jack.

"Well, I suppose that will do. I am Wilhelm von Somborn, proprietor-general of the Confederacy. I imagine a blond hair, blue eyed Hessian was about the last thing you were expecting, but everyone here has a story behind them, I assure you. I'll leave it to everyone else how much of theirs they wish to tell you."

Wilhelm looks around at the assembled members before continuing,

"I believe you've already met Bishop Aidan McDermott. The fellow with the rough edges is Jasper de Groot, and there are one or two others in the room, although whether they wish to introduce themselves or not, I don't know. You can understand that we are a might shy of newcomers, yes?"

Turning to Erasmus with a smile,

"Right?"
Back to top Go down

Erasmus de Brouwer Empty
PostSubject: Re: Erasmus de Brouwer   Erasmus de Brouwer Icon_minitimeThu Oct 11, 2007 12:49 pm

“Thankee Benoit.” Willem said from behind the counter.

“No, my thanks to you Master Innkeep.” Benoit finished his drink, put a coin on the counter and turned to leave.

Willem didn’t bother to argue that the man’s money was no good in his establishment; they’ve gone over it many times before and he’d finally learned the man was capable of arguing for eternity over such things. Instead he just gave a dissatisfied look and took up the coin along with the empty cup.

Before exiting Benoit nodded at Wilhelm’s table which was currently occupied by men that he had not yet been introduced to; of course he knew of all of them except the newest and biggest one. He smiled knowing Zacharie would fill him in later and then placed his hat as he opened the door and headed out.

‘I’m sure there will be introductions in due time.’ He made his way towards the central square, inserting his hand in his breast pocket to make sure the yellow card was still there.

((Once this forum decides to change the color, there’s no going back unless you retype everything L ))
Back to top Go down

Erasmus de Brouwer Empty
PostSubject: Re: Erasmus de Brouwer   Erasmus de Brouwer Icon_minitimeThu Oct 11, 2007 3:06 pm

With an exaggerated swing Erasmus raises his jug again. "What does a man have to do around here to get a beer?'

Casually nodding at Wilhelm, Erasmus turns to Jack McBain.

"Please have a seat, mister McBain, my treat ... if Willem cares to leave his bar for a moment!" Erasmus eyeballs Willem, then shows his companions an insecure smile.

"You must forgive me gentlemen, for my suspicious mind ... life hasn't been easy lately since things have changed ... politically. I must thank you Wilhelm, for your hospitality. We shall drink on that ... I feel like getting rid of a burden tonight. We will not be strangers in the morning."

Erasmus waves his jug again. "Goddammit! Can you believe that guy?" Then he turns to Aidan. "Have a seat, clergyman, you have the look of a thirsty man about you."

((edit: got it wilhelm, thanks))

Last edited by on Thu Oct 11, 2007 3:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Erasmus de Brouwer Empty
PostSubject: Re: Erasmus de Brouwer   Erasmus de Brouwer Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Erasmus de Brouwer
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next